You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheTankBall

Leaves Bad Taste In My Mouth

27 comments in this topic

Members
2 posts
108 battles

so ya from warplanes not login me in (fond out servers r down for a update...) to this... simply put im new so i did the bot rounds for a little like u should then i went to random battles lost first time (witch i know was going to happen did it again lose but right after my stupid tin can of a ship got hit to blow up i just kicked right out and i couldnt log back in. it keeped on saying theres a server error... man u guys have S.... servers.... as a new player i think i'm not coming back even with the anime waifu ships that can be added... this has really left a bad taste in my mouth.. 

• Funny 3
  • Boring 3
  • Bad 2

[FML]
Members
2,132 posts
11,219 battles
5 minutes ago, TheTankBall said:

so ya from warplanes not login me in (fond out servers r down for a update...) to this... simply put im new so i did the bot rounds for a little like u should then i went to random battles lost first time (witch i know was going to happen did it again lose but right after my stupid tin can of a ship got hit to blow up i just kicked right out and i couldnt log back in. it keeped on saying theres a server error... man u guys have S.... servers.... as a new player i think i'm not coming back even with the anime waifu ships that can be added... this has really left a bad taste in my mouth.. 

Hi, welcome to WoWS.

The game is down for about an hour for some maintenence.  Usually, its down for only a minute or two a day. 

I suggest you stick with it.  It takes a few battles to learn how to manage a ship - you'll just need a bit more experience to work it out and you'll be fine. 

Edited by UltimateNewbie

[ARMDA]
Members
320 posts
2,518 battles

I'd suggest working on your grammar. It's completely normal to lose in a game you're unfamilar with; plus, experienced players do go back to lower tiers to blap unsuspecting players. I'd suggest playing more co-op to familiarize yourself with the mechanics of the game, such as aiming. Other than that, welcome to WoWs!

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[FYL]
Beta Testers
8 posts
545 battles
4 minutes ago, CapnFox said:

Servers are down for everyone, not just you.  It's very rare that this happens.

Who told the hamsters they could take a break!?

I blame the Hamster union for this mess!!!

• Funny 1

[ARMDA]
Members
320 posts
2,518 battles
6 minutes ago, skyydragonn said:

Who told the hamsters they could take a break!?

I blame the Hamster union for this mess!!!

One moment...Hamstergif.gif.a98390646aff44386c6201aae4ab9096.gif

The next...

IME6Dp0.thumb.png.fd06597421131c9399bda55ac42a69db.png

Or would you prefer...

301ocjd.png.bff0bcfbe496834f16906cd03ed2a141.png

Edited by destawaits
  • Funny 1

[FML]
Members
2,132 posts
11,219 battles
21 minutes ago, TheTankBall said:

In the meantime, the below information might be of assistance to you. 

Conceptually, the ship types - in a very general sense, with exceptions - fall into the following roles:

• Destroyers (DDs): Stealthy ninjas - they use their speed and concealment to set up ambush attacks on enemy capital ships with their torpedos, and they use their fast firing but low damage guns against other destroyers. 
    • Note: some DDs are better at killing enemy dds (like American DDs), and others are better at killing enemy capital ships with torpedos (like Japanese DDs) - this national flavour is common to this game, and you'll have to learn this as you go. 
  • Cruisers (CA/CLs): High damage-per-minute and accurate guns, but very squishy (ie, easy to kill) ships - their fast firing and moderate damage guns wreck destroyers and can put serious hurt into battleships if they are left unmolested... they are extremely vulnerable to enemy battleship guns in particular as they have no effective armour - instead, they must use hard cover (like islands) and smoke screens (including those deployed by friendly destroyers) to stay alive long enough to bring their firepower onto the enemy - caught out in the open, they do a lot of dying. 
    • Cruisers are possibly the hardest conventional class to do well in. 
    • CA = Heavy Cruiser (ie, armed wuth 8 inch guns or higher), and CLs = Light Cruiser (ie, armed with 6 inch guns or smaller). 
  • Battleships (BBs): High Alpha, usually low-ish damage per minute ships that can strike from  relatively long range - they are less accurate than cruisers, but by late tiers you dont really feel the difference. They have high hitpoints, and strong armour, but that does not make you immune to damage - torpedos, fires and battleship guns can all bring you down.  As you tend to be slow and not agile, make sure you are always near teammates in cruisers and destroyers who can help you screen faster/lighter enemies away from you.  
  • Aircraft carriers (CVs): A completely different style of play, more like an RTS like Command&Conquer than the FPS of the other styles.  Dominance of the air means that you can spot enemy ships, use dive bombers or torpedo bombers to attack enemy ships, and use your fighters to protect friendly ships from enemy carrier attacks.  
    • Carriers have a massively disproportionate impact on your team's chances of winning - do badly, and you'll keep losing.

