Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

40 comments in this topic

Members
15 posts
310 battles

hello. brand new to WoW here. i have played less than 15 battles both in co-op and random mode. rather than just continue going through the motions and not understanding what is going on, i am hoping to get some useful instruction before wandering aimlessly any more than i have so far.

for the record, i have played over 25K battles in World of Tank and i am trying to find the similarities between the two games' functions and/or battle screen info.

i have searched high and low for basic... repeat.... BASIC information on how to aim. the videos i have found seem to talk over the head of someone with my level of understanding. which is quite limited. and the in-game tutorials are pretty lame from what i have seen so far. as far as third-party tutorials, on You Tube for example, the narrator goes too fast again assuming a greater level of knowledge than a complete new player would be expected to have. one even starts out by saying the in-game reticles are inadequate and recommends installing a modpack. i mean, really? lol

i can't even find what button to push to set a smoke screen in the likely event that someday when i've got half of a clue i will want to try setting one. are smoke screens consummables? where are they shown?

sorry for a bit of a rant but i am frustrated and find basic training info severely lacking. i've conducted training seminars and taught classes myself IRL related to my career in engineering and find it amusing that it's so difficult to find useful basic training here.

thank you

Edited by UnturnedLeaf
clarification
  • Cool 7
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Members
851 posts
5,257 battles

If you have played over 25k battles how could you not know how to use a consumable ? hmm maybe I fell for the bait especially where you say someone suggests using a MOD for crosshair when a lot of CC

s say to use dynamic if your new hmmmm.

[SYN]
Members
14,854 posts
11,307 battles

The aiming is similar to WoT. You lock on to a target and then all you have to do is guess lead. The game will figure out range for.you.

The consumables are similar to WoT, but simpler

Lockon is automatic, but you can hit X to manually lock on or switch targets.

Edited by MrDeaf

[HYDRO]
Members
2,236 posts
4,191 battles

While 2 years old, I would recommend taking a look at this. Regardless of tutorials however, aiming comes with experience so don't be disappointed if you are inaccurate at first. Different ships have different shell velocities, same as in WoT, so this should also be taken into account.

There is also a difference between static (the ones used on the above vide) and dynamic crosshair.

Hope it helps.

• Cool 1

Members
15 posts
310 battles
19 minutes ago, khorender_1 said:

If you have played over 25k battles how could you not know how to use a consumable ? hmm maybe I fell for the bait especially where you say someone suggests using a MOD for crosshair when a lot of CC

where did i say i had over 25K battles in World of WARSHIPS? lol if you are here to troll others, please spare me. thank you

[WORX]
Members
2,558 posts
13,909 battles
1 minute ago, UnturnedLeaf said:

where did i say i had over 25K battles in World of WARSHIPS?

He did not specify. HOWEVER, I have over 13k battles but if I change to WOWP or WOT. I would at least know by looking a settings, where all my buttons are... So in order to help since we dont know you.... SOme things are universal I think that is what he was trying to convey

[S0L0]
Members
270 posts
6,033 battles
33 minutes ago, UnturnedLeaf said:

I can't even find what button to push to set a smoke screen in the likely event that someday when i've got half of a clue i will want to try setting one. are smoke screens consummables? where are they shown? 

Only DDs, and the British (and commonwealth) cruisers have access to smoke. There's a few odd exceptions, but that's the general rule. A DD would sometimes drop smoke to aid his team mates as well.
PS: if you're playing a destroyer don't ever sit in smoke, that's how you'll blind your team and end up being a easy target to be hit with torpedoes.

Welcome to World of Warships! Have fun!

[NTF]
[NTF]
Members
4 posts
1,301 battles

Like warheart said, you have to lead your target and different ships fire shells at different speeds. It's all a matter of practicing and soon you'll get the grasp of things. I really wish they make training rooms available at lower levels instead of level 15 for this specific purpose.

Also, not every ship has a smokescreen consumable. At the lower tiers, you'd only really find them on destroyers anyway. They also get the engine boost consumable. Battleships get a self-heal, and all ships get Damage Control to put out fires/stop flooding instantly. Check out the "Modules" tab in your port and you can see what you have.

