You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Elo_J_Fudpucker

PTS 8.0 ReCap - Sector Fire Fails - 30Sec Queue Times

11 comments in this topic

[WAG]
Members
1,497 posts
8,528 battles

Interesting...   this "round two" of the PTS was... felt like... they tweaked the AA and ran it but .. it felt like they were just pandering. 
What is the point of a 30 Second cue when there are less than 800 people on the PTS. Dumping into a battle with wither no CV or only 1 or 2 live players, was .. pointless.. totally pointless. We still do nto know how this is goign to go becasue we never got enough live player sin one battle to tell.

Why have a ridiculous short queue time of 30 seconds? It was as if they were quite sure *they* didn't need a second round of PTS, but did it just to shut everyone up.

A 30 sec queue made round two of the test somewhat pointless, and it felt intentional. What gain could there be from such a short queue? ??

I also find the sector AA system to be pointless and useless. Give us back the ability to target squadrons.

[FYL]
Alpha Tester
148 posts
13,178 battles

Wg cannot control how many ppl participate... I logged in myself and found a similar situation but was looking to familiarize myself w the new flight mechanics before 8.0 goes live. 

Found the gameplay fairly engaging. Map marker based cv navigation was more comfortable than expected.

All the air targeting systems felt clunky at first but once the nuances came into focus was pretty enjoyable. 

This is def a nerf to cv power, enemy only needs to have some semblance of a formation to create a devastating aa bubble. Esp. Noted howquickly planes were downed after initial passes in the "coming around" part of a run. 

• Boring 1

[WAG]
Members
1,497 posts
8,528 battles
11 minutes ago, TheGill said:

Wg cannot control how many ppl participate... 

This is correct, but they DO control the queue timer... a 30 sec queue time was pointless.

It was impossible to evaluate the new system when the majority of ships on the PTS are bots, the 30 sec queue created this situation, and I am sure WG did this on purpose... but why? Fromm y point of view it was preventing me from getting a good opportunity to really test the system, but I again, think they knew this... WG doesn't communicate well, so we are left to gues... this is mine.  :D

[RLGN]
Members
9,416 posts
18,821 battles

Most of my queues were a minute or more... One went over five minutes... (Lack of players at the tier I was using I guess...)

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,933 posts
9,049 battles
2 hours ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

Why have a ridiculous short queue time of 30 seconds? It was as if they were quite sure *they* didn't need a second round of PTS, but did it just to shut everyone up.

This is exactly it - it was the same as their actual testing and is the basis of their excuse of "not enough data, have to push it to live". If they had just implemented it in stages over events like Halloween with the pvp battles they added and all, they'd get their data and proof of concept without the current issue of they set a date, they got busted, and are desperately trying to do spin and damage control and failing miserably at it for the last what, 4 months or so? Feels like at this point they invested too much time in this build, having only their internal testers and the few alpha there are if they even got to test it before us, thinking "this is good" only to suddenly find out a majority dislike it or do not approve of it's current design and be over-committed and have to release, likely to the detriment of the game and playerbase. Which comes back to a classic issue of RTS CV's that looks like it will still remain -

Wargaming unable to admit when they make a mistake and actually address it. 

They doubled down on national flavours when we told them USN AS was an issue because the line was too heavily specialized in air defense or attack, while the balance of IJN allowed for full attack USN to be slaughtered. The fight we had to have or historically accurate planes. The return of 2,2,2 Midway that we told them would be OP, again. Nerfing Midway's hanger which didn't solve the problem it was meant to fix. Graf Zeppelin - sure they pulled it from the store but they went right back to the broken setup that prompted it being changed last minute in the first place. They practically screamed over everyone that everything was fine with CV alpha and manual drop - as they tried to desperately buff AA to fix it instead of reduce TB alpha or remove/adjust manual drop. List goes on as they listen to one side or dig their heels in fighting us over changes that NEED to happen.