For new players, I recommend the following as easy to learn and to play: 

• Destroyers: American destroyers are the easiest to play - their fast firing guns, and torpedoes on both sides (at low tier) means that its a fast, fun run-and-gun style, with great smoke screens.  They are very forgiving - rush in, gun enemy destroyers, and if you win and live, then rush up to a battleship and shove him up with torps... once you get more experience, you can do all of those things better, faster, longer etc. 
  • Cruisers: French cruisers are probably the easiest to play at low-mid tiers. Load HE, shoot slow targets at near your max range to set them on fire - when they repair those fires, set more.  Dodge incoming shells (particularly from battleships) by slamming into full reverse and throwing the rudder over into a hard turn - then accelerate away again before the next salvo comes.  Use your long-range torpedos to shoot down narrow alleys where the enemy is coming from - sometimes you'll get a hit, and it'll be great. More fires!
    • DO NOT start on the British Cruiser line - these ships take detailed understanding and experience of the game mechanics in order to play; things like target selection, map positioning, map awareness, spotting mechanics, AP bounce and shatter mechanics, smoke screens, fire detection range in smoke, sonar and torpedo aim all to be functional. Experienced players even struggle with this line.  Steer clear.  
  • Battleships: 
    • British: These are sturdy battleships that have excellent HE direct damage and high fire chance - unlike most battleships, shooting HE at things will make them go boom. Because of that, and because they have decent armour protection generally, these battleships are easy to learn: aim well, and profit. 
    • German: Much stronger armour, but wonky/inaccurate main guns - you'll mostly be shooting AP shells at enemy battleships and cruisers.  However, your battleships have good to excellent secondary battery (particularly from Tier 7) and are a defining feature of the line.  Because they are meant to be played up close to the enemy, these ships are easier to aim, take solid damage, and encourage your team to push the capture point you're currently on, helping to win games. 
  • Aircraft carriers: Personally, I suggest avoiding them entirely for now - they are very different to play and hard to do well at (and carriers have a massively disproportionate impact on your team's chances of winning - do badly, and you'll keep losing).  Whilst the first American Carrier, Langley, is the best at Tier 4, the Japanese (IJN) tech tree carriers from Tier 5 and up are superior to massively superior to their American carriers (for no historical reason). 

Once you have a few more battles under your belt, I strongly encourage you to read the following: 

#StandardWords

• Cool 3

Members
4,251 posts
4 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Battleships: 

• British: These are sturdy battleships that have excellent HE direct damage and high fire chance - unlike most battleships, shooting HE at things will make them go boom. Because of that, and because they have decent armour protection generally, these battleships are easy to learn: aim well, and profit. 
  • German: Much stronger armour, but wonky/inaccurate main guns - you'll mostly be shooting AP shells at enemy battleships and cruisers.  However, your battleships have good to excellent secondary battery (particularly from Tier 7) and are a defining feature of the line.  Because they are meant to be played up close to the enemy, these ships are easier to aim, take solid damage, and encourage your team to push the capture point you're currently on, helping to win games. 

I will disagree here, if you truly want to know how to operate a BB, in guns, angling, situational awareness the best learning line is the US line.  Because of their general slower speed you must know where you are in the game.  Guns will hit fairly well at most ranges, both long and short.  They can both snipe and brawl (not the best but can).  If you do not learn how to angle it will punish you.

German line will teach you many bad habits which do not translate to other lines, and British HE doesn't move to other lines either.  AP is the best bet in BBs for most situation.  (In my Giulo Cesare with 1/2 health against a French Lyon, almost full health, if he had been using AP instead of HE I'd have been done for, instead I took off 3/4ths of his health with AP before he finished me off.)

US BBs are a jack of all trades, but are not the best in any category (except maybe AA).  However, unlike many other lines, I know in the US BB I can be very flexible to whatever the battle throws at me.  They are not easy, but learning how to play the US line makes the other lines even easier.

