You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Getting the Prinz Eitel Friedrich: a post-hoc analysis of the missions.

14 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
8,073 posts
5,494 battles

Let me preface this by saying that I won the ship on a Twitch stream early in the event, and thus had an inside track to getting it done. So I have the rewards, and can speak from the viewpoint of not being bitter and left out.

However, I think it germane to say a few things about the structure of this task and the barriers in the way of its achievement. I am pretty sure I ground out over 4 million credits last night, beginning at about 7:30pm, but it took till the small hours and that was with cash flags and premium time.

I guess it is possible, if you sacrificed duplicates, to have used Belle Epoque substages to earn premium time over this weekend to just sit down and pound it out, getting 4 million credits in each of six nations. That would leave you enough time to finish Mighty Prinz and Nerves of Steel, and the crates available in Mighty Prinz could fill in for the dupes you had to sacrifice. I had, and still have, things to do and places to go, and sitting down for two continuous days to do nothing but play WOWS was not an option for me; it might be for others. I am very glad to have had the PEF already, reducing that task to two nation grinds.

Last year, I FAILED to complete the Battle of North Cape campaign. I saw the Mission 4 (six stars) requirements:

1. Cause 150K damage to enemy battleships, T5-10BB's, random or ranked only. One star.

2. Break or destroy 3 main battery mounts on enemy ships, in T5-10BB's, random/ranked, one star.

3. Earn Dreadnought, any T5+ ship, 2 stars, Random/ranked.

4. Earn High Calibre, any T5+ ship, 2 stars, Random/ranked

5. Duke of York task.

...and figured I wasn't going to be completing tasks 3 or 4 anytime soon, because the only eligible ships I had were Emerald and Leander (I might have had Fiji by then; I can't remember). I elected to give up at that point and diversify my fleet.

Had it occurred to me that I had the perfect mid-tier non-BB ships with which to try to earn Dreadnought awards I might have gone for it, but I was a noob then and did not appreciate the subtleties. It occurred to me far too late (a year later, LOL) that I had 50,000 free XP from a supercontainer and might thereby have obtained a T5 battleship with which to do tasks 1 and 2, but that subtlety also escaped me (and I recall a lot of forum prejudice at the time against people who FXP'd ships).

Can someone tell me if that was possible back then, with the previous XP requirements? Could I have got to the Iron Duke in one jump, given that I had the RN cruisers to Tier 6 to branch off from? I feel like kicking myself now.

Nevertheless, I still might have done it using only the Leander (and that FXP'd battleship), if I had been clever enough and experienced enough to realise exactly what was being asked of me and how I might have achieved it.

Skip forward one year to the "In the Name Of His Highness" campaign to earn the PEF. Directives 1 to 3 were in their own way far easier, being able to be accomplished in co-op. I might have managed to get that far in just the Leander, although setting fires would have been a severe problem (doable if you get close and get lucky with the secondaries).

However, Directive 4 would have stopped me cold because Directive 4 requires a broad and well-balanced fleet across multiple nations.

It's interesting that a campaign to get a Tier 6 German premium battleship (as she is classified in game) has a more demanding requirement than to get a Tier 7 premium British battleship. I am a bit torn on this. Failing North Cape (or rather, deciding to let it go) made me realise the virtues of a diverse fleet; the PEF campaign would have driven the point home even harder. This was not a task that even a talented single-nation newbie could hope to finish; this was one for people who'd already been in the game for a while. I'm not sure I like that.

• Cool 3

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,360 posts
17 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Let me preface this by saying that I won the ship on a Twitch stream early in the event, and thus had an inside track to getting it done. So I have the rewards, and can speak from the viewpoint of not being bitter and left out.

However, I think it germane to say a few things about the structure of this task and the barriers in the way of its achievement. I am pretty sure I ground out over 4 million credits last night, beginning at about 7:30pm, but it took till the small hours and that was with cash flags and premium time.

I guess it is possible, if you sacrificed duplicates, to have used Belle Epoque substages to earn premium time over this weekend to just sit down and pound it out, getting 4 million credits in each of six nations. That would leave you enough time to finish Mighty Prinz and Nerves of Steel, and the crates available in Mighty Prinz could fill in for the dupes you had to sacrifice. I had, and still have, things to do and places to go, and sitting down for two continuous days to do nothing but play WOWS was not an option for me; it might be for others. I am very glad to have had the PEF already, reducing that task to two nation grinds.

Last year, I FAILED to complete the Battle of North Cape campaign. I saw the Mission 4 (six stars) requirements:

1. Cause 150K damage to enemy battleships, T5-10BB's, random or ranked only. One star.

2. Break or destroy 3 main battery mounts on enemy ships, in T5-10BB's, random/ranked, one star.

5. Duke of York task.

...and figured I wasn't going to be completing tasks 3 or 4 anytime soon, because the only eligible ships I had were Emerald and Leander (I might have had Fiji by then; I can't remember). I elected to give up at that point and diversify my fleet.

