106 comments in this topic

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,611 posts
2,463 battles

The only ship I used FXP to complete so I could get past it.

I've never even used FXP to skip base modules on any other ship.

Edited by Helstrem
  • Cool 1

[DRACS]
Members
4,108 posts

Heh, I skipped past Emerald right to Leander due to all the negative comments I heard. Honestly, I feel Tier 6 is where these boats really start to shine, so yes, Emerald is definitely a wall.

Doesn't help that she's Tier 5 and sees Tier 7 matches regularly.

Members
3,633 posts
7,403 battles
6 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

If she gets spotted, she takes citadel hits.  This ship practically prints Devastating Strike medals for the enemy team. 

lol A fine grouchy post and spot on.

Beta Testers
597 posts
7,319 battles

I think, the road to the Minotaur is a rough one.  Some good ships along the way but as you mentioned many that are floating citadels.  Heck I went into port once and my Neptune spontaneously exploded after clicking on her (kidding).  Several fun to play ships in the line (Fiji, Belfast, Minotaur), but as you said Mouse, with the balance players need to realize that a stiff breeze is dangerous to these ships :)

• Funny 1

Members
20,815 posts
5,614 battles
4 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

The only ship I used FXP to complete so I could get past it.

Original Karlsruhe was mine. Would have skipped Emerald too, but got a Leander in a New Year's event, (after playing 5 horrid games in Emerald) so was spared the decision lol.

Members
934 posts
2,399 battles

I guess I'm a outlier but overall I like her. She teaches alot of lessons for cruiser players that they need going forward. If anything I hated the danae more.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,436 posts
2,075 battles
7 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Original Karlsruhe was mine. Would have skipped Emerald too, but got a Leander in a New Year's event, (after playing 5 horrid games in Emerald) so was spared the decision lol.

Oof, yeah, Karlsruhe was one of the first ships in the game that I could not stand. That being said, I played through her, actually got pretty good at her in the end, and then when I reached Königsberg it was truly a great reward

[LUCK]
Members
1,617 posts
21,645 battles

Day 1 of the RN cruiser release, I FreeXP'd to Emerald. 1 battle is all it took to convince me to FreeXP to Leander. Citadelled with HE- I think from a destroyer.

[WOLF2]
Members
75 posts
6,210 battles

Maybe it is underperforming because all of us who know how to play the game actually FXPed passed it.  Never actually thought of that until I started reading some of these replies.   

And to add to Emerald's citadel issues.  I learned awhile ago and I can citadel the emerald with the Farragut....WITH HE (IFHE)!!!  If I can hit a Emerald at max range almost every hit will be a citadel because it plunges right threw the thin decking and the citadel takes up so much of the ship... They just melt away.  Well, usually a BB will delete them before I can completely melt them... 

• Cool 2

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,848 posts
6,889 battles

I can only agree, and have to add that her armament is 100% insufficient as a T5.

She can get a maximum of six (6) guns onto one target, with each reloading within 7.5 seconds. Now compare that to Königsberg, with nine barrels and 7.5s reload. Or Omaha with eight guns and 7s reload. The only one who comes lose is Emile Bertin with nine guns and 13s reload, but then again, Emile has enough going for her. So her damage output with her guns is poor. What about the Torpedoes? Well... they might work at T4, perhabs at T5... but against T6 and 7? With that range? With that citadel? Hah!

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,848 posts
6,889 battles
4 minutes ago, fishin79 said:

Maybe it is underperforming because all of us who know how to play the game actually FXPed passed it.  Never actually thought of that until I started reading some of these replies.   

I actually rebought her for a handful of games. In every single battle I wished to instead be playing Königsberg.

Members
1,171 posts
5,386 battles

I' believe I have citadeled that ship firing IFHE in a Belfast before.  I feel bad for emeralds that are visible.  You can count their life expectancy in seconds.

Members
211 posts
8,504 battles

Am I the only one who plays every ship in the tree and not free XP through it? 

[KP]
Members
220 posts
202 battles
32 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

There is a cruiser in World of Warships that has so much going for it.

• She has a respectable top speed 33 knots.
  • Her engines are improved, losing only 2.5% of its top speed in a turn and boasting excellent acceleration.
  • She throws herself about at a 6.7º/s rotation rate which is on destroyer levels.
  • Her main batteries allow her to take on aggressive attack angles, letting her fire with 5/6ths of her broadside 27º off her bow.
  • The length of her waterline belt extends right to the bow, preventing overmatching even from Yamato's 460mm guns.
  • She has one of the largest hit point pools at her tier.
  • She has the best gun handling of any of the cruisers at her tier.
  • She has the heaviest torpedo armament of any of the cruisers at her tier.
  • She has the best concealment of any of the cruisers at her tier.
  • She is the only cruiser at her tier (currently) with a Repair Party.
  • She also has a Smoke Generator and Hydroacoustic Search.

