Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
bigbearbeear

For operations: Arizona or West Virginia 1941?

23 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

73
[WOLF5]
Members
349 posts
6,574 battles

I'm toying with the idea of getting a US Premium BB at tier 6 for running operations, which I enjoy a lot.  Interestingly, there are 2 premium BB at this tier for US.  Both are interesting ships, which do you think is better for running operations with?

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,037
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,457 posts
9,422 battles

I think neither are terribly good because they are slow, but if I had to pick one I'd say Arizona. You are mostly dealing with lower tier cruisers and BBs in ops, so the higher number of accurate AZ guns are more important than the overmatch that WV brings to the table.

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,349
[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,580 posts
20,117 battles
6 minutes ago, pikohan said:

I think neither are terribly good because they are slow, but if I had to pick one I'd say Arizona. You are mostly dealing with lower tier cruisers and BBs in ops, so the higher number of accurate AZ guns are more important than the overmatch that WV brings to the table.

Also: the Arizona has a good torpedo belt for her tier with 39% damage reduction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
334
[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,677 posts
10,526 battles

I don't have a WV41, but Arizona is good for one operation, ok at one, and bad at the other 2 she can get into.

She's good for Defense of Naval Station Newport, good armor, great guns, and you don't need to get anywhere.

Aegis, she's ok, you have to know exactly where you're going. The exit point is in the same place every time, and you can fight over the port side of the ship the whole game.

The Old Raptor Rescue was a lot like Aegis, the current version is worse for her. Combination of low speed and variable exit points is a bad idea.

Killer Whale is terrible for her. She lacks the mobility to be a raider.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24,402
[HINON]
Supertester
20,092 posts
13,547 battles
41 minutes ago, pikohan said:

I think neither are terribly good because they are slow, but if I had to pick one I'd say Arizona. You are mostly dealing with lower tier cruisers and BBs in ops, so the higher number of accurate AZ guns are more important than the overmatch that WV brings to the table.

^

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18
[ABCD3]
Members
132 posts
4,814 battles

I have no regrets getting Arizona.   It is a tug boat but can take some damage.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,731
[RLGN]
Members
9,408 posts
18,821 battles
38 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Killer Whale is terrible for her. She lacks the mobility to be a raider.

Used Warspite a lot last go around; great for long range zots. Working against the ankle biters is dependent on someone spotting them, which I why I hate running anything but a carrier in most Ops, because I don’t trust anyone else to spot effectively, (it does occasionally happen,) but that also sucks because then I can’t run a shooter...

Escaping in a barge means knowing when to leave, and I’ve done so often enough in both Warspite and New Mexico in Killer Whale.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57
[KAPPA]
Members
122 posts
5,084 battles

She's a Standard Battleship - if you know what you're getting into, I'll not mention speed - as it'd be the same issue that New Mexico would face as well.  She can't help that so many other T6 battleships have been given speed refits above and beyond what they were theoretical capable of OTL, so the US vessels seem abnormally slow *cough Normandie Bayern cough*

Regardless, the biggest issue is the sheer number of lower level foes you'll face, in which Arizona will tend to suit you better just because of greater number of shells that will hit and reduced penetration chance.  The overmatch of Weevee's guns could help in some cases, but the majority of vessels will be too low of a level to care.

Basically, what do you prefer in T6 in the stock battleships?  Do you like New Mexico and want a Premium version, or do you prefer something punchier?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
492
[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,753 posts
4,530 battles

Arizona is absolutely fine for all current T6 Operations. 

Sure, Raptor Rescue and Newport have some variability to them, but not so much that you'll find yourself out of the battle for the duration in either case.  Once you learn the routes, you know where to be at each decision point.

I rather doubt WV 41 will have any problem with them, either.  Sure, less guns, but more damage when you hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
334
[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,677 posts
10,526 battles
45 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Used Warspite a lot last go around; great for long range zots. Working against the ankle biters is dependent on someone spotting them, which I why I hate running anything but a carrier in most Ops, because I don’t trust anyone else to spot effectively, (it does occasionally happen,) but that also sucks because then I can’t run a shooter...

Escaping in a barge means knowing when to leave, and I’ve done so often enough in both Warspite and New Mexico in Killer Whale.

