Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ace6steel

Reccomended USN CL/CA builds?

21 comments in this topic

[SPTR]
Members
2,265 posts
2,294 battles

As the title says above what are the most used/effective USN CL/CA captain builds, and/or which ones are the most recommended?

I recently got to T6 Dallas with a 6-point captain with PT, EM, and AR.

Then put a 10pt captain i earned from an operation into my T6 Pepsi with PT, EM, BFT, AFT

currently looking to redistribute points since i have the doubloons on me.

So would i keep building off of what i have? or should i redistribute and get the correct build?

Edit: this is on my alt account

Edited by Ace6steel

[FAE]
Members
2,312 posts
2,881 battles

Oooh, I need for DM and Worc too. 

The core of the build is the same: PT, EM, DE, CE (10). The CLs must add IFHE (14). After that I dunno. 

Guessing, DM?: PT, EM, SI, CE, AR, DE?, 4 points left. RL? Or AFT? 
Worc?:  PT, LS, DE, CE, IFHE, AR, SI?  
(other people use Joat for Worc)

Actually is DE needed? I think SI might be more useful first. Though I will not deny, I like having DE for more fires even only with a few hit shells. 

Edited by BlailBlerg

[FAE]
Members
2,312 posts
2,881 battles

Also what mod? Accuracy or AA range? 

[SPTR]
Members
2,265 posts
2,294 battles
4 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

Oooh, I need for DM and Worc too. 

The core of the build is the same: PT, EM, DE, CE (10). The CLs must add IFHE (14). After that I dunno. 

Guessing, DM?: PT, EM, DE, CE, AR, SI, 4 points left. RL? Or AFT? 
Worc?:  PT, EM, DE, CE, IFHE, AR, SI? 

Actually is DE needed? I think SI might be more useful first. Though I will not deny, I like having DE for more fires even only with a few hit shells. 

think i'll go ahead and edit my pepsi build for the core skills

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
3,536 posts

You're going to want IFHE , Demolitions expert, and concealment expert on your CL's.   Especially the high tier ones, if you want to A)  do any damage other than fires on anything approaching a consistant basis using HE.  and B) have a better chance to survive long enough to DO some damage. 

With CA's it's a bit more flexible- IFHE is not worth the 4 points for 8" guns.  I mainly build for AA; Survivability; and gun handling.   Superintendant comes in very handy on Buffalo, Des Moines, and Salem, as it allows you an extra heal.  You might get more mileage out of Concealment Expert as your 1st 4 point skill on Pensa, though- that ship NEEDS it.

I have both Des Moines and Salem, so I set up DM as the AA monster; and Salem as the flamethrower.   I end up using AP most of the time, because it's so good on this line of CA's.

[SPTR]
Members
2,265 posts
2,294 battles
1 minute ago, BlailBlerg said:

Also what mod? Accuracy or AA range? 

i don't give a crap about planes so im gonna go for accuracy if possible

[FAE]
Members
2,312 posts
2,881 battles
1 minute ago, Ace6steel said:

I'm very sure CE is required as 10th point. Less sure about DE, you can replace with SI if you feel that's better.  I think BFT isn't right though. 

[SPTR]
Members
2,265 posts
2,294 battles
1 minute ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

You're going to want IFHE , Demolitions expert, and concealment expert on your CL's.   Especially the high tier ones, if you want to A)  do any damage other than fires on anything approaching a consistant basis using HE.  and B) have a better chance to survive long enough to DO some damage. 

With CA's it's a bit more flexible- IFHE is not worth the 4 points for 8" guns.  I mainly build for AA; Survivability; and gun handling.   Superintendant comes in very handy on Buffalo, Des Moines, and Salem, as it allows you an extra heal.  You might get more mileage out of Concealment Expert as your 1st 4 point skill on Pensa, though- that ship NEEDS it.

I have both Des Moines and Salem, so I set up DM as the AA monster; and Salem as the flamethrower.   I end up using AP most of the time, because it's so good on this line of CA's.

going to agree on the CE since WASD Hax just aren't gonna cut it in pensa

thx

[FAE]
Members
2,312 posts
2,881 battles
2 minutes ago, Ace6steel said:

Hey This is important: I found that Dallas really needed CE first. But Helena and Cleveland really needs IFHE first. Therefore, I really recommend actually IFHE as 10th, and CE as 14th

[SPTR]
Members
2,265 posts
2,294 battles

I'm very sure CE is required as 10th point. Less sure about DE, you can replace with SI if you feel that's better.  I think BFT isn't right though. 

i have the doubloons and don't have much to change on dallas so all i need to fix is one build thankfully

[SPTR]
Members
2,265 posts
2,294 battles

Hey This is important: I found that Dallas really needed CE first. But Helena and Cleveland really needs IFHE first. Therefore, I really recommend actually IFHE as 10th, and CE as 14th

i don't find dallas to need CE too much since you'll usually be kiting at 14~km

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,306 posts
15,805 battles

USN Cruisers are pretty straight forward, they lean heavily towards AA, especially as you progress up the tiers.  When the CV Rework hits, your AA is part of a thin line of air defense in the game.  But with the current system of WoWS:

14pts USN CA - The beauty with CAs is that they need less points to get running decently.  Even with 10pts, you can get CE for a Stealth Build and your gun power will not be affected the way CLs would.

PT

AR

SI - SI for more consumables, especially from VIII+ for Radar charges and IX-X when you access Repair Party.  Not to mention extra Hydro / Defensive Fire charges.  

AFT & CE - Max out your AA range and still implement a Stealth Build.

