You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KaptainKaybe

So how will the premium CVs play post-rework?

25 comments in this topic

[DRACS]
Members
4,094 posts

Hi Wargaming,

The launch of the CV rework is hitting the live server within weeks at this point. We've all seen the USN and IJN CVs in action on supertest and then public test. We all know how they operate.

But we are still completely in the dark about how Kaga, Saipan, Enterprise, and Graf Zeppelin will play. We do know that refunds will be offered, but most of us care less about that and more about what they look like post-rework. I have an Enterprise and a Saipan in my port looking at me with sad puppy eyes.

Has any testing been done on these, even if just secret supertest? I don't recall hearing of any comments from CCs nor any mention from an official livestream (that I know of).

Any news?

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
5,971 posts
7,952 battles
13 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Hi Wargaming,

The launch of the CV rework is hitting the live server within weeks at this point. We've all seen the USN and IJN CVs in action on supertest and then public test. We all know how they operate.

But we are still completely in the dark about how Kaga, Saipan, Enterprise, and Graf Zeppelin will play. We do know that refunds will be offered, but most of us care less about that and more about what they look like post-rework. I have an Enterprise and a Saipan in my port looking at me with sad puppy eyes.

Has any testing been done on these, even if just secret supertest? I don't recall hearing of any comments from CCs nor any mention from an official livestream (that I know of).

Any news?

We have asked, and have been duly ignored. Official WG position is : tenor.gif

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
1,617 posts
2,633 battles

I read (I think in the q and a) that all premium CVS will become tier 8 (kaga and saipain). And there is refunds. 

Other than that I think we are in the dark. I assume they will be like every other CV, which will be interesting since saipain draws mainly on its fighters

Edited by _1204_

[SPTR]
Members
2,265 posts
2,294 battles
17 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Hi Wargaming,

Any news?

Enterprise and Graf Zeppelin are T8s so they will be unaffected by the tier changes

how they play is another matter entirely but i think they will be relatively similar to what they were when they were released

[SPTR]
Members
2,265 posts
2,294 battles
5 minutes ago, custer_14 said:

After the rework premium CVs will keep the RTS play style. :cap_tea:

wait... you're saying premium CVs will be better than regular ones?

AND have a different combat system!?

Related image

if that happens guess how many Kagas, Enterprises, Zeppelins, etc. we'll be seeing in MM

Edited by Ace6steel
  • Funny 3

[FARQD]
Members
482 posts
6,864 battles
2 minutes ago, Ace6steel said:

wait... you're saying premium CVs will be better than regular ones?

AND have a different combat system!?

Related image

if that happens guess how many Kagas, Enterprises, Zeppelins, etc. we'll be seeing in MM

That was a joke ;p

[SPTR]
Members
2,265 posts
2,294 battles
1 minute ago, sansfaille said:

That was a joke ;p

good cause then it would be premium CVs for days in MM

[_-_]
Members
1,576 posts

Short answer: we don't know.

I id run into a Kaga in one match and an Enterprise in other, but they seemed to be driven by ST's who were utterly silent in chat.

Their functionality did not appear to be any different than the tech tree Lexington.

• Cool 1

Members
26 posts
2,428 battles

They haven't really said anything yet besides the fact that the tier 7 prem cvs will move to tier 8. I assume they will still have to include features to keep them unique compared to their tech tree counterparts. Such as the torp drop pattern, and maybe the specific planes, or something with consumables. It's all just speculation though.

[SBS]
Members
3,257 posts
2,408 battles

I'm curious if we'll see the RN CVs hit the PTS this weekend.  That might light a fire under some backsides to get on the PTS.

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,517 posts
11,877 battles

*ward because have premium cvs* its a good question wg should awnser this soon, if they keep OP as hell maybe i will keep it and not ask for refund...

[SPTR]
Members
2,265 posts
2,294 battles
11 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

I'm curious if we'll see the RN CVs hit the PTS this weekend.  That might light a fire under some backsides to get on the PTS.

WG did say they would add that once the rework hit

[DRACS]
Members
4,094 posts

I have this GIGANTIC beef with Wargaming putting Saipan at tier 8. USN already have a tier 8 premium CV with the Enterprise. Why would the *only other* USN premium CV also be tier 8? As it stands, tier 8 is already the worst tier for CVs as they frequently get uptiered into tier 10 matches with tier 10 AA.

Saipan should be made into a tier 6 CV. At least this way, the two USN carriers can play at different tiers.

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,517 posts
11,877 battles
2 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

I have this GIGANTIC beef with Wargaming putting Saipan at tier 8. USN already have a tier 8 premium CV with the Enterprise. Why would the *only other* USN premium CV also be tier 8? As it stands, tier 8 is already the worst tier for CVs as they frequently get uptiered into tier 10 matches with tier 10 AA.

Saipan should be made into a tier 6 CV. At least this way, the two USN carriers can play at different tiers.

