You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
strykerpsg

Can the Steel Monster campaign be purchased twice?

29 comments in this topic

[SWNG]
Beta Testers
102 posts
3,838 battles

Just noticed the campaign is available to me in my premium shop, but I also received this campaign when I bought the PEF package with the stated campaign. So, would love to get more steel to keep in reserve, for forthcoming ships bought only with steel.

Thoughts?

[WORX]
Members
2,558 posts
13,909 battles

I dont think you can get it twice, HOWEVER... This does bring up the argument of P2W.

Does the element of buying for certain mission with certain rewards, Benefiting the few.... Is that the worse P2W element of the game ?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[PROJX]
Members
1,005 posts
17,199 battles
17 minutes ago, strykerpsg said:

Just noticed the campaign is available to me in my premium shop, but I also received this campaign when I bought the PEF package with the stated campaign. So, would love to get more steel to keep in reserve, for forthcoming ships bought only with steel.

Thoughts?

You can purchase the campaign twice, but only get the steel once (for the 1st purchase).  The second purchase extends the end-date of the campaign based on your purchase date, that's all....

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
12,411 posts
8,469 battles
20 minutes ago, strykerpsg said:

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, hangglide42 said:

You can purchase the campaign twice, but only get the steel once (for the 1st purchase).  The second purchase extends the end-date of the campaign based on your purchase date, that's all....

This. You can extend the time, but can not get double the Steel.

• Cool 1

[SWNG]
Beta Testers
102 posts
3,838 battles

Thanks for the quick reply. I did manage to get through the campaign pretty quickly so no need to extend the campaign. Guess I will have to get comfortable with ranked battles an clan wars.

[SWNG]
Beta Testers
102 posts
3,838 battles
2 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

I dont think you can get it twice, HOWEVER... This does bring up the argument of P2W.

Does the element of buying for certain mission with certain rewards, Benefiting the few.... Is that the worse P2W element of the game ?

While I understand the argument, for me its more about time management. Since I live/work overseas, but play on the NA server, it's very tough for me to coordinate good playing times with other clan members or ranked battles, so the steel campaign was perfect for me, allowing me to o the campaign missions at my pace and rate. 

• Cool 1

[CHMC]
[CHMC]
Members
334 posts
8,378 battles

That would only be a good question if the ships you could only buy with steel were really any good and lead to victories.
It's not like the Black, Flint, Bourgogne, and Stalingrad are any good though.

wait.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[NAUTI]
Members
339 posts
873 battles

It's not so much "P2W" as it is them just blatantly selling steel which is something they said they were never  going to do.

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
4,473 posts
14,393 battles

@Navalpride33 Please explain how any campaign obtained by any means could possibly be seen as Pay To Win! I have yet to see anything offered for purchase by WG or gifted/awarded that makes it possible for one to survive much less win every battle!

[WGA]
Administrator
904 posts
382 battles

You can only purchase this campaign just once.  While there may something like this in the future, Steel is still going to be a rarely rewarded currency.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
12,411 posts
8,469 battles
3 hours ago, PinkoCommieScumbag said:

It's not so much "P2W" as it is them just blatantly selling steel which is something they said they were never  going to do.

To the best of my knowledge, WG never stated that Steel would not be sold. It was stated as being a reward for Ranked, Clan Battles and possibly other battle modes. There was speculation by the community that Steel would be sold and of what other battle modes it might be available in.

In any case, you could not just plop down money and get Steel like you do doubloons. You still had to complete missions and campaigns, so your assertion of Steel being sold is not supported by what is going on.

• Cool 1

[TOG]
Members
3,009 posts
16,201 battles
6 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

It's a skill/time/money relationship to this. Either:

a. You're skilled enough to be in a storm league clan or better

b. You rank out in rank battles

c.  You got time to grind it out.

d. You have dinero to shorten the time to grind it out.

3 hours ago, PinkoCommieScumbag said:

2 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

To the best of my knowledge, WG never stated that Steel would not be sold. It was stated as being a reward for Ranked, Clan Battles and possibly other battle modes. There was speculation by the community that Steel would be sold and of what other battle modes it might be available in.