I know it shows you what buttons are which on the bottom of your screen.  Additionally I'd suggest messing around with your options, especially turning on "Alternative battle interface mode" to Full. You can see the class of ship and their HP above their heads at all times.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,791 posts
2,493 battles

In battle, the key to activate every consumable is....labeled under that consumable!

Aiming is simple in theory, harder in practice. Lock on and then lead. You have to lead much more than in WOT. You can use the shell flight time and distance markers on the crosshair to get a more numerical value for how to lead, but I imagine most of us here just lead by instinct that comes from a lot of practice.

[BNKR]
Members
1,042 posts
994 battles

Notser has some pretty good tutorials on aiming and consumable usage. Flamu harps on positioning and consumable usage, but might be better for intermediate players.

Edit: If you watch Flamu, check out his replay analysis stuff. 

Edited by RagingxMarmoset

[-GDP-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,578 posts
1,064 battles

If you play TD then you be familiar with leading shots especially those annoying light tanks. Battleships plays more like the Jagdpanzer E 100, make sure every shot count due to their long reloads. There are some BB with quick firings guns but they can’t deal with more heavily armour battleships. And remember watch out for torpedoes !!! 

Also be careful of He spammers, they are typical cruisers ships because they whine and nag at WG that their guns can’t do a thing to battleships due to no gold shells here so WG gave those HE shells burning damage so make sure your capatain has fire fighting abiliaties which minus 10% getting fires or stay at range with battleships. 

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
1,617 posts
2,633 battles

Warships is similar to tanks, but not exact match. The classes are WAY more rock paper scissors. In wot a light tank can take on a heavy pretty easily. In wows, a cruiser is going to have a very uphill battle trying to take on a battleship. Of course it's not impossible by any means, just a lot harder.

Aiming is simple. Just make sure your locked on (circle around the player name. X key if not locked) and guess lead. If they are going away from you aim a but high, and low for them coming at you. Aiming is something you learn. You may not realize it but you pick up soft skills as you play a game. No new player can snapshot easily in world of tanks. Same goes for here. No new player can peg a destroyer 15km away. Keep at it!

In terms of playing, my best advice to a new guy is pick a class, then a nation, and jump right in. For class, I highly recommend battleships. Long reload but good avg damage and very forgiving. DDs are probably the toughest on new guys. If you do carriers, dont play them till next patch. They are getting a major overhaul (take the arty rebalance in wot and make it 10x more different)

Oh, and for smokescreens. Different types of ships have different consumables. Battleships cant set smokescreens and destroyers cant heal (exceptions of course). There is a plethora of consumables, specific usually to a type or types of ship. The only consumable all ships get is damage control party. It's nothing like wot where you can pick and chose whatever 3 you want. There is a few options (radar vs aa), but mostly it's what the ship gets, it gets

Hope this helps. Add me if ya want to. Always free to division tier 2-10. If you are playing Battleships or have any questions about em, message me (in game or here). They're all I play and I've played probably 95% of the BBs in the game. 

[-GDP-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,578 posts
1,064 battles

Actually I think cruisers are the most forgiving, they have short reloads so if their aim is bad than they can adjust. They can also HP spam to start fires so no aiming at ship parts is required. I think they are the easiest class to play.  

• Funny 1

[LEGIT]
Members
1,480 posts
22,948 battles

Just be sure to use the dynamic sight instead of the standard.  It'll save you 1000's of games of frustration.

