You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HallaSnackbar

WG needs to factor player ratings into MM

166 comments in this topic

[POD]
Members
104 posts
4,317 battles

The title pretty much says it all.  Last 3 nights I have played I have had about a 10% wr as a 50% player.  Nearly every match i was overloaded with 30-40% players while the opposing team ias 50-60% players. I have poor enough luck with the RNG gods when it comes to dispersion etc. dealing with it in matchmaking is unnecessary and getting tedious. I am calling [edited] and if this does not get fixed myself and quite a few others I know are going to be taking a break for a while.  Almost makes me wonder if someone has coem up with a 3rd part add on that ensures or at least increases the chances of dropping in with people you know.  We used to use one for BG's in wow, but it was totally legal then and had less impact with a matchs with 40+ people on either side.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 8
  • Bad 10

[1STBG]
Members
1,159 posts
4,904 battles

What winrate, or PR formula, are you going to base it on. What if a 55% WR player is in a ship where he has a 37% WR after 50 games? Or a player is a unicum in X ship but is otherwise a 42% player. It's no-win for WG because people are still going to whine about it anyway. 

MM isn't going to change any time soon. Yet another post on his tired topic, which isn't as big a deal as many people make it, isn't going to change it either. 

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,457 posts
9,422 battles

Skill-based MM is probably never going to happen. Then again, never say never.

[FART]
Members
166 posts
5,504 battles

Everybody goes through it -- it happened to me a couple months back. I had been averaging a 60% win rate over a couple months prior, then got on a nasty streak where my win rate over a multi-week period was 27%. I was questioning reality at that point, wondering if I'd just forgotten everything I'd learned about playing this game.

Nah. I just stopped playing for a week, came back, and have been back to averaging around 60% since. I don't know why MM does what it does sometimes (I have a few tinfoil hat theories :cap_book:), but the best thing to do is just take a break.  

• Cool 1

[PNG]
Supertester, Beta Testers
5,777 posts
6,802 battles

Overall win rate? Ship win rate? Ship class win rate? Ships of the same tier win rate? Win rate over life time? Win rate over year? Win rate over week?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
891 posts
1 minute ago, renegadestatuz said:

Lol it’s never going to happen.

I think I have heard something like that before....where could that have been.....

• Cool 1

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,411 posts
13,962 battles
16 minutes ago, HallaSnackbar said:

The title pretty much says it all.  Last 3 nights I have played I have had about a 10% wr as a 50% player.  Nearly every match i was overloaded with 30-40% players while the opposing team ias 50-60% players. I have poor enough luck with the RNG gods when it comes to dispersion etc. dealing with it in matchmaking is unnecessary and getting tedious. I am calling [edited] and if this does not get fixed myself and quite a few others I know are going to be taking a break for a while.  Almost makes me wonder if someone has coem up with a 3rd part add on that ensures or at least increases the chances of dropping in with people you know.  We used to use one for BG's in wow, but it was totally legal then and had less impact with a matchs with 40+ people on either side.

The reality is, I don't think its a big enough game to warrant the resources it would take to make MM as fair as possible. We all want fair games, and get frustrated with afks, potates and the like. 

Do you want to play quickly, or do you want to wait till there ae 12 more unicorns or 12 more scrubnubs to que...? Not an easy fix.

• Cool 1

[ADR]
Members
38 posts
3,564 battles

A couple days ago I was 1 or 2 wins off a flat 51% winrate. I've been playing fairly well recently and over my last 100 games I've been winning 60% and playing at a fairly good level.

Then I had a couple of bad teams in a row, got whomped on a couple of games, and now I'm trying to regain some of that ground. It happens. Play your best, play ships you're comfortable with and if you find yourself too frustrated, take a break and have another try later.

As it stands WoWs has pretty long queue times as it stands. Adding matching brackets for skill based matchmaking would only make that worse. Could it happen? maybe. Does the matchmaker need some changes? Probably.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
431 posts
5,241 battles
20 minutes ago, HallaSnackbar said:

Nearly every match i was overloaded with 30-40% players while the opposing team ias 50-60% players.

