You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Capt_Ahab1776

HMS Dreadnought AA

9 comments in this topic

[PQUOD]
Members
1,062 posts
7,669 battles

I received the HMS Dreadnought not too long ago. Like all new ships they get their shake down cruise in Co-op, as well did the Dreadnought did with me. Was interesting, I did not have any BB's with this particular main battery arrangement so a little familiarization was expected and in order. No Co-op CV play was encountered so I didn't really think much about it.

Today while looking around my port I thought, hmm we'll try random. Low and behold, a CV match my Dreadnought was placed in I thought "Cool we'll see how this goes." I had a squad of dive bombers and torpedo bombers from a enemy Langley flying my way. I go to click on the closest one to focus on and.... Nothing lol. I was saying, "Whaaaa???" I tried again, same outcome. It was at that moment I had my "Oh crap, this is going to hurt." moment. After taking some dive bombs/fires followed by torpedos/flooding, I hit repair and sail away as fast as I can. We ended up losing the match and I go back to port to read what I just learned in the match. No AA.

I'm not selling the Dreadnought, I love the historical significance. However, she will probably be relegated to Co-op unless special missions are issued requiring her service in Random.

Anyone else learn this while in battle with the Dreadnought?  

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[ARMDA]
Members
320 posts
2,518 battles

But Dreadnought had AA guns historically; I don't see why Dreadnought in game shouldn't have some AA, especially when she can face planes at her tier. Same thing with her speed; she sails at 21 knots historically but 19 knots in game.

Wait... she had 18-inch torpedo tubes?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,471 posts
10,162 battles
2 minutes ago, destawaits said:

But Dreadnought had AA guns historically; I don't see why Dreadnought in game shouldn't have some AA, especially when she can face planes at her tier. Same thing with her speed; she sails at 21 knots historically but 19 knots in game.

Wait... she had 18-inch torpedo tubes?

There should be a little AA even if it is only a couple of MG's on either wing of the bridge but the torpedo tubes were fixed and under water and required the ship to slow to 5 knots or less.

[ARMDA]
Members
320 posts
2,518 battles
7 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

There should be a little AA even if it is only a couple of MG's on either wing of the bridge but the torpedo tubes were fixed and under water and required the ship to slow to 5 knots or less.

There were also QF 12 pounder 18 cwt guns for AA and defense against torpedo boats (just copying what I'm reading from wikipedia).

Edited by destawaits

[GWG]
[GWG]
17,471 posts
10,162 battles
13 minutes ago, destawaits said:

There were also QF 12 pounder 18 cwt guns for AA and defense against torpedo boats (just copying what I'm reading from wikipedia).

Yeah, I knew she had better AA than that but it seems we have the 1906 AA which was non-existent since the 12 pounders wouldn't have had high angle mounts then so just like the Arkansas Beta the AA consists of the cook throwing yesterdays biscuits. 

• Funny 1

Members
3,332 posts
1,475 battles

Tier 3 ships have really short ranged AA.

I believe I had 1 plane kill in my Bellerophon, and 2 in my Kawachi.  The planes basically have to fly directly over the top of the ship.

But in the wiki, the Naught has naught listed for AA defense.  Its kind of like clicking on planes in a stock Myogi.

[WOLFC]
Members
272 posts
16,267 battles
1 hour ago, destawaits said:

she sails at 21 knots historically but 19 knots in game

I don't know about your Dreadnought, but mine does 21 knots in game. She takes a while to reach that speed but she does get there.

I believe the speed was buffed shortly before release.

[ARMDA]
Members
320 posts
2,518 battles

I don't have Dreadnought. Her gameplay doesn't seem very enthusiastic.

[GWG]
[GWG]
17,471 posts
10,162 battles
52 minutes ago, destawaits said:

I don't have Dreadnought. Her gameplay doesn't seem very enthusiastic.

It is a ship you have in your port for its history much like the Mikasa.