You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GSXstage1

Want Players opinion on High Point Captains on Low tier ships

152 comments in this topic

[TRG]
Members
223 posts
13,135 battles

Hello everyone. Just looking for peoples thoughts on Players using high tier Captians on low tier ships. Should a Captain be limited in his skills up to tier 6 or not?

Ive been asked myself and thought about it and can see a case for both sides so I wanted to hear what others feel and think about it. Good Luck and Good Shooting!

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 6

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
684 posts
5,892 battles

I have no issue with this as some players still won't use their captain skills effectively at times. 

Id hate to see a limit to a tier as this would open up more MM hate. 

Its probably why we don't see many new T4 premiums either. Dropping 19 point captains to that tier can hurt it all around. 

[AFW-]
Members
262 posts
10,763 battles

is the issue that people drop in maxed out captains in lower tiers?

there are players that refuse to play tier 8 and above so shouldnt they be able to use 19 point captains in their max tier?

• Cool 1

[-TD-]
Members
367 posts

I have no issue. Captains should have this freedom and there shouldn't be a limit. If you want to put a 19 point captain on the Kaiser anyone should be able to do that.

• Cool 3

[SALVO]
Members
18,305 posts
18,887 battles

If I want to drop a 19 point captain into a low tier ship (almost always going to be a low tier premium ship), that should be my choice.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,393 posts
13,932 battles

To drop a 19 point captain into a very low tier game....tells you everything you need to know about that person.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 9

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,393 posts
13,932 battles
3 minutes ago, Crucis said:

If I want to drop a 19 point captain into a low tier ship (almost always going to be a low tier premium ship), that should be my choice.

do you enjoy playing kickball against 1st graders?

• Cool 1
  • Bad 4

[DPG]
Members
1,110 posts
5,379 battles

Captains don't have nearly the same level of influence on a ship as a crew does in WoT.  You get a slight edge but it isn't going to make you an unstoppable ship destroying machine.

• Cool 3

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
11,033 posts
8,002 battles
2 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

Captains don't have nearly the same level of influence on a ship as a crew does in WoT.  You get a slight edge but it isn't going to make you an unstoppable ship destroying machine.

Tell that to the guy that has over 600 games in the bogatyr with AFT+BFT and CE.

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
529 posts
3,026 battles

I think the problem is the commander skills themselves, not necessarily the 19 points.

Theoretically the biggest offenders are getting a rework "eventually".

Members
20,784 posts
5,614 battles

That's a tough one.

On one hand, I can see an issue for newer players.

On the other, you have your most important skill from each tier at 10 points. The skills you select after are going to be less important by default, and some more or less inapplicable at low tiers. (MFCAA/MFCS, or possibly IFHE)

I strictly use 4pt skills as an example, because if you want to start talking about extra 3 point or lower skills, now you don't even need a 10pt. captain to get there.

I guess that's the big question, if you did set limits, what would they be, where would they start? And at what point do you go from protecting newbies from veterans, to discouraging a semi-experienced captain from "double dipping" daily win bonuses with a mid/low-tier premium, and working on their captain?

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,963 posts
12,890 battles

I want 19 point captains on all of my ships, my Derzki has a 12 pointer in it right now. Oh yeah I have 254 ships it might be a while. I use my 19 point captains on my premium ships low or high tier.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 2

[TF57]
Members
1,380 posts
4,063 battles

Hello everyone. Just looking for peoples thoughts on Players using high tier Captians on low tier ships. Should a Captain be limited in his skills up to tier 6 or not?

Ive been asked myself and thought about it and can see a case for both sides so I wanted to hear what others feel and think about it. Good Luck and Good Shooting!

Sure, there are folks with 1000s of Orlan/Clemson/Kamikaze game or whatever. But that is their right.  Why gimp their ship?

A limited 6-point captain would be equally disadvantaged in an uptier. I.e. you'd punish that tier as a whole.

Perhaps they like the look of the ships. Perhaps they like the playstyle.

In fact, they are far less horrible to play with/against that say a 40% CV player who ruins his entire team's fun.

Really, the word "sealclubber" is just another word for "someone who is highly proficient in their ship" regardless of tier. There are lot of 60% sealclubbers at T10, and lots of 45% WR clubbees at T10 as well.

If you want balance, and to reduce the "gap"- give everyone a 10pt captain.

Edited by evilleMonkeigh
  • Cool 1

Members
13 posts

Hmm...certainly an issue with Premium ships, and certainly manifested during the T5 Ranked Sprint, but doesn't impact Protected Matchmaking where the real baby seals are.

