Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Uncle_Lou

Russian DD play, captains, etc

11 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
348 posts
4,174 battles

So having struggled up the lines and reached tier 9 in both Russian DD lines, I am starting to think the Russian run and gun style just doesn't click for me.  I'm not sure if its just a playstyle adjustment I haven't been able to make or if the Russian boats just need high skill captains to be successful or what.  Intellectually I get the whole stay at speed, wiggle a bunch, and annoy the crap out of everyone play; but in practice I find that I eat a shipload of damage early on which renders me largely ineffective for the remainder of the game.  Both of my captains are relatively low skill for t9, I think they are both at 13 points because I was stupid at lower tiers.  I've been working to rectify that, but with the abysmal damage and WR I'm seeing on these ships its pretty slow going, and I find myself disinclined to play them because of the bad results.  My Udaloi for example has a 40% WR and only 37k average damage.  Sample sizes are small too, which may be a contributing factor.

I don't have any replays to share, but what am I missing with the RU boats?  The terrible concealment just kills me; I find it extremely difficult to disengage when I need to; and not just on the tier 9's, I've struggled all the way up the line to both do damage and dodge damage.

[AAA]
Members
545 posts
6,430 battles
21 minutes ago, Uncle_Lou said:

So having struggled up the lines and reached tier 9 in both Russian DD lines, I am starting to think the Russian run and gun style just doesn't click for me.  I'm not sure if its just a playstyle adjustment I haven't been able to make or if the Russian boats just need high skill captains to be successful or what.  Intellectually I get the whole stay at speed, wiggle a bunch, and annoy the crap out of everyone play; but in practice I find that I eat a shipload of damage early on which renders me largely ineffective for the remainder of the game.  Both of my captains are relatively low skill for t9, I think they are both at 13 points because I was stupid at lower tiers.  I've been working to rectify that, but with the abysmal damage and WR I'm seeing on these ships its pretty slow going, and I find myself disinclined to play them because of the bad results.  My Udaloi for example has a 40% WR and only 37k average damage.  Sample sizes are small too, which may be a contributing factor.

I don't have any replays to share, but what am I missing with the RU boats?  The terrible concealment just kills me; I find it extremely difficult to disengage when I need to; and not just on the tier 9's, I've struggled all the way up the line to both do damage and dodge damage.

Honestly I didn't like either T9 RU DDs. Lot of people do, but it was a painful grind to get through. Minsk was a great boat. However both t10s are rock stars. I took lots of damage in both t9s and it was frustrating, but the Khab just shrugs stuff off and the Groz is a beast.

1. You are not a dd. You are a light cruiser. Torps are a novelty. I went games without launching any. They are for end game situations where you close and launch at point blank range or ambushes through islands. Sit back in front of the BBs and shoot. Drive figure 8s around the bbs. If cruisers are pushing sit with them and shoot.

2. Don't cap. you aren't a dd. Everyone tells you to cap, but you aren't a dd. Don't play like a dd.

3. For the Khab line I took AFT as my only 4 point skill, then DE, BFT, SE, and SI at 3 points, LS at 2 and PT at 1. Full gun build.

4. Groz CE at 4, then the same build.

I also run the fire flags, the speed flags, speed boost mod, and go fast and shoot everything.

STAY AT RANGE. 10-12 km minimum.

Hope this helps

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
791 posts
12,698 battles

I could never consistently do well with Tashkent or Udaloi at tier nine. Both point in the direction of what is to come, but neither can do it very well. Not to say you cannot have good games with them. You can. It was tough for me, though. But with Khabarovsk and Grozovoi I do pretty well. For me, the painful tier nine grinds were richly rewarded with the tier ten ships.

Respects,

Am

[HYDRO]
Members
2,241 posts
4,197 battles

I can only talk about Tashkent, but I got about 100 battles in him with decent stats. 

For a 13 point Commander I would recommend PT, LS, DE, and AFT, then SE.

I would also advise you use the Engine Boost special Upgrade; you get quite a bit out of her.

Signal wise, Sierra Mike for the extra speed and India Delta for the extra HP on the  Repair Party.

With all these you get a 48+ knot gunboat with 15.7km firing range.Remember that you can be a difficult target not just by running full speed, but also by slowing down, or even stopping at range. In general you want to see by experience and knowledge at what range you should fight and in which you can't.  For example a Grosser Kurfurst with the wonky accuracy and large superstructure can be fought within 13km; if closer you risk secondary fire.  On the other hand a Moskva can be deadly even up to 14km.

Last, don't forget your torps are actually decent with the best reload for the Tier. Aim them at targets within smoke if in range, at anyone within 10km that is rushing you and around islands. People tend to disregard VMF DD torpedoes; use it to your advantage.

I could sit here writing about Tashkent tactics and it would take me quite a few thousand words. Hope this tiny bit helps.

[-BRS-]
Members
712 posts
13,091 battles

I have a different playstyle playing Russian DDs from everyone else and can teach you it if you like but it isn't exactly an easy thing to learn. It is best done through a voice chat session rather than a simple forum post. Feel free to message me if you're interested. 

[CRMSN]
Members
473 posts
3,154 battles

I enjoy my russian dds, and i play them very differently. Message if you wanna div. 

Edited by Anime_Is_Degeneracy

[NOBS]
Members
1,028 posts
7,571 battles
2 hours ago, Uncle_Lou said:

Since I'm just running up the line, keep boats on the edge of you detection, and spam them with HE rounds.  They are gun boats not torp boats. Different learning curve. 

[WULUF]
[WULUF]
Members
1,006 posts
3 hours ago, Uncle_Lou said:

Seriously? A row boat is a boat, a submarine is a boat, my car is a boat (cos it leaks!)

But a Russian DD is a ship, so is any cruiser, Battleship and Aircraft carrier...

(sorry for being a bastard about this but... is makes us vets cry .... honestly... like calling a screw a propeller... )

[WOLF9]
Members
348 posts
4,174 battles
32 minutes ago, kiwi1960 said:

Seriously? A row boat is a boat, a submarine is a boat, my car is a boat (cos it leaks!)

But a Russian DD is a ship, so is any cruiser, Battleship and Aircraft carrier...

(sorry for being a bastard about this but... is makes us vets cry .... honestly... like calling a screw a propeller... )

TBH I use the term "boat" in this case somewhat tongue in cheek, as I am well aware of the distinction between a boat and a ship and the agony caused by misusing the two terms.  I am most definitely not intending to cause offense, nor tears...  Much respect for vets!

[WULUF]
[WULUF]
Members
1,006 posts
29 minutes ago, Uncle_Lou said:

TBH I use the term "boat" in this case somewhat tongue in cheek, as I am well aware of the distinction between a boat and a ship and the agony caused by misusing the two terms.  I am most definitely not intending to cause offense, nor tears...  Much respect for vets!

Yes, I know... I'm just being a real old fart today! :Smile_unsure:

[WOLF9]
Members
348 posts
4,174 battles
6 hours ago, kiwi1960 said:

Yes, I know... I'm just being a real old fart today! :Smile_unsure:

Happens to the best of us!  o7

Sign in to follow this