You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
1Sherman

Secondaries Mod 2 or Aiming Systems Mod 1 for the Bismarck?

24 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
5,501 posts
2,625 battles

Essentially, the title. I've been thinking about going back to using Aiming Systems Mod 1, but I'm not sure if it's the right call. On one hand, I've found that Aiming Systems Mod 1 makes my main guns substantially more accurate at ranges beyond my secondaries, and my highest damage game in the Bismarck to date came with it equipped. On the other hand, the German BBs are all about those secondaries: If the Space Battles taught me anything, it's that the GK's secondaries are literally perfect. I'm just not sure if it's the right move.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,092 posts
13,547 battles

Depends on whether you're intending to spend time at close range and die often, or long range and be ineffective. I'd go for sec mod, I've got plenty of accurate ships; that's not what I drive Bismarck or Tirpitz for.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1

[TXP]
Members
510 posts
5,830 battles

Secondaries are more fun to use IMO,the choice is really between making a strength better or trying to improve a weakness.

[1STBG]
Members
1,155 posts
4,904 battles

7% reduced dispersion isn't anything to write home about.  If it were something like 20% it would be different, but at 7% I'd rather have fun with the secondary range. Plus it comes in handy for those "hit x times with secondaries" missions. 

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
1,625 posts
2,633 battles

With German BBs, you can build for secondaries or for main battery. Yes, main battery might net you more damage, but no other nation (except massachusetts) has the secondary range Germany has. 

I'd go secondaries no question. Germany is hands down the best secondary BB nation. You might as well have some fun

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,795 posts
12,157 battles

I'd go main battery.  They are going to do your bread and butter damage.

Alpha Tester
352 posts
8,323 battles
21 minutes ago, neptunes_wrath said:

mIxQz9l.gif

Outstanding.

Members
171 posts
4,998 battles

You're a battleship. You're first priority should always be to make your main guns as accurate as possible. You aren't worth anything to the team if you can't hit when it matters. 

[ARP2]
Members
1,319 posts
3,614 battles

Do you have a captain that can make use of manual secondaries skill?  Get the secondaries module.

If not, get aiming systems mod 1 till you have a captain that can use manual secondaries, then swap to the secondaries module.

As a final option, save the demounting fee (if you dont like paying them) and just mount the secondaries module.

Members
1,850 posts
3,784 battles
2 hours ago, _1204_ said:

With German BBs, you can build for secondaries or for main battery. Yes, main battery might net you more damage, but no other nation (except massachusetts) has the secondary range Germany has. 

I'd go secondaries no question. Germany is hands down the best secondary BB nation. You might as well have some fun

*Drops baguette*  Fromage,  sir!  You forget the French!

[PT8TO]
[PT8TO]
Members
359 posts
13,535 battles
2 hours ago, neptunes_wrath said:

mIxQz9l.gif

I can't help but read it in Sean Connery's voice. :Smile_veryhappy:

[MOH]
Members
437 posts
1,703 battles
7 hours ago, 1Sherman said:

Essentially, the title. I've been thinking about going back to using Aiming Systems Mod 1, but I'm not sure if it's the right call. On one hand, I've found that Aiming Systems Mod 1 makes my main guns substantially more accurate at ranges beyond my secondaries, and my highest damage game in the Bismarck to date came with it equipped. On the other hand, the German BBs are all about those secondaries: If the Space Battles taught me anything, it's that the GK's secondaries are literally perfect. I'm just not sure if it's the right move.

Despite what others have said, ASM1 works just fine with a secondary build.  I run ASM1/MBM3 on my Friedrich and SBM2/SBM3 on my Kurfurst, so this answer is coming from experience and direct comparison.  And here's why:

1. Any target that comes within 11.3km, especially battleships, almost always (~99%) comes within 9.9km (or whatever your range is with ASM1 vs SBM2). 
  2. The dispersion difference between ASM1/MS/Flag and SBM2/MS/Flag is pretty minor when you do the final math.  In fact, the dispersion you get at 11.3km with SBM2 is the same you would get at 9.6km with ASM1.
  3. Accuracy >>>> Range for secondary builds.

All-in-all, ASM1 weighs more towards your main battery performance, which is just fine for a secondary build as long as you're running MS and Flag.  Your secondaries will still be fearsome within 9.9km, trust me.

Edited by Ranari

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,952 posts
7,285 battles
7 hours ago, 1Sherman said:

Full secondary build or bust!

[SPCU]
Members
556 posts
4,721 battles

If you want accurate main guns play ijn or usn... km is secondaries or bust for sure.

Alpha Tester
5,501 posts
2,625 battles
7 hours ago, _1204_ said:

no other nation (except massachusetts) has the secondary range Germany has. 

I've seen the French BBs get their secondaries out pretty far.

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,237 posts
4,116 battles
15 hours ago, neptunes_wrath said:

mIxQz9l.gif

You, sir, just won the interwebs

[STAR]
Members
2,954 posts
8,064 battles

I use main battery mod. Your guns are your main source of damage, secundaries are situational damage. 

[NG-NL]
Members
5,339 posts
8,962 battles

Secondary if you like in-your-face. Otherwise a small buff to MB accuracy.

However, you'll want MS at minimum if want secondaries to be reliable. My GK has the secondary module since MS on that captain, and can tell you that has been a nasty surprise to anyone getting too close!