You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
freggo

How to support DD

89 comments in this topic

[FAGA]
Members
302 posts
3,513 battles

I am fairly new to WOW and have spent a fair bit of reading and watching Youtube vids to learn the basics.

One complaint I see quite often is the lack of team play in Randoms, especially from DD drivers.

I dabble mainly in Cruisers and Battleships and would love to hear from DD Captains how they would want to be supported by either CAs or BBs.

For those of you who played since the last decade this is all obvious of course but for newbies it is rather frustrating to be called out for not providing support when there is nobody telling us what is expected of us!

[GODS]
Members
281 posts
9,842 battles

play some dd so you can figure it out yourself.  Its too much to try to explain because its just an instinct at this point lol

• Bad 1
  • Angry 1

[FAGA]
Members
302 posts
3,513 battles
Just now, Rickjoshi1765 said:

play some dd so you can figure it out yourself.  Its too much to try to explain because its just an instinct at this point lol

Imaging the Air Force telling its next generation fighter pilots to fly B-52s for a while so they can figure out how to best protect them instead of teaching them :-)

With that kind of response it is no wonder that DDs do not get support.

So instead of providing support I go after my fav activity in WOW... hunting DDs and blowing their little overpowered kajaks to pieces.

Then, after I am done smiling, it is time for CV hunting :-)

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
433 posts

You are going to get yelled at in chat for various things no matter what you do.  The long of the short of it is though, if a friendly DD lights up an enemy DD and you are in range, send it to the bottom it as soon as possible.  If you can take out one of their DDs and keep one of yours, you gained an advantage for your team.

• Cool 7

[PSP]
Members
8,051 posts

You can support a DD by getting close enough to radar and reveal a hidden threat in a contested cap. You also can support the DD by positioning yourself in such a way as to be able to fire on any revealed threat. 

• Cool 4

[SYN]
Members
3,271 posts
15,259 battles

One simple way that many BB players in particular fail to do is to shoot at the enemy DD when it is lit up. Especially early game capping. 

One hit of 2-3k makes a huge difference to a DD v DD duel.

If your DD wins it makes it significantly easier for the team, if it loses all of a sudden you have no spotting and little warning of incoming torps.

• Cool 5

[CHMC]
[CHMC]
Members
334 posts
8,378 battles

This is all from observation but I'm pretty sure you help them by staying as far away as you can, not using any consumables like radar, hiding behind islands so you can't shoot the enemy, and expecting them to do everything.

• Funny 7
  • Boring 2

Members
878 posts
5,073 battles

Stay within effective range and prioritize enemy DDs and radar cruisers. It's a simple concept. Executing it without overextending/exposing yourself and getting killed for little gain is the hard part and the only way to learn how to do that is by playing the game. 

Also play DDs. Nothing will give you a better appreciation for what a DD should do and how best to help them in other ship types than by playing them yourself. 

• Cool 1

Members
114 posts
9,091 battles

If you are in a cruiser, follow the DD but not necessarily behind him, keep a distance of 3-5km depending on your own concealment, keeping in mind your positioning as in ways to get out if things get hot or places to protect your sides. When friendly DD spots another DD, shoot that DD. Coordinate with friendly DD on laying you a smoke screen for you. In a high tier battle where there are radar, your friendly DD should not cap immediately until nearby radars have been used or destroyed.

If you are in a BB, follow that DD and cruiser. Shoot at red DD if spotted, but if a red cruiser is spotted, shoot the cruiser to disable or deter it.

It's an intricate balance of rock-paper-scissors going on there. DDs in front, cruisers in the middle, BBs in the back or next to cruiser. This all depends heavily on the DD player. That's why the team that loses their DDs first usually loses the battle.

• Cool 1

Members
5,159 posts
9,646 battles

Almost every piece of advice that has been given here is so situational that it's better not even being said.

The BEST way to understand how to support something is to play that thing and require that support. And then play those two classes that have to interact interchangeably for a while.

So you play DD a few times and end up in a situation where support would have helped.

Then you play CA behind it a few more times and try to be in those situations where you can help, but realize that sometimes it's not always possible because of other factors.