News Flash: The algorithm has been secretly deployed for MM by personal rating.  The MM placed you on that team to CARRY everyone else to victory. unfortunately, you failed catastrophically. Perhaps lose a few more games and you will be placed with better players. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 4

[MORSV]
Members
39 posts
9,847 battles

The real title of the this topic should be, Why can't War Gaming create a Match Maker to make MY Win Rate Better. :cap_haloween:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 1

Members
652 posts
5,656 battles
31 minutes ago, HTSMetal said:

Everybody goes through it -- it happened to me a couple months back. I had been averaging a 60% win rate over a couple months prior, then got on a nasty streak where my win rate over a multi-week period was 27%. I was questioning reality at that point, wondering if I'd just forgotten everything I'd learned about playing this game.

Nah. I just stopped playing for a week, came back, and have been back to averaging around 60% since. I don't know why MM does what it does sometimes (I have a few tinfoil hat theories :cap_book:), but the best thing to do is just take a break.  

It's been long believed WG MM tries its hardest to force 50% win rate. If you do really well for a large streak of games don't be surprised over a massive losing streak coming up.

• Cool 1

Members
1,381 posts
8,702 battles
1 minute ago, The_Painted_Target said:

It's been long believed WG MM tries its hardest to force 50% win rate. If you do really well for a large streak of games don't be surprised over a massive losing streak coming up.

I dont necessarily believe this. 

But my Zao/Rooster WRs seem odd to me. I tend to play these 2 ships after playing 6-7 games. Usually winning most of them. Probably just coincidence. 

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
1,879 posts
2,663 battles

Wouldn't a skill base Matchmaker that's working correctly, necessarily over a large pool of battles push all players to around 50% w/l & average PR,  thus making either a useless tool to MM  around?    

• Cool 3

[-BUI-]
Members
562 posts
2,537 battles
52 minutes ago, HallaSnackbar said:

Can't really compare the MM in this game to queue dodging in World of Warcraft....its not even remotely the same thing.   There is no way to queue dodge in this game.

[WOLFC]
Members
368 posts
5,091 battles

There is no economic incentive for WG to do this.  WoW's  revenue is based on selling ships.    By putting people into matches based on tier & class, they focus people on what helps sell more ships.   Otherwise, you'd all buy 1 or two ships and be done with it.  Then there would just be an economic race for flags & camo.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,571 posts
13,465 battles

Your first mistake was running a WR monitor.

Your second mistake was caring what it said. Something something the things you can control and the things you can't.

• Cool 8

[SALVO]
Members
18,314 posts
18,908 battles
55 minutes ago, RA6E_ said:

Wouldn't a skill base Matchmaker that's working correctly, necessarily over a large pool of battles push all players to around 50% w/l & average PR,  thus making either a useless tool to MM  around?    

It would push all players to being close to a 50%WR.  However, as for a personal rating, the effect of SMBB would have on a PR would depend entirely on how much that particular version of PR factored in WR.  After all, good and bad players may be forced closer and closer to a 50% WR, but there's no way that SBMM is going to force bad players into playing better and doing more damage and getting more kills, etc.   Good players will still be good players and bad players will still be bad players.  And a PR that ignored WR would show this.

Members
3,982 posts
6,704 battles
33 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

jqLxFZk.png

Hell - the last 2 weeks I think we have had 3-4 threads on 'skill' based MM alone.

[SPTR]
Members
26,344 posts
11,634 battles

Its bad enough that mm cant sometimes match up tier wise, everyones stats will start merging towards the 50% ranges which means competitive clans will have troulble signing up recruits.

[-TXT-]
Beta Testers
1,430 posts
16,128 battles

Without debating the pros and cons of it,  WG has consistently said they will not use a skill based MM system.

But if it worked well, it would drive everyone to a 50% winrate.  And if it didn't work well (which is my suspicion), why bother???

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
258 posts
6,184 battles
6 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

Hell - the last 2 weeks I think we have had 3-4 threads on 'skill' based MM alone.

perhaps we need skill-based forums.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4