Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
linusboy2118

What did WG do to USN CA AP?

14 comments in this topic

[-TBP-]
Members
35 posts
3,817 battles

Im not claiming to be a Unicom or anything but i do play scenario's alot and I usually score 1 or 2 on team. Pepsicola i'm deadly accurate with and this current scenario Raptor rescue im playing like normal and first Furataka hit with 2 salvo's 19 out of 20 hits, full broadside usually get couple cits have deleted in 1 salvo before but this time get 19 overpens out of 19 hits. wth it seems everytime i shoot cruisers and DDs now with AP its all overpens and the HE isnt much better. Hit ALBA with salvo on waterline 9 overpens and 1 ricochet wth on full broadside Alba. How do you overpen the armor 9 shells but 1 shell ricochets against the same armor on full broadside. Ever since WG redid the AP for the whiny DD players nothing has worked right ive noticed across all nations and ship types both AP and HE except IJN 100mm guns those work better than they have any right to. The only time my Pepsi AP penetrated normally was against the broadside IJN  BBs at the end of the scenario but no citadels even at point blank range. *

Edited by turbo07
  • Bad 2

[HINON]
Members
10,089 posts

I haven't noticed any difference and still nuke the bots in RR with ease. Try aiming lower if you are getting a bunch of overpens, also its possible those IJN cruisers werent as broadside as you thought as they have tanky belts. You could also post a replay if you want to have an objective perspective.

qOtMD5h.gif

• Boring 1

[CUTE]
[CUTE]
Members
144 posts
16,401 battles

Nothing.

Literally nothing has changed.

[RQL]
Members
29 posts
7,441 battles
1 hour ago, linusboy2118 said:

Im not claiming to be a Unicom or anything but i do play scenario's alot and I usually score 1 or 2 on team.

Oh crap man you play scenarios and get top 2, you must really know what you're talking about.

Edited by ITshark
  • Bad 2

[-AA-]
Members
1,754 posts
6,667 battles

You were either too close or you didn't hit the Aoba at the waterline (mid section). 

Edited by LemonadeWarrior

Beta Testers
1,579 posts
9,679 battles
On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:28 PM, linusboy2118 said:

How do you overpen the armor 9 shells but 1 shell ricochets against the same armor on full broadside.

First, all the shells do not hit the "same armor."  That is, dispersion spreads the hits out over a large area, so even if you hit the ship with all 10 guns, they are not all hitting the same spot.  Some hit the superstructure, some hit the torpedo bulge, some hit between the bulge and the superstructure, some hit the bow, etc.  Just because they all hit does not mean they all hit the "same armor."  Add to that the ship is around 586 feet long.  Counting the end zones, that is over one and a half (1.63) football fields long.  There is approximately 390 feet between the mid point of the front most turret and the mid point of the rear most turret.  That is still longer than a football field back of the end zone to back of the end zone (360 feet).  This means, especially when firing at close ranges, shells can becoming in from significantly different angles.  Depending on the angles of the two ships and the range, the rear turrets could be hitting at an angle where there is no bounce chance and only have to deal with armor while the front turrets are hitting at an angle where bounce is calculated.  That could easily mean that the five rear turrets don't bounce and four of the front guns pass the bounce check while one does not.

• Bad 1

[WOLF9]
Members
3,536 posts
53 minutes ago, Sotaudi said:

First, all the shells do not hit the "same armor."  That is, dispersion spreads the hits out over a large area, so even if you hit the ship with all 10 guns, they are not all hitting the same spot.  Some hit the superstructure, some hit the torpedo bulge, some hit between the bulge and the superstructure, some hit the bow, etc.  Just because they all hit does not mean they all hit the "same armor."  Add to that the ship is around 586 feet long.  Counting the end zones, that is almost 5 football fields long.  There is approximately 390 feet between the mid point of the front most turret and the mid point of the rear most turret.  This means, especially when firing at close ranges, shells can becoming in from significantly different angles.  Depending on the angles of the two ships and the range, the rear turrets could be hitting at an angle where there is no bounce chance and only have to deal with armor while the front turrets are hitting at an angle where bounce is calculated.  That could easily mean that the five rear turrets don't bounce and four of the front guns pass the bounce check while one does not.

Not to be pedantic, but I think you've gotten your math wrong.  There's 3 feet to a yard, and 100 yards to a football field (not counting the end Zones) - so that's 300 feet from goal line to goal line.   still a long ship, but not THAT long.   5 football fields would be 1500 feet- Supercarrier territory.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,579 posts
9,679 battles
16 hours ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

Not to be pedantic, but I think you've gotten your math wrong.  There's 3 feet to a yard, and 100 yards to a football field (not counting the end Zones) - so that's 300 feet from goal line to goal line.   still a long ship, but not THAT long.   5 football fields would be 1500 feet- Supercarrier territory.

Nothing wrong with accuracy.  And you are correct.  I was in a hurry and forgot to convert yards to feet, or I was using the "new math" they teach kids today, not sure which.  However, for the sake of accuracy (and what's left of my ego), note that I said "counting the end zones."  I chose to include the end zones because I was trying to give an image one could visualize to get a sense of the distance.  While we intellectually understand that the goal line to goal line distance is 100 yards (300 feet as you rightly point out), when we visualize a "football field," we tend to visualize back of the end zone to back of the end zone rather than just goal line to goal line.

Thus, a football field, including the end zones, is technically 120 yards long, or 360 feet.

