You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KaptainKaybe

Wargaming, please make Saipan Tier 6 Instead.

Following the CV Rework, Should Saipan Be Tier 6 or 8?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Following the CV Rework, Should Saipan Be Tier 6 or 8?

• Saipan should be Tier 6. I do not want both premiums to be the same tier.
    • Saipan should be Tier 8. I payed for a certain tier and I want my money's worth.
    • I hate CVs, or I hate the CV rework, and I just want to talk about how much I hate them rather than picking a choice above.
    • Bacon.

28 comments in this topic

[DRACS]
Members
4,094 posts

Simple enough topic.

With the CV rework on the horizon, this is a rather annoying elephant in the room. People buy multiple premiums so they can have different ships at different tiers. For example, if a friend wants to play a different tier, one just needs to plop their captain in a different ship and voila! I'd personally love to have a single CV captain to play at multiple tiers. Much easier than leveling multiple captains, right?

USN has all of TWO CVs. Why would anyone in their right mind want BOTH of them to be the same tier? How does that make sense? Who buys multiple premiums at the same tier on the *same ship line*??

Solution: Is Saipan dropping down a tier? Then just credit owners of this ship the doubloon difference between tier 6 and 7. After all, players will have the ability to refund their CVs anyways, so it's not like they are losing out here. And Saipan owners I'm sure would be thrilled to keep their ship AND get some free gold out of this.

Am I wrong in my assessment? I know they'll play very differently, but I really don't see the need to have two tier 8 USN premiums. Especially given that tier 8 carriers get dropped into tier 10 matches with astonishing regularity.

EDIT: Added a poll. May as well let everyone's voice be heard instead of just mine.

Edited by KaptainKaybe
  • Bad 1

[SFROG]
Beta Testers
64 posts
5,182 battles
4 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

I know they'll play very differently, but I really don't see the need to have two tier 8 USN premiums. 

And you know that how?  Assuming you mean the Ent and Saipan specifically, I don't know they they will play differently from each other, or from the tech trees.  AFAIK, unless I missed a memo, they haven't said how they will distinguish them other than the usual premium benefits (more money, elite xp, etc).  As far as I know the gameplay of all cv's prem or tech will be effectively carbon copy with the only differences being number of plans in air/per attack and regen speed.  That's my bigger question, how will playing the saipan feel different from same tier us tech cv, or other premiums.  What will define their flavor?  If they're just "tech tree ship with prem bennies" then I have 0 motivation not to just change them into dubs. I don't need the extra money and convertable xp, I'd rather the dubs to convert xp from my other 70 premiums.

[DRACS]
Members
4,094 posts
4 minutes ago, Glocktalker69 said:

And you know that how?  Assuming you mean the Ent and Saipan specifically, I don't know they they will play differently from each other, or from the tech trees.  AFAIK, unless I missed a memo, they haven't said how they will distinguish them other than the usual premium benefits (more money, elite xp, etc).  As far as I know the gameplay of all cv's prem or tech will be effectively carbon copy with the only differences being number of plans in air/per attack and regen speed.  That's my bigger question, how will playing the saipan feel different from same tier us tech cv, or other premiums.  What will define their flavor?  If they're just "tech tree ship with prem bennies" then I have 0 motivation not to just change them into dubs. I don't need the extra money and convertable xp, I'd rather the dubs to convert xp from my other 70 premiums.

Oh, that's crazy easy. In fact, it would basically the same as it is now:

- Enterprise will have larger plane waves and more attacks per wave, but at the cost of slower and more fragile planes. Although, granted, if Enterprise keeps her tier 9 slot (I see no reason why she wouldn't), that means some of her planes will be quite tough indeed. Just as it is right now, I expect it to be balanced by having a larger reserve of rocket planes compared to the others. Maybe even give her extra fighter consumables so that her anti-air potential remains strong.
- Saipan would be the polar opposite. Smaller waves and less attacks per wave, but her planes would be very tough and very fast.

