You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HMCS_Devilfish

Bluetooth connection?

19 comments in this topic

[ARRGG]
Members
4,832 posts
7,979 battles

Does anyone use a WiFi Bluetooth connection to play Wows instead of a hardwire connection, I’ve been trying it with no access to a hard wire, a speed test shows very good speed up and down but the game seems to lag at times

[ARRGG]
Members
4,832 posts
7,979 battles
3 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I use Bluetooth to control a little drone. It has a bit of a lag.

That’s kinda what I’ve also heard , the download speeds and upload speeds can be awesome but the game needs more than what Bluetooth can deliver 

[PSP]
Members
8,051 posts
19 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

That’s kinda what I’ve also heard , the download speeds and upload speeds can be awesome but the game needs more than what Bluetooth can deliver 

I've read that sometimes a significant delay between the audio of a movie and the lips moving can be seen with some Bluetooth headsets. Now, if you are just listening to audio alone this is OK. It's when you need a rapid response that latency becomes a problem. With my drone I've learned to move the controls a bit early. It's only a problem when I'm about to crash into something. However, the little Tello drone is pretty lightweight and robust and a few bumps don't seem to do it any damage. 

Edited by Snargfargle

[1STBG]
Members
1,164 posts
4,993 battles

Bluetooth is an alternative to wifi, at least in the sense of PC-to-broadband connectivity. It's a local connection. How on earth in 2019 do you not have a wifi router, which is more seamless and more appropriate for gaming?  

[MUG-T]
Members
34 posts
1,067 battles

I connect my PC to my phone for gaming as i get <150ms on it(perfectly acceptable IMO) but on my main satellite internet, its about 500ms only really good for co-op or emergencies (phone disconnects)

Edited by Corvette3

[ARRGG]
Members
4,832 posts
7,979 battles
5 hours ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

Bluetooth is an alternative to wifi, at least in the sense of PC-to-broadband connectivity. It's a local connection. How on earth in 2019 do you not have a wifi router, which is more seamless and more appropriate for gaming?  

Here’s the thing, I do have a WiFi Router and I live in a small community we’re our high speed is not the best at at about 5 MB’s hardwired in, this although not terribly fast does run the Wows game perfectly however

on December 20 we had a big windstorm with many trees down  my Internet speed dropped to 1 MB’s per second which will is the bare minimum to run the game and in fact is usually unplayable most of the time

On a visit to my Daughters I brought my computer which connects to router via Bluetooth a hardwire is not possible we’re I am, the download speeds are incredible At 129mps but it will not game as it should, starts off fine but gets lag after a few minutes of play we’re the FPS drops from 15 to 7 or 8

Members
3,360 posts
1,503 battles

I play all my games now on my home wifi (computer doesn't have ethernet connection).  I have had no problems, but I play next to the receiver/transmitter.

I am travelling this week, I am going to try hotel wifi and my phones hot spot to see how it works.

Members
3,997 posts
6,718 battles

Bluetooth is not made for gaming for there is nothing built in to try and deal with the time component that creates lag. 

• Cool 1

[ADPT2]
Beta Testers
587 posts
1,640 battles
17 hours ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

Does anyone use a WiFi Bluetooth connection to play Wows instead of a hardwire connection, I’ve been trying it with no access to a hard wire, a speed test shows very good speed up and down but the game seems to lag at times

There are two primary components to your internet connection:  bandwidth and latency.  You apparently have good bandwidth through your Bluetooth connection and that's why your upload/download speeds are good.  Latency however, is a measure of the time it takes for a packet to go from point A to point B.  Bluetooth does not have good latency.  I know when I stream music videos on my phone in my vehicle that there is a very noticeable delay between where the video is at and where the audio I'm hearing is at.  Because of that, I don't think Bluetooth is a viable option for gaming on at this point in time.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,832 posts
7,979 battles
Just now, _HatTrick_ said:

There are two primary components to your internet connection:  bandwidth and latency.  You apparently have good bandwidth through your Bluetooth connection and that's why your upload/download speeds are good.  Latency however, is a measure of the time it takes for a packet to go from point A to point B.  Bluetooth does not have good latency.  I know when I stream music videos on my phone in my vehicle that there is a very noticeable delay between where the video is at and where the audio I'm hearing is at.  Because of that, I don't think Bluetooth is a viable option for gaming on at this point in time.