Then play DD some more and you'll try to limit your engagements to when your cruiser(s) can help, but realize that sometimes you have to do things that are important regardless of support.

Now as CA again, you might start to notice when your DD ally will have to go for these important things, and try better to line yourself up for it.

And so on and so on. The more you think beyond yourself, about the ships around you and their goals, how best to handle a fight, a whole cap, half the map, the whole map, the more you will think as 2 classes supporting each-other, as a unit fighting for a cap, as a group fighting for map control, as a team to win a battle.

You don't have to be good at every class, but even just experiencing it as much as possible will improve your play of another class. How better to fight with them as allies or against them as enemies.

In summary, the best way to help your team is to have experienced requiring it, so the better you can assist.

Edited by Pulicat
  • Cool 3

[GODS]
Members
281 posts
9,842 battles
7 hours ago, freggo said:

Imaging the Air Force telling its next generation fighter pilots to fly B-52s for a while so they can figure out how to best protect them instead of teaching them :-)

With that kind of response it is no wonder that DDs do not get support.

So instead of providing support I go after my fav activity in WOW... hunting DDs and blowing their little overpowered kajaks to pieces.

Imagine this being just a game where people figure stuff out.  

• Bad 2

[STAR]
Members
2,955 posts
8,064 battles

Support and team play goes both ways, this is what many players dont get. BBs and CA/CLs should support DDs?Yes. But DD also should support BBs and CA/CLs.

I always laugh when i see a DD asking for support but he is hiding behind a rock or inside smoke. I cant support you if you dont spot/scout for me... I need that scouting to shoot at enemy ships and position my ship properly to best help you. Also, many DD players forget that they are faster than BBs and crusiers. I see many DDs rushing too far foward and the team isnt in range to give any proper support.  

[H_]
Members
1,256 posts

It is funny some nights when you go to the risk of getting "radar-ed" only to have your CA's and BB's ignoring the threat to you and taking on other BB's you've spotted because that's where the point are........and, you die yet another radar death because all the CA's and BB's wanted was to shoot at other CA's and BB's....  It makes the radar cruisers and enemy DD's giggle:  fresh meat!!!    All for one; and, more for me !  And, we wonder why DD drivers are ignoring their primary duties and sitting back waiting till the BB's and CA's sort themselves out...  Fool me once........

• Cool 2

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
626 posts
1,459 battles

COMMUNICATION is Key - Announce intentions if DD does not do so first.  No one wants to be the first to move without knowing support is on the way.

Remember you need all 3 to push, DD-CA/CL-BB.  Tell the DD you are going to push Cap A and need CA support as well.  If you move into a Cap with a Destroyer, 2 Cruisers and a Battleship it is pretty much yours.

Destroyers will spot and cap but can only fight another DD.

Cruisers need to take out enemy DD's first, then other cruisers.

Battleships need to take out cruisers first (especially Radar, then focus on battleships if no cruisers left.  However, after their Destroyers and Cruisers are gone BB's will most likely retreat fast.

Granted a BB is in a tough place he has to take bow on fire from enemy battleship while directing his fire to cruisers which seems like a poor deal but his fire is best against Cruisers and a live Destroyer will make killing that battleship a whole lot easier since he can torp and even if he misses he can make the enemy BB show is broadside to you.

(Almost like the Spartans Phalanx where the person next to you raised their shield to cover you and you cover the next person.  You have to rely on each other.)

If you can get all 3 working on a single goal you should be in a good place.

Getting all 3 groups to commit to a plan, that is the hard part.  But if you take the initiative I think people will follow you.

"BB heading to A cap, need DD to spot and 2 cruisers for back up, everyone on board?"

Edited by SJ_Sailer

Members
1,626 posts
8,563 battles

As @Pulicat said, its a dance between the ships. Being close enough for radar, or to shoot the red dds is only one small piece. You need a lot of experience in both classes to understand how they can support each other. For example, as a CA i will stay far enough behind you so I remain unspotted when you spot the red DD. However, if you see the red dd and smoke up blocking LOS were both [edited].

