You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Questions on Event Ship XP transfers.

16 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
8,073 posts
5,494 battles

I reacquired the Orlan on the weekend (I can hardly say "repurchased", since she is free when stock) because I wanted to play my Aurora and Ovechkin captains and hear what they sound like. I noted with surprise that she has over three hundred thousand XP on her, but then realised where this came from - it's all the ship XP that accumulated from Halloween 2017 and 2018 and Space Battles 2018, and which is dumped to the Orlan when those ships are removed.

This raises two questions:

1) I was stupid not to fully research her way back then, wasn't I? Because then all of that 300K ship XP would be Elite ship XP and be available for conversion to FXP if I so chose. I did research her and make her elite for future occasions, BTW.

2) When XP is transferred to the ship in this manner, does it also bestow captain XP on the captain? Or is that somehow disconnected, so that you only win captain XP from ship XP earned in battle? I'm just wondering whether I threw away a beautiful opportunity here.

• Funny 1

Members
13 posts

1. I wouldn't say that. At worst you'd only have to find a free port slot to re-puchase the Orlan for zero credits and then research the module upgrade and research the Novik to make it Elite.

2. Because we were using 19-point captains the XP earned in battle was immediately converted to Elite commander XP, so we had the benefit from this already and it wasn't tied to a single captain.

[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,149 posts
10,071 battles

TBH you really didn't waste anything because all it takes is 1 or 2 battles in a T1 to research the T2. 

As has been pointed out the commander XP was applied while playing the ships. It is not applied afterwards so nothing missed there.

[ARGSY]
Members
8,073 posts
5,494 battles
50 minutes ago, DanSilverwing said:

At worst you'd only have to find a free port slot to re-puchase the Orlan for zero credits and then research the module upgrade and research the Novik to make it Elite.

I had long since researched the Novik but didn't research the Orlan's gun module simply because I was past it so quickly. I've fixed that. I don't know whether it makes all the XP currently on the Orlan elite, but any future special-event XP will now count. I'll probably park my Aurora captain in there, but I haven't yet worked out what I want to do with her.

50 minutes ago, DanSilverwing said:

Because we were using 19-point captains the XP earned in battle was immediately converted to Elite commander XP,

13 minutes ago, Fodder4U said:

As has been pointed out the commander XP was applied while playing the ships.

I didn't think they would allow us to double-dip like that, but it never hurts to ask! :Smile_teethhappy:

[TDG]
Members
1,526 posts
7,000 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I don't know whether it makes all the XP currently on the Orlan elite...

Ship XP on Elite Ships continues to accrue until you convert it to Free XP using doubloons.  This is just like Premium ships.

[ARGSY]
Members
8,073 posts
5,494 battles
48 minutes ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

Ship XP on Elite Ships continues to accrue until you convert it to Free XP using doubloons.  This is just like Premium ships.

I know, but the situation here is that the ship was not elite all the time 300K XP was accumulating on it, because I hadn't researched the gun module.

[TDG]
Members
1,526 posts
7,000 battles
4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I know, but the situation here is that the ship was not elite all the time 300K XP was accumulating on it, because I hadn't researched the gun module.

Doesn't matter.  Once the ship is Elite, you can convert that XP for doubloons.  It would be the same as if you had been playing for all this time and just researched the last time.

Something like this did happen with Akizuki.  I had over 400K on it before they added the last two ships.  It had been Elite.  Then a couple patches before the new ships dropped, she went not-Elite.  Once the ships dropped for all, I was able to research Kitakaze.  The remaining XP is again available from the again-Elite ship.

For all ships, it is Ship XP until converted.  Premium ships are Elite by definition.  The only test is if the ship is Elite when you want to convert the Ship XP to Free XP.  (Akizuki was fully-researched-but not-Elite for a time.)

[PVE]
Members
12,459 posts
8,490 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I had long since researched the Novik but didn't research the Orlan's gun module simply because I was past it so quickly. I've fixed that. I don't know whether it makes all the XP currently on the Orlan elite, but any future special-event XP will now count. I'll probably park my Aurora captain in there, but I haven't yet worked out what I want to do with her.

I didn't think they would allow us to double-dip like that, but it never hurts to ask! :Smile_teethhappy:

Yep, no double dipping. I've had 3 point Cmdrs on my T1 ships since before Halloween in 2017. They never got extra Cmdr XP when the event XP was transferred. 

The 300,000 ship XP on Orlan becomes 299,900 Elite Ship XP when you spend the 100 XP to fully research the Orlan. Aside from being ESXP that you can convert to FXP, it helps if you have not researched the T2 cruiser. One thousand or so XP lets you jump right to the T2 without having to play the few battles to do that manually. After that, it is just ESXP storage.

[ARGSY]
Members
8,073 posts
5,494 battles
38 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

. Aside from being ESXP that you can convert to FXP, it helps if you have not researched the T2 cruiser.

You're waaaaaaay too late for that, my friend.:Smile_teethhappy:

[PVE]
Members
12,459 posts
8,490 battles
36 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

You're waaaaaaay too late for that, my friend.:Smile_teethhappy:

I know, but that is the only other advantage. :Smile_teethhappy:

The ECXP from the rental 19pt Cmdrs is the big advantage.

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,703 posts

Yup cmdr exp is just free xp waiting to get converted and it accumulates at about 1/2 regular xp dependent on flags and camo of course.

[PVE]
Members
12,459 posts
8,490 battles
1 minute ago, StoptheViolins said:

Yup cmdr exp is just free xp waiting to get converted and it accumulates at about 1/2 regular xp dependent on flags and camo of course.

??

The Cmdr XP formula includes all the same modifiers as XP and then adds in the Cmdr XP modifiers. So Cmdr XP is always at least the same as ship XP if not more.

[WOLF9]
Members
7,629 posts
3,243 battles
9 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I don't know whether it makes all the XP currently on the Orlan elite,

Yes, it does.  "Elite' is a bit of a misnomer, though, since the only thing you can do with Elite XP is spend Dubs on it.

[WOLF9]
Members
7,629 posts
3,243 battles
24 minutes ago, StoptheViolins said:

What ??  Elite Commander XP *can* be converted to Free XP, but it's stupid to do so.  Non-elite CXP can't.  It's base accumulation rate is 100% of Ship XP anyway. 

Read up: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Economy

[ARGSY]
Members
8,073 posts
5,494 battles
8 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Elite Commander XP *can* be converted to Free XP, but it's stupid to do so.

Yes and no. Sure, you want the commander XP for training up subsequent 19 pointers, retraining, etc., but commander XP accumulates as fast as or faster than ship XP, certainly MUCH faster than FXP without uncommon mega-camo, and can be accumulated by ships that aren't yet elite.

I agree that all other avenues to obtain FXP should be tried before reaching for that reserve. But if you were a mega-whale sitting at your computer on the eve of patch 0.8.0 with your Whale Wallet open, your convertible XP blown on Musashi, your coal blown on Jean Bart, a lust for Kronshtadt in your heart and three quarter million captain XP lying around... wouldn't you? :Smile_trollface:

[WOLF9]
Members
7,629 posts
3,243 battles

Yes, there are a few cases where someone has more ECXP than he knows what to do with.  But that person would also have more FXP than he knows what to do with.  Say it costs 250,000 FXP to obtain the average ship.  It costs 1,700,000 ECXP to put a 19 point captain on it.  Even premium ships suffer that cost, though here it is possible to have a ship cost more experience than the new owner chooses to spend on the captain since most don't need a 19-pointer.

To your example, somebody might.  Not I.