You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TL_Warlord_Roff

Something fun to consider.

9 comments in this topic

[HEROS]
Members
1,498 posts
12,737 battles

There are some fascinating ships that currently have very little in the way of "where to put them" especially in the pre-dreadnought and early dreadnaught era's.

I'd like to see the training gun boats relegated to tier "0" and tier I, II, III, and IV restructured to make a place for early early ships.   

Play at the lowest tiers is all about guts and gunnery.  There's little or no aircraft.  Most torpedo's are not so good.  The typical pre-dreadnought era ship that packed torpedo's typically had a range of not greater then 2000 yards/meters.   

I personally really enjoy lower tier play because its very simple and strait forward.  It's where players should be learning the fine art of mutual support, teamwork, and finding where they need to go to decide the fight.  A rework of the lower tiers could result in an over all improvement of new players skill development in the game. 

Great place to have inexpensive premiums left right and center, and a variety of ships and capabilities that has to be seen to be believed.  Low tier does not mean low skill.

If anything it just means less window dressing and options which means it more about strait up BASIC player skills.  And of course if you all ready have those basic skills then it just all about the fun factor.   Some of the best fun I've had in this game is down in LOW tier play with very highly skilled players all running about with 19 point commanders on their tier IV and below ships.   

Anyway, that's it..     That and I have it on good report that there's a whole bucket load and possibly then some of early and pre dread ships in various stages of completion done by the artists there in St. Pete that we have never seen.   Those early ships had character by the "Boat" load and no small number of one off unique ships due to the fact that naval technology was moving at an accelerated pace where ships would literally be obsolete at launch yet would still serve for years anyway.  

It obvious the dev team loves what they do.  I'd like to see them have an opportunity fairly soon to not have to worry about mid and high tier mechanics of play (CV rework etc)

and just do something fun for the love of it.  And the history and development of those earlier ships is historically important.   Always remember that warships were THE s high tech of that era.   It was their rocket science.

Warlord sends

• Cool 5

[SAVAG]
[SAVAG]
Members
321 posts

If WG did that I'd go for it. Plenty of early ships out there that were in essence the greatest military powers . Plenty of ships that need to be remembered. ( +100). You got my vote.

Cheers. <o,

[ARMDA]
Members
320 posts
2,518 battles

That seems like a lot of work, and it's probably not going to be on WG's priority list. Nevertheless, it seems like a worthwhile change.

[HEROS]
Members
1,498 posts
12,737 battles

Is and isn't work..  *grin* As I said  strong impression that there might be quite a bit done, or that could be finished.  The dev folk really love what they do. And the 3D model makers and riggers really have fun pursuing their artistry.  Promise you there is stuff that are hobby projects for the crew in various stages of completed perfection!  Many ships of the pre era have very alike weaponry but with significant differences in the layout of the ships them selves, even the way the ships were put together.  Some truly utterly amazingly ugly french battleships during the period, and a number of amazingly weird idea's that were tried.  Some worked,, Most never really faced the test of combat as other advances rendered the the threat they were build to counter moot.  It was the age of gunboat..and battleship diplomacy before advances in technology made it a much more expensive proposition.   

Note we have quite a few tier II, III, and IV premiums nows.. typically representing historically significant ships with amazing stories.  At tiers II, III,  we have a number of ships that were veterans of the Russo Japanese war.  There were huge fleets and strong naval powers all over the world that the introduction of the HMS Dreadnought rendered entirely obsolete.   All then modern navies were effected.  Only the most wealthy industrialized and productive nations were in any position to modernize..  The United States literally built a brand new navy with ships and classes that complimented each other.   We didn't even get cruisers properly figured out until the mid 1930's (fortunately, neither really did anyone else and everyone had their own take on what they wanted in a light capital ship capable of long range patrolling/peacekeeping while dealing with try to respect, or not, various naval treaty restrictions.)

From a naval historical viewpoint it's just one of those things.   

[HINON]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
2,560 posts
4,805 battles
2 hours ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

Is and isn't work..  *grin* As I said  strong impression that there might be quite a bit done, or that could be finished.  The dev folk really love what they do. And the 3D model makers and riggers really have fun pursuing their artistry.  Promise you there is stuff that are hobby projects for the crew in various stages of completed perfection!  Many ships of the pre era have very alike weaponry but with significant differences in the layout of the ships them selves, even the way the ships were put together.  Some truly utterly amazingly ugly french battleships during the period, and a number of amazingly weird idea's that were tried.  Some worked,, Most never really faced the test of combat as other advances rendered the the threat they were build to counter moot.  It was the age of gunboat..and battleship diplomacy before advances in technology made it a much more expensive proposition.   

