Capt_Oveur

My chat bans are on auto-resupply

12 comments in this topic

[SAA]
Modder
19 posts

Like a new consumable, my chat bans are on auto-resupply. I am getting them even when nobody is reporting me. Being a repeat offender I must be under continuous surveillance. I cannot say I wasn't warned:

I personally (and for obvious reasons) would like to see just a bit more relaxed attitude. It's a WAR GAME ffs1. All war movies and games have warnings for 'Violence AND Coarse Language'. Swearing and taunts add to the realism of the game and they are historically accurate: see 'swears like a sailor'.

As to what kind of player would use foul language in chat, it's scientifically proven that swearing is the telltale mark of an intelligent and honest person:
https://www.scarymommy.com/hell-yeah-swearing-makes-you-smarter-attractive-less-stressed/

I am not advocating for tolerating hate speech or slurs but who needs protection from the f-bomb or name calling? Have you heard ten-year-olds arguing recently?

Unfortunately, one of my favorite terms of endearment seems to trigger all sorts of alarms. I want to assure everyone it's just banter when I call someone a

Roosterlollipop.thumb.JPG.d4233d961ea20db9e97d99d7609048cb.JPG

1 family fun stuff

• Boring 3
  • Bad 2

[WOLF4]
Members
1,320 posts
2,856 battles

This isn't gonna go anywhere good.

ibtl00183f.jpg

• Cool 3

[KRAK]
Members
2,012 posts
14,685 battles
Just now, harikari25 said:

Parenting is your responsibility, not WG's. If the language used in chat makes you squeamish, don't let them play the game.

Apparently WG feels the way I do or they would not be monitoring chat logs and handing out chat bans.

• Cool 4
  • Bad 2

[MUG-T]
Members
34 posts
1,007 battles

Cant you set your chatbox to bleep F-Bombs and things? i thought i saw a setting for that in the options menu, besides online games are always rated as though you will be exposed to other players who might swear or worse, and i thought it was called "swearing like a sailor" for a reason

Edited by Corvette3

[PSP]
Members
7,987 posts
33 minutes ago, Capt_Oveur said:

Like a new consumable, my chat bans are on auto-resupply. I am getting them even when nobody is reporting me. Being a repeat offender I must be under continuous surveillance. I cannot say I wasn't warned:

I personally (and for obvious reasons) would like to see just a bit more relaxed attitude. It's a WAR GAME ffs1. All war movies and games have warnings for 'Violence AND Coarse Language'. Swearing and taunts add to the realism of the game and they are historically accurate: see 'swears like a sailor'.

As to what kind of player would use foul language in chat, it's scientifically proven that swearing is the telltale mark of an intelligent and honest person:
https://www.scarymommy.com/hell-yeah-swearing-makes-you-smarter-attractive-less-stressed/

I am not advocating for tolerating hate speech or slurs but who needs protection from the f-bomb or name calling? Have you heard ten-year-olds arguing recently?

Unfortunately, one of my favorite terms of endearment seems to trigger all sorts of alarms. I want to assure everyone it's just banter when I call someone a

Roosterlollipop.thumb.JPG.d4233d961ea20db9e97d99d7609048cb.JPG

1 family fun stuff

There is a time and a place for everything. I have played for over two years and have called more than a few people fools and idiots when they were acting as such. However, I never lambasted people who at least were trying or called the team a bunch of <expletives> when things were not going well. I also have never been chat banned.

I disagree with people who say that using curse words is a sign of intelligence.  It's been my experience, as a scientist and biology professor, that it's those of lower intelligence and less education that tend to curse more. Communication is the transfer of information. Curse words usually are no more than useless noise that degrade the signal. One well-placed "damn-it" is all that's needed to convey irritation, you don't have to go off into a long expletive tirade.

• Cool 5

[MUG-T]
Members
34 posts
1,007 battles
2 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

There is a time and a place for everything. I have played for over two years and have called more than a few people fools and idiots when they were acting as such. However, I never lambasted people who at least were trying or called the team a bunch of <expletives> when things were not going well. I also have never been chat banned.

I disagree with people who say that using curse words is a sign of intelligence.  It's been my experience, as a scientist and biology professor, that it's those of lower intelligence and less education that tend to curse more. Communication is the transfer of information. Curse words usually are no more than useless noise that degrade the signal. One well-placed "damn-it" is all that's needed to convey irritation, you don't have to go off into a long expletive tirade.

Who even said that anyway? but i think there are smart people who swear and not-so people who don't, but smarter people might be better at tempering themselves, (sure wish i was)

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,471 posts
10,162 battles

If you are getting chat bans so easily maybe just maybe, ah hell you really should look at how you are acting in chat.

Almost forgot,

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
7,108 posts
3,722 battles

Perhaps you have a dirty mouth? May be try OrbX?

Also my [edited] meter has gone from "wear boots," to "man the rubber dingy" on your innocence. 

[HINON]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
2,560 posts
4,805 battles
2 hours ago, Capt_Oveur said:

Swearing and taunts add to the realism of the game and they are historically accurate: see 'swears like a sailor'.

I think you missed the memo that this is an arcade game not a simulation so you need to get with the program.

Historical accuracy is not going to be your friend here