People buy a T7, made she become a T6 can cause serius problens (sinse T6 are cheap then T8).

Fight vs a TX its can be a problem if the planes be week, its more a matter os stats... The biggest problem to fight a TX in a carrier is the limited amout of planes, i guess we need wait to see...

[DRACS]
Members
4,094 posts
14 minutes ago, HyenaHiena said:

People buy a T7, made she become a T6 can cause serius problens (sinse T6 are cheap then T8).

Ah. That's true. I hadn't considered that. Perhaps Wargaming can offer a doubloon compensation for dropping a tier. I'm sure many player would love this since they can play their favorite carrier AND get some free doubloons out of it.

[WOLF1]
Members
3,796 posts
1,512 battles
30 minutes ago, Ace6steel said:

WG did say they would add that once the rework hit

The RN CVs have not been shown in PTS.  It is possible that those aren't going to be seen till the February patch, or perhaps be like the RN DD release, where you can pick up 1 or 2 as missions from collection crates, but you didn't have the full tech tree release till a patch later.

I'm interested to see what happens with the premium carriers, but I suspect that's a priority *after* initial balancing of the tech tree ships after live release.

[-BRS-]
Beta Testers
123 posts
12,814 battles

I'm interested to see what WG does with the Kaga since one of the big selling points was its unique drop pattern. If they eliminate the drop pattern then they need to come up with some other unique gimmick for the Kaga (probably for the Saipan also since it had unique selling points also that wont work well with the new modes).

[NUWES]
Members
1,926 posts
6,295 battles
On 1/16/2019 at 3:39 PM, KaptainKaybe said:

I generally agree. It is a better way to split the premiums, but Saipan was a post-war carrier. She never operated the low tier planes on T6.   I would bet that Saipan on T8 is flying the same planes as Midway, but has much smaller attack waves and with a smaller overall squadron to counterbalance. Midway currently seems to use 12 plan squadrons of BTD Destroyer torpedo planes and 3 attack in each wave (each with 2 torpedoes). Saipan may for example only have six plane squadrons total and attack with 2 planes per (each with 2 torpedoes). It may also have a limitation like it does now where it can only use TBs or DBs that  you select before the match or something like that. That isn't a big issue for T8 opposition although it may be for T6. The big concern for me with Saipan on T8 is it is a truly tiny carrier for T8. She would be quite vulnerable to sniping. I suspect sooner or later USS Wasp will show up as a premium T6. She is similar in size to Ranger and operated similar-era planes.  

The bigger issue for me is how are they going to differentiate Enterprise from Lexington since they both used mostly the same planes and were from the same era. Lexington actually sank early in the war and never got late war planes (although Lexington in the game is really her sister USS Saratoga, which did).  It wouldn't surprise me if Enterprise's DBs are still using AP bombs or something like that to make her more obviously different from Lexington. They might also do something crazy like have Enterprise run bigger waves of lower-tier planes although to me that runs the risk of giving it too big of an alpha strike capability when they intentionally were trying to move away from that. Good AA ships would have nothing to fear, but low AA ships would get devastated. They could do the same for Kaga (much as she is now) but I would prefer they not for the reasons I stated. 

[-GDP-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,578 posts
1,064 battles

I need to get on the PTS round 3 to get the feel of it and see if I want to buy those CV. 

Beta Testers
1,479 posts

Id prefer they give the premium CVs a unique flavor that is not directly translated into damage output. 

For example, Saipan could be made into a dive bomber and fighter only carrier. Aka its squadron does not have rocket nor torpedo plane option. It would instead have only dive bombers and it would have more fighter deploy options. It would have HE and AP dive bomber options. 

Kaga could be made into IJN's long range torpedo dropping ship... by having it receive only torpedo planes that have much longer 'attack run' timers (aka they can get low on the deck for longer periods of time) than any other carrier... but it has no dive bombers, no rockets and only a small amount of fighters. Its torpedoes would also have longer range than any IJN carrier (aka if IJN cvs max out at 7km then Kaga torpedoes would have 10km range). 

Overall those changes would allow the premium CVs to be unique yet not have damage output advantage over the other carriers. Dealing with and playing these CVs would require a different approach to gameplay.

• Cool 1

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
112 posts
4,356 battles

My best guess is the Kaga will keep it's unique torp spread, maybe have shorter range torps. Maybe a faster plane restock too.

Saipan will keep it's current planes, but maybe you can only choose torps or bombs with F4U rocket planes on both.

I haven't played the other two so I don't know their current specials. So these are just blind guesses Faster plane restock on Big E? Unique dive bomber drop on Graf Zep?

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
721 posts
6,228 battles

One thing's for certain, don't take the refund. Once the rework is done they'll start putting CVs back in super-containers/santa crates. That decreases the odds you'll win a ship you want. Can't wait to find out what they're going to do with Saipan.