You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SJ_Sailer

How can BB's and DD's work together? Let's get on the same page.

25 comments in this topic

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
626 posts
1,444 battles

As a DD main I would love to have a bit more communication during a battle, especially during the beginning?

I can't go into a cap with no support as a DD and BB's and CA's won't go somewhere unless a DD is there first.  It seems every time I go into a cap there is another DD in there with two cruisers and a battleship behind them and I look around and all my ships turn around and go the other way, you can guess what happens to the DD in those situations.

So Battleship and Cruiser players, what do you expect from the DD's when a battle starts?  I want to be a good team player I can't just keep losing my ship the first 3 minutes of every battle.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[HYDRO]
Members
2,243 posts
4,197 battles

Cooperation can often be an urban legend, with very few exceptions.

In the few cases you get some however, focus on getting the radar cruisers and enemy DDs is paramount. Both open up a far larger area for you to use your speed and stealth, as well as keep spotting for you team. As a DD you should use quite often the command to focus fire specific targets, it's surprisingly helpful.

That said, if nobody supports you there is no point in fighting lost battles. Live to fight another day and try to harass or move to another, more supported cap. The only exceptions are some of the speedy gunboats that can delay flanks even if left alone but that's a small numbers of DDs.

[WOLF2]
Members
389 posts
12,168 battles

Good luck with that this.  I agree with everything you said and I for one do try and help DDs and push with them.  I play everything but CVs, but consider myself a BB/CA main since they’re what I’m good at.  I am fairly sucky with DDs even though I think they’re the most fun ship to play.    But on a random team of 12 you’ll be really really lucky if even half of your team thinks this way.   There are just too many people out there who don’t want to get their pretty camo scratched or just don’t pay any attention at all to what’s happening.

• Cool 3

[KP]
Beta Testers
2,482 posts
12,162 battles
5 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

As a DD main I would love to have a bit more communication during a battle, especially during the beginning?

I can't go into a cap with no support as a DD and BB's and CA's won't go somewhere unless a DD is there first.  It seems every time I go into a cap there is another DD in there with two cruisers and a battleship behind them and I look around and all my ships turn around and go the other way, you can guess what happens to the DD in those situations.

So Battleship and Cruiser players, what do you expect from the DD's when a battle starts?  I want to be a good team player I can't just keep losing my ship the first 3 minutes of every battle.

I often ask for people to focus the radar ships if seen or if they have shots on it, but alas they would rather shoot their counterpart BB to farm damage, I see what your asking and those that understand will often shoot at a dd or the CA's, but the best thing is to look at your mini map and see if your team is moving up to support, and if they are not, change how you are going to approach a cap, if not avoid capping completely for the very start of the game, as your no use to anyone especially yourself if your dead in the first 3 minutes.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,571 posts
13,465 battles

The best place to go as a DD at the start of the game is NEAR NOT INTO the cap. You will spot just as many enemies, but you are much less likely to be spotted in return, and you will not have to sacrifice a huge chunk of your HP to a facespotting experience with the enemy DD.

Once the enemy is sighted, the BBs on your team pretty much start auto-attacking them, because that's what they do. Good ones do it better, but the principle of the thing doesn't change.

Edited by Edgecase
  • Cool 1

[USCC2]
Members
4,420 posts

Communicate.

When in a DD I will indicate where I am going to go/spot/contest (A cap etc). The decision will be based on both the cover and escape route available at the location, but also on the support I can get from the team (i.e. there is no point in saying your going A cap and there is no way the BB will be able to get there in time to be effective).

Then I don't depend on anyone taking any notice, and play as if I have to depend on my own choices (because I do, it will be no one else's fault if I don't notice I have no support). I use the mini-map, look at the way the battle is going and react; that's about it for me. :Smile_honoring:

[-AA-]
Members
1,754 posts
6,667 battles

If there are multiple DDs don't go all to the same spot.
When you have the cover don't sit still and block the enemy cap, but spot the enemy DD.
Don't smoke up immediately when you see a shell coming towards you. 
Try to stay in front of your BBs to spot torpedoes. 

Most importantly of all, play BBs and cruisers yourself :)

Edited by LemonadeWarrior
  • Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
10,770 posts
26 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Living in a dream world Neo? :Smile_amazed:

WG has been trying for years to force the player base to play together, and failing at every turn....

Too much turnover, too many players who have no interest in learning the game mechanics, so team play is pretty much out the window.

