You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
theamazingtoby

Mac Client

35 comments in this topic

Members
47 posts
5,233 battles

I've been playing this game for two years now. Just got my 2 year patch. And I would absolutely love to be able to play more than two random battles in a row without the Mac client crashing. If I would've known the Mac wasn't REALLY supported, I never would've started playing.  I supposed I could spend $99 a year for Parallels, or some other VM, but I'd rather not have to do something special to get this to play. There are plenty of other games that work perfectly well on PC and Mac, because the dev teams actually build those clients instead of trying to run the PC version on Wine. For the amount of money people are shelling out for Santa containers, I'd think you'd be able to hire a couple of Swift/Objective-C devs to port the client to the Mac OS. Either that, or throw the Mac client away and take the download link away because all it does is frustrate those of us on Macs that get client crashes between/during every random battle.

OR, let Co-op battles count for EVERY mission/campaign/etc... I can squeeze in maybe four or five co-op battles between crashes. It's not the same as PVP, but I'm fine with it until/if a real Mac client comes out.

Thanks for two years of fun, even with the frustration, and keep up the good work!

[RKLES]
Members
8,332 posts
10,558 battles

Yeah it’s a shame Wargaming has either been unwilling or incapable of building MAC version of the game. But they do manage to build 2 Apply games WOT Blitz and WOWs Blitz So somebody in Wargaming knows how to write IOS code for Apple devices, if only they could do it for WoWs or teach the WoWs team how to do so.

You would think Wargaming might consider that people able to buy Macs might be able to buy in game goods if the game was built for them, but I guess they don’t like making money as much as everyone likes to think they do. I go walking around University campuses for example and there are always a ton of people with Mac lamptops, oftennif you see a PC it feels odd with all the Apple ones around. So can’t tell me nobody buys Apple computers. 

[XBRTC]
Members
2,309 posts
8,233 battles

Playing WoWs with parallels sucks. You want Boot Camp if you're going to do it, but that requires a very heavy investment in hard drive space. It does, however, have the virtue of not costing 99/yr.

[RKLES]
Members
8,332 posts
10,558 battles
6 minutes ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

Playing WoWs with parallels sucks. You want Boot Camp if you're going to do it, but that requires a very heavy investment in hard drive space. It does, however, have the virtue of not costing 99/yr.

Does Boot Camp run the game smoothly?

[_-_]
Members
1,576 posts

Without trying to sound snarky, Lesta Studio has it's hands full with the CV Rework. Then there's new ships, event work, and (ugh!) submarines coming up.

It's really just an ROI business proposition. Victor K. probably looked at the market analysis and decided nah, not worth it. Many game developers feel the same way, others do not. I'd love to see a Linux port too, but not gonna happen. Ever.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
6,529 posts
19,374 battles

Well to be fair, Mac programming is probably not something that Russians are familiar with anyways. Apple products lack popularity it most countries, especially those with small economies. Russia is a powerful nation but its economy is pretty much on par with the state of Texas.... You figure the lack of expertise, the lack of will, and the general lack of interest in Mac and you will probably never see an actual version of the game made for Apple products. Honestly I am not sure I would even want them to attempt it unless they hire US programmers to do the work. 

Members
3,978 posts
6,700 battles

The vast. vast. vast majority of games will not officially support Macs - they will all be wrappers that are usually done by a different company who has the 'expertise'.   Macs are not as popular nor are they known for gaming machines.

[XBRTC]
Members
2,309 posts
8,233 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

As smoothly as the underlying hardware will allow, yes. Boot camp is pretty much just a set of drivers that allows you to run Windows natively on an Intel Mac. If you have a low-end Mac, you'll have more difficulties than if you have a top-end one, but that's no different than with PC.

[RKLES]
Members
8,332 posts
10,558 battles
2 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

Well to be fair, Mac programming is probably not something that Russians are familiar with anyways. Apple products lack popularity it most countries, especially those with small economies. Russia is a powerful nation but its economy is pretty much on par with the state of Texas.... You figure the lack of expertise, the lack of will, and the general lack of interest in Mac and you will probably never see an actual version of the game made for Apple products. Honestly I am not sure I would even want them to attempt it unless they hire US programmers to do the work. 