Had it occurred to me that I had the perfect mid-tier non-BB ships with which to try to earn Dreadnought awards I might have gone for it, but I was a noob then and did not appreciate the subtleties. It occurred to me far too late (a year later, LOL) that I had 50,000 free XP from a supercontainer and might thereby have obtained a T5 battleship with which to do tasks 1 and 2, but that subtlety also escaped me (anCampaignd I recall a lot of forum prejudice at the time against people who FXP'd ships).

Can someone tell me if that was possible back then, with the previous XP requirements? Could I have got to the Iron Duke in one jump, given that I had the RN cruisers to Tier 6 to branch off from? I feel like kicking myself now.

Nevertheless, I still might have done it using only the Leander (and that FXP'd battleship), if I had been clever enough and experienced enough to realise exactly what was being asked of me and how I might have achieved it.

Skip forward one year to the "In the Name Of His Highness" campaign to earn the PEF. Directives 1 to 3 were in their own way far easier, being able to be accomplished in co-op. I might have managed to get that far in just the Leander, although setting fires would have been a severe problem (doable if you get close and get lucky with the secondaries).

However, Directive 4 would have stopped me cold because Directive 4 requires a broad and well-balanced fleet across multiple nations.

It's interesting that a campaign to get a Tier 6 German premium battleship (as she is classified in game) has a more demanding requirement than to get a Tier 7 premium British battleship. I am a bit torn on this. Failing North Cape (or rather, deciding to let it go) made me realise the virtues of a diverse fleet; the PEF campaign would have driven the point home even harder. This was not a task that even a talented single-nation newbie could hope to finish; this was one for people who'd already been in the game for a while. I'm not sure I like that.

Yup me too:Smile_sad:  Failed   Duke of York  Mission Campaign, Succeeded  Prinz Eitel Friedrich Campaign Mission just because I have a much more diverse line of ships this year:cap_cool:

Edited by shadowsrmine

[4HIM]
Members
2,063 posts
5,526 battles

Doubt I'll even come close.  The first three stages were fairly easy and straightforward.  This last one, not so much.  I'll keep working on grinding credits, but that's because I REALLY need them now.  Pretty much went broke around Christmas buying ships I'd unlocked and stocking up on the discounted modules.  Ended up with less than 30,000 credits once all was said and done.  

But I'm pretty slow in earning credits.  I have the MO Money, but for the life of me I cannot make that thing work.  I actually earn better credits playing the Atlanta than the MO.  So I seriously doubt I'll manage to complete this stage to get the PEF.  

[ARGSY]
Members
8,073 posts
5,494 battles
5 minutes ago, Kevs02Accord said:

I'm interested in, out of the 24 mil credits gross, whats the average net amount? Half, less than half?

It depends on which ship you're playing at which tier, and whether you are doing it the Very Hard Way or the Premium Account And Lots of Flags way. I did it with PEF and Neptune under premium time and PEF keeps a majority of her gross; Neptune kept much less because in order to fit Ocean Soul (100% XP, 20% credits) for the combined credit and XP grind I was doing with her, I had to sacrifice the native permacamo with its combat cost savings.

I kept figures for nett and gross right to the end of the Directive 4 grind; I don't have the energy to analyse them all because all that matters to me is what I'm left with at the end of the day.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,076 posts

I skipped Duke of York because I wasn't going to play that much concentrated PVP in a short amount of time. 

One thing they could have done to make the PEF event less of a struggle for many players, was take out the week gap between the Directives dropping, and just let players grind it out from the moment it started. 

[ARGSY]
Members
8,073 posts
5,494 battles
5 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

One thing they could have done to make the PEF event less of a struggle for many players, was take out the week gap between the Directives dropping, and just let players grind it out from the moment it started. 

I disagree with you about a great many things, but this isn't one of them. 

[NNA]
Members
309 posts
6,811 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

5. Duke of York task.

Had it occurred to me that I had the perfect mid-tier non-BB ships with which to try to earn Dreadnought awards I might have gone for it, but I was a noob then and did not appreciate the subtleties. It occurred to me far too late (a year later, LOL) that I had 50,000 free XP from a supercontainer and might thereby have obtained a T5 battleship with which to do tasks 1 and 2, but that subtlety also escaped me (and I recall a lot of forum prejudice at the time against people who FXP'd ships).

I'm just about done with this event. I purchased the cheapest version of the PEF and put a 13 pt. captain in her. Using LWM's review, I equipped her for AA and secondaries. I then used my coal reserves and purchased 60 Revolutionary camo (+30 credits) and 40 Ocean Soul (+20 credits). I equipped her with Econ flags (No dragon). I do have premium time, but I've only played in Co-op. I managed to fulfill the 5 nation requirement for 4 million using the PEF. It took two nights. As of this moment I have 1 million left to earn for the USA initiative. I've been using the Cleveland with a 19pt captain equipped with Revolutionary camo. I have to say I was getting better scores with the PEF. Today I hope to finish the "In the Name of His Highness" event. Still using the Cleveland, though I'm down to using the Ocean Soul camo.