In any case, you could not just plop down money and get Steel like you do doubloons. You still had to complete missions and campaigns, so your assertion of Steel being sold is not supported by what is going on.

Well, the Steel Monster and Steel Prinz packages showed steel can be monetized. You still have to do the effort to get it though. It's just takes less effort. 

[PVE]
Members
12,411 posts
8,469 battles
20 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

It's a skill/time/money relationship to this. Either:

a. You're skilled enough to be in a storm league clan or better

b. You rank out in rank battles

c.  You got time to grind it out.

d. You have dinero to shorten the time to grind it out.

Well, the Steel Monster and Steel Prinz packages showed steel can be monetized. You still have to do the effort to get it though. It's just takes less effort. 

Yes, you can plop down $129.99 for Steel Prinz and get the Steel Monsters campaign and Might of Steel mission chain, but that doesn't give you Steel. You still have to complete them or you get 0 Steel for your money.

[TOG]
Members
3,009 posts
16,201 battles
6 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Yes, you can plop down $129.99 for Steel Prinz and get the Steel Monsters campaign and Might of Steel mission chain, but that doesn't give you Steel. You still have to complete them or you get 0 Steel for your money.

I thought I said that in the last 2 sentences.

6 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

You still have to do the effort to get it though. It's just takes less effort. 

[SPCU]
Members
556 posts
4,721 battles
7 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Black is great paper... Bourgogne is a great rock... Stalingrad is a great pair of scissors... but each has weaknesses. There's no premium ship that doesn't find a ham fisted backhand of a counter on the tech tree.

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
10,761 posts
5 hours ago, strykerpsg said:

Thanks for the quick reply. I did manage to get through the campaign pretty quickly so no need to extend the campaign. Guess I will have to get comfortable with ranked battles an clan wars.

That's the entire reason for selling steel. Sell enough to get people to bite, but only those who already have steel or are willing to do CB can get enough for anything good.

Just another sign of how desperate they are to get people in CB.

I joined a wolf clan simply for the bonuses to make this event easier, and I find it amusing as heck they feel the need to SPAM clan members with reminders about clan battles EVERY TIME YOU LOG IN!:Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 2

[TOG]
Members
3,009 posts
16,201 battles
34 minutes ago, awiggin said:

That's the entire reason for selling steel. Sell enough to get people to bite, but only those who already have steel or are willing to do CB can get enough for anything good.

Just another sign of how desperate they are to get people in CB.

I joined a wolf clan simply for the bonuses to make this event easier, and I find it amusing as heck they feel the need to SPAM clan members with reminders about clan battles EVERY TIME YOU LOG IN!:Smile_facepalm:

I see it more as a push for more people to play T10 ships. Note that rank and CB requires T10. BTW, who does the base structure set up for the wolf clans?

[PVE]
Members
12,411 posts
8,469 battles
23 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

I see it more as a push for more people to play T10 ships. Note that rank and CB requires T10. BTW, who does the base structure set up for the wolf clans?

The Cmdr and Deputy Cmdrs have that power.

[NAUTI]
Members
339 posts
873 battles
4 hours ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Note that rank and CB requires T10.

Not really. Only 2 of the 10 ranked seasons so far have been at T10, and they give free rental T10s for clan battles.

[PVE]
Members
7,216 posts
12,419 battles
13 hours ago, hangglide42 said:

This ^^^ WG stated this. You can only get the steel once but if you are running out of time you can buy it again to extend the time you have

[SEOP]
Members
1,474 posts
8,233 battles
13 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

How is it pay to win?  It certainly qualifies as "pay to get more steel".  What is it  --like 4k or 5K steel to complete all the tasks.(?) But by itself its not even close to the amount of steel you'd need to get the pure stalinimum Volgograd.  Nor is it enough to get you a Black or a Flint.   

All three of those ships could be classified as "play well to win more".  Conversely I'd reckon if you let a 45% w/r player buy a stalinimum Volgograd, Black or Flint, in the premium shop, I'd be willing to bet cash money on that 45% w/r player still having a 45% w/r after a hundred  or two hundred games in any of those 3 ships.

