You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Nekriist

Free Xp ship suggestions

9 comments in this topic

[WOLFX]
Members
2 posts
1,843 battles

Hey everyone,

I am sitting on a large amount of free xp (at least for me), and am wondering what to free xp through on my ship lines. To start off with, the highest tier ship I have is tier 9, the french BB Alsace. Other than that, I have a bunch of ships at tier 7 and 8 (Cleveland, New Orleans, KGV, Bismarck, Gniesenau, Richelieu, etc.). I can't make up my mind where I should spend my free xp, and was wondering if anyone could maybe give me some advice or suggestions of their own. Here are some of the options I thought about:

- Free xp out of the Bismarck. This ship is a weird one for me. I absolutely -love- the German t7 BBs, as well as the Bayern, but for some reason I can't get myself to like the Bismarck beyond it's looks. Whenever I play it, I feel like i'd rather play the Richelieu or the Alsace. Maybe it's the clumsiness of the ship doing anything other than sailing in a straight line, or the lack of torpedoes to make up for the small number of rifles and their awful accuracy/dispersion. That being said, i've heard the FdG isn't any better on that front, and the GK is the ship you really want after the Bismarck.

- Free xp to the Republique. I don't have a tier 10 yet, and the Republique would be my first. That being said, losing a turret from the Alsace might be a deal breaker, especially considering how easy turrets can get knocked out on French BBs (with or without requisite skills). On the other hand, I like playing the Graf Spee, so that similar layout might be something i'd enjoy? Or would it still play differently from the Spee (yes, i'm aware one is a cruiser).

- Free xp a couple tiers from the IJN BB Fuso to the Amagi. I have a bit of a love hate relationship with Japanese BBs. It's not their fragility, their speed is nice. But the low gun count on a lot of the ships have made playing them a pain sometimes. Obviously, the end goal of playing the IJN BB line is the Yamato, but how is the grind from the Amagi to the Yamato in terms of fun factor?

- Free xp out of the Cleveland. I typically play BBs, but when I play cruisers, I like the USN and German cruisers the most. With the cruiser line split, my Cleveland jumped up to t8. While I loved the Cleveland at t6, I absolutely hate it at t8. It just feels too underpowered relative to it's jump in the tier list. That being said, I love super spammy cruisers which are also arsonists, so i'm wondering if it'd be worth it to jump up to the Seattle. (On a side note, is the Helena at T7 worth it? Not for free xp, but a grind to get it as a mess around ship. 15 guns at t7 sounds fun as hell.)

- Free xp out of the New Orleans. On the heavy cruiser side of the USN line, I have the New Orleans, and must say i'm not a fan. I think that's mostly due to the ship/gun layout more than anything else. But the Baltimore has a layout more in common with the Cleveland and a three second faster reload on it's guns. It looks like it'd be a lot more fun than the New Orleans. Would that be worth the jump?

- Free xp out of the Yorck. I hate the Yorck. I absolutely hate the Yorck. I hate it with every fiber of my being. I also love the Nurnberg and the Prinz Eugen I got out of a container. How does the Hipper compare to the Eugen, and is it worth the grind to the Roon and eventually the Hindenburg?

For the record, I basically just play operations and PvE, and would maybe be interested in jumping into randoms at some point (albeit, at lower tiers to get more experience). Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

Members
2,134 posts
8,794 battles

I personally would use the FXP to try out some DD lines. Based on your current list you have yet to play DDs much, if at all, so I would say you should at least try out some of the DD lines and see how you like them. When I started playing I went from BBs to cruisers, then I finally decided to try playing DDs and Ive been a DD main ever since. If you do try DDs and decide you don't like them or just decide not to, I would say go for either Repub or Hindenburg/Roon. Hipper is great but not quite up with the Uegen due to lack of heal but is still a fantastic ship nonetheless 

[-WTP-]
Members
741 posts
3,578 battles
1 hour ago, Nekriist said:

Hey everyone,

I am sitting on a large amount of free xp (at least for me), and am wondering what to free xp through on my ship lines. To start off with, the highest tier ship I have is tier 9, the french BB Alsace. Other than that, I have a bunch of ships at tier 7 and 8 (Cleveland, New Orleans, KGV, Bismarck, Gniesenau, Richelieu, etc.). I can't make up my mind where I should spend my free xp, and was wondering if anyone could maybe give me some advice or suggestions of their own. Here are some of the options I thought about:

- Free xp out of the Bismarck. This ship is a weird one for me. I absolutely -love- the German t7 BBs, as well as the Bayern, but for some reason I can't get myself to like the Bismarck beyond it's looks. Whenever I play it, I feel like i'd rather play the Richelieu or the Alsace. Maybe it's the clumsiness of the ship doing anything other than sailing in a straight line, or the lack of torpedoes to make up for the small number of rifles and their awful accuracy/dispersion. That being said, i've heard the FdG isn't any better on that front, and the GK is the ship you really want after the Bismarck.

- Free xp to the Republique. I don't have a tier 10 yet, and the Republique would be my first. That being said, losing a turret from the Alsace might be a deal breaker, especially considering how easy turrets can get knocked out on French BBs (with or without requisite skills). On the other hand, I like playing the Graf Spee, so that similar layout might be something i'd enjoy? Or would it still play differently from the Spee (yes, i'm aware one is a cruiser).

- Free xp a couple tiers from the IJN BB Fuso to the Amagi. I have a bit of a love hate relationship with Japanese BBs. It's not their fragility, their speed is nice. But the low gun count on a lot of the ships have made playing them a pain sometimes. Obviously, the end goal of playing the IJN BB line is the Yamato, but how is the grind from the Amagi to the Yamato in terms of fun factor?

- Free xp out of the Cleveland. I typically play BBs, but when I play cruisers, I like the USN and German cruisers the most. With the cruiser line split, my Cleveland jumped up to t8. While I loved the Cleveland at t6, I absolutely hate it at t8. It just feels too underpowered relative to it's jump in the tier list. That being said, I love super spammy cruisers which are also arsonists, so i'm wondering if it'd be worth it to jump up to the Seattle. (On a side note, is the Helena at T7 worth it? Not for free xp, but a grind to get it as a mess around ship. 15 guns at t7 sounds fun as hell.)

- Free xp out of the New Orleans. On the heavy cruiser side of the USN line, I have the New Orleans, and must say i'm not a fan. I think that's mostly due to the ship/gun layout more than anything else. But the Baltimore has a layout more in common with the Cleveland and a three second faster reload on it's guns. It looks like it'd be a lot more fun than the New Orleans. Would that be worth the jump?

- Free xp out of the Yorck. I hate the Yorck. I absolutely hate the Yorck. I hate it with every fiber of my being. I also love the Nurnberg and the Prinz Eugen I got out of a container. How does the Hipper compare to the Eugen, and is it worth the grind to the Roon and eventually the Hindenburg?

For the record, I basically just play operations and PvE, and would maybe be interested in jumping into randoms at some point (albeit, at lower tiers to get more experience). Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

My top two recommendations out of this list is to FXP to the Republique if you want it fast, or to free xp out of the Yorck.

Republique is a great ship, you only have eight guns, but they can overmatch 30mm deck armor of some cruisers, and they have a 24 second reload (With adrenaline rush and modules you can get it even down to 15 seconds)

However, the grind to Republique on it's own isn't bad at all. Alsace is a fun ship to grind with.

Hipper is better in some stats compared to Eugen like reload but lacks the heal consumable. They are still pretty similar. Roon and Hindenburg are good end ships that should do you well if you loved the Nurnberg and Prinz Eugen.

I wouldn't recommend FXP'ing through the Bismarck since the next ship, FDG is very similar to it but just bigger.

The IJN BB grind isn't too bad. They still have a good amount of guns that are accurate and hit hard.

I wouldn't also recommend FXP'ing through the Cleveland, because the ship right after it is worse tier-for-tier.

