You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
jags_domain

Notser vid about captain skills. Will stealth build be worth it?

44 comments in this topic

[SOV]
Members
1,375 posts

Its a few days away to CV in every game!

Notser did a vid about commander skills and I am wondering if AA and stealth will be worth building for?

There will be at least 1 cv in every game, and thanks to the DD buff via nerf to stealth for crusiers and BB. It seams that everyone will be spotted most of the time.

The points that went to AA and stealth could now be used for other things. A mega zombie build or every t2 commander skills.

What ideas do you have instead of stealth and AA?

[PONL]
Members
61 posts
6,122 battles
9 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

Its a few days away to CV in every game!

Notser did a vid about commander skills and I am wondering if AA and stealth will be worth building for?

There will be at least 1 cv in every game, and thanks to the DD buff via nerf to stealth for crusiers and BB. It seams that everyone will be spotted most of the time.

The points that went to AA and stealth could now be used for other things. A mega zombie build or every t2 commander skills.

What ideas do you have instead of stealth and AA?

I do not agree with the latest notser CV related videos and I think that is misinforming the community more than anything else.

My recommendation, wait for CV rework hits live server, play some battles and then adapt from that. You will have more information then, REAL information.

Edited by narffx
  • Cool 7
  • Boring 1

[SOV]
Members
1,375 posts
2 minutes ago, narffx said:

I do not agree with the latest notser CV related videos and I think that is misinforming the community more than anything else.

My recommendation, wait for CV rework hits live server, play some battles and then adapt from that. You will have more information then.

Very much agree.  I have been amused by Zerra channel lately as well.  He is like our local weather forcaster predicting the end of the world with the coming snow storm.  the storm gets here and its an inch.

You have the best approach!!!!

Members
20,784 posts
5,614 battles
10 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

I can only guess about the CV effect, but keep in mind, as far as the CE nerf, the actual concealment lost isn't all that major for most ships.

I mean, say you have a CA with 12km base concealment. Right now, CE gets you 12-12%, or roughly 10.6km concealment. After the change, 12-10%, or 10.8km concealment.

If we take a more extreme example, a BB with 18km base concealment, we get 18-14%, or roughly 15.4km concealment. After the change, 18-10%, or 16.2km concealment.

I can see it being more of choice for things like IJN and KM BBs, it isn't a huge deal for other ships.

It's going to basically make it a bit harder for big BBs and CVs to hide, and a bit easier for DDs to spot.

More of a tweak than a big change.

Members
1,294 posts
7,658 battles

i haven't watched his video but with the CE nerf and the possibility of CVs being in every/most match, CE is not as good as it once was.  It will still be mandatory on most DDs, and it will still be a good skill for most cruisers and some BBs. 

Survival skills will be as important as ever, maybe even more so.  With CVs being DoT focused, not having skills to mitigate that will make you an easy target to farm.(on top of all of the other stuff)

I feel like secondary builds got the biggest hit, as they require so many points to make them worth while, leaving little for other skills.  The one upside to that build is you semi spec into AA builds while going for a secondary one. 

• Cool 2

[OKM]
Members
160 posts
2,299 battles
46 minutes ago, Frederick_The_Great said:

i haven't watched his video but with the CE nerf and the possibility of CVs being in every/most match, CE is not as good as it once was.  It will still be mandatory on most DDs, and it will still be a good skill for most cruisers and some BBs. 

Survival skills will be as important as ever, maybe even more so.  With CVs being DoT focused, not having skills to mitigate that will make you an easy target to farm.(on top of all of the other stuff)

I feel like secondary builds got the biggest hit, as they require so many points to make them worth while, leaving little for other skills.  The one upside to that build is you semi spec into AA builds while going for a secondary one. 

But, the new AA skills are quite lackluster. Before AFT and BFT where good all rounder but now I wonder if they are really useful for AA.

Members
1,294 posts
7,658 battles
12 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

But, the new AA skills are quite lackluster. Before AFT and BFT where good all rounder but now I wonder if they are really useful for AA.

I would imagine that everything related to CVs will be changed in the next few months. 

[SOV]
Members
1,375 posts
8 minutes ago, Frederick_The_Great said:

I would imagine that everything related to CVs will be changed in the next few months. 

True

[JAV]
Beta Testers
281 posts
7,487 battles

To me it looks like WG need to push CV rework back to other update. They need to remove meat from this next update and let it cook longer.

[ADPT2]
Beta Testers
587 posts
1,640 battles

Couldn't care less what Propaganda Minister Notser has to say anymore.

• Funny 3
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 7

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
586 posts
1,216 battles
12 minutes ago, Patton3rdarmy13 said:

To me it looks like WG need to push CV rework back to other update. They need to remove meat from this next update and let it cook longer.

Only problem is that they aren't getting enough participation in the PTS for better data...almost have to throw it to live servers to get that.  If only WG offered a premium ship of your choice for playing 50 games or so on the PTS...that would help! :Smile_Default:

• Cool 1

[SBS]
Members
3,257 posts
2,408 battles
Just now, Bonfor said:

Only problem is that they aren't getting enough participation in the PTS for better data...almost have to throw it to live servers to get that. 