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,685 battles
24 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

The best place to go as a DD at the start of the game is NEAR NOT INTO the cap. You will spot just as many enemies, but you are much less likely to be spotted in return, and you will not have to sacrifice a huge chunk of your HP to a facespotting experience with the enemy DD.

Once the enemy is sighted, the BBs on your team pretty much start auto-attacking them, because that's what they do. Good ones do it better, but the principle of the thing doesn't change.

This...............and don't smoke unless you have too. I have seen times when we have been the superior force against a cruiser or BB going yolo only to completely lose visuals because of a smoke screen laid by our own DD.

[KOI-S]
Members
236 posts
1,509 battles

Sadly there are some factors that BB players do have to deal with and is largely based on their own experiences and how well they play. I realize this as primarily a DD player, i get it at least, even if i dont always like the outcome.

I know a number of BB players, depending how well they are playing that day, will out right avoid even firing at enemy DD's cause they just miss over and over. On their good days they'll fire every time and do a great job deleting them. Some of this is due to how the rate of fire for most BB's are...eg long reload. DD's go in and out of sight, and some just get fed up trying to shoot the dam things (dd's).

Recently had a game where one support was firing and trying to help remove 2 dd's that kept pushing to keep me revealed. I managed to evade going in and out of range for awhile, but eventually the damage added up. Once i got deleted myself i informed for the team that they were not shooting at opposing DD's thus their last DD is now dead. Isn't rocket science to figure out who lost the game since they still had their 2 dd's (of 3). Some BB players get a bit upset when they are trying to help, but dont get credit for actually trying. Didnt get a chance to inform the one player who was helping, that my comments werent meant for them, but for the rest of the team only shooting at other revealed BB's off in the distance.

The long and short of it is, as a player, everyone has their good days and bad days. When BB's are on their game, as a DD you can feel like the king of the world, cause once other DD's are removed, its pure havoc and in your favor. When your team isn't feeling it, the DD is the first to know it.

Edited by xovian
  • Cool 1

[STW-M]
Members
2,530 posts
6,425 battles

Although I only occasionally dabble in randoms nowadays:

• If I'm a battleship trying to support my team's destroyers:
    • focus down all enemy destroyers and cruisers ASAP (especially radar cruisers)
    • try and draw fire from dd's
    • if it's either safe enough or necessary for victory, advance right alongside them; otherwise, support from a short distance back
  • If I'm a destroyer trying to support my team's battleships
    • screening for enemy destroyers and torpedoes
    • in certain cases, attempting to draw fire from low-health battleships
    • flushing out enemies hiding in smoke
    • if a battleship is willing to stop firing for some time, smoking them up if they're trying to withdraw to heal
  • Cool 1

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
1,633 posts
2,633 battles

I had a great game last night in my JB with a jutland. Not sur wid he felt the same, but we stuck together and almost pulled a win out of our butts. Just a few lucky shots and better positioning on my part could a done it. 

The issue is dds can get out of tight spots bb cant, and you work best when you are in close proximity with people. But still, communication is key

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
891 posts

I expect absolutely nothing - not only from a DD, but pretty much everyone else on my team. 

Sadly....I am never disappointed.

• Cool 1

[WOLFA]
Members
126 posts
6,837 battles

IMHO it would be great if the DDs first announce which two caps they will be focusing on so that BBs can choose the course and get the turrets turning, and radar equipped CA/CLs can get into position. Thank you very much to the DD players who in fact do announce where they will be headed. Yes, I will agree that just because you as a DD Captain announce where you will be heading, the ships you want supporting you may not head that way, but hopefully most of the time the BB and Cruiser Captains will announce to you that they will be going somewhere else so that you can choose to adjust your course or hold to your original strategy. Most importantly we as Captains need to communicate on strategy and stop the caustic degrading of other Captains who don't do what you want them to do. Teamwork is a winning strategy, whereas arguing has no benefit and holds no long term benefits.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
626 posts
1,444 battles
6 minutes ago, BlueByYou said:

IMHO it would be great if the DDs first announce which two caps they will be focusing on so that BBs can choose the course and get the turrets turning, and radar equipped CA/CLs can get into position. Thank you very much to the DD players who in fact do announce where they will be headed. Yes, I will agree that just because you as a DD Captain announce where you will be heading, the ships you want supporting you may not head that way, but hopefully most of the time the BB and Cruiser Captains will announce to you that they will be going somewhere else so that you can choose to adjust your course or hold to your original strategy. Most importantly we as Captains need to communicate on strategy and stop the caustic degrading of other Captains who don't do what you want them to do. Teamwork is a winning strategy, whereas arguing has no benefit and holds no long term benefits.