I know how it goes with not trusting CV duties to others, my Ryujo and Independence could probably run the ops on their own with all the times they've been through them. Running the PEF in Raptor Rescue was an education in how bad the teams can get.

With super-slow ships in operations, it's not impossible, I've done it a few times myself. it's just not easy, and it's not forgiving if you get out of position, you aren't fast enough to make up for it.

I miss the old days when my friends and I could make Kongo runs in Killer Whale, it was great outrunning the cruisers both into and out of the harbor, and killing the cargo ships with secondaries while we did it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
73
[WOLF5]
Members
349 posts
6,574 battles

How does the Arizona and West Virginia compare to the New Mexico?  Sounds like the speed is somewhat similar?  How about accuracy?

I've been running operations with the NM is it works pretty ok for me, I'm about to finish it and move on to Colorado but wants a T6 BB so I can pop a captain back and run it when I want to without penalty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
192
[-GDP-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,581 posts
1,064 battles

Slow BB are pretty bad in this operation, they can't react fast enough other than staying with Raptor all the way and hope red BB don't sink her.  Good thing I got the Dunkerque, she is prefect for this operation and a premium ship as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
444
[TDRB]
Members
1,839 posts
6,150 battles

I think either one would be fine. The key to American BB's in operations is position. I don't have either but I do use my New Mexico in T6 operations with good results. All 3, due to their speed, will play close to the same. The WV does hit harder but I've sunk many cruisers with a single salvo with my NM. My division mate does the same with his Arizona.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,962
[PVE]
Members
12,447 posts
8,478 battles
1 hour ago, bigbearbeear said:

I'm toying with the idea of getting a US Premium BB at tier 6 for running operations, which I enjoy a lot.  Interestingly, there are 2 premium BB at this tier for US.  Both are interesting ships, which do you think is better for running operations with?

 

Thanks.

I have Arizona, WV 1941 and New Mexico and all are fine for Ops.

1 hour ago, pikohan said:

I think neither are terribly good because they are slow, but if I had to pick one I'd say Arizona. You are mostly dealing with lower tier cruisers and BBs in ops, so the higher number of accurate AZ guns are more important than the overmatch that WV brings to the table.

As long as you stay at full speed, the US standards are fine in Ops once you know where you are going. I like New Mex and 'Zona a little more than WV 1941 as you have more guns and the shell difference is not as big a deal.

 

1 hour ago, SgtBeltfed said:

I don't have a WV41, but Arizona is good for one operation, ok at one, and bad at the other 2 she can get into.

She's good for Defense of Naval Station Newport, good armor, great guns, and you don't need to get anywhere.

Aegis, she's ok, you have to know exactly where you're going. The exit point is in the same place every time, and you can fight over the port side of the ship the whole game.

The Old Raptor Rescue was a lot like Aegis, the current version is worse for her. Combination of low speed and variable exit points is a bad idea.

Killer Whale is terrible for her. She lacks the mobility to be a raider.

 

I have no problem running Raptor in any of the US Standards. You need to stay closer to the CV than in a faster BB, but that is not a problem for finding the bots. The US Standards are fine in Killer Whale, you just want to note the exit cap when it appears and head that way then.

 

55 minutes ago, red_crested_ibis said:

She's a Standard Battleship - if you know what you're getting into, I'll not mention speed - as it'd be the same issue that New Mexico would face as well.  She can't help that so many other T6 battleships have been given speed refits above and beyond what they were theoretical capable of OTL, so the US vessels seem abnormally slow *cough Normandie Bayern cough*

Regardless, the biggest issue is the sheer number of lower level foes you'll face, in which Arizona will tend to suit you better just because of greater number of shells that will hit and reduced penetration chance.  The overmatch of Weevee's guns could help in some cases, but the majority of vessels will be too low of a level to care.

Basically, what do you prefer in T6 in the stock battleships?  Do you like New Mexico and want a Premium version, or do you prefer something punchier?

 

I like the 12 guns on NM and AZ, especially when I have HE loaded to shoot DDs.

 

54 minutes ago, Fishrokk said:

Arizona is absolutely fine for all current T6 Operations. 

Sure, Raptor Rescue and Newport have some variability to them, but not so much that you'll find yourself out of the battle for the duration in either case.  Once you learn the routes, you know where to be at each decision point.

