metalefty

Won't update

20 comments in this topic

Members
6 posts
2,775 battles

Since early December WOWS won't update, it's been fine for the last 2 years, the update clock is running but no update percentage starts. Sometimes in Task Manager it says "not responding",  Also, I uninstalled and reinstalled the game but that didn't work. Thnx for any help.

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
184 posts
5,546 battles

Are you running the Game Center or the original Launcher?

If you uninstalled, make sure you delete the World_of_Warships folder (Found under C:\Games by default). Further, if you are running the game center, uninstall that was well, listed as Wargaming.net Game Center in Programs and Features and delete the Wargaming.net folder and all its contents which can be found in C:\ProgramData (this is a hidden folder so you can type it in directly or show Hidden items under View in Windows Explorer in Win10 or by going to File > Folder and View Options and Uncheck Hide hidden folders and files for Win7)

Members
6 posts
2,775 battles

I've again uninstalled WOWS per your instructions and now it won't install on either game center or original launcher.

Members
6 posts
2,775 battles
On 1/16/2019 at 4:56 AM, SnipeySnipes said:

Is it giving an error?

No, when it's time to update, it simply goes to the update window then the download timer starts but the percentage of download never appears. No error messages.

[VOP]
Members
365 posts
7,107 battles

Have you checked your Firewall exceptions? Maybe something is blocking the download? 

I am still running the original launcher and am still updating ok.

Also try running a file integrity check from the launcher. Perhaps a file got corrupted and needs to be re-downloaded.

Good luck. :Smile_honoring:

Members
6 posts
2,775 battles
11 hours ago, USMCGal said:

Have you checked your Firewall exceptions? Maybe something is blocking the download? 

I am still running the original launcher and am still updating ok.

Also try running a file integrity check from the launcher. Perhaps a file got corrupted and needs to be re-downloaded.

Good luck. :Smile_honoring:

"Check and repair game integrity" is not highlighted, so I couldn't use it. Firewall exceptions are fine.

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
184 posts
5,546 battles

A few more thoughts...Which browser did you use to download the original executable and what is the brand of your router? Maybe it's the built-in firewall in the router. The final though is your ISP. Since both the original launcher (to the last of my knowledge) and the Game Center utilize torrent protocols which some ISP's 'don't like'

Members
6 posts
2,775 battles
1 hour ago, SnipeySnipes said:

A few more thoughts...Which browser did you use to download the original executable and what is the brand of your router? Maybe it's the built-in firewall in the router. The final though is your ISP. Since both the original launcher (to the last of my knowledge) and the Game Center utilize torrent protocols which some ISP's 'don't like'

I don't remember the original browser, it was a couple of years ago, maybe Google, now it's DuckDuckGo. My old router was Readynet, just last week I changed to a Linksys router. I'm not very computer savvy so I would need help with the ISP. Also, the download window crashes often, it says not responding in the task manager.

Edited by metalefty

Members
1 post
145 battles

I have a slightly different problem..When I try to update I get the message:

'The data obtained from the update service is incorrect'

WOWS is allowed through my firewall.

Any help?

Beta Testers
44 posts
5,082 battles

My guess would be a corrupt registry. After uninstalling the OS still thinks it's installed or maybe the launcher isn't communicating with the update server to verify the installation. Can you download a registry cleaner and then manually go to Regedit and confirm all WGA is uninstalled as well as any WOT client you may have with the Gamecenter. If you see WGA stuff still on there, then maunally delete it and aslo make sure all the WGA folders are gone from the HD to verify that it doesn't leave any folders behind that contain the updates. It shouldn't but just verify.

You want a clean install of WGA products. Maybe even Partition you HD to test as though you were installing into a new computer. This is the course I would try. It does sound frustrating to deal with this issue. I hope you get it worked out. Good luck to you. Maybe even look up on the forums in the search about anyone who had the same issue in the past and solved it. 

Happy sailing!!!! 

[NSEW]
Members
715 posts
9,057 battles

No it's NOT the registry. I has to do with corrupted WOWSLauncher.cfg file.

I'm having the same problem. I got here by trying to edit that file to change to different region. But remembered that it didn't work, in the process getting stuck with an updated bad wowslauncher.cfg file.

If someone here can copy & paste theirs (its not a safety issue) his problem and mine could be resolved rather easily...

In particular this is the section that I've edited

<stats_service_url>http://wgusst-NA.wargaming.com</stats_service_url>
    <customer_support_service_url/>
    <patch_info_urls>
        <item>http://update.worldofwarships.com</item>
    </patch_info_urls>

...incorrectly to get the 

On 1/29/2019 at 4:36 PM, Majkol said:

'The data obtained from the update service is incorrect'

So if anyone could copy & paste their WOWSLauncher.cfg that would work.