But commander skills are only one aspect of a possible ship customization options in WOWS.

You also have combat flags to use, or not (and many do not). And ship Upgrades that are restricted by Tier. So a T8 meeting a T7 can have the Concealment Module whereas the T7 cannot.

[ARGSY]
Members
8,039 posts
5,474 battles

I see no problem with it, just so long as you take it into co-op too and not just indulge in beating up on new lower-tier players.

On the other hand, there are those with umpteen gazillion games in their Black Swans and have 4 million XP on the ship and a 19 point captain that never left the ship. But Tier 1 Randoms is a very interesting beast - teh noobz are kept in matchmaking so protected that Random battles still have bots (this is where I got my first Kraken), and T1 Randoms is the home of a very different crowd. Slip up and you die quickly, because you haven't got much health to play with and everyone has HE now - Black Swan used to be baby Minotaur but now with her six barrels in three turrets she's baby Conqueror or maybe British Worcester. Burn baby burn.

[O7]
Members
749 posts
13,616 battles

some ships, like the krasny krym, require a high point captain to go from garbage to strong. Sounds like an unnecessary change and complication to the flow of the economy and progression in wows.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,065 posts

There are lower-tier ships that I keep because I enjoy playing them, simple as that.  They mainly get played in Co-op, so silly worries about "fairness" (read, social justice for botes  :Smile_trollface:  ) need not apply.  I have dedicated captains for all my tech-line ships, and I'm not going to spend all the dubs or extra grinding to move them to other ships if they get "too good" for the tier of ship they're on.  

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
1,164 posts
8,243 battles

I am not in charge of others' destinies.   I am in charge of my own.

Uncertain of why so many (both in game and in real life) are more worried about what others have (or don't have) than themselves.

I'm all for putting in a 19pt skipper, if that's the players prerogative.    If they don't want to, fine just the same.     

Do I worry about what every other player has or doesn't have?   Nope.

Members
20,784 posts
5,614 battles
9 minutes ago, Abides said:

do you enjoy playing kickball against 1st graders?

I dunno if I agree with that. To me, that would be more playing a T8 ship in a T4 battle.

I would ask the question, do you enjoy training and wearing high-end gear to play street hockey against people roughly about your age?

I wouldn't bother myself, but whatever floats your boat.

Personally, I wouldn't bother putting 19-pointers in a low tier ship, but that's mainly because I don't play low-tier ships much.

And what about dedicated captains that spend their whole career in a low-tier ship? I have a 10 point captain in Tenryu. He has CE. That right there is probably the deadliest skill a low-tier ship can have. (7.1km concealment is evil lol)

What am I supposed to do? Throw away the captain and start over? It's not like I can use him somewhere else, all the ARP captains have taken over a section of the reserves building, and are already fighting over who gets the next IJN ship I get.

Realistically, I think that, with T3/4 protection, as well as the (several months ago) lowered XP requirements for T4 and 5 ships, nobody has to spend much time there.

If you spend more time down there than you absolutely have to, then you get what you get, because you're doing the same thing as the veteran with the 19-pointer, just not as effectively.

[TMS]
Members
2,135 posts
23,826 battles
36 minutes ago, GSXstage1 said:

No as its the player that really counts.

I have played new low tier ships with no modules bought or  fitted, no camo and with a 19 point captain that was reset and had no skills enabled so no better than a 0 point captain and i still recked.

[WDS]
Members
1,041 posts
7,709 battles
16 minutes ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

Tell that to the guy that has over 600 games in the bogatyr with AFT+BFT and CE.

That's different though 600 games not cool.  I took the best captains I had for each nation when doing the snowflake event in Co-Op . I had 19 point captain in any premium I could put him in regardless of tier so I could get it done quicker . 

• Bad 1

Members
20,784 posts
5,614 battles
8 minutes ago, Final8ty said:

No as its the player that really counts.

I have played new low tier ships with no modules bought or  fitted, no camo and with a 19 point captain that was reset and had no skills enabled so no better than a 0 point captain and i still recked.

And I put my 19-pointer WITH all his skills in Konig, and been recked lol.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[DENY]
Members
368 posts
7,391 battles
29 minutes ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

600 is meaningless, there are people that have 9,000+ games in the same low tier ship.

[NMKJT]
Members
3,443 posts
55 minutes ago, GSXstage1 said:

I have more Japanese 10 point captains than I can shake stick at. What am I going to do with them?  If I start a new line, say carriers, why get a new captain when I've got a bunch of shipgirls?

I think the problem is CE, not captains. As long as bunks cost gold you can't limit my usage. 

If CE were baked into every ship it wouldn't be an issue