[-TOG-]
[-TOG-]
Members
99 posts
4,409 battles

When playing DDs, its always nice to have your CVs send fighters our in front of you...

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,577 posts
13,484 battles

Shoot stuff that your DD lights, prioritizing stuff that is about to get him whomped (usually the red DD that's spotting him back). Be in a position to do that.

• Cool 1

[KOI-S]
Members
236 posts
1,509 battles
6 hours ago, Camo68 said:

One simple way that many BB players in particular fail to do is to shoot at the enemy DD when it is lit up. Especially early game capping. 

If your DD wins it makes it significantly easier for the team, if it loses all of a sudden you have no spotting and little warning of incoming torps.

^So true.

Sometimes the phrase of, "We can't help you because you are unwilling to help yourself", rings true as well.

It behooves CC and BB captains to do everything they can to sink opposing DD's as fast as possible. Even if it disappears briefly, being ready to shoot when it reappears, is crucial in early game and can even be game altering.

The amount of times I've called for DD's to be taken down, and only 1 of like 4 even attempt to shoot it (in randoms obviously) is mind boggling. When 2 DD's are squaring off trying to cap, the one with support wins..period.

While not always a foregone conclusion, the team that has DD's left is most likely to win,  especially if no CV's are present, it really is that simple.

So please, help yourself, give a friendly DD your support, and wreck his opponent that is keeping them revealed (other DD or Radar ships) forcing him/her to retreat or be sunk.

Edited by xovian

[WOLF6]
Members
2,301 posts
5,128 battles

Think about how other cruisers m, with and without radar will approach a cap. Try to ensure you can fire on those approaches. If a red ship shoots at your DD, shoot that ship. If it shoots at you or another green other than the DD, shoot the red DD. 

Yes, you’re probably exposed. So is your DD. If he dies, your odds of winning decline. Trade your health for increased odds of victory. 

[SIDE]
Members
1,764 posts
9 hours ago, freggo said:

Overpowered kayaks!! Love it!

[SIDE]
Members
1,764 posts
11 minutes ago, Thornir said:

Think about how other cruisers m, with and without radar will approach a cap. Try to ensure you can fire on those approaches. If a red ship shoots at your DD, shoot that ship. If it shoots at you or another green other than the DD, shoot the red DD. 

Yes, you’re probably exposed. So is your DD. If he dies, your odds of winning decline. Trade your health for increased odds of victory. 

Thornir makes great points here. DD are high priority targets. Anything you can do to draw fire away from green DD and help turn red ships away from cap will help. Only thing I would add to Thornirs comments is, when able, really try to focus down radar boats and keep them 10km or more from dd operations.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
626 posts
1,459 battles
16 minutes ago, Thornir said:

That is the trick of it, CA's and BB's have to target their respective best matches CA>DD  and   BB >CA  even though someone else may be firing on them they need the discipline to aim their fire where it is needed most instead of returning fire to whom is firing on them.

• Cool 2

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
626 posts
1,459 battles
20 minutes ago, Thornir said:

Remember BB's and CA's have heal,  DD's do not.  Every HP they lose is gone for good, no getting it back.  A DD that survives a battle with 1,000 or less HP is sitting the rest of the game out on the edges taking 2-5% chance stealth torp shots not doing anything that can contribute to a win.

• Cool 1

[FAGA]
Members
302 posts
3,513 battles
8 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

You can support a DD by getting close enough to radar and reveal a hidden threat in a contested cap. You also can support the DD by positioning yourself in such a way as to be able to fire on any revealed threat. 

That is not always easy as DDs run off to the next cap at full speed while i am still heating up the boilers to get that tub of a BB moving.

[FAGA]
Members
302 posts
3,513 battles
8 hours ago, Camo68 said:

Most of my BBs are set up for secondaries. At game start the first thing I do is look for the nearest red DD and, no matter what distance, make him by priority target so I do not forget the bugger once he is in range. Thing with hydro is you have to be close for it to work and getting close takes a while for a fat BB (at least up to the T7s I play); my Bismarck is not ready; boy is she expensive to outfit).

Edited by freggo
typo