You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Tactical Assessment Tuesday - Okinawa

8 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,049 posts
6,599 battles

600px-Okinawa.png

When the battle takes place on the map Okinawa, which spots give you control of the map?

Patch 0.7.12 saw Okinawa revamped to open access from the northern lagoon into open water in the center.

In addition, the northern areas allow for more points of entry and escape for stealthy vessels to challenge and contest the OPFOR fleet.

The battle takes place on Okinawa, which areas do you head to for control of the map and the battle?

"If you're not making waves, you're not under weigh." - Chester Nimitz, US Navy

#tacticaltuesday

#anchorsaweigh

[TBW]
Members
6,968 posts
12,900 battles

I don't think I have had the pleasure of experiencing the change.

[TBOW]
Members
1,523 posts
11,441 battles

Personally I have not see much change in the way people play this map.  People are still getting bottled up in A cap.  The team that does BC still seems to be the team that wins.

[RKLES]
Members
8,343 posts
10,574 battles
23 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

600px-Okinawa.png

When the battle takes place on the map Okinawa, which spots give you control of the map?

Patch 0.7.12 saw Okinawa revamped to open access from the northern lagoon into open water in the center.

In addition, the northern areas allow for more points of entry and escape for stealthy vessels to challenge and contest the OPFOR fleet.

The battle takes place on Okinawa, which areas do you head to for control of the map and the battle?

"If you're not making waves, you're not under weigh." - Chester Nimitz, US Navy

#tacticaltuesday

#anchorsaweigh

First thing first, Wargaming has a crash bug that kicks in during loading usually, and sometimes later innthe battle on that map. So how ever many of us that can move usually need to hope the disconnected players can wake up and reinforce the team in fighting the battle.

Sadly Okinawa is one of the most consistent maps to have the crash bugs kick in on.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,571 posts
13,465 battles

Whichever team doesn't try to push 4 battleships through the A1 corner generally wins.

• Funny 1

[WOLFA]
Members
126 posts
6,837 battles
1 hour ago, GrimmeReaper said:

Personally I have not see much change in the way people play this map.  People are still getting bottled up in A cap.  The team that does BC still seems to be the team that wins.

With all the greatest respect, I don't know that I agree with you. I have seen many occasions where teams will focus on A and use it as a springboard to flank the other team's fleet because, as @Edgecase describes, some teams' end up having the majority of their BBs end up all to one far away corner (A1 usually) and unable to support the rest of the team, so BC cappers get spammed or focus fired upon, and then by the end of the game the breakout from A has too much momentum, and all three caps are owned by the team that originated in A. IMO, AB is a good initial goal, especially if you are the team originating in the North and have BBs with decent range that move in towards mid map. A is usually easier to hold, and if you has a few USN ships, they can lob shells into B over the top of the island relatively safely. Teams going C usually end up spread too far away to support B well enough.

Alpha Tester
7,108 posts
3,722 battles

I like Okinawa a bit more than in the past, but it's still not all that great of a map.

A has is too protected from the flanks, making it difficult to dislodge ships bunkered in, and you have to go way far out to do so.

B is still pretty meh. The two big islands in the center prevent much action coming from A, and the rest of it might as well be ocean which limits flanking positions from C.

C is now 5% less Ocean, providing cover for DDs towards B and not much else. The islands on the north and south are almost pointless.

Tactically B and C are a black hole for Cruisers that need to get closer to the action without smoke.

A is better, but the play there is stagnant, and island shooting opportunities are limited.

Members
1,381 posts
8,702 battles

Alot of players now just bunch up behind those islands at B. Its not unusual to see 4-5 ships on each team just huddled there.

Like 1-2 ships not a bad idea, radaring B and have firing angles on A/C. But half of the teams are now sitting there.