You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ericson38

Why does WG not explain how to control airplanes ?

21 comments in this topic

[KRAK]
Members
855 posts
11,064 battles

With all the negative feedback on the carrier rework (hundreds of posts), why doesn't WG explain how to actually control these airplanes during an attack ? I can torp ships, but not fire rockets or drop bombs anywhere close to where they should go.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,315 posts
9,621 battles

They don't explain any ship when you come down to it.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,939 posts
10,402 battles

LOL

It is WASD, use the consumable to speed up planes/re call fighter. Once you reach your target your reticle is focus in, then abuse mouse button, it that easy. WG simple down the control

23 minutes ago, Ericson38 said:

why doesn't WG explain how to actually control these airplanes during an attack

[KRAK]
Members
855 posts
11,064 battles

Up and down(W-S) are throttle or altitude ? Seems like both sometimes.

Can you overfly directly over a ship at safe altitude though ? Can you control altitude at all ?

Sometimes W takes engine into red, so overspeed ?

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,640 posts
8,499 battles
46 minutes ago, Ericson38 said:

but not fire rockets or drop bombs anywhere close to where they should go.

This has been an issue since the beta testing that the aimpoints were off, that they never seemed to fix if anything they made it worse, so, could be this, haven't tried PTS 2 to see where it's at, granted it doesn't seem like they care and are intent on pushing the release regardless of the damage it can do.

[GWG]
[GWG]
16,315 posts
9,621 battles
33 minutes ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

LOL

It is WASD, use the consumable to speed up planes/re call fighter. Once you reach your target your reticle is focus in, then abuse mouse button, it that easy. WG simple down the control

You use the mouse for finer control.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,939 posts
10,402 battles
10 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

You use the mouse for finer control.

i learns how to combination-ing WASD hack and mouse

[WOLF7]
Members
10,359 posts
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

This is the disconnect between WG's wished for player base, and the player base that actually exists.....:Smile_glasses:

[VVV]
Members
372 posts
2,351 battles

There is a tutorial, though. But thats just the basics.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
16,315 posts
9,621 battles
3 minutes ago, AtlanticRim said:

There is a tutorial, though. But thats just the basics.

True but functionally CV's are still in testing. I doubt they want to make a tutorial and then have to change it.

[KRAK]
Members
855 posts
11,064 battles

True but functionally CV's are still in testing. I doubt they want to make a tutorial and then have to change it.

Well, this is the PTS where they want testing. So I was planning on it, but I'm pretty sure I'm not running these planes-CVs through all their features and functions.

[GWG]
[GWG]
16,315 posts
9,621 battles
3 minutes ago, Ericson38 said:

Well, this is the PTS where they want testing. So I was planning on it, but I'm pretty sure I'm not running these planes-CVs through all their features and functions.

They are coming to the live server with 8.0 later this month for further testing.

[KRAK]
Members
855 posts
11,064 battles

T6 IJN CV, planes very unsteady left and right once you are about 10 km out, almost like balancing on a ball bearing. On final with left mouse held down, not so bad. But otherwise, disorientation deluxe.

[-GDP-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,242 posts
719 battles

They did explain it when I first login to PTS round 1.

[O-O-O]
Members
7 posts

It is my humble opinion that the control of planes is on par with driving wheeled vehicles in War Thunder... horrible on a good day, game breaking on a bad, utterly the wrong input setup, output is less than precise or responsive and leaves you basically in the position of a DUI driving having a bowel movement simultaneously with having a heart attack in head-on traffic on a Chinese highway... or, in simple terms, not good.

[FYL]
Alpha Tester
145 posts
12,601 battles

The controls are explained in the 8.0 pts posts.. There are not too many.

I found the controls adequate and the aimpoints seemed fair. Remember these are ww2 planes, if you don't have any flight sim/flying experience then sure it could be odd. 

W+s control speed by means of boost or brake, The boost makes sense since many of these planes had switchable forced induction which would eventually overheat the engine... The limited braking makes a bit less sense but one could view it as stall prevention; imagine the anger if you could your planes into the ocean.... Lols. 

Most of my fears of the update seem unfounded as far as gameplay goes. The goal they stated was to stop BAD players from ruining battles by not doing their(very potent) job. Now you must be a vwry GOOD player to make significant influence. Wp wg. 

[-TXT-]
Members
50 posts
8,601 battles

I hate to say this but it's not an issue with them not telling us how to play them but a failure to actually read the instructions they gave you..... the first time you join a game with the new CVs there is a big black screen that everyone closed out because they were in too much of a rush to get into battle than the read the ..... instructions 

[KRAK]
Members
855 posts
11,064 battles

I read through them and have actually had some [accidentally] successful torp runs, but flying on a controlled course from CV to enemy is very hard, planes wag left and right on their own. Get too close to edge of map and planes get into a 360 loiter for a while on their own.

Flight's course settles down when left mouse pressed on attack run, but then, can't steer lead planes left or right very much to set up advance lead properly. Goes from real unstable in flight to almost no rudder control on final.

Have even changed my mouse controls around for different sensitivity.

Only thing that I can think of is my constant internet delay of 320ms, due to satellite connection (remote location on the Bay).

[WULUF]
Members
842 posts

Maybe they don't know, this whole rework has been a "learn as we add it" experience for them...

So maybe they are waiting for a "zoom zoom" expert to teach them....

IN REALITY... they won't tell you X because once they start rebalancing it, X may not apply anymore.

That is the harsh reality when even the devs are not sure of what they are doing... (sorry, but its the truth... they DON'T... its a WIP)

[WULUF]
Members
842 posts
5 hours ago, Ericson38 said:

I read through them and have actually had some [accidentally] successful torp runs, but flying on a controlled course from CV to enemy is very hard, planes wag left and right on their own. Get too close to edge of map and planes get into a 360 loiter for a while on their own.

Flight's course settles down when left mouse pressed on attack run, but then, can't steer lead planes left or right very much to set up advance lead properly. Goes from real unstable in flight to almost no rudder control on final.

Have even changed my mouse controls around for different sensitivity.

Only thing that I can think of is my constant internet delay of 320ms, due to satellite connection (remote location on the Bay).

the wagging of the planes is probably due to the fact that a computer course will never be straight... not visually anyhow... when the data, the numbers and code are displayed as an image on your screen... it probably needs tweaking, so, maybe just wait till they get around to it... or... if!