Thanks for the correction.  I will edit my reply.  And thanks for leaving out the "you ditz" the mistake so rightly deserved.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[WOLF9]
Members
3,536 posts
2 hours ago, Sotaudi said:

Nothing wrong with accuracy.  And you are correct.  I was in a hurry and forgot to convert yards to feet, or I was using the "new math" they teach kids today, not sure which.  However, for the sake of accuracy (and what's left of my ego), note that I said "counting the end zones."  I chose to include the end zones because I was trying to give an image one could visualize to get a sense of the distance.  While we intellectually understand that the goal line to goal line distance is 100 yards (300 feet as you rightly point out), when we visualize a "football field," we tend to visualize back of the end zone to back of the end zone rather than just goal line to goal line.

Thus, a football field, including the end zones, is technically 120 yards long, or 360 feet.

Thanks for the correction.  I will edit my reply.  And thanks for leaving out the "you ditz" the mistake so rightly deserved.

lol- I wasn't trying to be mean- just wondering if it were a bit of hyperbole, or someone who is stuck in a "CC" math class.   (or just meant yards instead of feet)

Was just watching a video about the Gerald R Ford, and they used the same metaphor- football fields- to describe the size of it's flight deck.   Which made me go wait- what? when I read this, lol.

On the other hand, that might explain why the ship in question handles like a floating tree...    When I first saw the USS Little Rock in person (a former Cleveland class cruiser converted into a Talos missile ship) I thought to myself, "huh- now I understand why a lot of my ships handle the way they do- they're FREAKING HUGE"

By comparison, The Sullivans (a Fletcher class DD)- parked right next to it- looks like a large fishing boat, lol.  And this was the largest ship of it's type when first introduced...

Beta Testers
1,579 posts
9,679 battles
2 hours ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

lol- I wasn't trying to be mean- just wondering if it were a bit of hyperbole, or someone who is stuck in a "CC" math class.   (or just meant yards instead of feet)

Was just watching a video about the Gerald R Ford, and they used the same metaphor- football fields- to describe the size of it's flight deck.   Which made me go wait- what? when I read this, lol.

On the other hand, that might explain why the ship in question handles like a floating tree...    When I first saw the USS Little Rock in person (a former Cleveland class cruiser converted into a Talos missile ship) I thought to myself, "huh- now I understand why a lot of my ships handle the way they do- they're FREAKING HUGE"

By comparison, The Sullivans (a Fletcher class DD)- parked right next to it- looks like a large fishing boat, lol.  And this was the largest ship of it's type when first introduced...

I didn't take it as mean.  But it was a glaring mistake I usually would catch.  It deserved a "you ditz," from me anyway.

But, yeah, that is why I used the analogy.  When I was in the Navy, I deployed on eight different ships, ranging from 533 feet long to 598 feet long, or about 53 feet shorter to 12 feet longer than the Pensacola, so I have a fairly good sense for how long that is.   However, most people have never really seen a warship up close and personal.  Most have seen them only on media or from a fair distance.  That simply doesn't give you the true its "FREAKEN HUGE" sense you get when you are up close and personal.  On the other hand, most people, at least in the US, have been to a football field, so they have a natural sense of how big that is as a reference point, making it a useful analogy (if you don't screw up the conversions).  Of course, our Canadian Football fan friends will have to adjust since their playing field is 110 yards and their end zones are 20 yards, or 150 yards total.   It is a bit harder for soccer, the other football, fans.  Official FIFA fields apparently can range from 90 meters (i.e., 99 yards or 297 feet) to 120 meters (i.e., 132 yards or 396 feet).  However, they all give a good sense of how big the Pensacola is, 1.6 American Football fields long or 1.3 Canadian Football fields long (both including the end zones) or between 1.5 and 2 soccer fields long, depending on how big that field is.

Speaking of Carriers, I was never deployed on her, but I once had to go aboard the USS Enterprise (CVN-65) to help do some training for their weather office, which was about dead center of the ship one or two decks below the flight deck.  That sucker was just shy of being twice as long as the Pensacola at 1,122 feet.  I remember getting a sense of this is "FREAKIN HUGE" standing outside the weather office, looking down the passage way, and seeing the compartment hatches in the bulkheads shrinking ever smaller in the distance.  It reminded me of looking at a doorway reflected in two mirrors and shrinking into infinity in the distance.  Imagine that image looking forward or aft.   THAT is truly FREAKIN HUGE.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
152 posts
9,589 battles

I just had a game with DM.  I was hitting a couple cruisers with AP or so it seemed.   Hitting the broadside and superstructure at about 5 km on one ship and in closer on the other.  They were getting no damage and no sign of damage on the ship.  So I was going to ask the same question.  Both ships should have been sunk, got 2300 in damage on them and only 28 hits out of about 100 rounds fired.  There were no splashes.  First time seeing anything close to that.  It was like the PEF hitting a BB only worse.  

Just played another game with DM.  Good news is with fewer shots fired at about same range, 2 sinks CA and DD with 43,000 damage.  Seems to be normal now that one battle was experiencing a bug, had to be.

Edited by Dartinbullets

[CVA16]
Members
2,790 posts
10,507 battles
On 1/15/2019 at 6:06 PM, Fletcher7_1944 said:

Actually, he could be right. What is the length of the ship in game? Aren't some of the ships in-game nearly a kilometer long? even longer?

Timescales, speeds and sizes are not real-life in game. So the target may be close to 1500 feet long in-game

Sign in to follow this