You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Airjellyfish

WGC

43 comments in this topic

[VOP]
Members
307 posts
7,316 battles

With major software changes coming with 0.80 because of the CV rework, is WG going to universally inflict the WGC on us with this update?  I seemed to have missed it in the dev blog and WG always remains silent when asked this.

Members
168 posts
6,618 battles

I haven't heard anything about it becoming the only option recently. Unless it was announced 1+ months ago, or they specifically haven't said anything, I think you're in the clear.

[WGA]
Administrator
904 posts
382 battles

While WGC will become required to run World of Warships in the near future, it is not currently tied to 0.8.0.  For those folks using it, we are looking for more feedback. 

• Cool 2
  • Bad 6
  • Angry 3

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,826 posts

With the differentiation between WG premium and WOWS premium, there is more reason to file it in the dumpster.

I loaded it in..  It locked up a couple times..  Then it pooped in the middle of several games, getting in the way.

At the time I tried it, it was an unwanted complication that served absolutely no purpose for me.

• Cool 2

[VOP]
Members
307 posts
7,316 battles
15 minutes ago, Radar_X said:

While WGC will become required to run World of Warships in the near future, it is not currently tied to 0.8.0.  For those folks using it, we are looking for more feedback. 

Thank you.

[RKLES]
Members
8,342 posts
10,574 battles
54 minutes ago, Radar_X said:

Hope Wargaming is remembering those that use MAC to play the game...

• Funny 1

[YORHA]
Members
3,795 posts
6,596 battles

Loaded up the latest version for the CV beta test and have absolutely zero problems with it.  I actually find it's functions useful and have no issues with it.

• Cool 2

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,933 posts
9,049 battles
1 hour ago, Radar_X said:

Ever since I installed it back when Warplanes 2.0 made me install it to try it, I've had an increased number of crashes and load in issues. I've ruled out my internet, I don't use wireless, I've upgraded it to a point I can play on servers 4000 miles away with no issues, across an ocean, with no real problems, and run I don't know how many checks, on various things, when everyone points to my internet that say it is not my internet, and it's not my laptop because while it is older, and a laptop, it runs other things fine, it ran the game fine before WGC was installed - other than when you guys were having issues you had to fix with everyone having load issues, and ruled out everything on that end, so, it's something haywire in WGC coding, or game coding, maybe both. 

• Cool 1

[1STBG]
Members
3 posts
6,858 battles

When it's minimized and I go to open something else it always pops up center of screen. Hitting the X does not close it completely. Kind of annoying. Game launchers should IMO always be optional. Just let me click on the Warships icon.

Edited by majchaos29
  • Cool 1

[YORHA]
Members
3,795 posts
6,596 battles
48 minutes ago, majchaos29 said:

When it's minimized and I go to open something else it always pops up center of screen. Hitting the X does not close it completely. Kind of annoying. Game launchers should IMO always be optional. Just let me click on the Warships icon.

If you're using the current version (and if you're not, why aren't you)  select the middle option between the two I have ticked.

J5yxyuo.jpg

[PSP]
Members
8,023 posts

I don't see what the big fuss is. Supposedly, an early version of the WGC was buggy but it hasn't been so in quite some time. I run it without a single problem. You can always close it after you start the game but unless you are playing on a 20-year-old system the tiny overhead incurred by having it running is not even worth mentioning. If you have a browser running in the background with a couple of pages open it is using magnitudes more system resources that the WGC is.

• Cool 2

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,076 posts
8 hours ago, Radar_X said:

Be aware that the moment WOWS won't run without WGC, there are those who will no longer be WG customers or WOWS players.

And before someone chimes in with "that's your choice", bear in mind that it is an unnecessary situation being imposed by WG.

50 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

If you're using the current version (and if you're not, why aren't you)  select the middle option between the two I have ticked.

J5yxyuo.jpg

Users have reported that those option checkboxes don't do what they say they do, and that WGC will, at least for them, still run on startup and run in the background.