Note: This is a logical assessment based on how they play right now. It wouldn't really make sense to change that for Enterprise and Saipan players since it's already what they are used to. No reason to radically upend this playstyle.

[WOLF7]
Members
10,761 posts

So basically you want to ensure your premium CV is just as OP as it is now?:Smile_medal:

[DRACS]
Members
4,094 posts
2 minutes ago, awiggin said:

So basically you want to ensure your premium CV is just as OP as it is now?:Smile_medal:

Hmm? No one ever said they want her to be OP at her tier. I fully expect the ship to be balanced for it's tier. Why wouldn't I?

[A-I-M]
Members
1,397 posts
7,263 battles
23 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Who buys multiple premiums at the same tier on the *same ship line*??

Alabama & Massachusetts, and Arizona & WV '41 are glancing sideways at you and rolling their eyes, saying, "Who is THIS guy?"

• Boring 1

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
4,473 posts
14,393 battles

You are wrong in your assessment just as WG is also wrong! CVs do not need this rework at all!

• Bad 3

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,559 posts
13,442 battles

I think they're smart to keep premium CVs mostly at higher tiers than lower at this point in the game. People need time to understand how to play against the new CVs, so it's bad to clutter up the lower tiers with exotic ones. Let the low- and mid-tier CVs be normal for now so people can figure out how to play against the regular ones, and save the gimmicky ones for T8 and above.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
5,971 posts
7,952 battles

while it might seem sensible to place Saipan, with tier relevant planes (t7 for example) at t6, it would raise too much opposition from current owners. It won't happen.

[DRACS]
Members
4,094 posts
3 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Alabama & Massachusetts, and Arizona & WV '41 are glancing sideways at you and rolling their eyes, saying, "Who is THIS guy?"

LOL! There are TONS of USN BB premiums out there, and we had one of each of tiers 5, 6, 8, and 9 before all the others starting adding to the pile.

USN CVs have all of two premiums, and both are tier 8? Come on, man, there's a difference and you know it.

• Bad 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
5,971 posts
7,952 battles
Just now, Edgecase said:

I think they're smart to keep premium CVs mostly at higher tiers than lower at this point in the game. People need time to understand how to play against the new CVs, so it's bad to clutter up the lower tiers with exotic ones. Let the low- and mid-tier CVs be normal for now so people can figure out how to play against the regular ones, and save the gimmicky ones for T8 and above.

People will be free xp'ing to t8, as they do already. Saipan isn't exotic either. But, not to fear, there is no chance of Saipan ever being down tiered to t6.

[DRACS]
Members
4,094 posts
1 minute ago, LoveBote said:

while it might seem sensible to place Saipan, with tier relevant planes (t7 for example) at t6, it would raise too much opposition from current owners. It won't happen.

I'm a current owner and object ;)

That being said, it would actually be a good idea to put up a poll now that you mention it. ;)

[FARQD]
Members
482 posts
6,864 battles
6 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

You are wrong in your assessment just as WG is also wrong! CVs do not need this rework at all!

Thanks for deciding and giving out an opinion on behalf of the entire community. 

[SALVO]
Members
18,305 posts
18,887 battles
4 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

I don't see why it would raise such opposition.  I've advocated for the Saipan to be a tier 6 CV since I heard about the CV rework and that fact that they were only going to have even tier CVs.  I like the idea that there should be one prem USN CV at tier 6 and one at tier 8.  This isn't a case where the Saipan is "obviously" a tier 6 or a tier 8, like the Enterprise being a fairly obvious tier 8, or the Bama and Mass being obvious tier 8s.  The Saipan is a CVL, which means that she should be considerably less effective than a full blown fleet carrier such as the Enterprise.  To me, it makes completely sense that the Saipan should be a tier 6 premium CVL, and that it would be nonsensical to me for her to be at tier 8.

Oh, and BTW, will you soon be making another run, LoveBote?  :Smile_trollface:

Edited by Crucis
  • Cool 2

[A-I-M]
Members
1,397 posts
7,263 battles

1 minute ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Come on, man, there's a difference and you know it.