Edited by Dr_Dirt

[TOG]
Members
3,009 posts
16,201 battles
25 minutes ago, PinkoCommieScumbag said:

Not really. Only 2 of the 10 ranked seasons so far have been at T10, and they give free rental T10s for clan battles.

The 2 were the last two. Having a free rental comes with a couple of draw backs:

1. How much time do you have with the ship?  How proficient are you at hitting evading targets at 20 km away while doing WASD hax yourself?

2. No camo - in a game were the refrigerator reigns supreme, no camo means nekkid.

If we have a matchup between a Zao rental and a Zao specced for clan Battles, who do you think has better odds for victory?

[PVE]
Members
12,411 posts
8,469 battles
10 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

How is it pay to win?  It certainly qualifies as "pay to get more steel".  What is it  --like 4k or 5K steel to complete all the tasks.(?) But by itself its not even close to the amount of steel you'd need to get the pure stalinimum Volgograd.  Nor is it enough to get you a Black or a Flint.   

All three of those ships could be classified as "play well to win more".  Conversely I'd reckon if you let a 45% w/r player buy a stalinimum Volgograd, Black or Flint, in the premium shop, I'd be willing to bet cash money on that 45% w/r player still having a 45% w/r after a hundred  or two hundred games in any of those 3 ships.

If you put down $129.99 for the Steel Prinz bundle, then you can get up to 10,038 Steel as you get access to Steel Monsters 4,000 steel, Might of Steel 2,019 steel, the free Nerves of Steel 2,019 steel and the free Highness PEF campaign 2,000 steel.

The $99.99 Mighty Prinz bundle can get you up to 8,019 Steel with the Steel Monsters 4,000 steel, the free Nerves of Steel 2,019 steel and the free Highness PEF campaign 2,000 steel.

The other PEF bundles and/or free play get you up to 4,019 Steel with the free Nerves of Steel 2,019 steel and the free Highness PEF campaign 2,000 steel.

If you are in a clan, depending upon the level of your Steel port, you can get +5%, +7%, or +10% of the Steel amount.

These are all not including Steel Snowflakes.

[NAUTI]
Members
339 posts
873 battles
18 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

The 2 were the last two. Having a free rental comes with a couple of draw backs:

1. How much time do you have with the ship?  How proficient are you at hitting evading targets at 20 km away while doing WASD hax yourself?

2. No camo - in a game were the refrigerator reigns supreme, no camo means nekkid.

If we have a matchup between a Zao rental and a Zao specced for clan Battles, who do you think has better odds for victory?

I don't see why hitting and evading targets at 20km would be any different in a rental ship vs. a bought ship.

I would say the odds are better for the zao that was earned rather than the rental, but that's because the player in the rental is more likely to be less experienced. The slight drop in concealment due to not having camo wouldn't play a huge factor in my opinion. For a DD, sure, that would definitely be a more significant disadvantage, but not so much for a cruiser or BB.

[TOG]
Members
3,009 posts
16,201 battles
3 minutes ago, PinkoCommieScumbag said:

I don't see why hitting and evading targets at 20km would be any different in a rental ship vs. a bought ship.

I would say the odds are better for the zao that was earned rather than the rental, but that's because the player in the rental is more likely to be less experienced. The slight drop in concealment due to not having camo wouldn't play a huge factor in my opinion. For a DD, sure, that would definitely be a more significant disadvantage, but not so much for a cruiser or BB.

Simple..a Zao with a legendary mod (which you grinded out in the tech ship) has a rudder shift of 2.9 sec. That's DD level rudder shift there. Which means you can evade/ tank Yamato shells ( or anyone else's shells) far more easily. Torps also for that matter. The farther the range, the easier it is. You can't duplicate that with a rental.

As for having a larger detection range not being an issue...well try being spotted first by a dd sooner. And he doesn't have to shoot his guns at you. He just have to keep you visible for his buddies to shoot at you. Seen first focused fired on first. Add the lack of experience on how to play the ship  and being less nimble done a Zao specced for CB... well, you get the idea. That's why I always blanch if someone from my clan decides he wants to play a rental. He ain't going to live long.