Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
1Sherman

So I bought the Nagato today, kitted her out, put a 6 point captain on her, and took her out for some power-leveling...

20 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
5,499 posts
2,625 battles

Suffice to say, I think she might be pretty good. I can only imagine what she'll be like when my captain is leveled up.

133788022_Nagato1.thumb.PNG.2dfbd64e34a195b796310eaa11dd94b2.PNG986173265_Nagato2.thumb.PNG.9e6d0238bc9ba780eae7daafeb68d28c.PNG745534595_Nagato3.thumb.PNG.da0b3fad68bad659e058ac311cd106e9.PNG814746498_Nagato4.thumb.PNG.f900348d610291390085058ae0b1699a.PNG

• Cool 1

[BNKR]
Members
1,042 posts
994 battles

She's a solid battleship with an unrivaled broadside at tier VII. Just don't get reliant on her armor, as it's very spotty, even when angled well.

[RKLES]
Members
8,332 posts
10,558 battles
9 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

She's a solid battleship with an unrivaled broadside at tier VII. Just don't get reliant on her armor, as it's very spotty, even when angled well.

Yeah that’s why I put Superintendent on Nagato quite quickly, and use Premium Consumables for Damage control and Repair party is because Nagato will take damage and I need to try and keep that under control and feed the ship as much HP as I can so she can do maximum damage.

But the Nagato does have things in its favor, while the armor is softer than I would prefer, it still has armor, Secondary gun’s are numerous enough and mounted well enough that AFT skill can help keep DDs at bay somewhat, or in some cases blow them out of the water once in a while. And the main guns are very powerful even at long range, although I prefer then at mid range or close range. Even tier 9 ships often have to show some respect for the Nagato main guns or get citadel hits to remind them. Of course return fire from tier 9 ships you will feel as well.

AA is interesting enough, I have felt like with BFT, AFT, and Catapult Fighter that I was reasonably well protected from air attacks. While not invincible of course, I usually have taken down enough planes to greatly lessen the sting from bombers or even caused them to miss their attacks entirely and return to their CV with battered squadrons. Which a more neverous CV players might leave you alone after such an encounter if you took down some planes and dodged their torpedoes and bombs by taking evasive action. But if not at least you are making enemy CV pay in planes well enough if they eventually do take you down.

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,979 posts
4,860 battles
20 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

She's a solid battleship with an unrivaled broadside at tier VII.

Lyon and Nelson says hello.:Smile_teethhappy:

[BNKR]
Members
1,042 posts
994 battles
13 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

I'm pretty sure by shell weight it still goes to Nagato. For sure heavier than Nelson. I guess I'd have to check on Lyon.

Alpha Tester
5,499 posts
2,625 battles
14 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Funnily enough, that Nelson I killed was obliterated at point-blank range by my guns. He tried to angle, but my shells went straight through his armour.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,838 posts
4,849 battles
6 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

Funnily enough, that Nelson I killed was obliterated at point-blank range by my guns. He tried to angle, but my shells went straight through his armour.

Nelson's side armor is so weak that 5 inch US DD AP shell can pen it...the cost of having excellent ammunition and zombie heal...

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
12,979 posts
4,860 battles
11 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

Overmatch mechanics, so not surprising. No BB at tier 7 has bow armour that can withstand 15 inch or larger shells.

14 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

I'm pretty sure by shell weight it still goes to Nagato. For sure heavier than Nelson. I guess I'd have to check on Lyon.

I don't know about air drag and krupp stats, but looking at what we can see ingame Nagato has a potential AP broadside damage of 100,800, whilst Nelson has 108,000 so the damage is very similar. Nelson's HE is head and shoulders better than that of Nagato though. Nagato also unfortunately has a 32 second reload.

And Lyon may not have the 16 inch overmatch potential. But Lyon isn't about that, it's a ship which shotguns reds with 16 shells at once, and Lyon's AP damage potential on a broadside is 152,000. 

I would say Nagato is best for the overmatch, Lyon is best at throwing walls of death at cruisers, and Nelson is the best all rounder with decent AP and insane HE.

[-K-]
Members
5,778 posts
9,807 battles
21 minutes ago, Battleship_ContediCavour said:

Lyon has better armor, but I'm still banking on Nagato in that tier (although Ashitaka is very potent now, too).

Wait, Lyon has good armor? :Smile_teethhappy:

Members
2,561 posts
4,251 battles
48 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

I disagree with the armor here. She can be trollly as all get out. Not that long ago I was out hunting Scharnhorsts for a thread about Nagato vs sharny. I ran into my opposition form that thread in his Musashi. Even though he peeled off 30-40k hp his average damage per shell was less than normal pen damage.

There is nothing at tier 7 that can even pretend to match those 460's

Her only rival is Ashitaka but only because they buffed Ashitaka's shells. As further proof that Nagato is still Queen of tier 7 is with all the buffs to the IJN BBs recently, Nagato is the only one to receive only Nerfs (range). 

Nagato, is also one of the few BBs that are so accurate that she's punishes poor aim. Inaccurate "Shotguns" will sometimes RNG you to success whereas slightly off aim with Nagato will only result in very accurate misses.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
5,778 posts
9,807 battles
2 minutes ago, StoneRhino said:

Nagato, is also one of the few BBs that are so accurate that she's punishes poor aim. Inaccurate "Shotguns" will sometimes RNG you to success whereas slightly off aim with Nagato will only result in very accurate misses.

Yep, kind of like Musashi vs. Yamato.

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
12,979 posts
4,860 battles
21 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Wait, Lyon has good armor? :Smile_teethhappy:

Arguably better than Nagato. It's not like Nagato was actually known for it's armour in the first place lol.

ohGmSrI.jpg

TNUEPSG.jpg

Nagato's upper belt is 25mm, whereas most of Lyon's upper belt is 180mm. Nagato's bow and stern is completely all 25mm, whilst Lyon has chunks of 180-120mm armour on hers. Nagato has mostly a 25mm deck with a small chunk of 70mm armour, whilst Lyon has about 60% 30mm deck armour and the rest 25mm. When angled Lyon is pretty tanky unless one overmatches the upper bow.

Members
2,561 posts
4,251 battles
21 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Yep, kind of like Musashi vs. Yamato.

Not sure about that. There was a recent thread about musashi having almost 1/2 the vertical dispersion of Yamato. 

So it would take a @LittleWhiteMouse side by side dispersion comparison. I'm tagging her on the off chance she has already done it.

Alpha Tester
5,499 posts
2,625 battles

Just topped that first game with regards to damage done.

1667960012_Nagato5.thumb.PNG.d2db58855f42998713b38a5d0ae5bc02.PNG1304677344_Nagato6.thumb.PNG.c0c077e8c6e1edde56c71def5fbf9a82.PNG200285856_Nagato7.thumb.PNG.c77e7eb26c63acb114071bca1e24d070.PNG1920822948_Nagato8.thumb.PNG.001f0d4766d11dd62d6a2693606c5bbf.PNG

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,667 posts
8,145 battles
27 minutes ago, StoneRhino said:

Not sure about that. There was a recent thread about musashi having almost 1/2 the vertical dispersion of Yamato. 

So it would take a @LittleWhiteMouse side by side dispersion comparison. I'm tagging her on the off chance she has already done it.

The "Vertical Dispersion" stat they're quoting has nothing to do with ship precision.  It's a stat Wargaming uses to describe the maximum a shell can deviate at the absolute minimum range of the guns in order to prevent the ship from shooting itself.  That's all.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,305 posts
15,805 battles

Nagato is an interesting ship because she's actually a polarizing ship within the IJN BB Line itself.  Some guys like her power and accuracy.  At the same time, some guys hate her "inaccurate guns."

IMO, Nagato is accurate to the point that you can rely on hits.  The shells don't scatter as easily as say, Colorado, Lyon, etc.

1.  If you are a player that knows how to aim, Nagato will be right up your alley.

2.  If you rely on enough scatter of your shells to hope for hits, Nagato will not be to your liking.  More of you BB players are like this, whether you know it or not.

Nagato's gunnery is good that she shoots where you aim for.  If you have bad aim, then she's going to be no good for you as she'll hit where you're aiming at.  If you're aim is off, then Nagato's off :Smile_popcorn:Some of you guys need to have tons of shells flying down range to hope for a hit with the scatter.  Nagato isn't your type of ship.

Last Tier VII Ranked, which is now almost 2 years ago, Nagato was the only ship to break 50k damage average.  She had 53k, still managed a respectable 50% WR.  Nobody else, not even the CVs broke that 50k barrier.  Scharnhorst was at 49k.  There is no doubt Nagato can hammer things.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

Members
2,561 posts
4,251 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

The "Vertical Dispersion" stat they're quoting has nothing to do with ship precision.  It's a stat Wargaming uses to describe the maximum a shell can deviate at the absolute minimum range of the guns in order to prevent the ship from shooting itself.  That's all.

See and that's why I tagged the expert. Thanks LWM.

2 hours ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Arguably better than Nagato. It's not like Nagato was actually known for it's armour in the first place lol.

ohGmSrI.jpg

TNUEPSG.jpg

Nagato's upper belt is 25mm, whereas most of Lyon's upper belt is 180mm. Nagato's bow and stern is completely all 25mm, whilst Lyon has chunks of 180-120mm armour on hers. Nagato has mostly a 25mm deck with a small chunk of 70mm armour, whilst Lyon has about 60% 30mm deck armour and the rest 25mm. When angled Lyon is pretty tanky unless one overmatches the upper bow.

Nagato is an interesting design. It's the first to adopt a hybrid USN all or nothing while still keeping some European influence.

Her belt is thick enough that you can safely unmasks your rear rifles, something like 35°. At that angle you are presenting your highest angled turtleback and significantly angling your forward bulkhead. You will still eat normal pens to overmatchs but you are very unlikely to get citadeled. To combat this Nagato has very high HP and normal pens can be somewhat healed.

Nagato can defend against her own firepower without sacrificing any of her own. Minus HE spam but that's a different story.

[WOLF9]
Members
7,605 posts
3,239 battles

A good ship with decent speed.

As was mentioned above, good secondaries.  They seem to surprise DD and CL captains. 

Now if only I could afford to buy Amagi...

[MK48]
[MK48]
Members
178 posts
3,320 battles
7 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Droppin some knowledge 

Sign in to follow this