You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Bill_Halsey

Sorry, you're not allowed to take IFHE as a CO skill. Eh?

43 comments in this topic

[TOG]
Members
3,024 posts
16,250 battles

I was looking at my CO skills for the Zao when I noted this:

Spoiler

shot-19_01.14_12_45.34-0699.thumb.jpg.250262a15d940afab3fac9eed76fb69e.jpg

My first thought that I don't have enough points. So what if I re spec the CO skills to include IFHE:

shot-19_01.14_12_53.51-0802.thumb.jpg.1d0c7f1a818d7509fe8a140ebe06aabd.jpg

Sorry Dave, no can do.  So checked the DM. Same thing.

shot-19_01.14_13_06.12-0909.thumb.jpg.8071f1231a619b4a0080f88207b7e984.jpg

I did a random spot check and it seemed that IFHE is blocked off at T8-T10. It's still available at lower tiers. I did find that the maximum HE penetration for the Zao is now 33 mm. It'll penetrate the bow and stern but not 50 mm deck plating, even with IFHE. So did the devs decide to bake IFHE in T8 and above in the last patch? Only thing that makes sense.

Edited by Bill_Halsey
  • Boring 1

[PLPT]
Members
204 posts
9,492 battles

As far as I know you can still train it, it's just not a recommended skill, and offers little to no benefit.

• Cool 2

[ZR]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
5,512 posts
5,345 battles

The prohibition sign over the IFHE skill does not prevent you from taking the skill - it's just an indicator that it's not wise / highly recommended to take. In which case it's correct for DM and Zao - why on earth would you want to?

• Cool 3

[1STBG]
Members
1,159 posts
4,904 battles

Yes it's just a warming that it's not recommended. You can still take it, but it would be completely pointless on the Zao. The 155mm Mogami is the only IJN cruiser T5+ that benefits from IFHE. 

[ARGSY]
Members
8,073 posts
5,494 battles

Did it actually STOP you, or did it just give you a warning? 

Massachusetts and KM BB drivers face the same problem, but the main armament isn't why they're taking it.

• Cool 1

[KSE]
Members
7,729 posts
8,072 battles

You aren't prevented from taking any skill you want to take. For instance, on Mass, IFHE is blocked off, because normally for a BB, it's iffy at best. For Mass, though, IFHE is virtually a requirement.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF1]
Members
3,812 posts
1,529 battles
2 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

Yes it's just a warming that it's not recommended. You can still take it, but it would be completely pointless on the Zao. The 155mm Mogami is the only IJN cruiser T5+ that benefits from IFHE. 

Yeah, that's generally not efficient to use IFHE on 8" cruisers...

[TOG]
Members
3,024 posts
16,250 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Did it actually STOP you, or did it just give you a warning? 

Massachusetts and KM BB drivers face the same problem, but the main armament isn't why they're taking it.

500 doubloons later

Huh, it allowed me to.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
4,905 posts
11,818 battles

As other pointed out, that isn't a block that prevents you from training the skill, only an indication that the skill on that ship is not recommended.

You can still train IFHE on the Zao, but it would be a complete waste of skill points.  The caliber of the Zao's guns are such that it renders any benefit of IFHE irrelevant (and her secondaries aren't worth spending for upgrades).

Edited by Kuckoo

[ARGSY]
Members
8,073 posts
5,494 battles
2 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

500 doubloons later

File a ticket.

• Bad 1

[TOG]
Members
3,024 posts
16,250 battles
1 minute ago, Kuckoo said:

As other pointed out, that isn't a block that prevents you from training the skill, only an indication that the skill on that ship is not recommended.

You can still train IFHE on the Zao, but it would be a complete waste of skill points.  The caliber of the Zao's guns are such that it renders any benefit of IFHE irrelevant.

Yeah, you can already pen the bow and stern easily.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
9,328 posts
15,768 battles
22 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

For instance, on Mass, IFHE is blocked off, because normally for a BB, it's iffy at best. For Mass, though, IFHE is virtually a requirement.

I"M SO CONFUSED!!

• Bad 1

[GODS]
Members
281 posts
9,842 battles

The only high tier cruiser that has guns larger that 203s that IFHE would make sense in some cases would be the Henry.  Other than that its basically what everyone else has said

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,489 posts
10,183 battles
21 minutes ago, Personator said:

The prohibition sign over the IFHE skill does not prevent you from taking the skill - it's just an indicator that it's not wise / highly recommended to take. In which case it's correct for DM and Zao - why on earth would you want to?

19 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

The warning is based on the main guns but for some ships with large caliber guns it is still very useful for the secondary guns. It is pretty much useless for the heavy cruisers with their 8" guns and short ranged secondaries but is pretty much a must take for the light cruisers and DD's with their 6" and 3/4/5" main guns respectively.

[WORX]
Members
2,562 posts
13,923 battles

It doesn't mean you can't take but if you do (at least for the ZAO) its  wasted 4 cpt pts.

• Cool 1

[YORHA]
Members
3,795 posts
6,596 battles

Has anyone mentioned that you are not prevented from taking the skill, just that there really isn't any point in taking it on a ZAO?

• Funny 2

[WOLFC]
Members
769 posts
7,365 battles
1 minute ago, JCC45 said:

Has anyone mentioned that you are not prevented from taking the skill, just that there really isn't any point in taking it on a ZAO?

No, I think they've just said he can take it ... :Smile_trollface:

[SUCIT]
Members
978 posts
3,970 battles
11 minutes ago, Umikami said:

I"M SO CONFUSED!!

Memes like the Memechuttes are hard to understand sometimes.  Just let it happen.

[1STBG]
Members
1,159 posts
4,904 battles

Maybe he just really, really hates US BBs. The Montana, Iowa, and MO have 38mm deck armor.  IFHE will allow him to pen that (although with the flat trajectory that's going to be rare). That's the only armor threshold bt 32mm, which 203s can already pen without IFHE, and 50mm, which it can't pen even with IFHE. 

Edited by DouglasMacAwful

[GODS]
Members
281 posts
9,842 battles

If you want to put IFHE then just do it.  Everyone has said where its useful.  Go put it on the Yamato for all I care.  

[PSP]
Members
8,023 posts
34 minutes ago, Kuckoo said:

You can still train IFHE on the Zao, but it would be a complete waste of skill points.  The caliber of the Zao's guns are such that it renders any benefit of IFHE irrelevant (and her secondaries aren't worth spending for upgrades).

Not a complete waste. However, there are only a handful of instances where IFHE 203 mm will penetrate and regular 203 mm HE will not. Once I looked into this but who knows where the post is. As I recall, the Iowa, Montana, and Yamato have areas where IFHE 203 mm can penetrate but which will shatter regular HE.

Edited by Snargfargle

[WGA]
Administrator
794 posts
454 battles

Hello Captains,

You can still select the skill but it just might not be a skill that is particularly good for the ship you are sailing =).

There are instance where certain ships (ships with strong secondaries) might want to take IFHE to further the strength of the secondaries.

General rule of thumb is: Take skills that will benefit the ship you are sailing the most.

• Cool 2

[KNTAI]
Members
2,186 posts
9,520 battles
42 minutes ago, Personator said:

Maybe he just really wants to pen the 37mm middeck of the Montana and the 40mm aft of the Roon.