This is a short list of some (but not all) of HMS Emerald's perks.

And yet, somehow, despite this long list of perks and gimmicks, Emerald is hands-down the worst performing vessel in World of Warships.  This is across all tiers, all ship types, all nations.  To bring all of her advantages into line, Emerald has been "balanced" with arguably the most exposed citadel in World of Warships.  It's so bad that only 25mm of penetration is needed to land citadel hits, which is well within the ability of 150mm armed cruisers.  This is greater than Omaha-levels of suckage and not in the sexy way either.  Imagine Omaha having her citadel extending up to her deck and extending twice as long.  What's more, Destroyer caliber AP shells can also best her 76mm belt at close ranges which means even more citadel damage.  It's almost comical how readily this ship takes hits to her machine spaces.  If she gets spotted, she takes citadel hits.  This ship practically prints Devastating Strike medals for the enemy team.

9F2Ah8h.jpg
Colour enhanced to better show off her citadel.  The large yellow band of her belt and the green deck armour is all citadel.  You can clearly see her extended waterline belt in green reaching up towards her prow.  The only problem there is that the citadel sits HIGHER than the waterline belt, meaning they'll just overmatch the 13mm blue part and citadel you anyway when you try and facetank.

"If you think you're good at World of Warships, play Emerald."

Emerald will test you.  While she's perfectly capable of delivering some impressive games -- with that many perks, it's obvious she's got a lot going for her.  The catch then is to not be shot.  You need to make her the most unappetizing target possible and that's not easy when the community as a whole knows she's as juicy an XP pinata as Omaha or Nurnberg.  If you can pull it off, sure you've got Kraken Unleashed and High Caliber and Confederate medals to win.  But that's a pretty big, unreliable 'if'.

The real travesty of Emerald is that she's a wall for new players.  If you've been trucking up the Royal Navy cruiser line (like a certain Mouse has been doing on her re-roll account) it's a real shock to go from Danae to Emerald.  Not only are you dealing with a ship that explodes if you look at her funny, this also coincides with suddenly being uptiered against tier VII ships.  The warm, cozy feeling of the kiddy-pool matchmaking will not be so far behind you that you can't remember how fun and comfortable that was by contrast and I'm certain that Emerald has turned more than a few players away from not only the Royal Navy cruiser line but possibly the game itself.

This ship, as implemented, has no business being in World of Warships.  Lower her damn citadel to the same level as her extended waterline belt.  This will remove her exposed citadel on the maindeck and give her a huge bump to survivability.  If you won't do that, replace her with the Arethusa-class.

Grumpy-Mouse out!

You can citdel it at all angles with the the 102mm guns on the Izyaslav. Think about that for a sec 102mm firing HE! That ships is a joke.

[SANK]
Members
223 posts
5,670 battles
35 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Snip.....

I have played most nations CA/CL and BB to t9. Russians and other navy DDs to T7. The Emerald was the only ship I have FXP'd through even when I tried to play it through. It's grind was HORRIBLE. Getting good XP in it was next to impossible.

I agree it is the worst ship to play, and I am grinding the Izumo right now (The only other ship I thought about FXPing out of).

This ship needs some TLC, with a side of a moonlight, candle lite dinner on the rooftop.

[FAE]
Members
2,312 posts
2,885 battles

I actually really like Emerald and so far am happily grinding it. (I'll likely be much happier with Leander and Fiji of course). 

Yes, it was immediately obvious that Emerald has a huge citadel. However there are 4 ways that one actively should avoid this. (And one thing you can't really avoid)

1. Get CE

2. Your line into battle should go straight towards rocks, to block you from view until you get up close to unleash your battery on things it actually works on. Put rocks directly between BBs and you. 

3. Things your battery works on: DDs and other cruisers (citadels others great) Therefore, only go towards these threats. vs a single BB, you can rush it with torpedoes. 

4. Once you're close, you can then quickly deploy smoke with your fast deceleration while you have a lot of targets to shoot. Try and be within 8km of two targets, and you will likely win the game all by yourself for the team. Her smoke is GOOD, she has hydro. You should also be running Joat and the -5% consumables flag. 

