You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
USSLangley

Gaming the CV rework for FXP?

13 comments in this topic

[OGU]
Members
93 posts
8,028 battles

Hi y'all,

I have read all the official stuff on the CV rework and read several of the threads here on the subject and I think I get it but I wanted to verify before I do anything wacky.

I currently have the US CV line finished and own the Lex, Essex and Midway.  On the IJN side, I am grinding my way through the tier VII Hiryu.

Thinking about trying to farm a little free XP here. 

Question no. 1

If I free XP the rest of my way to the Shokaku right before the update hits, will I receive the research value of the removed Hiryu in free XP as compensation? {Question 1.1: is there any reason NOT to buy the Shokaku before the update as opposed to after?)

Question no. 2

If I purchase an odd numbered CV that will be removed, (for example the Ranger, which I fully researched but no longer own), will the research value be added as free XP?  (Question 2.1: Any reason the same would not be true if i repurchase the tier V IJN CV?)

Am I missing anything here?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers,

D

[SC]
Alpha Tester
153 posts
5,968 battles

I think it's all speculation right now. Wait for them to tell us what is up. Until then save credits to buy boats if if necessary. 

My thought is if you want to turn in your carriers if you have them bought you will get free xp and credits for them if you don't have them bought you will get free xp. 

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
1,633 posts
2,633 battles

Well it's going to be one monster xp cost to jump from tier 4 to 6 (and so on). I doubt they will make it any less than it would be to grind an actual line from 4 to 6, so I'm guessing there will he little to no free xp compensation, unless they offer trading in tech tree CVs because your not pro-rework

[OGU]
Members
93 posts
8,028 battles

I really hadn't considered seeking any refunds for my even-tiered CV's. 

If I understand WG's plan as stated, my Hiryu and Essex will be removed and I will be compensated credits and free XP. 

Just wondering if I should stock up on odd-tiered CV's before the update hits.

Also, I think WG has announced that the post-update cost in XP of the two tier jump will be somewhat less than the same two tier jump costs now.

D

Edited by USSLangley

[PVE]
Members
12,459 posts
8,490 battles
On 1/16/2019 at 10:00 AM, USSLangley said:

Hi y'all,

I have read all the official stuff on the CV rework and read several of the threads here on the subject and I think I get it but I wanted to verify before I do anything wacky.

I currently have the US CV line finished and own the Lex, Essex and Midway.  On the IJN side, I am grinding my way through the tier VII Hiryu.

Thinking about trying to farm a little free XP here. 

Question no. 1

If I free XP the rest of my way to the Shokaku right before the update hits, will I receive the research value of the removed Hiryu in free XP as compensation? {Question 1.1: is there any reason NOT to buy the Shokaku before the update as opposed to after?)

Question no. 2

If I purchase an odd numbered CV that will be removed, (for example the Ranger, which I fully researched but no longer own), will the research value be added as free XP?  (Question 2.1: Any reason the same would not be true if i repurchase the tier V IJN CV?)

Am I missing anything here?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers,

D

The basics have been set out, but no specifics. I would wait for the specifics to come this week or early next week. Edit, update 8.0 delayed until Jan 30th.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/public-test/bulletin-080/

On 1/16/2019 at 10:25 AM, _1204_ said:

Well it's going to be one monster xp cost to jump from tier 4 to 6 (and so on). I doubt they will make it any less than it would be to grind an actual line from 4 to 6, so I'm guessing there will he little to no free xp compensation, unless they offer trading in tech tree CVs because your not pro-rework

WG has said that the jump from T4 to T6, will not be as much as T4, T5, T6, but more than T4, T5. No specifics yet.

On 1/16/2019 at 10:27 AM, USSLangley said:

I really hadn't considered seeking any refunds for my even-tiered CV's. 

If I understand WG's plan as stated, my Hiryu and Essex will be removed and I will be compensated credits and free XP. 

Just wondering if I should stock up on odd-tiered CV's before the update hits.

Also, I think WG has announced that the post-update cost in XP of the two tier jump will be somewhat less than the same two tier jump costs now.

D

Hiryu XP will be added to Ryujo for the grind to Shokaku after the rework. Specific numbers have not been announced, so I would wait on those.

Edited by Kizarvexis
  • Cool 1

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
529 posts
3,044 battles

If you're using FXP the best you can hope for is a refund.

The "total out" is only ever going to match what was put in.  For those players with regular xp invested, they may profit with essentially "free" conversion (perhaps with the intent to regrind).  There are other minor benefits like alleged full refund of permacamos that might have been bought on sale, etc., but that's basically non-FXP currency.