I completed the Belle Epoque collection and had all but one left with four dupes. Instead of grinding through the DD mission, I purchased one crate and finished it that way. I'm on the last stage of the Nerves of Steel mission and on the final task of the Mighty Prinz campaign. I will most likely have to take a T8 or higher ship into Random and hope I can earn the 1000 base xp and survive the match. :Smile_unsure:

[POD]
Beta Testers
3,307 posts
4,997 battles

one of the reasons i bought her,in the end i got my money back with the doubloons. i didn't need to face such insanity,after some night  grindings,i finished the last directive easily.

Alpha Tester
151 posts
6,383 battles

Although I managed it in two days - I have a fairly well rounded fleet, with premium and put to use the white camo and green flags.

This is consistent with WG's strategy - thing are just so much easier for those who splash a little cash to them, I'm OK with this. They do want to be careful with this - the FTP' ers have already built up some resentment but comparatively look at how gaming has evolved...WG is far from being a serious offender when it comes to being PTW. If you are smart how you use the many free things they throw our way (ie. flags, camo) you can get a lot of premium stuff with spending a single red cent. My case in point - I have the Mushi, Kron, and JB without once having to convert or spend real cash - and over 1M FXP in waiting for Alaska.

Use your crap smart.

[DPG]
Members
1,115 posts
5,402 battles

WG really got my number this time around.  I look at the final directive and I thought this is going to be the most miserable grind.  Then I noticed you could complete the missions in scenarios so I thought, hey this won't be so bad.  Then I saw that the op of the week was RR.  I logged in early that Wednesday morning and fired up the op.  When I looked at the mini-map and noticed 3 ships were chasing after the Zuiho, I knew this was going to suck.  So I opened up the wallet, and bought the PEF.  My justification was getting steel and a ship for the cost of some doubloons.   Then i proceeded to make 1.8 mil credits in two battles with the Cossack.  Oh well, it certainly preserved my sanity.

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
586 posts
1,216 battles

I'm in the same boat you were last year...only have 4 ship lines so not able to complete the 4th directive.  Been playing for 6 months now and that's as far as I've gotten.  I'm actually not that interested in the IJN or RU lines, either, so I never started them as of yet.  I'm also still stuck on the 3rd directive with one task left to complete, with my closest one being to shoot down 100 aircraft, but over the weekend, there hasn't been a CV in sight, especially since I have to be driving a T7 or higher ship, and I stopped my own CV progression at T5.  Oh well, maybe next year.

[HAP-F]
Members
31 posts
3,428 battles

Well I went the route of buying the PEF on the first day it was available. Grinded out the first three directives in about three days each in Co-op when they became available to grind. Finished the last directive last night after completing the UK nation credit grind with the Duke of York and completing the 5 nation one with the PEF on Friday night. I have to say this would have been a harder task to complete without buying the PEF before hand. Also the fuss about the PEF being a bad ship is just not my opinion. She has her positive and negative aspects, but she is a fun ship to play. As for last year, well I did not have the diverse fleet in my port that I do now and also the highest ship back then was the tier 4 German BB Kaiser, before I figured out how to get around the bank restriction of purchasing from the store and got the HSF Graf Spee on the 2nd of January. I hope the next few events that feature a ship is easier that this one was. As for the Belle Epoch collection, I finished that also on Friday night and with about 5+ crates still left to earn. The only thing I want now is the ability to fly 2 special flags on my German ships.

[SFBBW]
Beta Testers
1,084 posts
8,607 battles

For those of you that didn't buy the PEF, and had to grind out six nations separately, you have my heartfelt sympathy. It was enough of a mind-numbing experience, having to play the same ship over and over, to knock out 5 nations at once - if I'd had to do all six nations separately, I'd have probably said to hell with it and told WG what to do with their campaign - online games are supposed to be fun, not like a second job.

Thankfully, for the credit grind, I had about 45 of the "Meritorious Service" camos, over 200 of the Wyvern credit flags, and a ton of the normal economic flags, to knock out the 5 for 1 part with the PEF. For the USA part, two wins and a loss in CB's last night, with the DM, space camo and a Wyvern thrown on, netted enough to knock out half of that 4 million. Nothing else, with the space camo on the DM and normal economic flags, I can usually average around 200K credits in a decent co-op match, to finish it up, or cycle the 19 pointer captain thru all the various USN premiums I have for some variety.

On the bright side, I've played the PEF so much I now have a 44% hit ratio with those bloody guns.....:Smile_facepalm: