You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ace6steel

Reccomended USN CL/CA builds?

3 comments in this topic

[SPTR]
Members
2,265 posts
2,294 battles

As the title says above what are the most used/effective USN CL/CA captain builds, and/or which ones are the most recommended?

I recently got to T6 Dallas with a 6-point captain with PT, EM, and AR.

Then put a 10pt captain i earned from an operation into my T6 Pepsi with PT, EM, BFT, AFT

currently looking to redistribute points since i have the doubloons on me.

So would i keep building off of what i have? or should i redistribute and get the correct build?

[SDIWO]
Members
1 post
3,856 battles

Definitely worth looking into redoing your captain builds. Unless you are a whale and have a ton of dubloons lying around all the time you want to start building for the future ships in the line. 

For me, the two most important things are concealment and damage output. Looking at your Dallas, tier 1 is preference based. I tend to run PT as well so I know when to stop engaging and break off. For most us cruisers I feel like EM is a waste. The turrets turn plenty fast that as long as you are aware of your map positioning you can get your guns where they need to go. I have been bit on adrenaline rush so definitely recommend that for tier 2. If you give up EM on your Dallas, with a 6 point captain, you should now have enough for a tier 3 skill, and I would highly recommend demolition expert. Most of your damage at mid tiers is going to be from setting fires, especially with the smaller guns on the CL line. More fires=more damage, from both you and your team. You get a double fire and they put it out? let your team know and you all can spam perma fires together and burn them down. 

Your next two skills that you absolutely must get for the Dallas line on up are concealment expert and ifhe. It's debatable which one to get first. If you find yourself really good at positioning and staying undetected, I would go ifhe first and watch your damage output skyrocket. If you tend to find yourself in the open and needing to disengage often, then I would do CE first. You don't have to be as far away from enemies to disappear after you stop firing which can be the difference between life and death. Another note, if you find yourself moving up tiers faster than your captain is upgrading, I would lean toward IFHE first or you really won't be able to do damage as you start getting uptiered. But those are definitely the next two skills you need for CLs.

For you CA line, any reason you went BFT/AFT? Were you going specifically for aa build? Only change I can recommend here is dropping em for ar again, and then looking at de for tier 3. But at this point if you are wanting the aa build, I would say leave this one alone until the cv rework comes through and see how everything shakes out. 

They are both great ship lines. I just got my Des Moines and am absolutely loving it so far! Hope this helps :) 

[PVE]
Members
12,411 posts
8,469 battles
On 1/14/2019 at 5:00 PM, Ace6steel said:

As the title says above what are the most used/effective USN CL/CA captain builds, and/or which ones are the most recommended?

I recently got to T6 Dallas with a 6-point captain with PT, EM, and AR.

Then put a 10pt captain i earned from an operation into my T6 Pepsi with PT, EM, BFT, AFT

currently looking to redistribute points since i have the doubloons on me.

So would i keep building off of what i have? or should i redistribute and get the correct build?

First off, update 8.0 is very likely to have a Free Cmdr respec, so I would save doubloons for now. Update 8.0 is scheduled for Jan 30th right now.

Second, for DDs and Cruisers, definitely take one of each skill level, so that you can get CE on the 10th point. Yes, CE is changing to be -10% across the board, but CE will still be important for DDs and cruisers.

For US CLs, I tend to use PT, LS, DE, CE for the first 10pts. As you get into RADAR and Heals, I'll use SI instead of DE.

For US CAs, I will use PT, EM/AR, DE/SI, CE. Ships like Penscola need EM and those with fast enough turrets get AR. DE/SI is the same as CLs. BFT can go on AA spec cruisers, but with the AA rework, I may change that up.

If you are going to keep the Pensacola, you might want to spend doubloons in the Arsenal to get John/George Doe for P'cola. The extra EM bonus and the traverse module in slot 3 can get your 180 degree traverse down to 32.1 sec from 45 sec.