However, what won't happen is you dump 800K FXP to get a TX carrier today and you get credited 300K FXP and can refund for another 800K further for no rational reason.  That's clearly beyond the intent and scope of the reimbursement.

All that said, I did FXP an entire carrier line for a few reasons:

1) Snowflake coal/steel

2) Potential odd tier perma camo dubloon earnings (they were 50% off, T7/T9)

3) Ability to do some carrier focused missions on 8.0 release

4) Ability to try 8.0 carriers

5) Perceived lack of risk that I wouldn't get my FXP back if I wanted it.

So there are obviously likely to be some minor benefits even to just dump FXP into it, if you have it and the dubs/creds to "invest".

[ARGSY]
Members
8,073 posts
5,494 battles
52 minutes ago, USSLangley said:

Hi y'all,

At this late stage, I would regard any effort spent on getting odd-tier carriers as wasted. By all means, play the even-tiered one below it - but don't grind.

I don't remember exactly what's happening to the Japanese line, but I imagine having the Tier 8 carrier the day before the rework drops will guarantee that you have the Tier 8 carrier the morning after. 

As for gaming the system, I think the FXP we get if we cash in our carriers via the inventory will be the FXP we would have had to spend to get to that point. Note that there will be a special carriers section added to the inventory - merely selling them in the normal fashion will not get the desired results. There are people with millions of XP earned in battle on Bogues and suchlike; I don't think WG is going to be that generous with us.

[OGU]
Members
93 posts
8,028 battles

It's not really effort that I am talking about here.

I am trying to understand what happens to any odd tier CV's I own after the update if I have no even tiered CV below them?

Not grinding anything except my Hiryu so I can hopefully level-up to the tier VIII before the update hits.

I have a lot of spare credits, just wondering whether re-buying a few previously researched odd tiered CV's will translate into any free XP.

Thoughts?

Thanks

[PVE]
Members
12,459 posts
8,490 battles
1 minute ago, USSLangley said:

It's not really effort that I am talking about here.

I am trying to understand what happens to any odd tier CV's I own after the update if I have no even tiered CV below them?

Not grinding anything except my Hiryu so I can hopefully level-up to the tier VIII before the update hits.

I have a lot of spare credits, just wondering whether re-buying a few previously researched odd tiered CV's will translate into any free XP.

Thoughts?

Thanks

The odd tier CVs are being removed and will come back as split lines at a later date.

Nothing specific on exactly what the compensation is for having the CV in port vs being researched. A lot of that will depend on the new XP and credits and the like after the rework. There will be a series of CV rework articles according to WG and those are expected to have the compensation info. Worse case, we will find out in the 8.0 patch notes, which probably won't come out until Tue, Jan 29th as Update 8.0 is delayed to Jan 30th.

I would wait for the specifics before using FXP. By all means, grind for T8 Shokaku and depending on the specifics of the compensation, using FXP to finish it right before the patch, if you don't finish normally, *may* be warranted. We will see.

[OGU]
Members
93 posts
8,028 battles

Thanks, I will definitely use some FXP to finish the Hiryu as I will most likely fall short of the grind by the 29th.  I was under the impression that the compensation scheme, while vaguely described by WG, was somewhat more certain.

I would not be expending any FXP to fill my port with odd-tiered CV's, only credits, which I can easily spare.

Thanks again for the reply, especially the predicted scheduling of further compensation specifics.  I will hold off until then to make any investments in odd CV's.

[PVE]
Members
12,459 posts
8,490 battles
Just now, USSLangley said:

Thanks, I will definitely use some FXP to finish the Hiryu as I will most likely fall short of the grind by the 29th.  I was under the impression that the compensation scheme, while vaguely described by WG, was somewhat more certain.

I would not be expending any FXP to fill my port with odd-tiered CV's, only credits, which I can easily spare.

Thanks again for the reply, especially the predicted scheduling of further compensation specifics.  I will hold off until then to make any investments in odd CV's.

You are welcome.

I made a PSA thread and will update it as more info comes out.

• Cool 1

[OGU]
Members
93 posts
8,028 battles

Followed, thanks again!

You do great work on this site and I very much appreciate your efforts to translate WGlish to a language that I understand.

:}

Edited by USSLangley

[PVE]
Members
12,459 posts
8,490 battles
1 minute ago, USSLangley said:

Followed, thanks again!

You do great work on this site and I very much appreciate your efforts to translate WGlish to a language that I understand.

:}

You are welcome. it generally makes sense to me, so glad to help.