You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TehParakitteh

RN BB skill suggestions?

20 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
Members
70 posts
1,692 battles

So my BBae in the Royal Navy has just ticked over to 13 skill points, and I'm wondering where to take him. He captains the King George V at present.

Currently, he's specced as a secondaries/brawling/AA captain - PT, ER, BoS, AFT - giving him 6km secondary and 6.5km AA range. The wiki recommends Fire Prevention for survivability; good choice, I have had Manual Secondary Control on my Lyon captain which makes for good fun; Manual AA doesn't look like it'd be particularly useful on any of the ships I currently run. Concealment might be useful, but BFT would improve both the secondary and AA performance significantly.

Should I worry about getting my second Tier 4 skill first, and wait for 14 points?

Edited by TehParakitteh

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
891 posts

Go ahead and experiment now  - then wait longer because the CO skills are changing with update 0.8.0 and are getting a free reset on all CO's.

[PNG]
[PNG]
Beta Testers
244 posts
9,205 battles

i don't recommend secondary builds for RN BBs. They just don't have the range or the volume of fire to justify such a build. Also, high tier RN BBs have weak external armor and very vulnerable to HE spam. I recommend using a survival build:

priority target, expert marksman, superintendent (extra super heal at T9 and 10), concealment. (base 10 point captain)

adrenaline rush, fire prevention, basics of survivability (full 19 points)

the order of the extra skills are up to you. but I think this build should be solid.

• Cool 3

[SALVO]
Members
18,314 posts
18,908 battles
17 minutes ago, axyarthur said:

i don't recommend secondary builds for RN BBs. They just don't have the range or the volume of fire to justify such a build. Also, high tier RN BBs have weak external armor and very vulnerable to HE spam. I recommend using a survival build:

priority target, expert marksman, superintendent (extra super heal at T9 and 10), concealment. (base 10 point captain)

the order of the extra skills are up to you. but I think this build should be solid.

This is a very solid build for almost any BB of any nation, quite frankly.  There might be some skills that one might quibble over, particularly for specific nations.  For example, some might prefer Preventative Maintenance over PT to improve the durability of their modules, particularly their main gun turrets.  And occasionally, some question whether CE is worth it on certain BBs.

But overall, the skills you suggest make for a very solid battleship survivability build.

• Cool 1

[ZR]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
5,512 posts
5,345 battles
43 minutes ago, TehParakitteh said:

Currently, he's specced as a secondaries/brawling/AA captain - PT, ER, BoS, AFT - giving him 6km secondary and 6.5km AA range. The wiki recommends Fire Prevention for survivability; good choice, I have had Manual Secondary Control on my Lyon captain which makes for good fun; Manual AA doesn't look like it'd be particularly useful on any of the ships I currently run. Concealment might be useful, but BFT would improve both the secondary and AA performance significantly.

Uh... Lyon is a French battleship - MN BBs aren't the same as RN BBs. So if you're trying to build the same way as you did with your MN BB cpt, you're going to struggle. 

Members
26 posts
2,431 battles

I would use Jack Dunkirk if you have one, and go:

Tier 1: Preventative Maintenance, Expert loader

Tier 2: Jack of All Trades, Expert Marksman, Adrenaline Rush

Tier 3: Superintendent

Tier 4: Concealment Expert, Fire Prevention

[WOLF7]
Members
37 posts
646 battles
6 minutes ago, CenturioRomanus said:

I would use Jack Dunkirk if you have one, and go:

Tier 1: Preventative Maintenance, Expert loader

Tier 2: Jack of All Trades, Expert Marksman, Adrenaline Rush

Tier 3: Superintendent

Tier 4: Concealment Expert, Fire Prevention

I am doing this except priority target instead of expert loader.  13 second reload isn't worth it to me, I would rather just shoot what I have loaded and then switch.

Only time I use expert loader is on my US heavy cruisers with 75% increase Doe commander. 

Members
26 posts
2,431 battles
10 minutes ago, ThRiLl_GmYr said:

I am doing this except priority target instead of expert loader.  13 second reload isn't worth it to me, I would rather just shoot what I have loaded and then switch.

Only time I use expert loader is on my US heavy cruisers with 75% increase Doe commander. 

The expert loader is extremely useful for the counq, if you get in a situation where you can shoot the broadside of a BB at short range, waiting the 13 seconds is normally more than worth it, especially since with the counq you can play on low health a lot and use your heals at the last possible seconds and use your AR so the expert loader is 9ish seconds. And I generally find priority target to be a waste on most ships but cruisers, especially because with the Counq giving broadside isn't even a punishment.

Edited by CenturioRomanus

[WOLF7]
Members
37 posts
646 battles
4 minutes ago, CenturioRomanus said:

The expert loader is extremely useful for the counq, if you get in a situation where you can shoot the broadside of a BB at short range, waiting the 13 seconds is normally more than worth it, especially since with the counq you can play on low health a lot and use your heals at the last possible seconds and use your AR so the expert loader is 9ish seconds. And I generally find priority target to be a waste on most ships but cruisers, especially because with the Counq giving broadside isn't even a punishment.

I tried using it in lower tiers and just didn't like it.  

Beta Testers
452 posts
10,065 battles

I run this on my Conq (using Jack Dunkirk). I don't use FP on any of my BB's and don't have a problem with fires. Waste of 4 points for me.