Your right , your stats if you care about such things will suffer doing it for any length of time .. not exactly fair to the team also

[WOLF5]
Members
471 posts
8,012 battles

bluetooth used to connect controllers,maybe audio,,, not for internet ....if you are using a usb wifi adapter(dongle) that's perfectly capable (most of them )for low latency  gaming,,if not too far from the access point,,

Edited by VonSmallHausenn

[ARRGG]
Members
4,832 posts
7,979 battles
7 minutes ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

Are you sure you are connecting bluetooth ??? Not a Wi-fi dongle ? ??

What’s a WiFi dongle?..it connects just like my cell phone

[WOLF5]
Members
471 posts
8,012 battles
Just now, HMCS_Devilfish said:

What’s a WiFi dongle?..it connects just like my cell phone

yeah,,,i think you just mixed up wifi and bluetooth. You have a usb stick,that connects to the router-access point,,? thats not bluetooth,,but wifi . big difference in speed and latency. Most likely you not gonna have problems,,if your ingame ping acceptable you good to go... 

[ARRGG]
Members
4,832 posts
7,979 battles
11 hours ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

yeah,,,i think you just mixed up wifi and bluetooth. You have a usb stick,that connects to the router-access point,,? thats not bluetooth,,but wifi . big difference in speed and latency. Most likely you not gonna have problems,,if your ingame ping acceptable you good to go... 

First there’s the router at my house that does have a hardwire Ethernet connection this has been severely degraded because of damage to the line somewhere between my house and the server about 2k away, it will be fixed in February 

So took my computer to my Daughters place in the big city of Vancouver unfortunately I can not connect my computer hardwire through USB or Ethernet connection directly to the router there but it can connect with Bluetooth but I think it’s now official that even though the connection on Bluetooth there is 100 times  faster than my damaged setup st home it will not play the game for any length of time much better,I suppose the game requires to much data and with Bluetooth your always playing catch up

[WOLF5]
Members
471 posts
8,012 battles
1 hour ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

First there’s the router at my house that does have a hardwire Ethernet connection this has been severely degraded because of damage to the line somewhere between my house and the server about 2k away, it will be fixed in February 

So took my computer to my Daughters place in the big city of Vancouver unfortunately I can not connect my computer hardwire through USB or Ethernet connection directly to the router there but it can connect with Bluetooth but I think it’s now official that even though the connection on Bluetooth there is 100 times  faster than my damaged setup st home it will not play the game for any length of time much better,I suppose the game requires to much data and with Bluetooth your always playing catch up

just saying,it`s not bluetooth, not that it`s matters. Regular wifi connection between router and your pc /laptop. Wifi is the wireless internet connection between components. Bluetooth not really  used for such a thing ?(possible,but why would you ?) Every single hardware that requires internet connection, phones, smart tv, etc, connects to the network with wifi wirelessly,,or thru a lan port with cable(ethernet). Just wanna make things clear up for future references. I know it`s not helping......sorry for that. And if you are happen to be using a bluetooth device for internet connection(?),,you should switch to wifi,as bluetooth is a low bandwidth wireless protocol,,,  

Edited by VonSmallHausenn

[INTEL]
Members
1,031 posts
9,184 battles

You're never going to get Bluetooth to perform well enough to play WoW reliably.  At best Bluetooth 2.1 has <1Mbps bandwidth and a 2Mbps bitrate.  Compared to WiFi with up to 100Mbps bandwidth and a typical 600Mbps bitrate.  And Wifi has inherently better latency.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,832 posts
7,979 battles
7 hours ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

just saying,it`s not bluetooth, not that it`s matters. Regular wifi connection between router and your pc /laptop. Wifi is the wireless internet connection between components. Bluetooth not really  used for such a thing ?(possible,but why would you ?) Every single hardware that requires internet connection, phones, smart tv, etc, connects to the network with wifi wirelessly,,or thru a lan port with cable(ethernet). Just wanna make things clear up for future references. I know it`s not helping......sorry for that. And if you are happen to be using a bluetooth device for internet connection(?),,you should switch to wifi,as bluetooth is a low bandwidth wireless protocol,,,  

Your right and it’s got more to do with me being not to tech savvy and not explaining myself well, I do have a WiFi connection this does not work well even though it’s got great up and down speeds, if hardwired in to the router all is good

• Cool 1