Hell look at the "one unit" nonsense, the lack of CV controls when operating the planes. Pretty much everyone universally agrees CV's need this - and they've dug their heels in that they will not add it - till we basically drag them kicking and screaming to the computer, tie them to the chair, and threaten their dog to make them make the change. Most of the things people are complaining about on PTS - were the same complaints we had on Beta test. But they did nothing to truly address them. 

This is Warplanes 1.5 all over again - they have an idea, they work on it in secret, they drop it on us, we revolt and rebel against it, the ones who like it even saying it's not ready and needs more work, they ignore us, and aim to shove it on the live server the day they want to. And want to know what happened after that, with promises of "we will work on the balance in a timely fashion" and all that stuff that they've been saying here -months of frustrating balance and problems, ones that drove the player base away, which caused more issues in MM and gameplay and all, that drove even more away, and that even as they got changes done to fix things didn't fix them well enough so people kept leaving, and as more fixes were added and changes made in this system, the more people left, and even more so as the only fix for MM and medals - was to put bots in live battles, which drove away even more. Not sure what, if anything, 2.0 managed to recover, it failed to get me back, it's the same garbage I left made even worse with a new game mode, but when I did leave - we were lucky to have 1000 players on around peak times. And it is not "Chicken little-ing" or being over dramatic to point out that this is the exact risk they are taking again. A risk the Tanks team, when they had similar issues with a patch, opted not to take. 32% of players are on board at best based on what they have - meaning releasing in this state could drive off 68% of the player base. Not the CV player base, not the BB player base, the entire thing. That takes us from he 14-15k players I've seen at times, to basically 4-5k players. If half those players pay, that's a 720000 dollar loss per year JUST on premium time. Start adding in ships, xp conversions, port slots, dubloons, that number gets bigger. And that's just one server of the games income. 

32% are fine with things as they are, 68% aren't, and there is no guarantee to gain players to replace any losses, let alone catastrophic losses. Definition of a stupid bet. 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,571 posts
13,465 battles

I went orange on the test server because I left games where I was trying to test a destroyer and got put in a game with only bots and no CVs. What a stupid system, CV test with no CVs...

• Cool 1

[FYL]
Alpha Tester
148 posts
13,178 battles
On 1/14/2019 at 3:24 PM, Edgecase said:

I went orange on the test server because I left games where I was trying to test a destroyer and got put in a game with only bots and no CVs. What a stupid system, CV test with no CVs...

So you weren't even participating in the CV testing, just trying out boats you dont have. Sorry not sorry. 

• Bad 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,571 posts
13,465 battles
7 minutes ago, TheGill said:

So you weren't even participating in the CV testing, just trying out boats you dont have. Sorry not sorry. 

Then be sorry for your failure to read the post, understand it, and do background research. I've created instructional videos on how to play CVs on the test server, and I own every tech tree ship on the live server.

When they hold a PTS round to test the AA system, and I go to the PTS to test a ship's AA, and it puts me in a bot game with no CVs, it means the test server was set up stupidly. Rather than waste my time in a match where meaningful testing is literally impossible, I leave and get back in the queue to try and get a match that isn't pointless. But because they (also stupidly) left the leaver-punishment system enabled on the PTS, it eventually turned my test account orange and thus made it further impossible to do valuable testing.

[REVY]
Members
263 posts
3,684 battles
9 hours ago, Edgecase said:

Then be sorry for your failure to read the post, understand it, and do background research. I've created instructional videos on how to play CVs on the test server, and I own every tech tree ship on the live server.

He owns all the tech tree ships. He just wants you to know. How dare you not know @TheGill. For shame.

Beta Testers
1,234 posts
5,597 battles
On 1/14/2019 at 10:50 AM, TheGill said:

Wg cannot control how many ppl participate...

I have been trying to test all morning but I can;'t seem to connect to the test server today.  Not sure if it is down or not...

Beta Testers
1,234 posts
5,597 battles
On 1/16/2019 at 2:50 PM, TheGill said:

"got put in a game with only bots and no CVs"

Did you even bother to read what posted before you flamed him?  God forbid someone would want to test out to a ship line they play on live to see how the AA and plane changes will impact them. Nope, they have test according to your standard...