The last 5pts from 19pt captain?  BFT & JoAT.  But for Salem and DM an alternative is PM & EL.  Being able to quickly shift from HE -> AP and back with DM / Salem is highly useful in punishing people.

14pts USN CL - Very expensive because CL guns demand IFHE as you climb the tiers, and these ships have other needs like Stealth and AA.

PT

AR

SI - Consumables in High Tier are a big deal for them, considering the very wide access they have.

IFHE & CE - IFHE is needed for more consistent HE penetrations, otherwise you will get a lot of Non-Pens.  CE is also greatly needed because USN CLs are pretty decent in Stealth Builds.

The last 5pts from a 19pt captain?  AFT & PM

I stress this is with the current, Live version of WoWS.  The CV Revamp may very well change things up in USN Cruiser and AA Builds.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SPTR]
Members
2,265 posts
2,294 battles
3 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

gonna also grab DE so it will compensate for the IFHE fire loss

[SPTR]
Members
2,265 posts
2,294 battles
2 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

USN Cruisers are pretty straight forward, they lean heavily towards AA, especially as you progress up the tiers.  When the CV Rework hits, your AA is part of a thin line of air defense in the game.  But with the current system of WoWS:

14pts USN CA

PT

AR

SI - SI for more consumables, especially from VIII+ for Radar charges and IX-X when you access Repair Party.  Not to mention extra Hydro / Defensive Fire charges.  

AFT & CE

The last 5pts from 19pt captain?  BFT & JoAT.  But for Salem and DM an alternative is PM & EL.  Being able to quickly shift from HE -> AP and back with DM / Salem is highly useful in punishing people.

14pts USN CL - Very expensive because CL guns demand IFHE as you climb the tiers, and these ships have other needs like Stealth and AA.

PT

AR

SI

IFHE & CE

The last 5pts from a 19pt captain?  AFT & PM

thanks all of you

ill take note of this and use the useful info provided to build my CL/CA on my alt acc.

[HYDRO]
Members
2,236 posts
4,191 battles

Wait for the patch. There will be a free Commander skill reset, you can save a bit from that.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,791 posts
2,493 battles

CL and CA are two different builds.

CL: PT and AR, no need for EM. I'm still split on DE or SI. For my Helena I have DE because more fires and not too many consumables. For the highers tiers, especially with the heal, I have SI. But it's really up to you.

10 points, I'd run CE first. You really need IFHE and CE, and it's a flip which one to take first. But IMO CE is more valuable, get IFHE ASAP though for Dallas on up, they don't really perform until you have IFHE, then they're monsters. After 14 it's up to you. I personally have gone AFT, though that may change with the CV rework, and then PM for the final point. I could see not going full AA and getting the either SI or DE, whatever you skipped before, and then filling up with low point skills.

CA is easier. PT, EM, SI, CE, and AFT. Come back for DE and AR. I have to have quick turning turrets that keep up with the ship, so EM is a must. If that doesn't bother you, then AR for sure the first go round. Again, you can do something else instead of AFT, but IMO there's no reason not to take AFT since you have the room. DE doesn't work so well until Des Moines, then you're a terror.

Modules, don't go range, you (or at least I) have enough trouble at 15km with the shell arcs, 18km is useless. On the Des Moines, the reload mod made the guns rotate too slow for my taste, so I went with the AA one because nothing better. I did run the reload mod on Buffalo, really helps that long reload. Last note, IMO both EM and the turret rotation mod are required for the Pensacola, those turrets are glacial, and unless you want to drive around broadside to keep the guns on target (might as well have a flashing neon CIT ME sign), you're going to want them both. Even then the rotation is painful, but at least workable. The Pepsi isn't quite as bad as it was originally, but it's not as good tier for tier as it was post buff. I think buffing the turret traverse would be just fine. Wouldn't make it too strong, just more comfortable, and a bit easier, to play.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,791 posts
2,493 battles
16 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

I have to disagree on Cleveland. That thing is so fragile in T10 that CE is required to even be able to get in range, especially with all the stealth ship at those tiers. Helena you could get away without it, and yeah, Dallas needs to be able to hide. Basically T6+ USN CLs require 14pt captains to be viable, because you really need both.

Members
42 posts
3,176 battles
44 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

Same here. 

1. PT
  2. AR
  3. DM vs. SI.  I went SI first,  not for dallas, but for Cleveland and above.  If you don't mind respeccing every few levels, DM is more useful (first) until you get to cleveland.
  4. I definitely also recommend IFHE and CE for your 10th and 14th points, though there is flex on which first.  I was very happy choosing IFHE first.

Also note, I didn't spec AA at all, which may be an issue in a couple weeks, though it hasn't been an issue so far.

Abbye

• Cool 1

Members
251 posts
16,765 battles

Heavy Cruisers:

PT -> AR -> SI -> CE -> DE -> EM -> SE

Light Cruisers:

PT -> AR -> DE -> CE -> IFHE -> SI -> JoAT

[O_O]
Members
1,039 posts
7,195 battles

USN CL/CA builds are easy....

Best thing about them are their guns and AAs...any where along the line that would improve any one of those things is the direction you should be headed. 

However, it will depend upon the ship itself also. My Atlanta Build differs from my Cleveland.  for me the build are the same for the all ships above Cleveland.  

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,784 posts
12,155 battles
1 hour ago, Ace6steel said:

gonna also grab DE so it will compensate for the IFHE fire loss

I personally wouldn't touch DE.  You're only get ~1 more fire per 50 hits that you would without it.

Sign in to follow this