So looking at most of the advice out there..

• Announce your intentions - "Going to A cap"
  • Head out at 40 knots and look back to see if anyone else is going in your direction
    • If not turn around and go where everyone else is
  • Stop outside the cap and spot somewhere safe until help arrives
    • How close will BB or CA go to cap?
  • Go into cap and do best to stay alive

Is that the gist of it?

• Cool 1

[TX]
Members
358 posts
4,321 battles
1 hour ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

I often ask for people to focus the radar ships if seen or if they have shots on it, but alas they would rather shoot their counterpart BB to farm damage...

Idk... I think it's more about giving some payback than farming damage.

The first ships u see are usually those 15km ships. And the only thing that can reach is another BB. One fires at the other and hits, and the receiver fire back for revenge, regardless what squishy cruiser or hard to hit DD pops up.

[KRAK]
Members
2,016 posts
14,734 battles
1 hour ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Unfortunately as a DD 99 percent of the time you will have little to no support. The best way to play as a DD is to play like it is you versus 12 other ships. Do not depend on others and you will live longer. Do not try to cap early if there are radar ships and try not to fire your guns if you are spotted unless you are positive the other DD that spots you has no support so you can evade regain stealth. Firing your guns just keeps you lit up way longer and makes escape that much more difficult.

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,411 posts
13,962 battles
1 hour ago, Edgecase said:

furthering this point, getting in a cap is the auto signal for mouth breathing radar ships to hit the:

See the source image

[FAE]
Members
2,312 posts
2,885 battles

I think most of the time BB players don't have any idea what they need form DDs or what they need to do to support DDs. And I don't say this to be mean either. I know something: I try and shoot their DDs best I can (but rarely am I able to do a whole lot unless I'm lucky or the enemy is bad) . So I do push up a huge amount 4/4 or 3/4 speed, and then as is my special skill: tank and get out. But generally the damage is kind of low, and it seems even with this help, a lot of times the game goes downhill anyway. (Usually not on my side, the other side collapses and we lose.) Dunno if I had gone more traditionally and sat back and shot BBs and cruisers if it woulda changed anything. 

Members
171 posts
4,998 battles
21 minutes ago, jmanII said:

I expect absolutely nothing - not only from a DD, but pretty much everyone else on my team. 

This. This all day long. You can't rely on anyone in this game. Play assuming you're on your own, and play for yourself unless you manage to get a team that is somewhat competent. Your best bet, check the rankings of the players on your team, find the ones that have the best win rates, and spot for/support them. There's no point trying to carry the windowlickers when you can keep your good players alive and shooting. 

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles
31 minutes ago, jmanII said:

I hear that! I don't expect support when I'm trying to cap because just as often as not I don't get any. And when no one supports me, I don't try to cap, a live DD is more useful that a deleted one is. The only support that I can truly count on is what I get from my jockey shorts.

And support... From BBs?

1217191542_Crazylaugh.gif.3f96cc8603d3b56c9d56505bbef870c4.gif

[KP]
Beta Testers
2,482 posts
12,162 battles
25 minutes ago, Hydra_360ci said:

Idk... I think it's more about giving some payback than farming damage.

The first ships u see are usually those 15km ships. And the only thing that can reach is another BB. One fires at the other and hits, and the receiver fire back for revenge, regardless what squishy cruiser or hard to hit DD pops up.

Thats fine, and then that dumb BB player eats torps because they were to busy revenging than supporting, I get it, this is why I dont bother with caps till I want to

[SPTR]
Members
2,286 posts
2,295 battles

if you want more teamwork i am going to suggest joining a clan and/or get some friends of yours online and div up. I was divving up with two of my clanmates last night with my hunter/killer NC and the other two were rocking their premium T8s so they could do the 4th PEF directive. I just stuck with them during the rounds and supported them. I had a lot of fun actually

• Cool 1

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
431 posts
5,241 battles
2 hours ago, SJ_Sailer said:

It seems every time I go into a cap there is another DD in there with two cruisers and a battleship behind them and I look around and all my ships turn around and go the other way,...

So Battleship and Cruiser players, what do you expect from the DD's when a battle starts? 

so. i think you need to join the red team next game.. As you have observed, the reds seem to have teamwork figured out.  The green team is always a hot mess. o7.