Sorry, but the question

32 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Who buys multiple premiums at the same tier on the *same ship line*??

is yours and you know it.

Ask a better one if the obvious answer is so problematic for you.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
5,971 posts
7,952 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Oh, and BTW, will you soon be making another run, LoveBote?  :Smile_trollface:

This weekend maybe, I have been taking a break much of this week. 

[SIDE]
Members
1,764 posts

Also, please make Kurfürst tier 7. Balance it like Stalingrad with the old “but it turns slow and can catch on fire” downsides.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
5,971 posts
7,952 battles
5 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

I'm a current owner and object ;)

That being said, it would actually be a good idea to put up a poll now that you mention it. ;)

Pity we cannot co author topics. Your turn on the Poll!

[SALVO]
Members
18,305 posts
18,887 battles
2 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

This weekend maybe, I have been taking a break much of this week. 

You did get the reference, I hope...

[SALVO]
Members
18,305 posts
18,887 battles
2 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

Also, please make Kurfürst tier 7. Balance it like Stalingrad with the old “but it turns slow and can catch on fire” downsides.

That's just dumb, bigblue.  The Saipan is not an obvious tier 8 by any stretch of the imagination.  She could just be a tier 6 just as easily as a tier 8.  It all depends on the planes the devs give her.

[SIDE]
Members
1,764 posts
30 minutes ago, Crucis said:

That's just dumb, bigblue.  The Saipan is not an obvious tier 8 by any stretch of the imagination.  She could just be a tier 6 just as easily as a tier 8.  It all depends on the planes the devs give her.

Ok, fine. Don’t put slow turning Kurf at 7. Sheesh. I was only joking (Unless they did it in which case I’d take full credit, lol) and agree with the Saipan concept although I don’t play carriers very much at all. 

Edited by thebigblue

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,931 posts
9,049 battles
52 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

USN has all of TWO CVs. Why would anyone in their right mind want BOTH of them to be the same tier? How does that make sense? Who buys multiple premiums at the same tier on the *same ship line*??

To this point - people that like a type and line, and do well with it, especially as 8 is considered one of the better money making and training tiers for experienced players. That and any difference or meaning in ships, such as Bama and Mass.

54 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Solution: Is Saipan dropping down a tier? Then just credit owners of this ship the doubloon difference between tier 6 and 7. After all, players will have the ability to refund their CVs anyways, so it's not like they are losing out here. And Saipan owners I'm sure would be thrilled to keep their ship AND get some free gold out of this.

If anything - Enterprise should drop to tier 6, while Saipan moves to tier 8. Odds are Saipan will be the same 1 of each as every other ship, barring maybe tier 4, likely gain access to Tiny Tim's, and have the faster, more powerful planes that belong at that tier. And likely play around with her plane numbers and all.

Enterprise, on the other hand, they basically rounded her up to tier 8. I think they may have moved the Hellcat to tier 6 in the rework or more accurately, that version as the F6F-3 is already the tier 6 fighter, can't remember, I know a point of contention is the Avengers being the starting tier 8 cause it's still tier 7, and the SBD-5 while listed as tier 7 makes it's first appearance at tier 6. Short of them actually keeping group numbers and attack groups the same, instead of the crap 1-2 at a time we got no idea what they are doing with this ship anyway. They could be altering how many attack and launch and all, again, reasons people want delays cause this is :etc_swear: we should be getting told up front.

I can justify with no problem the newer, better equipped CV with tier appropriate planes moving to 8 in the rework, more so than keeping the ship that is far older, despite upgrades, with more dated planes, maintaining it's tier.

Then again, Kaga should be tier 6 not 8 in this mess and more over - they shouldn't be getting rid of tier 7 in the first place.

[INTEL]
Members
990 posts
9,794 battles

Saipan needs to be T8. Owners got to seal club Rangers with her since she was released, Karma's a B####

• Bad 1