You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sweetsie

When I play this ship _____ I have no idea what to do....

26 comments in this topic

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,411 posts
13,962 battles

The Republique…..This ship evades my ability to reason..... I'm a day late and a dollar short every time I play it. 

Got any you cant figure out?

• Cool 1

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
893 posts

Duca D'Aosta -

Option 1.  Just go to map border and wallow in frustration until I get sunk.

2.  Yolo to middle and hope for quick death.

3.  Sell the darn thing only to have WG give me another via crate.

4. (My current best option) let it rot in port.

I have tried everything else - and completely given up.

[SDIWO]
Members
1,186 posts
6,072 battles

Shimakaze in the radar meta. Used to be my go to ship for a relaxed casual play....then I didn't play it for 6 months or so till the snowflake event, lucked into a win, and it's back in the mothball fleet.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,362 posts
10,013 battles

First off, its my favorite T10 BB, nothing close and I have them all.  I have built mine as a secondary build and a mid range sniper/brawler.  You have less guns but they fire more often. You have speed, and with speed boost Repub gets out of tight jams or can move to the next battle on the map AND is a great kiting BB.  Secondaries? Oh yeah...longest range in the game and pretty good.  Way to play her in pubs is first off.... don't let your speed get  you too close and you get focused.  Its easy for this to happen...tooling around at close to 30 knots, is not much slower than some CAs and DDs....see the issue?  Suddenly your in front of your support and you will get focused.  2) Repub has good armor but not as good as most other T10 BBs.  You can't give a side all day and not expect to get hurt.  Shoot, Angle Shoot....your turrets have good arcs and if just using your front against most BBs your down two barrels, but  you fire faster... kinda works out.  You will have to live with the weird dispersion on the guns...you can hit okay from very long range, hit pretty well from mid, but under mid the guns seem to go everywhere...until you get under say about 8k then they seem to hit where you aim.   Torpedo belt is decent, but its the speed, and evasion that helps avoid DD torps and planes.  I like to play the Repub, crossing from one side to another, about 18, and turning in as I am shot at, slowly decreasing range.  Don't be afraid to zip down a flank and support a flanking attack, I think Repub really shines at that... you can Citadel anything out there.   Put in the time and this ship will reward you with a lot of fun game play.  Get the legendary mod if you play CWs... the reload time is amazing, but the range drop off hurts her a bit in Pubs, but in CWs with the smaller maps....woot!

• Cool 1

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,362 posts
10,013 battles
3 minutes ago, jmanII said:

Duca D'Aosta -

ahhhh another one of my favs.   Very high ceiling ship, but has some great strengths.   No dd in your sector?  You know have a stealthy long range torpedo CA that can reload fast, turn fast to bring other side online...I seem to get some nice torp hits every few games...out of her tier she can get hurt...in tier she's pretty good.  Out of tier I am using my plane, staying at range setting some fires... looking for the AP broadside on enemy CA...have hurt some T8 CAs that underestimated the AP on the Duca.  Its fragile, but its fast and evades well....not a brawler...!

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,685 battles
7 minutes ago, Morpheous said:

ahhhh another one of my favs.   Very high ceiling ship, but has some great strengths.   No dd in your sector?  You know have a stealthy long range torpedo CA that can reload fast, turn fast to bring other side online...I seem to get some nice torp hits every few games...out of her tier she can get hurt...in tier she's pretty good.  Out of tier I am using my plane, staying at range setting some fires... looking for the AP broadside on enemy CA...have hurt some T8 CAs that underestimated the AP on the Duca.  Its fragile, but its fast and evades well....not a brawler...!

That's pretty much what I do. Lurk behind an island. Oh there is a BB on the horizon BLAP with torpedoes. Rinse and repeat

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
951 posts
4,442 battles

Kronstadt.  I can't get the guns to perform for me.  Overpen/bounce is her middle name.

• Cool 1

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
3,512 posts
13,739 battles
44 minutes ago, Abides said:

The Republique…..This ship evades my ability to reason..... I'm a day late and a dollar short every time I play it. 

Got any you cant figure out?

You didn't do to bad in it when we were on the Islands of Ice map. At least you weren't bottom dog and no red teamer surpassed your score. I happened to be in the Mikhail Kutusov and was happy to have survived that T10 match...

• Cool 1

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,411 posts
13,962 battles
Just now, Khafni said:

You didn't do to bad in it when we were on the Islands of Ice map. At least you weren't bottom dog and no red teamer surpassed your score. I happened to be in the Mikhail Kutusov and was happy to have survived that T10 match...

ty, its not that I am scared to play it.. I just have no clue to what to do, just a weird feeling.

• Cool 1

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,411 posts
13,962 battles
39 minutes ago, LubzinNJ said:

Shimakaze in the radar meta. Used to be my go to ship for a relaxed casual play....then I didn't play it for 6 months or so till the snowflake event, lucked into a win, and it's back in the mothball fleet.

I wont get into all the dynamics of it but I do love the Shima. My stats are decent, but real good if you discounted my first 200 games as my first tier ten. Send me a pm and I'll help if I can.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,362 posts
10,013 battles
25 minutes ago, Patton3rdarmy13 said:

Ognevoi, just don't get it. 10 km torps that move too slow to make use of range.