Wargaming built WOT Blitz and WOWs Blitz which are designed and built to be iOS native, and Microsoft part of Blitz is secondary and buggy version in comparison. So not like Wargaming is entirely unable to do it, perhaps limited in personnel that can do it and therefore must limit them to Blitz, or maybe have not seen the need for it. But fact remains I am certain they could more than recoup the costs of fully supported MAC version of the game.

[WOLF1]
Members
3,796 posts
1,512 battles
3 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yes.  You're actually booting into Windows, just enough bottom end support that it works on top of the Mac not-BIOS/firmware, basically.

[WOLF1]
Members
3,796 posts
1,512 battles
1 hour ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

As smoothly as the underlying hardware will allow, yes. Boot camp is pretty much just a set of drivers that allows you to run Windows natively on an Intel Mac. If you have a low-end Mac, you'll have more difficulties than if you have a top-end one, but that's no different than with PC.

This computer started life as a Mac server/VM host platform for development in about 2010 or so, 6-core i-Series type Xeon.  However, it's been superseded for its original mission.  I still play WoWS and other games on it, on Windows 10 Pro.  I've replaced the GPU with a card that isn't supported by MacOS, so it can't even boot into Mac anymore.  Still have CPU to burn, and can pretty much play any game I want, except for some of the FPS games that require bleeding-edge hardware, but I don't play those anyway.

The Mac WoWS client is basically a wrapper running the Windows client in emulation, and it's a piece of crap.  

Edited by mavfin87

[WOLF7]
Members
212 posts
3,786 battles
16 hours ago, So_lt_Goes said:

Without trying to sound snarky, Lesta Studio has it's hands full with the CV Rework. Then there's new ships, event work, and (ugh!) submarines coming up.

It's really just an ROI business proposition. Victor K. probably looked at the market analysis and decided nah, not worth it. Many game developers feel the same way, others do not. I'd love to see a Linux port too, but not gonna happen. Ever.

They Said submarines wouldnt happen, ever.

[_-_]
Members
1,576 posts
16 minutes ago, demeflac said:

They Said submarines wouldnt happen, ever.

False equivalence.

Submarines = demonstrable ROI potential.

Mac & Linux ports = no ROI whatsoever.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
6,529 posts
19,374 battles
14 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Wargaming built WOT Blitz and WOWs Blitz which are designed and built to be iOS native, and Microsoft part of Blitz is secondary and buggy version in comparison. So not like Wargaming is entirely unable to do it, perhaps limited in personnel that can do it and therefore must limit them to Blitz, or maybe have not seen the need for it. But fact remains I am certain they could more than recoup the costs of fully supported MAC version of the game.

The inability to link your main WoWS/WoT account with the Blitz games will probably limit their ability to gain popularity. I mean who the heck wants to play two grindy games? I suppose an argument could be made that the Blitz games will draw players into the main games, but I doubt that. Current players of the main games may try Blitz but like I said, what would be the point of playing it thru? 

They probably could recoup the costs of making a native Mac game but breaking even probably isn't something a company shoots for when developing a product. I think the best thing to do would be to put the Codeweavers people on the payroll or pay them to keep the Wine wrapper working for people using it. Wargaming seems to have an abundance of paid employees who interact with the players, maybe they could thin that herd and use that money to keep the wrapper up to date. 

[MIA-E]
Members
2,726 posts
7,586 battles

I used to run it on OSX but it was painful.

Now I dual boot into Windows with Bootcamp. I actually have an unactivated version of Windows, which majorly limits functionality in Windows but since I only run a few games in it... meh.

Just means I get trolled every screenshot since it also has a watermark over the minimap location :cap_cool:

[SIDE]
Members
1,764 posts

People still buy Mac? 

