You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dechion

Life after the CV rework

43 comments in this topic

[TACG]
Beta Testers
787 posts
2,157 battles

I have been doing some thinking about where to put my grinding effort going forward. 

I've spent most of my time playing DD's, generally stealthy boats in a scout/torp boat role.

For a while at least there is going to be an explosion of CV play, and that doesn't sound like much fun for someone who relies on staying hidden to stay alive.

That in mind I've started working my way up the USN cruiser line, as they seem to be pretty well equipped for AA, at least as things go now.

Was just looking for other captains thoughts on what you plan to sail after the rework goes live.

[SDIWO]
Members
1,186 posts
6,072 battles

Destroyers are going to have it better now with only one squadron of planes on the field.....stick with DD

• Cool 3

Members
611 posts
12,822 battles
25 minutes ago, LubzinNJ said:

Destroyers are going to have it better now with only one squadron of planes on the field.....stick with DD

Against poor cv players, sure.

Against GOOD cv players the cv's will recognize that DDs are a major threat and prioritize them.

A few rocket attacks, a little help from gun ships, no more issue.

And you thought radar made for passive DD play....you ain't seen nuthin' yet.

[TACG]
Beta Testers
787 posts
2,157 battles
13 minutes ago, Prothall said:

Against GOOD cv players the cv's will recognize that DDs are a major threat and prioritize them.

A few rocket attacks, a little help from gun ships, no more issue.

And you thought radar made for passive DD play....you ain't seen nuthin' yet.

That's exactly why I'm looking for greener pastures now.

The USN light cruiser line has been fun so far.

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
1,617 posts
2,633 battles

Immediately after I will be sailing aa. Good source of fun I expect.

In the long run I could see myself going for carriers. I love this game for the history (there is only one uss Missouri or Yamato). As such I really only play BBs. I dont play CVs now because their premiums are f'd up (I'm a collector at heart and know I cant catch em all) and because of the skill gap that exists. Hopefully wargaming with remedy both with their rework

Members
20,784 posts
5,614 battles
30 minutes ago, Prothall said:

The proportion in which they are encountered remains to be seen.....

Besides, good CV players already prioritise DDs.

[WOLF1]
Members
2,303 posts

it's ether CV way or the highway

i am searching for other games that have team battle like 12+ each side? lots of games only have 5 per side, i like more players, any suggestions?

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
9,328 posts
15,768 battles
1 hour ago, dechion said:

Was just looking for other captains thoughts on what you plan to sail after the rework goes live.

Submarines.

• Boring 1

[O_O]
Members
1,039 posts
7,195 battles

well...all i know is that my game play will be altered for CV big time!  i like my fighter plane....i add an extra fighter Sqd for less of Atk planes.  i would normally want to hunt down and kill the enemy's atk plane b4 they try to do harm to my fleet.  and that strat work for me. in the beginning for the games all the enemy's atk planes have been shot down, and my fleet is free from worries from above.  

with the Rework...that will change.... :( only one sqd in the air at a time.  

However, for AA ships...most of my CL/CA are already geared for AA or main gun build...in some ships both.  

BB's they are all on Secondary builds mostly.  the AAs will have to do with what its got.  the exception is my Musashi...for a T9 is more worst than a any other BB of her tier which would make a prime targets to be gunning for her on sight. to counter that.  instead of Secondary builds ...i boosted AA builds on her i can get her up to 75 AA rating, but i chose the mod for my main guns accuracy, so now instead of 50 AA rating at stock...its now 70.  since the main guns Sigma have been intentional [edited] up Big time vs the same guns on the Yamato, i need that accuracy mod for Musashi.  

my DDs will have to run an hide best as can...and try to shoot down any planes over head.  

Edited by Shinnidan

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
9,328 posts
15,768 battles
1 hour ago, LubzinNJ said:

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA 

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA 

(You're Funny!)

• Boring 2
  • Bad 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,237 posts
11,044 battles

I'm trying not to be too worried.

At high tiers at least there are relatively few carrier players currently, some of them are going to quit in disgust when the changes go through, some are going to go back down and restart the grind.

Quite how many carrier players there will initially be is unknown. If it's few, it may even downward spiral as people don't bother with long queue times so don't play at all.

[HYDRO]
Members
2,236 posts
4,191 battles

Provided the AA isn't totally borked I will continue playing DDs; 

Ships like Kidd will most likely be on the frontline with AA builds, provided AA isn't worthless. Then you can also be going the other path, trying out speed demons like Terrible or the VMF DD line. Not many should be able to get successful strikes on them due to the speed.

If all fails, time to enjoy Ranked (Tier IX and since no odd tier CVs, its guaranteed) and get some Steel I guess.

Edited by warheart1992

[SBS]
Members
3,257 posts
2,408 battles
Just now, mofton said:

I'm trying not to be too worried.

At high tiers at least there are relatively few carrier players currently, some of them are going to quit in disgust when the changes go through, some are going to go back down and restart the grind.

Quite how many carrier players there will initially be is unknown. If it's few, it may even downward spiral as people don't bother with long queue times so don't play at all.

I think one area where the rework will likely find success is in making CV fairly popular.  They will have the lowest skill floor, and I think many people will be attracted to that.  Personally, I actually find them fun to play.  That could be because they are new and I'm enjoying learning to play them.  How long that will last I don't know.  It could be for awhile as the players will be developing new tactics for CVs over the next few months.  That could be fun to be a part of.  I'm not likely to become a CV main, but I will play them, probably regularly (for the foreseeable future).  BTW, I fundamentally think CVs can't be balanced, and generally speaking I'm against CVs being in the game in any meaningful way.  I'd guess players that don't have my CV hate might be even more inclined to play them.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
8,332 posts
10,558 battles
1 hour ago, dechion said:

That's exactly why I'm looking for greener pastures now.