Not almost.  WG has been very upfront that the rework is going to balanced on the live server.  They said that from day one of the announcement.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
758 posts
7,344 battles
15 minutes ago, Bonfor said:

Only problem is that they aren't getting enough participation in the PTS for better data...almost have to throw it to live servers to get that.  If only WG offered a premium ship of your choice for playing 50 games or so on the PTS...that would help! :Smile_Default:

How about a PEF?  Then I wouldn't have to grind it and would have time for the PTS... :Smile_unsure: but for now, it's gotten zip.

p.s. Here's that +1 I owed ya. 

• Cool 1

[ADPT2]
Beta Testers
587 posts
1,640 battles

Haha, it appears Propaganda Minister Notser has a couple fanbois here :P

• Funny 1
  • Boring 3
  • Bad 1

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,517 posts
11,877 battles

Wait ~2 weeks and people will stop playing with cvs again.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,304 posts
15,805 battles
3 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

Not almost.  WG has been very upfront that the rework is going to balanced on the live server.  They said that from day one of the announcement.

Every player in this game needs Beta Tester tags.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

Members
1,123 posts
7,679 battles
4 hours ago, Y_Nagato said:

AFT will still be useful but BFT will have limited use on non DD since it will only buff short range AA.

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,900 posts
4,248 battles

you always build concealment, unless you really know what youre doing.

[5BS]
Members
5,679 posts

The concealment changes, by the numbers, are effectively meaningless:

On 10/23/2018 at 8:05 AM, _RC1138 said:

Except it's not, here's the complete tables of every ship in the game and the difference between the current mindetect and new mindetect:

ltQnDpj.jpgXhYfVuA.jpgiz5nNMI.jpgQCaEqDF.jpgNa7sVRP.jpgdwgcvQj.jpgVBKrsoy.jpgWin5MmW.jpg

As you can see the vast, vast, VAST majority of ships will see a very small change in detect range. This is a nerf that isn't a nerf.

Ignoring the Alaska (which is fair) only the Pensacola (lol) loses more than a quarter of a km of spotting distance under this change. For perspective, most 30-ish knot ships in the game actually travel closer to ~140-165 km per hour (due to range compression, by the math of distance traveled to average speed tests, this does NOT actually work out to 2x, much closer to 3x in actuality). That means that new extra *quarter* kilometer takes a mere 5 to 6 seconds to cross, assuming that target is *stationary.* If it's on a CBDR (constant bearing, decreasing range, aka a collision course) parrellel to the target (head to head) on an equal speed target that time drops to ~2-2.5 seconds. So that means the DD traveling towards a Baltimore to contest a cap under this change gets a whole 2 to 3 seconds MORE time to react than it did before, less if it's faster and/or using engine boost. Oh be still my heart. As a hard core USN and RN Cruiser player, if this makes DD's stfu about 'constant nerfs' it's more than worth it.

As a general 'rule' most cruisers lose about 0.20 to 0.25 km of spotting distance, and BB's ~double that (0.50 to 0.60 at the higher end), which, assuming at least one of the two are stationary, translates into a 5 or 10 second extra drop. This is a non-change for Cruisers and a slight annoyance for some BB's. That said, most BB's suffering the higher end change, were ALREADY spottable from space (KM, IJN), and has a much greater effect on slower BB's (whose own speed translates into more reaction time for a target) or people who play BB's statically. Basically the primary people punished by this are bow camping BB's and T5-T6 Dreadnoughts.

Now that all said, I *do* think preserving the gun ratios on BB's is needed, especially for shorter ranged BB's (gun ratio is defined by me as the ratio of max (non spotter plane) gun range over detect range, both in km). The lower the gun ratio, the less 'comfortable' a ship typically is, and as such, while decreasing concealment may be fine, raising the range to *preserve* *existing* ratios should be done. In most cases this would involve adding less than 0.5 to 1 km of gun range.

[WOLF7]
Members
212 posts
3,786 battles

One point that Notser is right was about the catapult fighter plane. It may be the main AA defense for BB with bad AA such as Musashi. I Wonder If It is Worth to spend one skill point to have Double fighter planes, since It decrease their speed by 20%. 

Edited by demeflac
Mispelling

[TACG]
Beta Testers
787 posts
2,157 battles
8 hours ago, Bonfor said:

Hell, all they would have to do is make all XP earned on PTS free XP and/or elite commander XP on live, and many more would play it.

In a game based on grinding taking away the reward of the grind makes doing the testing much less appealing.

• Cool 3

[DANKY]
Members
689 posts
1,944 battles
1 hour ago, demeflac said:

One point that Notser is right was about the catapult fighter plane. It may be the main AA defense for BB with bad AA such as Musashi. I Wonder If It is Worth to spend one skill point to have Double fighter planes, since It decrease their speed by 20%. 

Worth it? Catapult fighters are getting a boost in effectiveness, so that one point may become mandatory in low-AA ships. Double catapult fighters could nearly wipe out same-tier CV squads. 

I could imagine it forcing a tactic where the CV baits catapult fighters and then either faffs off for 30s or comes back with another squad. 

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,234 posts
4,116 battles
6 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

No crap. Three years on and they still don't have a finished or a 'live' product yet despite the 'live' announcement. Maybe they are starting to realize you cant slap some pixel boats on WoT and call it good.

Im starting to seriously wonder if we will see a polished, finished WoWS 1.0 and 1.xx in my remaining lifetime. Its starting to remind me of a digital version of the elevated rail [edited] we are dealing with here.

[WOLF2]
Members
2,377 posts
14,173 battles
10 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Heh, so True ^