I rather doubt WV 41 will have any problem with them, either.  Sure, less guns, but more damage when you hit.

I agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
303
[NUWES]
Members
1,932 posts
6,308 battles
2 hours ago, pikohan said:

I think neither are terribly good because they are slow, but if I had to pick one I'd say Arizona. You are mostly dealing with lower tier cruisers and BBs in ops, so the higher number of accurate AZ guns are more important than the overmatch that WV brings to the table.

^This.

Standards are manageable but you really must never slow down or several scenarios will have you falling too far behind. Arizona with its higher number of guns is the better choice IMHO for exactly the reason you stated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,731
[RLGN]
Members
9,408 posts
18,821 battles
1 hour ago, SgtBeltfed said:

With super-slow ships in operations, it's not impossible, I've done it a few times myself. it's just not easy, and it's not forgiving if you get out of position, you aren't fast enough to make up for it.

That my friend, is when it’s time to go all THUNDERCHILD! on the bots. Particularly appropriate in Warspite or Queen Elizabeth.

 

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,225
[SYN]
Members
14,856 posts
11,307 battles

For Operations, I think you are better off with a dedicated captain on Fuso.

The main problem with Operations is that all the bot cruisers fire IFHE which absolutely craps on BBs without a 35mm deck.

Fuso has a thick deck and many turrets, which allows it to tank that HE way better than any of the other T6s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,089
[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,926 posts
10,485 battles

Neither, get a warspite

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
73
[WOLF5]
Members
349 posts
6,574 battles
31 minutes ago, Komrade_Rylo said:

Neither, get a warspite

Thanks, already have one.  :)

Just toying with the idea of a US battleship for operations in Tier 6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,089
[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,926 posts
10,485 battles
6 minutes ago, bigbearbeear said:

Thanks, already have one.  :)

Just toying with the idea of a US battleship for operations in Tier 6.

 

Then don't waste your money on Arizona or wv. Just my 2 cents

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,357
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,347 posts
15,832 battles
11 hours ago, pikohan said:

I think neither are terribly good because they are slow, but if I had to pick one I'd say Arizona. You are mostly dealing with lower tier cruisers and BBs in ops, so the higher number of accurate AZ guns are more important than the overmatch that WV brings to the table.

This 100%.  Both are too slow, make a wrong maneuver and you're lagging behind struggling to get up front.  Raptor Rescue is a very good example of that.

 

The gunnery of Arizona is superior in Operations because of the 12 guns she has.  356mm is powerful for Operations purposes.  You'll also be seeing tons of Cruisers and Destroyers, so the 356mm x12 is far more useful in Ops.  Not only that, WV'41's massive 406mm AP will in all likeliness Overpen the scrawny Cruisers she sees.  But 356mm is just *PERFECT* for smashing Cruisers and getting more hits on Destroyers.  It will still be more than enough facing the Bot BBs.

 

IMO, at this moment, Normandie is hard to beat for Ops.  340mm x12, so you got mass of shellfire going for you.  You are also ridiculously fast.  She has a Secondary Battery that rivals Ze Germans this tier.  Since there's no more CVs, the atrocious AA she has isn't a detractor for Ops.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,789
[ARGSY]
Members
8,069 posts
5,480 battles
8 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

That my friend, is when it’s time to go all THUNDERCHILD! on the bots.

Do you see the pre-dreadnought in the still picture? What does she look like, that we already have in game? (There is a reason for that.)

Come on, WG - Mikasas rebadged as British Majestic-class PD-BB's vs. Martian Fighting Machines for Halloween - you know you want to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
429
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
948 posts
4,442 battles
8 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

That my friend, is when it’s time to go all THUNDERCHILD! on the bots. Particularly appropriate in Warspite or Queen Elizabeth.

 

@Estimated_Prophet

You, sir, are a man among men!  :Smile_medal:   

I loved this album when I was younger (much younger).  I had completely forgotten about it!

Thanks so much for reminding me.  It was just fantastic!  I now have to go buy it.  :Smile_smile:

@bigbearbeear Arizona has more guns and better torp protection.  WV's overmatch is less important in ops.  As was mentioned earlier, she may even have an overpen problem against the flimsy stuff you tend to find in ops.

That is, of course, if you are dead set on a US ship.  If not, I would seriously consider HMS Warspite as an alternate choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×