Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Tom_Lin

A question, should a Des Monies or a Salem using island as cover?

Should Des Monies Class Cruisers Use Island Cover?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Should Des Monies Class Cruisers Use Island Cover?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Team Kill The Player Using Island Cover?

• Yes
    • No

58 comments in this topic

[AK-47]
Members
174 posts
3,368 battles

Guys, I just got my Salem recently, and using it to grind missions in COOP mode.

I got fired by my team mate twice today because of using island cover.

The first time was done by a Musashi, the guy was focus fired by the bots and asking for assistance. The ships shooting at her include 3 BBs. A Musashi, a GK and a NC. I hide myself behind an island near team mate Musashi and fire all my guns at bot BBs that are firing at my team mate.... the distance was around 11Km away. Some how, the Musashi maybe feeling I am not helping, so the guy simply fire all his gun at my broadside and citadel me, took half of my HP away.

The second time was a DD. I use island cover after seeing 3 T10 and 1 T9 BBs heading my direction. Putting myself really close to an island and only use front guns so I won't receive returning fire from the bots. Those bot BBs heading my direction include a Yamato, a Jear Bart, a GK, and a Conqueror... at the end of the engagement, the DD's division mate, "friendly" Jear Bart, pushed me out of the cover while I am only 4Km away from bot Yamato, and have absolutely no cover.

The DD player feels unhappy about that I am using island cover and blame me for that. After I tell him Salem armor isn't enough against BBs with high caliber guns, he launched all his trops at my broadside from 4Km away....

So, here is my question, should Des Monies and Salem use island cover? I am generally a BB player so didn't know too much about cruiser game play. Also, should I team kill the player using island as their advantage?:cap_book:

Edited by Tom_Lin

[TACG]
Alpha Tester
350 posts
3,104 battles

A Salem and a Des Moines can take damage well, if in the open. But not recommended to be in the open, her sides are going to be a problem for her. Plus at 4km a Yamato could easily overmatched your armor

Edited by Starfleet1701

[PVE]
Members
12,411 posts
8,469 battles
3 minutes ago, Tom_Lin said:

Guys, I just got my Salem recently, and using it to grind missions in COOP mode.

The first time was done by a Musashi, the guy was focus fired by the bots and asking for assistance. The ships shooting at her include 3 BBs. A Musashi, a GK and a NC. I hide myself behind an island near team mate Musashi and fire all my guns at bot BBs that are firing at my team mate.... the distance was around 11Km away. Some how, the Musashi maybe feeling I am not helping, so the guy simply fire all his gun at my broadside and citadel me, took half of my HP away.

The second time was a DD. I use island cover after seeing 3 T10 and 1 T9 BBs heading my direction. Putting myself really close to an island and only use front guns so I won't receive returning fire from the bots. Those bot BBs heading my direction include a Yamato, a Jear Bart, a GK, and a Conqueror... at the end of the engagement, the DD's division mate, "friendly" Jear Bart, pushed me out of the cover while I am only 4Km away from bot Yamato, and have absolutely no cover.

The DD player feels unhappy about that I am using island cover and blame me for that. After I tell him Salem armor isn't enough against BBs with high caliber guns, he launched all his trops at my broadside from 4Km away....

So, here is my question, should Des Monies and Salem use island cover? I am generally a BB player so didn't know too much about cruiser game play. Also, should I team kill the player using island as their advantage?:cap_book:

In PvP, yes. Island cover is essential.

In co-op, you don't necessarily need to, but if you are being targeted, by all means, hide.

If you get the DM Unique Upgrade and stack it with the propulsion 2 mode in slot 4, you can accelerate from 0-27kts in like 8-9 seconds.

• Cool 1

[AK-47]
Members
174 posts
3,368 battles
Just now, Kizarvexis said:

In PvP, yes. Island cover is essential.

In co-op, you don't necessarily need to, but if you are being targeted, by all means, hide.

If you get the DM Unique Upgrade and stack it with the propulsion 2 mode in slot 4, you can accelerate from 0-27kts in like 8-9 seconds.

I don't have DM yet. I mostly playing BBs and saved enough coal for Salem... it's my first TX cruiser.

I received constant citadel hits from bot BBs even I have my Salem angled and actively dogging incoming shells.

Like for example, a bot GK fired at me from 18Km away, fired two salvos, both salvo citadel me for 15K damage... after that, I just simply find an island and took advantage of it....

