You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Cargo_Joe

County Class Cruisers

Would you like to see a heavy cruiser from the County Class cruiser line?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a heavy cruiser from the County Class cruiser line?

• Yes
    • No

18 comments in this topic

Members
24 posts
2,152 battles

I would like to see the County Class Cruisers (CA) in this game.  A London Class heavy cruiser would be a nice addtion. The Class B cruisers would be a good addtyion as well.  The HMS EXETER would make a nice premium.

The possiblity of the Repulse or Renown (CB) would also round-out the line nicely.

Edited by HMS_Guinness

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,865 posts
12,189 battles
5 minutes ago, HMS_Guinness said:

I would like to see the County Class Cruisers (CA) in this game.  A London Class heavy cruiser would be a nice addtion. The Class B cruisers would be a good addtyion as well.  The HMS EXETER would make a nice premium.

The possiblity of the Repulse or Renown (CB) would also round-out the line nicely.

Exeter is being worked on now.

• Cool 2

[KSE]
Members
7,737 posts
8,072 battles

Exeter is already on the way, and BC's will be in a BC or BB line, not in a CA line, if those BC's ever even make it into the game.

• Cool 2

Members
24 posts
2,152 battles
2 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

Exeter is being worked on now.

Great news. Thank you!

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,982 posts
4,867 battles

Given that Exeter will be a tier 5 premium, and her older sister York will almost certainly be a tier 5 CA line ship, I expect the County class at tier 6 and/or 7.

I imagine HMS Kent as the tier 6 tech tree CA, and maybe HMS London in her 1941 modernisation as the tier 7 tech tree CA.

Members
5,135 posts
5,958 battles
23 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Given that Exeter will be a tier 5 premium, and her older sister York will almost certainly be a tier 5 CA line ship, I expect the County class at tier 6 and/or 7.

I imagine HMS Kent as the tier 6 tech tree CA, and maybe HMS London in her 1941 modernisation as the tier 7 tech tree CA.

Wait, why exactly would County-class CAs succeed the York-class in the tech tree(If we'll even get a CA line for the RN)?

I know WG doesn't strictly adhere to class succession for tiering, but it does strike me as odd that they'd put the supposedly more advanced ship at a lower tier than the one(s) preceding it historically.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,502 posts
10,199 battles

The British built so few CA's that it would probably work best as a premium.

[LANCE]
Members
456 posts
4,059 battles

HMS Exceter will be a definite buy for me but what I’d really like to see is a Premium CL to replace HMS Belfast (which I do own). Shouldn’t take too many guesses to figure out which one is like ... I’ve written about it enough times and it’s mentioned in my signature :cap_haloween:

Members
2,575 posts
3,565 battles
7 minutes ago, Bravo4zero said:

HMS Exceter will be a definite buy for me but what I’d really like to see is a Premium CL to replace HMS Belfast (which I do own). Shouldn’t take too many guesses to figure out which one is like ... I’ve written about it enough times and it’s mentioned in my signature :cap_haloween:

Exceter or Exeter? Because latter is a real ship and a real place, and the former isn't.

Edited by Harathan

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
12,982 posts
4,867 battles
1 hour ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Wait, why exactly would County-class CAs succeed the York-class in the tech tree(If we'll even get a CA line for the RN)?

I know WG doesn't strictly adhere to class succession for tiering, but it does strike me as odd that they'd put the supposedly more advanced ship at a lower tier than the one(s) preceding it historically.

Why are you so surprised? The Counties were bigger and had an extra turret. 

58 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The British built so few CA's that it would probably work best as a premium.

The RN have enough designs to fill a line. There could easily be a County class as a tech tree ship and a premium. Though the CA wasn't right for the UK's needs, the concept was revisited multiple times during the war, and A number of blueprint designs were made.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,502 posts
10,199 battles
3 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

The RN have enough designs to fill a line. There could easily be a County class as a tech tree ship and a premium. Though the CA wasn't right for the UK's needs, the concept was revisited multiple times during the war, and A number of blueprint designs were made.

Designs is the issue as they only built a few CA's after WWI. I would really prefer ships that were at least laid down like the PEF on which construction was started.

Members
2,575 posts
3,565 battles
9 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Why are you so surprised? The Counties were bigger and had an extra turret. 

Tough choice. While York class were just trimmed down Counties, they traded that turret for extra armor. There's precedent; Pensacola used to be T7 behind Cleveland at T6, but it could go either way.

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
12,982 posts
4,867 battles
25 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Designs is the issue as they only built a few CA's after WWI. I would really prefer ships that were at least laid down like the PEF on which construction was started.

The issue is going to be subjective. For me at least I'm fine with the 'what if' ships. I like that ships which never got a chance to fight like Amagi and Minotaur can come to life in this game.

18 minutes ago, Harathan said:

Tough choice. While York class were just trimmed down Counties, they traded that turret for extra armor. There's precedent; Pensacola used to be T7 behind Cleveland at T6, but it could go either way.

Are you suggesting we put the Counties at tier 4 below Exeter and York?:Smile_teethhappy:

Heck 8x 203mm at tier 5 is going to be too much.

Members
2,575 posts
3,565 battles
2 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

The issue is going to be subjective. For me at least I'm fine with the 'what if' ships. I like that ships which never got a chance to fight like Amagi and Miniature can come to life in this game.

Are you suggesting we put the Counties at tier 4 below Exeter and York?:Smile_teethhappy:

Heck 8x 203mm at tier 5 is going to be too much.

Not at all. More like, suggesting we're either going to get County OR York. Armor normally increases with Tier (generally speaking) and York has more armor than County (and was faster, I think?), but yeah, County gets 2 more guns. *shrug* US CAs didn't used to get 203's until T7, now it's T6. Furutaka gets 203's at T5, right? I don't think we'll ever see 203's at T4, which doesn't leave a lot of tree to work with for the RN CA's. 

[LANCE]
Members
456 posts
4,059 battles
1 hour ago, Harathan said:

Exceter or Exeter? Because latter is a real ship and a real place, and the former isn't.

Lol! I should be able to spell that! Spent many holidays a few miles south of that in my youth (Torquay)!

Ship i’d like to see .. is HMS Birmingham - CL (Town Class - Southampton which came before Gloucester and Edinburgh).

Edited by Bravo4zero
Typing on a phone is hard!!!! Lol

Members
5,135 posts
5,958 battles
1 hour ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Why are you so surprised? The Counties were bigger and had an extra turret

Oh, they do? Sorry, I apologize for my ignorance on the topic of RN ships. I just haven't looked into them really at all beyond the most basic of basics, like class succession and such.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,865 posts
12,189 battles
13 hours ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Because the Yorks are weaker

[EQRN]
Members
653 posts
10,075 battles
On 1/17/2019 at 6:07 AM, crzyhawk said:

Because the Yorks are weaker

They had one less turret and triple torps vs quad torps.  That is important, but in every other regard were superior.  Faster, shorter (equating to shorter turning circle and better concealment) and better armor scheme (!) in some areas.  County will feel like a side grade.  Lord Nelson on the EU stream said the Exeter could not be tuned via up tiering to T6 due to “no armor”.  (Smoke might help with that...). If he were to follow his own logic, the County must be T5.  That sucks.  To put it in perspective, an HMAS premium spinoff, Australia or Canberra, would be one tier lower then the Perth.