You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
StoptheViolins

Saint-Louis (T9) and AI's Focus Fire

3 comments in this topic

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,703 posts

Ok, I've played with the armor viewer, compared the SL to other ships at T9 and I can't see why AI will suddenly focus fire on it no matter how many ships are between me ant the AI.  Literally.  AI currently goes DD's, SL, everyone else on it's priority list.  There could be 2-3 1/2 health or lower allies in between me and the AI but as soon as the SL is spotted all AI that can targets me and starts blasting away.

The aggro rules go out the window.  I can be outside any cap circle, full health, 3 ships deep in the line, and farthest away from any AI, but the AI will still target the SL.  10% health BB 5km away - AI will swing guns at the SL 15km away.  Half the team in the open on the cap, and the SL pops out from behind an island no where near the cap - AI will swing guns at the SL. The only ship the AI doesn't stop shooting to focus fire the SL is any given DD.

I used to get this with the Prinz Eugen until a few patches after release when WG "fixed it".  I just wonder if the SL isn't broke as well.

At least I still have my WASD hacks.

[PVE]
Members
12,447 posts
8,478 battles
43 minutes ago, StoptheViolins said:

Ok, I've played with the armor viewer, compared the SL to other ships at T9 and I can't see why AI will suddenly focus fire on it no matter how many ships are between me ant the AI.  Literally.  AI currently goes DD's, SL, everyone else on it's priority list.  There could be 2-3 1/2 health or lower allies in between me and the AI but as soon as the SL is spotted all AI that can targets me and starts blasting away.

The aggro rules go out the window.  I can be outside any cap circle, full health, 3 ships deep in the line, and farthest away from any AI, but the AI will still target the SL.  10% health BB 5km away - AI will swing guns at the SL 15km away.  Half the team in the open on the cap, and the SL pops out from behind an island no where near the cap - AI will swing guns at the SL. The only ship the AI doesn't stop shooting to focus fire the SL is any given DD.

I used to get this with the Prinz Eugen until a few patches after release when WG "fixed it".  I just wonder if the SL isn't broke as well.

At least I still have my WASD hacks.

There is some kind of formula for HP and distance that the AI uses. I also think it varies by AI competence level as well. When the AIs are rolled as dumb, it is easier to get some distance and have the AI switch focus. When the AI level is smart, a particular ship is more likely to stay focused on you over other factors. When the cooperation is high and the AI is smart, they travel in packs and all focus one ship at a time. You have to be on your toes then.

[KRAK]
Members
936 posts
11,430 battles

Saint Louis has a large health pool in relation to its armor, 41K hp, and is a very large target, with a slow turn. So a lot of ship (length needed for speed), but is scantily dressed, so to speak.

Compare this to Cleveland at 37K HP, which is more compact, harder to hit, and can wiggle very well.

AI knows some variables I'm sure, so goes for total damage inflected.