[FML]
Members
2,129 posts
11,212 battles
5 hours ago, UnturnedLeaf said:

hello. brand new to WoW here. i have played less than 15 battles both in co-op and random mode. rather than just continue going through the motions and not understanding what is going on, i am hoping to get some useful instruction before wandering aimlessly any more than i have so far.

for the record, i have played over 25K battles in World of Tank and i am trying to find the similarities between the two games' functions and/or battle screen info.

i have searched high and low for basic... repeat.... BASIC information on how to aim. the videos i have found seem to talk over the head of someone with my level of understanding. which is quite limited. and the in-game tutorials are pretty lame from what i have seen so far. as far as third-party tutorials, on You Tube for example, the narrator goes too fast again assuming a greater level of knowledge than a complete new player would be expected to have. one even starts out by saying the in-game reticles are inadequate and recommends installing a modpack. i mean, really? lol

i can't even find what button to push to set a smoke screen in the likely event that someday when i've got half of a clue i will want to try setting one. are smoke screens consummables? where are they shown?

sorry for a bit of a rant but i am frustrated and find basic training info severely lacking. i've conducted training seminars and taught classes myself IRL related to my career in engineering and find it amusing that it's so difficult to find useful basic training here.

thank you

Hi, welcome to WoWS!

Some quick answers to your immediate questions, but further (general) information I've provided below might be of assistance to you.  The WoWS community tends to be quite a bit friendlier than WoT, particularly if you come to the forums with particular questions seeking help.  Still, nothing beats experience, so get out there and have fun! 

Immediate Questions

• As a former WoT player, there are limited similarities between WoWS and WoT.  Different vehicle types have different roles (outlined below).  The economy in WOWS is much more forgiving; as a free-to-play player, you are unlikely to hit a real credit crunch until you try buying your first T8 ship.  There is no side-scraping or peek-a-boom, as ships take too long to accelerate and slow down - but islands can be both a saviour in the form of a shield, and death in the form of super-close ambush strikes.  
  • Some Youtube videos from iChase's Captains Academy regarding aiming - hit pause if they are going too fast.  
  • Smoke is a consumable that is not available to all ships.  Virtually all Destroyers have a smoke consumable, and some cruisers (particularly British light cruisers).  You can activate the smoke consumable by pressing T or Y when you have a ship with the relevant consumable - but these buttons will do other things in other ships (eg, battleships might heal, or cruisers might start using a sonar) - so it depend on the ship.  There are little icons at the bottom of the screen to help. 

Roles of Ship Types

Just like in WoT, not all ships have the some role.  Conceptually, the ship types - in a very general sense, with exceptions - fall into the following roles:

• Destroyers (DDs): Stealthy ninjas - they use their speed and concealment to set up ambush attacks on enemy capital ships with their torpedos, and they use their fast firing but low damage guns against other destroyers. 
    • Note: some DDs are better at killing enemy dds (like American DDs), and others are better at killing enemy capital ships with torpedos (like Japanese DDs) - this national flavour is common to this game, and you'll have to learn this as you go. 
  • Cruisers (CA/CLs): High damage-per-minute and accurate guns, but very squishy (ie, easy to kill) ships - their fast firing and moderate damage guns wreck destroyers and can put serious hurt into battleships if they are left unmolested... they are extremely vulnerable to enemy battleship guns in particular as they have no effective armour - instead, they must use hard cover (like islands) and smoke screens (including those deployed by friendly destroyers) to stay alive long enough to bring their firepower onto the enemy - caught out in the open, they do a lot of dying. 
    • Cruisers are possibly the hardest conventional class to do well in. 
    • CA = Heavy Cruiser (ie, armed wuth 8 inch guns or higher), and CLs = Light Cruiser (ie, armed with 6 inch guns or smaller). 
  • Battleships (BBs): High Alpha, usually low-ish damage per minute ships that can strike from  relatively long range - they are less accurate than cruisers, but by late tiers you dont really feel the difference. They have high hitpoints, and strong armour, but that does not make you immune to damage - torpedos, fires and battleship guns can all bring you down.  As you tend to be slow and not agile, make sure you are always near teammates in cruisers and destroyers who can help you screen faster/lighter enemies away from you.  
  • Aircraft carriers (CVs): A completely different style of play, more like an RTS like Command&Conquer than the FPS of the other styles - at least until the next patch, when a major CV re-work drops bigger than the Arty changes in WoT.  Dominance of the air means that you can spot enemy ships, use dive bombers or torpedo bombers to attack enemy ships, and use your fighters to protect friendly ships from enemy carrier attacks.  
    • Carriers have a massively disproportionate impact on your team's chances of winning - do badly, and you'll keep losing.