[H_]
Members
339 posts
8,304 battles
On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 9:22 PM, metalefty said:

Firewall exceptions are fine

What are the exceptions that you have to put in for a/the firewalls?  I have win 10 and I have webroot and zero problems my brother has different security software and win 7 and he is hosed at the moment, SUPER SLOW download..  would not load the patch, etc.. fooled around trying to uninstall / reinstall completely  but not sure that ended up being clean..   it's a mess..  He's not super PC / software savy and this is beyond frustrating..

Suggestions? everything else on the PC  is fine for him, no internet issues, speed is ok.. etc. 

How intrusive is the integrity checker? not that I matters cause if he had to reload something it probably won't work.

PS: I think he submitted a ticket,  but .. support is well you know..

Edited by S16_Hunter
added content.

[VOP]
Members
365 posts
7,107 battles
21 hours ago, S16_Hunter said:

What are the exceptions that you have to put in for a/the firewalls? 

You need to go into control panel find the Windows Firewall item and select the option (on the left) that says "Allow an app/program through the firewall" it will be worded similarly on Win 7. From there you get a list of everything that has or does not have access to get through your PC firewall. Go to the Warships name and see what is there. I am still running Win 7 and do not have issues with the firewall on the pc blocking anything. I did have to fix this on my other Win 10 pc though.

From what I have heard from some others the slow downloading issues stems from, using the WGC. For some the extremely slow download speed is an issue with the War Gaming Client software in that it caps the download speed. I am not sure if that is adjustable or not. I am still using the original launcher.

Hope this helps! :Smile_honoring:

[H_]
Members
339 posts
8,304 battles
1 hour ago, USMCGal said:

You need to go into control panel find the Windows Firewall item and select the option (on the left) that says "Allow an app/program through the firewall" it will be worded similarly on Win 7. From there you get a list of everything that has or does not have access to get through your PC firewall. Go to the Warships name and see what is there. I am still running Win 7 and do not have issues with the firewall on the pc blocking anything. I did have to fix this on my other Win 10 pc though.

From what I have heard from some others the slow downloading issues stems from, using the WGC. For some the extremely slow download speed is an issue with the War Gaming Client software in that it caps the download speed. I am not sure if that is adjustable or not. I am still using the original launcher.

Hope this helps! :Smile_honoring:

Thank you.. at this point after downloading for something like 18 hours through the WGC with settings at MAX,  he lost power and it failed, then he could not shutdown his PC.  So as of now everything was de-installed / folders deleted etc.. recyle bin cleared etc..  and his PC is back to working at least.

He had trouble with the 7.12 patch and we had to de-install / re-install but that went pretty good, this patch was a TOTAL crap storm.  Whereas my PC running win 10 took about 5 minutes to do the patch.. so go figure.   And he runs security software and a separate Mal ware program. so..

Right now he's not even sure he will try to re download, can't afford to have his PC hosed right now.

Thank you again appreciate the response.  I rate WOWS support right up there with Comcast support.. :etc_swear:

[VOP]
Members
365 posts
7,107 battles
1 hour ago, S16_Hunter said:

Thank you.. at this point after downloading for something like 18 hours through the WGC with settings at MAX,  he lost power and it failed, then he could not shutdown his PC.  So as of now everything was de-installed / folders deleted etc.. recyle bin cleared etc..  and his PC is back to working at least.

He had trouble with the 7.12 patch and we had to de-install / re-install but that went pretty good, this patch was a TOTAL crap storm.  Whereas my PC running win 10 took about 5 minutes to do the patch.. so go figure.   And he runs security software and a separate Mal ware program. so..

Right now he's not even sure he will try to re download, can't afford to have his PC hosed right now.

Thank you again appreciate the response.  I rate WOWS support right up there with Comcast support.. :etc_swear:

You're welcome! Glad I could help at least.

Ouch! Man I am sorry to hear that, 18 hours wasted, that is just bad...If he is running an older pc and/or does not want to run the WGC here is the original launcher. WoWS_internet_install_na.zip

This would impact the other WG titles if he is playing tanks and such. This is strictly a WoWs installer and this installer allows you to pick the install location. Of course he would need to download the whole thing again but if he wants to he can save the file for later. Less overhead and less lag ware with this launcher. The downloads go quickly. It is not flashy but can do the job so you can spend more time playing the game!

But, we are being forced to the WGC eventually...so beware. If your friend has just started this game maybe he would consider using Steam with his current account (there is a work around for this in a you tube video that someone made) or make a new account directly on Steam to avoid the WGC download issue altogether. Best of luck to you both. :Smile_honoring: 

[H_]
Members
339 posts
8,304 battles

Appreciate it.. it's actually my older brother, I'll send him to this Thread and he can decide what he would like to do.