You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_1204_

Vanguard... Buy early for the snowflake?

18 comments in this topic

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
1,633 posts
2,633 battles

So I came back after 3 months. I see in that time the HMS Dreadnaught has slipped through my fingers, but the Vanguard and WV (if I buy it... not sure if I need 2 WVs) are still in the premium shop. I am currently in the grind of a lifetime for Bourgogne, and I am sitting pretty with the PEF missions and steel monsters campaign going on. At about 12k steel out of 22k ish? (Using a coupon of course). I am probably going to end up with the Vanguard in my port one way or another... And the longer I wait the more likely it is to get missed. Am I crazy to jump the gun and buy it now(or later this week)? Im kinda hesitant because I just bought the steel monsters and PEF for campaign missions last weekend, although PEF has probably paid for itself 3 or 4 times over already. But every bit of steel helps! Its really an opinion/WWYD type question...

Also, what day does the snowflake stuff end? I think it is next patch right? Sometime next week? Im caught up on steel, but might try to squeeze in some major coal.

Edit: Read the LWM review. More of a collector at this point, but the ship looks decent. Nothing special, but not half bad either. The repair looks fun. Its not a super heal like conq is it?

Edited by _1204_

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
499 posts
14,897 battles

If you are certain that you are going to get it at some point, you might as well get it now.  She is worth 200 steel.

Snowflake event ends on January 23rd at o'dark thirty in the morning.

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,399 posts

Decent ship and 200 steel isn't a bad haul. (220 if you're in a super elite clan.)

[PVE]
Members
12,459 posts
8,490 battles
32 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

So I came back after 3 months. I see in that time the HMS Dreadnaught has slipped through my fingers, but the Vanguard and WV (if I buy it... not sure if I need 2 WVs) are still in the premium shop. I am currently in the grind of a lifetime for Bourgogne, and I am sitting pretty with the PEF missions and steel monsters campaign going on. At about 12k steel out of 22k ish? (Using a coupon of course). I am probably going to end up with the Vanguard in my port one way or another... And the longer I wait the more likely it is to get missed. Am I crazy to jump the gun and buy it now(or later this week)? Im kinda hesitant because I just bought the steel monsters and PEF for campaign missions last weekend, although PEF has probably paid for itself 3 or 4 times over already. But every bit of steel helps! Its really an opinion/WWYD type question...

Also, what day does the snowflake stuff end? I think it is next patch right? Sometime next week? Im caught up on steel, but might try to squeeze in some major coal.

Edit: Read the LWM review. More of a collector at this point, but the ship looks decent. Nothing special, but not half bad either. The repair looks fun. Its not a super heal like conq is it?

5 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

If you are certain that you are going to get it at some point, you might as well get it now.  She is worth 200 steel.

Snowflake event ends on January 23rd at o'dark thirty in the morning.

This^^

Snowflakes end when update 8.0 drops and it is scheduled for Jan 23rd right now.

Vanguard gets you 200 Steel. If you are a ship hoarder collector, then getting Vanguard now will get you some more steel.

Forgot, all the info for the stuff going on this patch.

Edited by Kizarvexis

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,237 posts
11,044 battles
29 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

LuM2Hhc.png

It has advantages over the regular repairs but it's not supermegaheal.

[WOLF5]
Members
619 posts
22,164 battles
33 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

If you're a collector then you may as well pick it up. WG rarely discounts high tier premiums. I think we had a 15% off doubloon ships before Christmas, but we rarely see discounts on relatively new ships across the board in the premium shop unless it's the Armada one for someone trying to catch up with the current releases. There may be national discounts sometimes, but traditionally T8's only get a 15% off so how much is 200 steel worth to you?

Your next chance to get it cheap (sorta) is likely going to be next years santa crates assuming they're still doing them.  

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
1,633 posts
2,633 battles
36 minutes ago, Stand_Alone97 said:

Vanguard is great.

Unlike the Monarch which will make you want to uninstall.

So if we loved monarch we will adore vanguard?

[PROJX]
Members
1,005 posts
17,229 battles
1 hour ago, _1204_ said:

More like, “...if you like Hood, you might like Vanguard...”....but watch your sides, she has a high above waterline citadel....

[LEGIT]
Members
1,483 posts
22,976 battles

FYI Musashi and Kronstadt are going away very soon, never to return in case you don't have them.

[INTEL]
Members
9,266 posts
26,933 battles

Also, she's challenging and fun to play. Can't wait til the grinds I am doing for the PEF stop and I can go back to playing her. It takes effort to coax damage out of those guns, and she is fragile, but the AA is sound (at least til the ReBork strikes) and she is fast enough to reposition herself to where she is needed in a hurry. 

[WOLF5]
Members
619 posts
22,164 battles
4 hours ago, slokill_1 said:

FYI Musashi and Kronstadt are going away very soon, never to return in case you don't have them.

Actually, they're technically not going away, they're just not going to be available other than getting them in a supercontainer. Some people pulled them via the santa crate lotto this year. They're joining the Missouri, Belfast and Mik Kut as ships that are technically still available but are exceedingly rare to get. 

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
355 posts
2,796 battles

Solid bote.  Just watch your broadsides when trying make use of your aft turrets.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,355 posts
15,843 battles
9 hours ago, _1204_ said:

You had best read up on the pro's and con's of Vanguard.  That thing actually has a raised citadel that is easy to crush.

The gun arcs are also horrible.  To basically fire all turrets, you are essentially showing full broadside.  Combine that with the exposed citadel, you are one of the most easy to delete ships in Tier VIII, much less in a high tier match with heavy hitting Tier IX-X Battleships.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[ARGSY]
Members
8,073 posts
5,494 battles
42 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

That thing actually has a raised citadel that is easy to crush.

IIRC it was lowered a lot in the final tweaks.

10 hours ago, Stand_Alone97 said:

I got a Kraken in the Monarch a short while ago, my first since protected matchmaking, so I will never, EVER hear a bad word said about this ship again.

You play her like a fifteen-inch-gunned cruiser, not a battleship. Her concealment, at least at the moment, is obscenely good. Relative to other battleships, it is likely to remain that way.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,355 posts
15,843 battles
20 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

IIRC it was lowered a lot in the final tweaks.

I got a Kraken in the Monarch a short while ago, my first since protected matchmaking, so I will never, EVER hear a bad word said about this ship again.

You play her like a fifteen-inch-gunned cruiser, not a battleship. Her concealment, at least at the moment, is obscenely good. Relative to other battleships, it is likely to remain that way.

Oh it was lowered.  Huh.  By how easy it is to citadel her, it seemed like it was taller :Smile_trollface:

[ARGSY]
Members
8,073 posts
5,494 battles
12 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

By how easy it is to citadel her, it seemed like it was taller

It's still above water IIRC, but how high it was before was just disgusting.

I skipped buying Vanguard because she wasn't what I hoped WG would make her, an ultra long range semi-OP gunnery monster. With two premium RN battleships in my fleet already (Warspite, Nelson), and with two in my fleet that have eight 15 inch guns (Warspite again, Queen Elizabeth), it didn't make any sense for me to pay for another that didn't bring something radically different to the table. I'm sure she's a great ship in the right hands; I simply concluded that she wasn't right for me and I'm not so much of a whale that I'm going to pick up a quite expensive ship solely for the name. Monarch is just fine as a Tier VIII battleship for me, and because I finished the 2nd Anniversary collection with coal crates I got a permacamo for her and didn't need to spend a cent on it.

[SIDE]
Members
1,764 posts
12 hours ago, Stand_Alone97 said:

Vanguard is great.

Liked the monarch. Guess the vanguard is the real deal then.