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,035 posts
10,519 battles

The answer is YES it is the thing to do in most cases . Ignore the fools and let them wear pink over and over again if they want . It should not overly bother you as they are just ignorant ( in my opinion) . And as the results of the poll show pretty conclusively .

:Smile_honoring:

[-WTP-]
Members
740 posts
3,578 battles

Yes. Turn your disadvantage of high arcs into an advantage by utilizing island cover. Perfectly acceptable.

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
10,761 posts

You got shot in co-op? :Smile_amazed:

Things seem to be getting really absurd, most co-op high tier players are far more interested in scoring than worrying about the other guy.

Edited by awiggin
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[AK-47]
Members
174 posts
3,368 battles
11 minutes ago, awiggin said:

You got shot in co-op? :Smile_amazed:

Things seem to be getting really absurd, most co-op high tier players are far more interested in scoring than worrying about the other guy.

Yep, by a Musashi and an IJN DD player. Even the Jear Bart(DD player's division mate) some how bother to push me out of the cover so I can face bot Yammy at 5Km range with 27mm plating....

Get shot/troped by my team mate twice today because of using island cover.... make me starts wondering why....

Edited by Tom_Lin

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,900 posts
4,248 battles
50 minutes ago, Tom_Lin said:

fun fact OP, 90% of the server sucks in the DM. it has some of the worst stats across the server because people have no idea how to play it.

[PVE]
Members
12,411 posts
8,469 battles
29 minutes ago, Tom_Lin said:

I don't have DM yet. I mostly playing BBs and saved enough coal for Salem... it's my first TX cruiser.

I received constant citadel hits from bot BBs even I have my Salem angled and actively dogging incoming shells.

Like for example, a bot GK fired at me from 18Km away, fired two salvos, both salvo citadel me for 15K damage... after that, I just simply find an island and took advantage of it....

You don't seem to have a lot of US ships, so my guess is you have less than a 10pt Cmdr. The bots will be after you hard until you get CE. I would go for a Cmdr with these skills for your Marblehead, Indianapolis and Salem. Get one to 10 pts and then work on the others to specialize for each ship. Once you start up the US cruiser line, you can make your Marblehead Cmdr your Omaha Cmdr, Indianapolis one of the CAs and the Salem Cmdr your DM Cmdr.

Marblehead, go with a CL type build with something like this. PT, LS, DE, CE, IFHE, AR, Vig/BFT

Indianapolis, go with a CA type build with something like this PT, LS, BFT, CE, AFT, AR, SI/Vig

Salem, go with a high tier CA type build with something like this PT, EM, SI, CE, AFT, MFCAA, PM

Of course these are very likely to change with the AA rework on the 23rd. Definitely shoot for CE tho, as that will help against the bots. They like shooting at the first player they see.

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
Members
1,062 posts
7,669 battles

I've read the more players are punished with pink they are restricted from random to co-op only. Which stinks because co-op is where I take all my new boats on their shakedown cruises.

[WOLF9]
Members
7,605 posts
3,239 battles

I use island cover even in Tier 1 (one) cruisers to cut down on the number of ships shooting me as I kill them one by one. 

In Co-op, the bots will focus-fire the lowest HP ship visible to them, and that is often you.  You can't help your team if you're dead, so make it a point to stay alive.

That was about your tactics.  This is about your team.  Leave that pack of losers as soon as you can.  Find someone else to play with, or play alone.  Whether the morons agree with your tactics or not, team killing is NEVER justified. 

I has spoken!

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
9,261 posts
26,929 battles
53 minutes ago, Tom_Lin said:

The cits are programmed in and have nothing to do with your angling or armor. Those cheat cits suck and I wish WG would remove them. 

You can only avoid them by making the shells miss completely but no other way. So dont feel bad about eating them.

• Boring 1

[AK-47]
Members
174 posts
3,368 battles
32 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

You don't seem to have a lot of US ships, so my guess is you have less than a 10pt Cmdr. The bots will be after you hard until you get CE. I would go for a Cmdr with these skills for your Marblehead, Indianapolis and Salem. Get one to 10 pts and then work on the others to specialize for each ship. Once you start up the US cruiser line, you can make your Marblehead Cmdr your Omaha Cmdr, Indianapolis one of the CAs and the Salem Cmdr your DM Cmdr.