Once you have a few more battles under your belt, I strongly encourage you to read the following: 

Suggested Starting Lines

For new players, I recommend the following as easy to learn and to play: 

•  Destroyers: American destroyers are the easiest to play - their fast firing guns, and torpedoes on both sides (at low tier) means that its a fast, fun run-and-gun style, with great smoke screens.  They are very forgiving - rush in, gun enemy destroyers, and if you win and live, then rush up to a battleship and shove him up with torps... once you get more experience, you can do all of those things better, faster, longer etc. 
  • Cruisers: French cruisers are probably the easiest to play at low-mid tiers. Load HE, shoot slow targets at near your max range to set them on fire - when they repair those fires, set more.  Dodge incoming shells (particularly from battleships) by slamming into full reverse and throwing the rudder over into a hard turn - then accelerate away again before the next salvo comes.  Use your long-range torpedos to shoot down narrow alleys where the enemy is coming from - sometimes you'll get a hit, and it'll be great. More fires!
    • DO NOT start on the British Cruiser line - these ships take detailed understanding and experience of the game mechanics in order to play; things like target selection, map positioning, map awareness, spotting mechanics, AP bounce and shatter mechanics, smoke screens, fire detection range in smoke, sonar and torpedo aim all to be functional. Experienced players even struggle with this line.  Steer clear.  
  • Battleships: 
    • British: These are sturdy battleships that have excellent HE direct damage and high fire chance - unlike most battleships, shooting HE at things will make them go boom. Because of that, and because they have decent armour protection generally, these battleships are easy to learn: aim well, and profit. 
    • German: Much stronger armour, but wonky/inaccurate main guns - you'll mostly be shooting AP shells at enemy battleships and cruisers.  However, your battleships have good to excellent secondary battery (particularly from Tier 7) and are a defining feature of the line.  Because they are meant to be played up close to the enemy, these ships are easier to aim, take solid damage, and encourage your team to push the capture point you're currently on, helping to win games. 
  • Aircraft carriers: Personally, I suggest avoiding them entirely for now - they are very different to play and hard to do well at (and carriers have a massively disproportionate impact on your team's chances of winning - do badly, and you'll keep losing).  Whilst the first American Carrier, Langley, is the best at Tier 4, the Japanese (IJN) tech tree carriers from Tier 5 and up are superior to massively superior to their American carriers (for no historical reason). 

Good luck!

• Cool 2

[FML]
Members
2,129 posts
11,212 battles
2 hours ago, slokill_1 said:

Just be sure to use the dynamic sight instead of the standard.  It'll save you 1000's of games of frustration.

This is the most important single piece of advice re: aiming.  

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,900 posts
4,248 battles
2 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

people say that but ive always just used the lead time and eyeballed , with good results. maybe thats because its how ive always done it.

• Cool 1

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,844 posts
6,889 battles
2 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I wouldn‘t call it the most important one, it heavily depends on what your approach to aiming is. There are two basic paths to aiming, a mathmatical one, and an intuitive one.

The numbers on your crosshair represent the lead time to a ship sailing 30kn, if that applies to all crosshairs, idk, but at least some do. So when you know the shell travel time and estimate the speed you can use that to land shells. Advantage being that it‘s fairly easy to learn and to apply across basically every ship, but the procedure still takes around 1-2 seconds to apply when you got used to it, so those half-a-second snapshots are basically impossible.

The intuitive way takes practice, and relies on the player getting used to the shells and getting a feeling for where to aim. As you can imagine it‘s far more difficult to learn, but in exchange you can get a proper target lead much faster and pull of snapshots across the map semi-reliably.

[FML]
Members
2,129 posts
11,212 battles
9 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

I wouldn‘t call it the most important one, it heavily depends on what your approach to aiming is. There are two basic paths to aiming, a mathmatical one, and an intuitive one.

