Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
FlyingLoafOfToast

Uhmmm... whaaat?

35 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
17 posts
1,964 battles

So, I'm sitting in my port just now, some ten minutes after a successful battle, and I suddenly get the following notification:

"You have been suspended from sending chat messages until 16.01.2019 16:49.  Reason: Insults and provocations - 117076981."

Um.  I am confounded.  I've said *nothing* in this session outside of divisional chat except to greet an acquaintance on the other team and to encourage a friendly ship to hold a base, and compliment him/her upon successful doing so.

My karma has not dropped, so I doubt I've even been (falsely) reported.

I have *no* idea why I'm suddenly banned for three days from chatting - this has *never* happened to me in my thirteen months of play, and it seems ridiculous.  Has anyone else got any experience with this sort of thing?  Seriously, aside from winning all six of my random battles (wow) tonight, including going top fragger in that last battle and incurring some jealous reporting (but then, like I said, my karma hasn't dropped), I don't know what happened here.

New rite of passage for me or something?  This is upsetting because of its injustice and inexplicable nature, and I'm not sure whither to turn.

Thanks for your time.

Flying Loaf of Toast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,275
[WOLF7]
Members
10,790 posts

No point in telling us...:Smile_popcorn:

Far too many players have come to the forums saying they did nothing wrong, only to be proven wrong later. Nothing can be done here, and WG's support system is well...suspect at times.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2
[MUG-T]
Members
34 posts
1,067 battles

Do you remember doing anything? that might get your chat reported?

If not then iDunno, got replays? we can see what you said? other than that it doesn't matter if you tell us here why not try a support ticket instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,816
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,524 posts
10,217 battles

A three day ban says you have been bad in the past. Also remember that it takes more than a single match for a chat ban to trigger.

Just now, Corvette3 said:

Do you remember doing anything? that might get your chat reported?

If not then iDunno, got replays? we can see what you said? other than that it doesn't matter if you tell us here why not try a support ticket instead.

This, watch your replays going back several matches. If you really think you said nothing to earn this start a ticket but it will unlikely make it through the system before the ban is over but if they agree with you it will remove it from your history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
17 posts
1,964 battles

It's absolutely impossible.  I said nothing that wasn't innocuous.  There is simply no way anything could have been remotely misinterpreted.

I don't know how to do replays.  If it's something which can be dug up after the fact, I will.  If it has to be pre-set somehow, then that's hard luck.  On the other hand, on my mother's grave, nobody else can produce any replay or screenshot of any fair reason to coming close to reporting me for a chat violation - or anything else.  The whole thing is just stupid.

Thanks for your direction towards the support ticket.  I'll see what that might do.

FLOT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
17 posts
1,964 battles

I'm quite shocked.  I've never had a ban in the past.

Could this be from inflicting damage to teammates?  Because I accidentally hit my division mate with a torpedo (damage, not a kill) in an earlier match tonight, which earned me two matches with a pink label.  That went away, and then in the last game, I was zoomed in to target an enemy cruiser, and one turret from my salvo caught a friendly ship which had just sailed in front of me, doing about 1500 points of damage (rest of the salvo sank the Red, for what it's worth).  However, from having hit friends incidentally and accidentally from time to time, it seems a ban for that would restrict my game modes.

A chat ban, by contrast, appears to be (I don't actually know) a result of a reported chat.  In that case, well, I've never had a prior ban for that, nor can I even remember telling somebody off.  I am almost always very low key and non-confrontational, and am even more so the diplomat when I *do* use the keyboard.  So... I'm confused as to why this happened in the first place.

I'll have to look into replays.  I've zero experience with them.  I didn't even know they were possible until a few weeks ago.

Thanks again,

FLOT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,339
[INTEL]
Members
9,289 posts
26,978 battles
16 hours ago, FlyingLoafOfToast said:

It's absolutely impossible.  I said nothing that wasn't innocuous.  There is simply no way anything could have been remotely misinterpreted.

I don't know how to do replays.  If it's something which can be dug up after the fact, I will.  If it has to be pre-set somehow, then that's hard luck.  On the other hand, on my mother's grave, nobody else can produce any replay or screenshot of any fair reason to coming close to reporting me for a chat violation - or anything else.  The whole thing is just stupid.

Thanks for your direction towards the support ticket.  I'll see what that might do.

FLOT

Perhaps someone mis-clicked on REPORT when they meant compliment. I've potato'd that way. 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
597
[1STBG]
Members
1,164 posts
4,993 battles
25 minutes ago, FlyingLoafOfToast said:

My karma has not dropped, so I doubt I've even been (falsely) reported

I don't think karma is affected by chat abuse or afk reports, only plays poorly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
614
[WOLF4]
Members
1,320 posts
2,856 battles
7 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Perhaps someone mis-clicked on REPORT when they meant compliment. I've potato'd that way. 

Would take more than one though right? I mean people report each other like crazy all the time.

Just take a CV into a match and play poorly. Instant report-o-matic. :cap_book:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,384 posts
8,764 battles
3 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

I don't think karma is affected by chat abuse or afk reports, only plays poorly

I think they all affect karma. If the OP didnt see a karma drop, almost sounds like someone took a screenshot and sent a manual report.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
614
[WOLF4]
Members
1,320 posts
2,856 battles
5 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

I don't think karma is affected by chat abuse or afk reports, only plays poorly

Pretty sure any report takes away karma.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
17 posts
1,964 battles

Huh.  Well, thanks for all of your replies so far, fellow gamers.  I do appreciate them.