Marblehead, go with a CL type build with something like this. PT, LS, DE, CE, IFHE, AR, Vig/BFT

Indianapolis, go with a CA type build with something like this PT, LS, BFT, CE, AFT, AR, SI/Vig

Salem, go with a high tier CA type build with something like this PT, EM, SI, CE, AFT, MFCAA, PM

Of course these are very likely to change with the AA rework on the 23rd. Definitely shoot for CE tho, as that will help against the bots. They like shooting at the first player they see.

Thanks for the advise, I like Salem after trying her. Recent misson awarded me with T6 USN light cruiser, considering grind for Worcester after finishing the campaign missions.

[AK-47]
Members
174 posts
3,368 battles
20 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

The cits are programmed in and have nothing to do with your angling or armor. Those cheat cits suck and I wish WG would remove them. 

You can only avoid them by making the shells miss completely but no other way. So dont feel bad about eating them.

I think they also programmed instant fire, and human RPF...

[-GDP-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,578 posts
1,064 battles

Why do you think only BB love the ocean map, CA and DD love islands.

[AK-47]
Members
174 posts
3,368 battles
25 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

I use island cover even in Tier 1 (one) cruisers to cut down on the number of ships shooting me as I kill them one by one. 

In Co-op, the bots will focus-fire the lowest HP ship visible to them, and that is often you.  You can't help your team if you're dead, so make it a point to stay alive.

That was about your tactics.  This is about your team.  Leave that pack of losers as soon as you can.  Find someone else to play with, or play alone.  Whether the morons agree with your tactics or not, team killing is NEVER justified. 

I has spoken!

Not sure why. I receive complains about using island cover like one or two times in two days.... today just been really bad that my team mate starts to trying team kill me...

I mean, I am still doing dmg even behind island.... not sure why they are so unhappy about it.

[WOLF9]
Members
1,299 posts

I was in that match with you. The other guy was just a typical whiny D-bag. The Hall of Fame events bring them out of the woodwork as the scramble for kills intensifies.

[PVE]
Members
12,411 posts
8,469 battles
10 minutes ago, Tom_Lin said:

Thanks for the advise, I like Salem after trying her. Recent misson awarded me with T6 USN light cruiser, considering grind for Worcester after finishing the campaign missions.

If you got the Dallas in the PEF event, move your Marblehead Cmdr to Dallas. You will need to retrain him, but that's OK. Once he is trained for Dallas, he can still go into any US premium. You won't get to Worcester by the CV rework without a lot of FXP, so save AA skills for later. So concentrate on making the Dallas Cmdr at least a 10pt Cmdr if not 14pts. PT, AR/LS, SI, CE, IFHE are what to shoot for. Sprinkle in AA after the rework, but go for those 14 first. Move the Cmdr to new US CLs as you get them until he is on Worcester. Hopefully you will be at 19pts, or close to it by then.

[HGE]
Members
27 posts
3,523 battles

I would’ve used the Musashi as an island.  Cuz I can provide AA for the Mooo. When I’m in my Moooo I hug other CA and squish them between me and another island.  Best of both worlds!!!

As for the DD that person maybe launching torps along the gray guide line toward enemy. Which you happen to be in it’s path.  You’re lucky the DD didn’t report you for pulling the island in front of torp path!!

[AK-47]
Members
174 posts
3,368 battles
11 minutes ago, PyroWaves said:

I would’ve used the Musashi as an island.  Cuz I can provide AA for the Mooo. When I’m in my Moooo I hug other CA and squish them between me and another island.  Best of both worlds!!!

As for the DD that person maybe launching torps along the gray guide line toward enemy. Which you happen to be in it’s path.  You’re lucky the DD didn’t report you for pulling the island in front of torp path!!

I mean.... in that battle, at the time the team mate trop me, I think only ship left is the bot CV, which is like 18Km away, and that DD is not an Asashio... as for the Jear Bart that pushes me out of the cover, he literally cut into the tiny space between me and the island.... and did that right before Yammy passes my position.... it is really likely they are tying to either sunk me or letting the bot took care of me.

Just feel lucky this happened in COOP, not in other types of battles. I mostly play COOP, only do random for Yamamoto campaign....

Edited by Tom_Lin

[WOLF9]
Members
7,605 posts
3,239 battles

Grind that Dallas.  It's a good bote in its own right, but next is Helena, IMO the jewel of the USN cruiser lines. 

• Cool 2

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,052 posts
10,135 battles
27 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

In coop just go kill the bots, no need for islands.

Exactly, why are you bothering with islands in Co-Op? Pair up with a BB, let them take the lead, and go punch bots.

Sign in to follow this