Thing you cannot fix and why WG's game sucks: If you're in a match with 5 bbs, and those stay alive towards the end game, just kiss your sorry donkey goodbye and any hope that your team will pull off a win for you. 

She's a great glass cannon small ship hunter. Avoid larger predators. Use smoke and reduce cool down. Her battery is very acceptable imo. Does consistent damage and has high accuracy and great for murdering DDs at 8km and under. 

This post makes no claim about her relative power level. Compared to GC and the BBs, everything is underpowered. I'm pretty sure Furutaka is better, Konigsberg is a sleeper hit thats better. But I think Emerald was the next in line for cruisers in T5 ranked, most specifically for the DD murdering and smoking. 

Edited by BlailBlerg
  • Cool 2

[-BMV-]
Members
1,226 posts
5,761 battles

She is certainly hard to love. Oddly though she has my best win rate of the Tier 5 cruisers. 66.67% though she only has 36 games. I almost never play her though as she is the single most stressful ship to play this side of carriers.

[KOI-S]
Members
236 posts
1,509 battles

But but but...we like emerald for its "if you're an uber, show us with this" factor.

Emerald = Humble pie for even the best!

Though to be fair, i have known at least one player who liked the challenge the emerald had. Masochist? Maybe so. But they seemed to like trying to get through a game with a decent damage amount.

Granted this was awhile back for me and my friend, only recently came back to the game after a few months away.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,092 posts
13,558 battles

I still have a bad taste in my mouth from having to supertest her ...

... through no less than three iterations.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,237 posts
11,044 battles

Emerald just conceptually doesn't work.

• The citadel size and 25mm exposed deck just can't be justified, I'd usually prefer firepower over armor (autobounce is autobounce after all) but Emerald is just a laughing stock there. Extending up to the deck is killer, and including the magazines as is not done on pretty much every other similar ship is just silly
  • The firepower is trash tier and the AP is incredibly weak, and... it only has AP (woo)
FkOOFR5.png

I'd say overall Emerald has bad firing angles. While she can get most of her (bad) firepower on target by 27° or so, up until that point she's pretty atrocious, and directly bow on very, very poor, angling even a bit is often deleterious - making you a bigger target, making it harder to chase DD and torpedo beat and keep firing.

The AP, and being AP only is also a major headache at T5. The penetration sucks, I think it's the lowest in tier just behind Omaha (at 10km Furutaka 202mm, Kirov 177mm, Emile Bertin 126mm, Murmansk 132mm, Konigsberg 88mm). This means it's pretty bad anti-cruiser even down there. Even a thin 76mm belt with a small amount of angle, 25° beats the AP outright outside of 8-9km.

Battleships at T4-T6 frequently have pretty small superstructures and distributed armor schemes. The Iron Duke for instance has 203/152mm armor all the way from the waterline to the deck - armor the Emerald cannot penetrate at any practical range. Only at higher tiers do ships start to get more all-or-nothing to give Emerald a bigger target. At that point though, they're even bigger threats. Meanwhile HE can struggle to do damage as well - but at least it can damage angled bows and start fires.

Destroyers can still autobounce AP, no matter what the angles from T6 and up, especially when they're running away. At T5 and below you overmatch them, but so does all the other 6in AP, and therefore the angles aren't useful, leaving only short fuse and arming threshold advantages.

Emerald is, along with Omaha a wildly poorly performing ship and not incidentally it's one of the oldest. Age isn't everything but at T5 for cruisers it does have an impact. Single, open gun mountings are SO 1915 darling! All the other cruisers (except some poor saps on Omaha) get these nice, sensible (warm/dry) new fangled turrets and what was a historic advantage seems doubly so in game. Firepower arcs - poor. Total broadside - 6x 152mm is pretty terrible compared to 9x 180mm or 9x 150.

I would definitely concur with binning Emerald, or possibly making her a derptastic premium on the lines of Yahagi with long range torps to actually act as a torpedo-centric cruiser and implementing the Arethusa - the hull for which is already in game as Huanghe.

TL/DR - Emerald is a stupid ship
  • Cool 3

Members
1,553 posts
13,208 battles

Is the tastiest morsel in the game.  When I see an Em on the other team, becomes a priory target, not because of its capabilities but because it is sooo easily harvested.  Almost do not have to aim, any ship can send shells towards an Em and get a feast of citidels and devastating strike awards back.  In my opinion, the worst ship in the game, not because of what it can do, but because any hit, by any type of ship just recks it.

[NSF]
Beta Testers
5,149 posts
7,299 battles

I’ll kindly decline, thank you. Good players don’t intentionally make themselves suffer when they don’t have to.