Note we have quite a few tier II, III, and IV premiums nows.. typically representing historically significant ships with amazing stories.  At tiers II, III,  we have a number of ships that were veterans of the Russo Japanese war.  There were huge fleets and strong naval powers all over the world that the introduction of the HMS Dreadnought rendered entirely obsolete.   All then modern navies were effected.  Only the most wealthy industrialized and productive nations were in any position to modernize..  The United States literally built a brand new navy with ships and classes that complimented each other.   We didn't even get cruisers properly figured out until the mid 1930's (fortunately, neither really did anyone else and everyone had their own take on what they wanted in a light capital ship capable of long range patrolling/peacekeeping while dealing with try to respect, or not, various naval treaty restrictions.)

From a naval historical viewpoint it's just one of those things.   

Have always said that for me, I would love 2 games..   one based on pre-dreads from tiers 1 through 10 where the t10's are ships like Dreadnought and we get the full range of ships and experimental ships that were around in those times, and a second game which started at the current T4 and was enlarged to go to t10 with yamato etc.

Yes, I know, player pops etc etc and yes I know it wont happen, but to me the fun times of the pre-ww1 through to early ww1 ships would be an awesome game in it's own right.. and of course for some it would answer their dreams of no carriers :)

[ARGSY]
Members
8,038 posts
5,474 battles

There are several generations of pre-dreadnoughts, beginning at the close of the muzzle-loading era and progressing through to the early 1900s.  The Italians had some of the biggest and weirdest. Two central twin turrets firing cross-deck for broadsides, 17.7 inch guns, and huge hulls making them the Yamatos of their day. Both ends are unarmoured; all the armour is in the central citadel around the turrets and engines. Farm hits for days.

If you are going to bring on World of Pre-Dreadnoughts, the secondaries need a MAJOR range buff to the point where they are the equal of the primary guns of the same size on cruisers and destroyers.

Beta Testers
161 posts
86 battles

Bringing in those pre-dreadnought ships is going to be very difficult to balance properly, methinks. Lots of them didn't have unified caliber guns, which either means a boatload of secondaries and one or two main gun turrets, or they'll have to give us some form of manual secondary control. 

That being said though, a heavy secondary focus could be interesting for the low tiers. A bit chaotic, but since marksmanship is kinda unnecessary, there's less of a barrier to entry for newer players. It will make them work on their maneuvering and close quarters combat, which is an advantage for some of the later lines. Plus, understanding ranges will be very important to avoid enemy torpedoes (Weak and low in number as they may be) while maximizing their own firepower. 

Edited by Aegis270

[XG]
Members
148 posts
3,029 battles
14 hours ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

There are some fascinating ships that currently have very little in the way of "where to put them" especially in the pre-dreadnought and early dreadnaught era's.

I'd like to see the training gun boats relegated to tier "0" and tier I, II, III, and IV restructured to make a place for early early ships.   

Play at the lowest tiers is all about guts and gunnery.  There's little or no aircraft.  Most torpedo's are not so good.  The typical pre-dreadnought era ship that packed torpedo's typically had a range of not greater then 2000 yards/meters.   

I personally really enjoy lower tier play because its very simple and strait forward.  It's where players should be learning the fine art of mutual support, teamwork, and finding where they need to go to decide the fight.  A rework of the lower tiers could result in an over all improvement of new players skill development in the game. 

Great place to have inexpensive premiums left right and center, and a variety of ships and capabilities that has to be seen to be believed.  Low tier does not mean low skill.

If anything it just means less window dressing and options which means it more about strait up BASIC player skills.  And of course if you all ready have those basic skills then it just all about the fun factor.   Some of the best fun I've had in this game is down in LOW tier play with very highly skilled players all running about with 19 point commanders on their tier IV and below ships.   

Anyway, that's it..     That and I have it on good report that there's a whole bucket load and possibly then some of early and pre dread ships in various stages of completion done by the artists there in St. Pete that we have never seen.   Those early ships had character by the "Boat" load and no small number of one off unique ships due to the fact that naval technology was moving at an accelerated pace where ships would literally be obsolete at launch yet would still serve for years anyway.  

It obvious the dev team loves what they do.  I'd like to see them have an opportunity fairly soon to not have to worry about mid and high tier mechanics of play (CV rework etc)

and just do something fun for the love of it.  And the history and development of those earlier ships is historically important.   Always remember that warships were THE s high tech of that era.   It was their rocket science.

Warlord sends

Concur. Forwarded with endorsement.

I'd love for Mikasa to have some play mates, perhaps Retvizan, Pommern, Connecticut, King Edward VII and the like.