You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LoveBote

Motor Gun Boat review

17 comments in this topic

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,023 posts
7,968 battles

I don't normally support the idea of MGBs or MTBs in World of Warships, but this boat is so damned beautiful, I want it anyway (this video has only just been uploaded to Youtube by its authors) : 

More details here : 

https://www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk/register/524/mgb-81

and of course here :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_Gun_Boat#Types

for the USN equiavelent, PT Boats, with which many on the NA server will be more familiar  :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PT_boat

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
12,562 posts
8,541 battles
55 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

I don't normally support the idea of MGBs or MTBs in World of Warships, but this boat is so damned beautiful, I want it anyway : 

There are E-boats in Dynamo which is pretty much the same thing. Running one MTB would be a fairly quick battle as they have so little HP. People have suggested a squadron of PT boats, ala the new rework. They would be dispatched from a PT boat tender, ala a CV, and work similar to the new planes.

[WOLF1]
Members
3,812 posts
1,529 battles

WT has everything from Higgins boats with a .50 cal on up through light cruisers, including Krasny Krym, if you have the urge to explore the smaller craft side of things.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,023 posts
7,968 battles
Just now, Kizarvexis said:

There are E-boats in Dynamo which is pretty much the same thing. Running one MTB would be a fairly quick battle as they have so little HP. People have suggested a squadron of PT boats, ala the new rework. They would be dispatched from a PT boat tender, ala a CV, and work similar to the new planes.

I am not convinced they would be much fun in WOWS, unless in their own separate gameplay mode. I linked this (freshly uploaded) video because it shows a newly restored MTB, at Portsmouth Naval Base in the UK, an MTB with its own history (even if the narrator adopts some hyperbole about its supposed ability to attack battleships...:Smile_teethhappy:)

[NMKJT]
Members
3,448 posts
1 minute ago, Kizarvexis said:

I think of them as S-boats

Anything like a tender with boats would necessitate an uninstall. Planes are broken in PTS

[PVE]
Members
12,562 posts
8,541 battles
2 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

I am not convinced they would be much fun in WOWS, unless in their own separate gameplay mode. I linked this (freshly uploaded) video because it shows a newly restored MTB, at Portsmouth Naval Base in the UK, an MTB with its own history (even if the narrator adopts some hyperbole about its supposed ability to attack battleships...:Smile_teethhappy:)

1 minute ago, Wombatmetal said:

I think of them as S-boats

Anything like a tender with boats would necessitate an uninstall. Planes are broken in PTS

I'm not endorsing PT boats, just mentioning what some have suggested.

Dual 40mm guns seems to be the biggest guns I have found, at least on US PT boats, and 2-4 torps. Putting unlimited torps on something that small seems too much. At least DDs are a great many times the size of the torps. PT boats, not so much.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,023 posts
7,968 battles
3 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Dual 40mm guns seems to be the biggest guns I have found, at least on US PT boats, and 2-4 torps. Putting unlimited torps on something that small seems too much. At least DDs are a great many times the size of the torps. PT boats, not so much.

I could imagine them fun, in their own mini pvp setup. Eboats, PTs and MTBs, Italian MAS, and more! We could have some epic round island racing comps.

[RLGN]
Members
9,452 posts
18,874 battles
7 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

I'm not endorsing PT boats, just mentioning what some have suggested.

The proposition I made two years had the PTs work like a torpedo squad. So basically one drop and back to the tender.

[SBS]
Members
3,259 posts
2,408 battles
Just now, Kizarvexis said:

People have suggested a squadron of PT boats, ala the new rework. They would be dispatched from a PT boat tender, ala a CV, and work similar to the new planes.

I'm fairly certain the PT boat/tender concept came first, and WG passed on it in favor of using the idea for the rework instead.  The concept has been around the forum for some time.

Just now, LoveBote said:

I could imagine them fun, in their own mini pvp setup. Eboats, PTs and MTBs, Italian MAS, and more! We could have some epic round island racing comps.

I agree.  BTW, thanks for posting the video.

Members
2,845 posts
3,092 battles

Just bring back the bath tub april fools map and use the smaller boats for it. Monitor ships can act as the BBs. 

[WOLF1]
Members
3,812 posts
1,529 battles
19 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

Something close to that exists (no Eyetalians, though), but not in this game.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,687 posts
10,551 battles

I'd be all for MTB's in an April fools mode, probably with respawns in the line of WoWP.

MTB demolition derby for 20 minutes or until someone runs out of points or hits 1000.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
8,151 posts
5,524 battles
43 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

Go to Lord Zath's YouTube channel and look up the V-25 Death Race. And when you do, make sure you keep an eye on the chat box, especially near the end. Hilarity ensues.

41 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Shhhh ... don't let Wargaming see this or they'll start developing Tier 1 premiums!

I want to see a version of Dynamo which is a coastal patrol scenario with Schnellboots vs. Black Swans. 

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,023 posts
7,968 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Go to Lord Zath's YouTube channel and look up the V-25 Death Race. And when you do, make sure you keep an eye on the chat box, especially near the end. Hilarity ensues.

44 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

I was just thinking of the WOWS death race, wasn't it an idea developed with Mouse?

[ARGSY]
Members
8,151 posts
5,524 battles
2 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

I was just thinking of the WOWS death race, wasn't it an idea developed with Mouse?

It was. She acted as referee and finishing line (in a Tier X CV: "Ram me to win.")