The USN light cruiser line has been fun so far.

The heavy USN CA Line is fun as well, their can Fair little better against other cruisers compared to some of the light CAs. But of course the light CAs often have more of the heavy AA guns on them.. And I too have been preparing for rework as much as possible by rushing some AA build ships into service just in case. Of course my DDs are not getting neglected either, and BBs are also prepared. Some BBs have many AA guns on them and often have been unfavorable for CVs to attack. So there should be something the new CVs will not enjoy attacking during the initial surge of CVs. 

Members
20,784 posts
5,614 battles
50 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

it's ether CV way or the highway

i am searching for other games that have team battle like 12+ each side? lots of games only have 5 per side, i like more players, any suggestions?

WarThunder....:Smile_hiding:

• Funny 1

[WOLF1]
Members
2,303 posts
12 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

is that good? i looked at wiki it seems to be quite successful, with millions of players, i am going to check it out

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,750 posts
3,923 battles
2 hours ago, dechion said:

I have been doing some thinking about where to put my grinding effort going forward. 

I've spent most of my time playing DD's, generally stealthy boats in a scout/torp boat role.

For a while at least there is going to be an explosion of CV play, and that doesn't sound like much fun for someone who relies on staying hidden to stay alive.

That in mind I've started working my way up the USN cruiser line, as they seem to be pretty well equipped for AA, at least as things go now.

I played DD's when CV's were in full force after release, I played when CV's were almost non existent, I will continue to play once the rework goes live :) 

Though I won't lie.. rocket attacks look devastating for DD's more then anything they have to deal with now.

[5IN]
Members
1,925 posts
8,938 battles

I'm here to play surface ships, not planes.  If I want a flight sim, I can go to WoWP (if it is still around), or somewhere else.  Time will tell as to how things turn out.  I remain cautiously opti-pessi-mistic.

B

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
3,797 posts
1,512 battles
30 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

They even have a naval arm now...biggest ship is cruisers, and you start in a Higgins boat or equivalent, though...

(I do go fly and tank when I get the itch.  I don't like WoWP's hitpoint model, same as I didn't like WoT's, but it works for WoWS, to me.)

Edited by mavfin87

[WOLF1]
Members
3,797 posts
1,512 battles
16 minutes ago, Cobraclutch said:

Though I won't lie.. rocket attacks look devastating for DD's more then anything they have to deal with now.

Think harassing chips, not big alpha strikes.

Members
20,784 posts
5,614 battles
7 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

is that good? i looked at wiki it seems to be quite successful, with millions of players, i am going to check it out

I haven't tried the ships, but the tanks gameplay was decently done, (just not to my taste) and I preferred the planes to WoWP. (although I never tried 2.0)

One nice feature is that it's all one game, if you're playing tanks and want to switch to planes, you just have to go back to your "port" screen, not exit to desktop and launch a different game. Also, you have the option of playing Arcade, Realistic, or Sim, with increasing limitations. For example, planes in Arcade spawn at several thousand feet, and guns automatically reload (takes about 10-15 seconds. In Sim, you have to take off manually and spend time climbing to altitude, and if you run out of ammo, you have to land at the airfield to reload. The flight model varies too. In Arcade, if your bomber is threatened, you can go into a 15000 ft. power dive, getting up close to Mach One. In Sim, try that and watch your wings come off lol.

WG and Gaijin both make what I consider pretty decent games, which is better pretty much comes down to individual taste IMO.

They're similar, but not copies. Each has their own design philosophy and mechanics.

• Cool 1

[TACG]
Beta Testers
787 posts
2,157 battles
Just now, mavfin87 said:

Think harassing chips, not big alpha strikes.

Think being perma spotted and watching the whole red team make you into a flaming hole in the water.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,283 posts
10,449 battles

I will continue to play all of the class plus CV's. I expect a lot of growing pains and opportunities for fun.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,283 posts
10,449 battles
1 minute ago, dechion said:

Think being perma spotted and watching the whole red team make you into a flaming hole in the water.

With just one squadron up..... CV's have less spotting now not more. If you get focused yeah going to be a pain but the ships on the other flank not getting spotted are going to be pressing on.

[WOLF1]
Members
2,303 posts
4 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I haven't tried the ships, but the tanks gameplay was decently done, (just not to my taste) and I preferred the planes to WoWP. (although I never tried 2.0)

One nice feature is that it's all one game, if you're playing tanks and want to switch to planes, you just have to go back to your "port" screen, not exit to desktop and launch a different game. Also, you have the option of playing Arcade, Realistic, or Sim, with increasing limitations. For example, planes in Arcade spawn at several thousand feet, and guns automatically reload (takes about 10-15 seconds. In Sim, you have to take off manually and spend time climbing to altitude, and if you run out of ammo, you have to land at the airfield to reload. The flight model varies too. In Arcade, if your bomber is threatened, you can go into a 15000 ft. power dive, getting up close to Mach One. In Sim, try that and watch your wings come off lol.

WG and Gaijin both make what I consider pretty decent games, which is better pretty much comes down to individual taste IMO.

They're similar, but not copies. Each has their own design philosophy and mechanics.

yeah sometimes i like arcade mode, i mean this wows is nice but sometimes too serious and not lots of fun and "entertainment"

how is warthunder compares to WoT in terms of tanks? i haven't tried tank battles, maybe i can give it a try