T1 PT

T2 High Alert, EM, JoaT, AR

T3 BoS and SI

T4 CE

[BNKR]
Members
70 posts
1,692 battles
42 minutes ago, Personator said:

Uh... Lyon is a French battleship - MN BBs aren't the same as RN BBs. So if you're trying to build the same way as you did with your MN BB cpt, you're going to struggle. 

I'm quite aware. But Manual Secondaries has benefited Lyon very nicely, and AFT to my British BBs. I get a lot less damage from Brit BBs due to low calibre guns and accuracy though, and I know exactly the sort of benefits you get from MCS, so I'm wondering if it would be worth teaming them.

[DRACS]
Members
4,108 posts

Here is the build I went for. Note that this captain is not only whatever RN BB I'm grinding (currently Monarch), but also for Warspite, Hood, Nelson, and Vanguard, so I built him up for versatility.

1) PT, PM, EL
2) EM
3) SI, BOS (still debating between this and Vigilance)
4) CE, AFT

The loss of AR hurts, but worth it I hope.

- PT is a no brainer ... knowing how many people are targeting you as well as DDs switching to torps is kinda nice to have.
- PM allows me to switch to AAM1 instead of using MAM1 to keep my AA and secondaries intact longer.
- EL allows me to switch ammo types faster, which is something *crucial* to good RN BB play, especially with the tech tree ships that are very very good at stealth APing unsuspecting cruisers.
- EM is a no brainer for these ships as many of them have glacial turret traverse.
- SI is pretty much essential for BB play if you're the type that actually likes to tank rather than border humping.
- BOS reduces fire duration, which is a plus. If I only played the tech tree ships, I wouldn't take it as they have less HP than average and some have a super heal, so fire is a non issue. But my captain also plays on ships like Vanguard and Hood which have a TON of health. On the other hand, Vigilance is always a good idea for RN BBs due to their lack of Hydro and poor torpedo bulge protection. Still debating this.
- CE is a no brainer ... sorta? CE is being nerfed for BBs to only drop visibility by 10% like for DDs. So it's not as good as it was. But it's still good. So I'll likely still keep it.
- AFT is pretty essential for me right now. Warspite is a secondary guns brawler, and AFT increases that range. Hood's super strong rocket DFAA is super short ranged, so increasing that range was also fairly critical. And for the rest ... better AA range is good. Unfortunately, AFT on the PTS is GARBAGE compared to what it is now and this worries me.

Obviously, all of these are up for review once 0.8.0 goes live.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,362 posts
9,988 battles

Have to agree with other posters... do not build secondary build.... too much you have to give up for small gain.  Fireproof her as much as possible, buy premium repair, superintendent a must... build it to tank and conceal.  Concealment is the one I think most players wonder how effective it is...let me ask you this...how often are  you ranging in on a enemy BB, like American or Brit and they wink out....yeah they have conceal and if it saves you say....10 times a game from being targeted, (you wink out, they target someone else) that sound like a very very good skill.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,882 posts
2 hours ago, axyarthur said:

This.

Works well on tier 6 to 10 rn bbs.

[BNKR]
Members
70 posts
1,692 battles
1 hour ago, slokill_1 said:

Make sure you hit what you're aiming at.

No promises.

(my BB accuracy is just atrocious sometimes. Then I'll have games where I citadel a bunch of stuff)

Also I made a typo in the OP, "ER" is meant to be Expert Marksman, not Adrenaline Rush.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
684 posts
5,901 battles

As you go up the RN BB line id use fire prevention to limit one fire in the centre of your vessel. 

Id also take CE as this line is stealthy but please remember concealment numbers are being tweaked in 0.8.0.

[BNKR]
Members
70 posts
1,692 battles

While my KGVeast with the old-style AFT was a very handy air defence platform, it no longer is in what little I've played in 0.8.0

AA performance has been sorely lacking, and the game does not explain the changes - no more 'designated targeting', that we can still do with the secondary batteries, and reinforcing AA sectors is explained nowhere except for the game controls, where it tells you to hit the O key to enter its menu.

k

[EQRN]
Members
650 posts
10,055 battles

The Lion and Conq super heal was nerfed to a long cooldown, this is why many suggest the Dunkirk captain and his enhanced Jack of all Trades skill.  Enhanced Exp Marksman doesn't hurt either.

Members
352 posts
4,662 battles

It used to be a no-brainer: Fire prevention and concealment at T4.  But with the nerfs to concealment on BBs, there is a little more wiggle room.  WG is trying to move people away from the no-brainer decision on concealment.  Also, the mega-heal on Lion and Conqueror makes Fire prevention a debatable pick (you can heal all the fire damage back easily), which frees up a lot of points for experimentation.

Lately I've experimented with a total troll build on my Conqueror.  I use the legendary module in place of the concealment.  This makes me pretty darn nimble with a 7.6 rudder shift.  I continue using concealment expert for a respectable 13.7km stealth, but instead of FP I opt for demo expert and superintendent at T3.  At T2 I take EM, AR and JoAT (anything to bring down the long heal reload time is important).  At T1 it's PT and EL (yes, I often shoot AP in the Conqueror and it's important to be able to switch out depending on targets of opportunity).

Along with flags, this sits me at a 52% fire chance, which is just obscene.  Plus I have the maneuverability of a battlecruiser and fair concealment.  Suits me fine.