[FML]
Members
2,132 posts
11,219 battles
4 hours ago, Wowzery said:

They are not easy, but learning how to play the US line makes the other lines even easier.

I see your point, but that is exactly why I don’t suggest USN BBs for new players. 

For brand new players, British BB s don’t require knowledge of correct ammunition choices to be effective. Taking big hits whilst doing nothing back isn’t fun - UK BBs don’t have that problem. 

Similarly, German battleships have good armour so they are more forgiving if new players try to cross the T or etc. 

Do these things teach bad habits? Maybe. But for new players, they have more important things to learn, like how to aim, and what the maps look like, and where to go. Don’t need to overload then with unfun mechanics too early.

And in that note, USN BBs don’t get fun to T8. Before then, they are just slow inaccurate bricks that are just slow. 

[KRAK]
Members
2,015 posts
14,724 battles
3 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I see your point, but that is exactly why I don’t suggest USN BBs for new players. 

For brand new players, British BB s don’t require knowledge of correct ammunition choices to be effective. Taking big hits whilst doing nothing back isn’t fun - UK BBs don’t have that problem. 

Similarly, German battleships have good armour so they are more forgiving if new players try to cross the T or etc. 

Do these things teach bad habits? Maybe. But for new players, they have more important things to learn, like how to aim, and what the maps look like, and where to go. Don’t need to overload then with unfun mechanics too early.

And in that note, USN BBs don’t get fun to T8. Before then, they are just slow inaccurate bricks that are just slow. 

New Mexico is one the best and most accurate USN BBs much more accurate than the NC for example.

[WGA]
Administrator
794 posts
454 battles
6 minutes ago, Vaffu said:

New Mexico is one the best and most accurate USN BBs much more accurate than the NC for example.

Hello!

The New Mexico is more of a shotgun style BB i.e. Fuso where it relies on volume of shells than accuracy. 

The North Carolina is a very accurate battleship and numbers wise is more accurate than the New Mexico =).

• Cool 1

[KRAK]
Members
2,015 posts
14,724 battles
5 minutes ago, iKami said:

Hello!

The New Mexico is more of a shotgun style BB i.e. Fuso where it relies on volume of shells than accuracy. 

The North Carolina is a very accurate battleship and numbers wise is more accurate than the New Mexico =).

I could never hit a thing with NC and had much better success with NM. I was going by my own personal experiences didn't even look at the stats.

[WGA]
Administrator
794 posts
454 battles
1 minute ago, Vaffu said:

I could never hit a thing with NC and had much better success with NM. I was going by my own personal experiences didn't even look at the stats.

We all have different experiences with ships =).

For me I found the NM to be slow, inaccurate and unwieldy. 

Others have found the NM to be one of their favorite ships.

That is the joy of having so many choices =)!

[KRAK]
Members
2,015 posts
14,724 battles
Just now, iKami said:

I also could not hit a thing with Iowa and many like that ship as well.

I loved the NM it was slow as all get out but once you got in closer I found it to be quite powerful.

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
3,760 posts
10,278 battles
1 hour ago, Vaffu said:

your personal experience is that you actually are more accurate in your NC than you are in your NM.....

[D12]
[D12]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,124 posts
9,316 battles
1 hour ago, iKami said:

I loved them both!

[KRAK]
Members
2,015 posts
14,724 battles
1 hour ago, Ducky_shot said:

your personal experience is that you actually are more accurate in your NC than you are in your NM.....

Oddly I never remember being able to hit a thing with the NC unless I got within 8 to 10 km. The NM I sank more ships with and could hit things without having to get into blind man's range.

[WOLF1]
Members
3,808 posts
1,513 battles
3 hours ago, iKami said:

I still love that Wyoming shotgun...

[ARMDA]
Members
320 posts
2,518 battles

I liked the Colorado. She may have been a tad inaccurate, but her 406s felt great. She taught me to shoot at broadsiding cruisers and brawl with BBs.

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,902 posts
4,248 battles
21 hours ago, CapnFox said:

Servers are down for everyone, not just you.  It's very rare that this happens.

twice a year at most, i cant recall the last time it happened

[KP]
Beta Testers
2,482 posts
12,162 battles

From the title I was expecting something along the lines of some zucchini and a prostitute, maybe some dust off your monitor.

• Funny 1

[WOLF5]
Beta Testers
355 posts
2,588 battles

So you encountered server maintenance and are going to rage quit because of it. Sounds like you haven't been in online gaming very long.