The numbers on your crosshair represent the lead time to a ship sailing 30kn, if that applies to all crosshairs, idk, but at least some do. So when you know the shell travel time and estimate the speed you can use that to land shells. Advantage being that it‘s fairly easy to learn and to apply across basically every ship, but the procedure still takes around 1-2 seconds to apply when you got used to it, so those half-a-second snapshots are basically impossible.

The intuitive way takes practice, and relies on the player getting used to the shells and getting a feeling for where to aim. As you can imagine it‘s far more difficult to learn, but in exchange you can get a proper target lead much faster and pull of snapshots across the map semi-reliably.

I understand what you're saying, but my aim and performance generally made a huge leap forward when I moved to the dynamic crosshair.  And you can still do the accurate snap shot using dynamic because you still get an intuitive feel for the aim and the shells etc - except you can nail precise shots using maths if you want to as well.  The way I see it, dynamic means you can more quickly aim reliable shots, and your intution can still grow over time, so its the best of both worlds.

But to each, their own.  

[_-_]
Members
1,576 posts
5 hours ago, slokill_1 said:

^ This. I majorly improved my hit rate when I first switched to dynamic, particularly when using spotter aerial view.

Members
1 post
225 battles
8 hours ago, TheRedFox8 said:

Como o warheart disse, você tem que liderar seu alvo e naves diferentes disparam em diferentes velocidades. É tudo uma questão de praticar e logo você terá a noção das coisas. Eu realmente gostaria que eles disponibilizassem salas de treinamento em níveis inferiores ao invés do nível 15 para este propósito específico.

Além disso, nem todo navio tem um consumível de cortina de fumaça. Nos níveis mais baixos, você realmente só os encontraria em destruidores de qualquer maneira. Eles também recebem o consumo do motor. Os navios de guerra recebem uma auto-cura, e todos os navios recebem o Controle de Danos para apagar incêndios / parar de inundar instantaneamente. Confira a guia "Módulos" na sua porta e você pode ver o que você tem.

Eu sei que mostra o que os botões são que na parte inferior da tela. Além disso, eu sugeriria mexer nas suas opções, especialmente ativando o "Modo de interface de batalha alternativa" como Completo. Você pode ver a classe de navio e seu HP acima de suas cabeças em todos os momentos.

Me ajudou......obrigado.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,829 posts
5,447 battles

Welcome I hope all of these posts help.  If not I am sure people would be more then happy to div up with you.

Members
3,978 posts
6,700 battles
13 hours ago, khorender_1 said:

hmm maybe I fell for the bait especially where you say someone suggests using a MOD for crosshair when a lot of CC

I found static to be far better at the lower tiers where the fastest ships do 20 or so knots since the static is calibrated to 20 knots.  When I got to the higher tiers where the average speed is far closer to 30 knots, then dynamic became mandatory.

Members
15 posts
310 battles

hello, i'm back and still supremely frustrated trying to understand what is being explained. the use of terms, without explaining these terms properly causes the exercise to be futile. 

i quit WoW after my last attempt to understand things because it was too frustrating and not enjoyable. in WoT it took me so long to understand the game mechanics that i dug myself into a stat hole so big that by the time i understood some basics i'd relegated myself into being a tomato for all time. i'd prefer to fully understand the basics here before i go too far. 

the terms used in the tutorials assumes the student knows WAY more than he does; or at least than i do. sorry, i'm not stupid and in fact an english major with years of professional experience in industry. i was actually an instructor in my industry and well-respected for my ability to teach others. coming down to their level was my expertise. something i've not found at all around here. 

thank you to those of you who offered positive assistance and i apologize for being so hard to teach. i am hoping to find someone who can speak to me while looking at the same things and allow a verbal conversation. free beer for anyone willing to take the time for me. 

[SIM]
Members
1,418 posts

Sadly the tutorials that WG puts out are horrible. I found them useless when i 1st started here. If you would like a hand , give a yell if you see me online. I will be happy to assist you with any problems you are having. I don't use a mic ( sorry ) but, i have walked many thru this game already.

Sign in to follow this