This will pass.  I've limited hours to team up with friends online in the next days, and now no way to explain to them that I'm not ignoring their every message.  That's a hard hit to take on account of someone who either accidentally reported me or deliberately did so, but illegitimately.  Dang.  I guess my big concern is that if the system is flawed like this, now I have to worry about when next I'll be silenced for three days, or longer, because of a misclick or because I've played well for once.  ::shrug::

Anyways, thanks to all.

FLOT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
17 posts
1,964 battles

From what I read about reports, any two ding your karma, and any one compliment boosts it.  From tracking my numbers, it's impossible I've been reported more than three times in total in the last 24 hours.  So, that seems unlikely.

If it almost sounds like a manual report with a screenshot, then it also almost sounds like somebody went to the trouble of fabricating text.  I barely chatted at all.  Stunning.

Anyways, I suppose it is what it is.  Thanks for helping me understand a bit of what may have happened and what to do next.  I'll look into whether I have those replays somewhere.

Cheers,

FLOT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
17 posts
1,964 battles
11 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

Just take a CV into a match and play poorly. Instant report-o-matic. :cap_book:

I've definitely let the side down with CVs in more than one match.  Not intentionally, just situationally.  I've never had anything like this happen in 700+ hours and ~1500 games.  :Smile_unsure:

--FLOT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,172
[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,217 posts
13,845 battles

If you had no negative karma shift, you might have been chat bombed by disgruntled Reds, which were balanced by "good jobs" from your team.  Look at replays, with any game where you throttled the reds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
328
[UDEAD]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,382 posts
3,866 battles
12 minutes ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

I think they all affect karma. If the OP didnt see a karma drop, almost sounds like someone took a screenshot and sent a manual report.

Sounds like what may have happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
17 posts
1,964 battles
Just now, Soshi_Sone said:

If you had no negative karma shift, you might have been chat bombed by disgruntled Reds, which were balanced by "good jobs" from your team.  Look at replays, with any game where you throttled the reds. 

Interesting.

I've just had a very unusual string of six wins in random, involving 13 kills and at least two top fragger games while only getting sunk once.  I still have the same game session open, and can see I only received one compliment in that time, which was from the very first match.  So my karma, not having a net change from where it started, was logically docked either twice or thrice, and all that.

I've had success at this level before - once in a while - and have never been the target of a ban.  I don't get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,384 posts
8,764 battles
10 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

If you had no negative karma shift, you might have been chat bombed by disgruntled Reds, which were balanced by "good jobs" from your team.  Look at replays, with any game where you throttled the reds. 

 

7 minutes ago, FlyingLoafOfToast said:

Interesting.

I've just had a very unusual string of six wins in random, involving 13 kills and at least two top fragger games while only getting sunk once.  I still have the same game session open, and can see I only received one compliment in that time, which was from the very first match.  So my karma, not having a net change from where it started, was logically docked either twice or thrice, and all that.

I've had success at this level before - once in a while - and have never been the target of a ban.  I don't get it.

You would see the compliment in the reports/notifications. But not the report. You only see reports if you get more than 1. But you see compliments even at only 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
17 posts
1,964 battles
Just now, Octavian_of_Roma said:

 

You would see the compliment in the reports/notifications. But not the report. You only see reports if you get more than 1. But you see compliments even at only 1.

Then I've never been reported more than once at a clip, because I haven't seen a report notification...ever?

I have only one compliment tonight, and no karma change, and no report notification, which means I've basically been reported once at the most - and yet, a three-day ban.  Hrhm.  Weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,384 posts
8,764 battles
3 minutes ago, FlyingLoafOfToast said:

Then I've never been reported more than once at a clip, because I haven't seen a report notification...ever?

I have only one compliment tonight, and no karma change, and no report notification, which means I've basically been reported once at the most - and yet, a three-day ban.  Hrhm.  Weird.

Yes, quite possibly.

I still think someone sent in a manual report, especially if you are generally civil. Bans usually only come on repeat offenders or if someone goes over the top a bit.

Edit: Either way, as others of said. Only WG could really tell you, if it was applied for good reason or not. Sucks but ehhhhhhhhhh. 

 

Edited by Octavian_of_Roma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
17 posts
1,964 battles

Yes, that seems the most logical thing.

I just honestly don't know how it succeeded; there was nothing outside of civility.  There was barely anything at all to begin with.  Unfortunately, I don't seem to have any replays - it looks like one has to download a separate program to enable that in the first place.  Maybe I should, to try to help to prevent this in the future.

FLOT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
407
[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
662 posts
14,272 battles

Did you happen to dev-strike a WarGaming employee by any chance?

  • Funny 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19
[LF]
Members
131 posts

I really dislike getting punished when innocent. Sounds like you are the same. For that reason, early on with my WOWS experience, I turned on the replay system and I started making screen prints. So I have replays of nearly ever single game I've played and screen prints of the post game results. So if something weird happens, I have the evidence to back up my claim.

Its been a long time since I did this but I seem to remember that the replay system is activated with a setting. I don't think it is a separate download. If wrong, someone please correct me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×