I set them up for dual boot but that was back in the late 90’s. Was only way to make a Mac useful out side of an artistic or academic setting. Can’t believe folks still have to do that and pay thousands for the “privilege”. I guess if the silly Apple icon means that much to a person they could still run windows dual boot... 

Members
3,978 posts
6,700 battles
1 hour ago, thebigblue said:

People still buy Mac? 

I set them up for dual boot but that was back in the late 90’s. Was only way to make a Mac useful out side of an artistic or academic setting. Can’t believe folks still have to do that and pay thousands for the “privilege”. I guess if the silly Apple icon means that much to a person they could still run windows dual boot... 

Of couse they still do - the Apple stores have a lot of them.  Several industries use them extensively.  Music and graphic artists use Macs quite a bit.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
8,332 posts
10,558 battles
44 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

Of couse they still do - the Apple stores have a lot of them.  Several industries use them extensively.  Music and graphic artists use Macs quite a bit.

Yes and some of the major computer programming teams use them as well for running some of the massive sever / computer dystems since MAC can run computer languages that would cause many PCs to freak out, plus the MACs end to be more reliable and secure. If you are giving instructions to systems that cost many millions of dollars the last thing you need is your chance computer to fail, or give you more reminders for useless updates and such when you told it not to disturb you. Or to have the system compromised by viruses.

Members
16 posts
5,220 battles
On January 12, 2019 at 10:06 AM, theamazingtoby said:

I've been playing this game for two years now. Just got my 2 year patch. And I would absolutely love to be able to play more than two random battles in a row without the Mac client crashing. . . .Thanks for two years of fun, even with the frustration, and keep up the good work!

I started playing this game nearly three years ago after doing some research on it, in particular if it would run on my Mac.  For the first year and a half, the game gave me no real problems, just the occasional freeze/crash, but only a little bit annoying.  And if this is how it stayed, I'd shrug my shoulders and tell you it could be worse.  But since somewhere in the mid 6.0's this game has become increasingly unstable, to the point of frustration.  I wouldn't be angry about this problem if this is how it always was (though, it's debatable if I'd be playing for three years if it had been this bad)  but the fact that they keep making the game run worse as they keep "improving" it makes me rage.  

I had plans to budget a certain amount of money to spend on the game each year, to keep it profitable as it was a good product, but outside of the first year, I've never reached that limit, or not spent any money due to how poor the game runs.  Very disappointing in all.

[ARMDA]
Members
320 posts
2,518 battles
On 1/13/2019 at 2:38 AM, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

Playing with Parallels works fine for me. Why is it bad for you?

[XBRTC]
Members
2,309 posts
8,233 battles
8 minutes ago, destawaits said:

Playing with Parallels works fine for me. Why is it bad for you?

Well, let's see....

can't use more than 8 GB / 4 cores for Windows stuff. Massive overhead on the processor. Can't directly access the discrete graphics card. All this stuff combines to make a Macbook Pro run really hot. And that suck.

[ARMDA]
Members
320 posts
2,518 battles
9 minutes ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

Well, let's see....

can't use more than 8 GB / 4 cores for Windows stuff. Massive overhead on the processor. Can't directly access the discrete graphics card. All this stuff combines to make a Macbook Pro run really hot. And that suck.

I guess the difference between you and me is that I'm fine with my MacBook Pro Retina running all warm with the fan running loudly. I'm fine as long as the game doesn't lag. Bootcamp seems to be more of a hassle as I'm more of the multitasking type and like to access things saved on the MacOS quickly.

Edited by destawaits

Beta Testers
1,883 posts
10,762 battles

Porting to native Mac is not that simple. For example. There's no Direct3D on Mac. Everything in the 3D rendering end has to be rewritten. What will the return be from potential Mac installs?

New mobile apps are a different story. There are many choices for cross-platform mobile app frameworks.

Until WG moves on to a cross-platform engine, there's not going to be native Mac version (or Linux).

[ARMDA]
Members
320 posts
2,518 battles

Doesn't Mac use OpenGL instead?