Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
S16_Hunter

Gearing or Khab? both?

12 comments in this topic

[H_]
Members
341 posts
8,326 battles

Love my fletcher, Love my Trashcan now that I figured out how to play it a bit better.. Question is I'm now ready to move to the Gearing and or Khab  or not..

I'll probably keep the Fletcher even if I do get the Gearing, but is it really worth it to move up to it? is there a compelling OMG it's way more "THIS" then the Fletcher?

Same thing kind of implies with the KHAB, but I may just get this one for the sake of having one. .  From my experience one tough SOB to kill.. 

So.. thoughts?  Do you think the new Concealment changes will make a significant difference with these 2? Gearing/Khab.

[-SYN-]
[-SYN-]
Alpha Tester
1,168 posts
4,829 battles

I have a Gearing and am grinding the Tashkent. I loved the Fletcher and my feelings on the Gearing are about the same. The Gearing is well balanced between being a torpedo boat and a gun boat and depending on how you build it can excel at either or play a very dangerous jack of all trades.

The Khab is a monster and is a definite step up from the Tashkent, but not as useful in competitive game modes. 

Alpha Tester
5,501 posts
2,625 battles

The Gearing is the quintessential jack-of-all-trades. She can do everything you expect a DD to do and she can do it admirably, but she's not the best in any respect. The Shima has better torps, the Khabby is faster and tougher, the Harugumo has better guns, the Jutland is (I think) stealthier. That, however, doesn't take away from the fact that she's still got great guns, fine torps, and good stealth and speed. She's what you play when you want to be the person your team can count on to get the job done, whatever that job may be.

The Khabby, on the other hand, is good at exactly one thing: Tearing across the map like a madman, shooting everything she sees and soaking up damage with her heal. She's a ship you play when you just want to blow off some steam and raise a little cain. What your team does and what they want you to do is inconsequential. This is a ship that exists to serve the person at its helm and them alone.

• Cool 1

[FAE]
Members
2,312 posts
2,885 battles

Because Gearing now has fletcher torpedoes, Gearing is actually the better boat now. For some small trade offs: mostly turning mobility and BAD backwards firing arcs - you get another gun, very good bow on attack angle, and more HP. 

Gearing is a lot more effective for winning Imo than Khab unless you're really good. 

[PQUOD]
Members
1,072 posts
7,682 battles
3 hours ago, S16_Hunter said:

Love my fletcher, Love my Trashcan now that I figured out how to play it a bit better.. Question is I'm now ready to move to the Gearing and or Khab  or not..

I'll probably keep the Fletcher even if I do get the Gearing, but is it really worth it to move up to it? is there a compelling OMG it's way more "THIS" then the Fletcher?

Same thing kind of implies with the KHAB, but I may just get this one for the sake of having one. .  From my experience one tough SOB to kill.. 

So.. thoughts?  Do you think the new Concealment changes will make a significant difference with these 2? Gearing/Khab.

Gearing is really good, different than the Fletcher bit still good. (Fletcher is awesome). 

Can't comment on the Russian line, I don't own any.

[CUTIE]
Members
1,531 posts
6,573 battles

Both.

I love my Gearing, and as others have pointed out it's still a great destroyer for competitive game modes.  The guns are more than good enough for what they're needed for, the torps are outstanding (both options), the AA is solid for a destroyer (and can still be boosted with Defensive AA), and the smoke is unrivaled.  With the 10.5km (Fletcher) torps Gearing is still very potent in randoms, and with the longer-range 16.5s + that smoke it's the ultimate team player in Clan Battles.  Once you grind out the legendary module you also get the option of 5.6km concealment, equaling the Shimakaze for best at the tier (although at the price of slower reloads on torps and guns).  Really the only thing approaching a "weakness" with Gearing is the relatively lackluster speed.

Khabarovsk is flat out fun to play.  The tankiness, heal, and those guns allow you to be a terror to anything and everything in random battles, and on the rare occasions when you get to use your torps they'll put a huge hurt on anything they hit.  It's not particularly useful for competitive modes, but the same is true of many ships which are otherwise well worth having in your port.  It's basically Tashkent on steroids, so if you like the Tashkent you will love the Khab.

If credits are an issue, which to buy first comes down to which game modes you play more often.  If you're typically a Randoms guy (or Co-op), Khabarovsk is probably the better bet if you've enjoyed the other Soviet gunboats.  If you're more concerned with Clan Battles and/or tier 10 Ranked seasons, Gearing is the much better first choice.

[H_]
Members
341 posts
8,326 battles

Thanks for the replies folks I appreciate the insight from those that already have them.  Replies kind of fell where I thought they would confirming my thinking being that the Gearing is an upgrade but nothing radically different or better then the Fletch.

Khab, yeah sort of what I thought.  Like the trash can you basically "run around and shoot stuff".  which is all kinds of fun but generally annoy's the teammates..

Maybe i'll just get both and see what shakes out.  Not quite enough XP on the Trash to research the Khab so I think i'll get the gearing and wait on the Khab for a bit..

Probably going to sell the Z52..  I'm not getting the "I really like this ship" feeling.. or .. it will just sit in port un-played.

[CUTIE]
Members
1,531 posts
6,573 battles
10 hours ago, S16_Hunter said:

Probably going to sell the Z52..  I'm not getting the "I really like this ship" feeling.. or .. it will just sit in port un-played.

Z-52 is still a very good destroyer, you just have to play it much more cautiously during the early game than when it was first released.  Having one or more enemy radars nearby basically neuters its ability to counter-spot any destroyer with hydro & then sit in smoke and daka-daka it down.

Once the radars are thinned out that tactic becomes viable again, and the fast-reloading torps can be extremely effective at all points.

Members
114 posts
9,079 battles

I have a Fletcher which I love dearly and recently got the Gearing. It took me a while to get how to play Gearing. Gearing is Fletcher's chonkier sibbling. It's less stealthy, less maneuverable, slower and more clumsy, so you can't play it like a Fletcher. You have to play Gearing more cautiously and more choose-y in what fights you get yourself in because in the time it takes to disenage you can lose half your health. For this reason, I use the 16km torps. They do less damage and take longer to reload but I would rather that than risk being radared using the 10km torps and fail to get away. People often don't expect torps from a DD that isn't  Shimakaze past 12km which can lead to funny fire and forget moments. I use this to put pressure on an island camping radar cruisers as well as BBs pushing into caps from the neighboring cap. You have to be careful about not hitting your allies though.

[H_]
Members
341 posts
8,326 battles

Update: Got the Gearing,  only played a couple of games so far but it's let's say it's "different".  So far I'm liking it,  I like the faster shorter range torps, the guns I'm still learning, kind of strange feeling, maybe they are slower, less velocity then other DD's.  Have to check that out.  Hit hard though and reload is decent.  Boat can take a hit, and I wish it were a bit faster..  and yes maneuvering will take a bit getting used to..

I did get the Permanent camo seems like it's kind of mandatory on T10's.   So have the Z52, Yue Yang and Gearing,  getting close to the Khab..  once I get that I'm going to start on the RN line as I think the Daring is a pretty good ship.

[CRMSN]
Members
473 posts
3,160 battles

I only play dds.

I personally do poorly in generalist dds (gearing/groz) But i enjoy the smoke khab build. Most people run the evasion khab build. 

Sign in to follow this