I really grew to love the new Ognevoi...I just play it like a Japanese DD...stealth, torp and you have decent guns if you need to use them...but don't play it as a gunboat.  I find any torpedo in the water WITH range to be effective....sometimes the slower ones really catch folks...they end up in an area way after the DD or the CA (Duca) has left the area...surprise...water mines...love them.

• Cool 1

[-TD-]
Members
389 posts

The Yorck is so weird. It is soft yet the high explosive is awful. You have to use all guns to get lots of damage yet if you show too much of your side you get deleted by a tier 8 or 9 BB. I keep suffering through it to get the Hipper though.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,362 posts
10,013 battles
43 minutes ago, LubzinNJ said:

Shima is still the beast....I have seen guys play this with the crazy short torps and just wreck stuff...gotta be behind island and ambush...too much for me...I like the 12s w the faster torp, 9.6 now...puts you in the radar range, but the detection adn evasion reaction is enough to hit CAs....just launch about 11k and run out of Radar range... or just stay with the regular torps and spam...but I don't like to be outside say 13k or so.  You still need to spot...and the Shimi guns are not as bad as you think and the her speed is what makes her work.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,362 posts
10,013 battles
Just now, Schnitchelkid01_ said:

The Yorck is so weird. It is soft yet the high explosive is awful. You have to use all guns to get lots of damage yet if you show too much of your side you get deleted by a tier 8 or 9 BB. I keep suffering through it to get the Hipper though.

Crazy thing with the Yorck I started doing towards the end and had very good success with her was to linger around island...don't shoot much and watch for enemy BB thats isolated....charge!!!!!  yep did a lot of charging in the last 1/4 of my games and the Yorck is decently tough head on...get in torp range and now the fun begins.  Takes some balls, takes some good mini map awareness, but works.  Also at that range I became a better anti DD .. CA

• Cool 1

[TRG]
Members
228 posts
13,182 battles
50 minutes ago, jmanII said:

Duca D'Aosta -

I have tried everything else - and completely given up.

I have some luck in here launching torps at long range,,shooting, turning and running,,repeat. 

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,362 posts
10,013 battles

Believe it or not my ship I am struggling with is the Hindenburg....any suggestions?  I can't seem to get a good game in her and I think I should do very well in her.  I can get great games in a Zao, a Henri, okay games in Salem or DM, and haven't played Moskva enough....

[-TD-]
Members
389 posts
1 minute ago, Morpheous said:

Crazy thing with the Yorck I started doing towards the end and had very good success with her was to linger around island...don't shoot much and watch for enemy BB thats isolated....charge!!!!!  yep did a lot of charging in the last 1/4 of my games and the Yorck is decently tough head on...get in torp range and now the fun begins.  Takes some balls, takes some good mini map awareness, but works.  Also at that range I became a better anti DD .. CA

Yep, I think I need to erase any Nurnberg left in my brain and just try her out with a fresh mind. I will try that. I have tried to linger around islands and I had some limited success with that method. The problem is I am not patient and I like to get into the action. I should wait for an opportunity but I don't.

[GLF]
Members
833 posts
10,541 battles

Z-23.   

I play it with 128's like i played Maass, i fail.   

I play it with 150's like i played gaede, I fail. 

I play it with 128's like I play loyang, I fail.   And this one is the most baffling to me, at the same tier, they are close to being almost the same boat.  

Z23 in my hands is a failbote, and i hate it so much.  

[FAE]
Members
2,312 posts
2,885 battles

GK. 

I survive (literally) huge amounts of damage, I push up, I kill enemy DDs and support our DDs taking caps and we still generally lose. I even literally cap myself, in my big [edited]BB. I do only mediocre damage. Of course, some of the huge damage games are also losses. With a 212k one recently. 

In ranked I'm usually top1-3 player, have a very high win rate and often get 150k+ damage. 

Someone help me (I dunno how to enable replays tho. )

Members
77 posts
4,706 battles

The Des Moines. It's a heavy cruiser that can easily be penned when it's bow on. Its short range artillery. I just don't see a point in playing a Des Moines vs a harugumo. Gumo does what the Des moines does but better and with nice torps and concealment. Des Moines simply doesn't feel like a heavy cruiser to me. It feels like a light cruiser.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,953 posts
7,296 battles
8 hours ago, jmanII said:

Duca D'Aosta

Same. Anemic HE shell and sides soft as a taco that was left out in a sun for a day.

8 hours ago, LubzinNJ said:

Shimakaze in the radar meta

Do you run 12km torps? With 8km Shima is tough, but at 12 km you should have no problems torping people and still staying out of range for DM and just at the edge for RU cruisers. Just play safe before you know where radars are, as you would with any DD.

Members
5 posts
502 battles

Iowa, I hit exactly where I did with the Colorado 0 citadels, barely damages a cruiser full broadside, cannot win against any other ship I used to not be afraid of when I was in Colorado. Actually I'm wondering if Wargaming doesn't like give you a higher percentage of luck for a while to draw you in and then bam they break one off in ya. Seriously I have no clue how to make this ship not get half health taken off from a single musashi or any German ship salvo. This game makes no sense....