Free xp'ing through New Orleans? idk man. Baltimore was a good ship but if you didn't like New Orleans, gameplay for you in the Baltimore could be a bit unpredictable

[SIDE]
Members
1,419 posts
9,527 battles

My 2 cents says keep the free xp for upgrading stock guns, range etc rather than free xp'ing a ship, especially if you're enjoying the 'grind' through a lower tier ship. Getting to tier 10 isn't really the endgoal of this game. It's more of a static game compared to lower level games. If you want your first T10 ship to see what it's all about, then I guess, go for it. My advice is to hold off, especially on using free xp to get to a higher tier.

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
739 posts
6,256 battles
40 minutes ago, _Rumple_ said:

My 2 cents says keep the free xp for upgrading stock guns, range etc rather than free xp'ing a ship, especially if you're enjoying the 'grind' through a lower tier ship. Getting to tier 10 isn't really the endgoal of this game. It's more of a static game compared to lower level games. If you want your first T10 ship to see what it's all about, then I guess, go for it. My advice is to hold off, especially on using free xp to get to a higher tier.

I second this. Honestly you're too new of a player to be skipping through anything yet. You're selling yourself short on valuable experience, especially since the vast majority of your games are in co-op. If you plan on venturing out into the world of Random battle you're going to be in for a shock. If you are going to play co-op forever you're going to have a very hard time accumulating FXP at the rate of a PvP player and you should treat it as a more valuable resource saving it exclusively for upgrades imo

[WOLFX]
Members
2 posts
1,843 battles

Thank you everyone for your replies! There's a lot of good advice here. I think for the time being, i'll hold onto my FXP then. Thanks again guys.

[PVE]
Members
12,562 posts
8,541 battles
19 hours ago, Nekriist said:

Hey everyone,

Like others have said, I would not Free XP past ships. I would try the ship stock and only FXP the upgrades you need to make ship useable. By grinding out the ships, you can really ramp up your Cmdrs as well. Of course, say you grind out Cleveland to within a 10k or so of getting Seattle, FXPing that little bit is fine. Especially to take advantage of a sale on ships or ship upgrades. A 50% sale on ship upgrades can save you up to 3M credits outfitting a ship. 

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,985 posts
4,867 battles
19 hours ago, Nekriist said:

Hey everyone,

- Be aware that free xp-ing out of the Bismarck, leads you to the tier 9 Freddy the no-so-Great, which is by reputation regarded as a trash BB. If you pick this path be ready to free xp all the Way to Grosser Kurfurst.

- I wouldn't recommend free xp-ing to Republique. The French BB line is great and a lot of fun. Normandie, Lyon, Richelieu, Alsace, are all fun to play. Don't miss out on the rush to get a tier 10. In WoWs the fun is in the journey, rather than the end of the road.

- I wouldn't recommend free xp-ing from Fuso to Amagi. Fuso, Nagato, and Amagi are all great ships and you should enjoy the ride. Instead save that free xp to get past the widely reviled Izumo to Yamato when the time comes.

- Helena is a fun ship, It's a tier 7 Mogami.

- Meh I don't care

- Yes I hated the Yorck too. I approve of free xp-ing to Hipper. Hipper is much better. I actually like Hipper more than Eugen for the better dpm and maneuverability. Yes Eugen has the heal but tbh the Hipper class was already tanky anyway.

-If you play just PvE and operations, everything I just typed doesn't really matter. because bots are stupid, predictable, and can be beaten by the most crap ship in the game if you exploit their behavior. 

[PVE]
Members
12,562 posts
8,541 battles
5 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

-If you play just PvE and operations, everything I just typed doesn't really matter. because bots are stupid, predictable, and can be beaten by the most crap ship in the game if you exploit their behavior. 

This is very true. All ships are good in PvE.

You can play co-op and Randoms at the same time. I would play lower tier random at first, sure. But as long as you remember that you can not be as aggressive in PvP as you can in co-op and that players are much harder to hit, you can do both.