This is one of the reasons some of us will never install or use WGC.

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[YEETS]
Beta Testers
222 posts
3,824 battles

Count me as another person against it.

I tried loading it onto a new gaming laptop I bought this summer and the game crashes to desktop each time it's launched through the WGC.  I reinstalled twice, and checked to make sure all my drivers were up to date as well; still not working at all.  I ended up digging through the internet to find an older stand-alone launcher for the game and it works just fine.

So WG can count me as another person who doesn't care for WGC at all.  It's not ready for mandatory use yet, and there's literally no reason to get rid of the stand-alone launcher that works just fine.

Edited by Wardog_Noir

[TDG]
Members
1,526 posts
7,000 battles
9 hours ago, Radar_X said:

I have found only two remaining issues with WGC:

1. I have had it start a paused download which booted me from the battle I was in at the time.
  2. It takes longer to get back to a battle when one is disconnected.  Long enough that I have yet to recover in time to get back to a battle in time to make a difference.

[PSP]
Members
8,023 posts

For those who are terrified of the WGC opening upon startup. Hit Ctrl-Alt-Del, open Task Manager, click the Startup tab, Right-click on the WGC line, select Disable.

I personally like it downloading new updates early and installing them while I'm working on other things.

[TDG]
Members
1,526 posts
7,000 battles
58 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Users have reported that those option checkboxes don't do what they say they do, and that WGC will, at least for them, still run on startup and run in the background.

I have not found an issue with this on the most recent versions of WGC.  Since that last install, I have not had it start on its own.  It also will exit if you use the Exit option on the Task Bar.  (I have not tried the most recent change to Exit on the Close gadget, but I will look into it when I get a chance.)

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,076 posts
4 minutes ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

I have not found an issue with this on the most recent versions of WGC.  Since that last install, I have not had it start on its own.  It also will exit if you use the Exit option on the Task Bar.  (I have not tried the most recent change to Exit on the Close gadget, but I will look into it when I get a chance.)

Trust lost, is not easily found again.  Once I catch software doing these sorts of things, I tend to blacklist it permanently.

And there are other issues, such as the increased attempts to force the user to act as an update server for other users on WG's behalf, including for games the user doesn't have installed from some reports.

• Funny 1

[PSP]
Members
8,023 posts
Just now, KilljoyCutter said:

Trust lost, is not easily found again.  Once I catch software doing these sorts of things, I tend to blacklist it permanently.

And there are other issues, such as the increased attempts to force the user to act as an update server for other users on WG's behalf, including for games the user doesn't have installed from some reports.

Once again, you can disable this option. WG isn't the only one who does this. It's the era of cloud computing. Many applications, including Windows itself, use distributed computing for updates.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[WOLF1]
Members
3,812 posts
1,529 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

I don't see what the big fuss is. Supposedly, an early version of the WGC was buggy but it hasn't been so in quite some time. I run it without a single problem. You can always close it after you start the game but unless you are playing on a 20-year-old system the tiny overhead incurred by having it running is not even worth mentioning. If you have a browser running in the background with a couple of pages open it is using magnitudes more system resources that the WGC is.

Yeah, I'm on a 7 year old computer, and I'm not sure what all the fuss is.  I've got it set so that it doesn't launch itself on login, and it goes away when I close it and doesn't stay in the tray, and I've watched its interactions, and see nothing threatening with it.  It simply just works for me.   The WoWS client doesn't crash, and WGC doesn't crash for me.  Once in a blue moon I'll get hung starting a match, like once every couple of months, but that's all, and I suspect that's a handshake in the game client, not WGC.  

I guess if you're someone who thinks Steam is the devil, then I guess WGC is the devil for you, too, and you, of course, are welcome to that viewpoint.

[WOLF1]
Members
3,812 posts
1,529 battles
4 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Once again, you can disable this option. WG isn't the only one who does this. It's the era of cloud computing. Many applications, including Windows itself, use distributed computing for updates.

Yeah, that's standard update software using torrents.  Blizzard started using that 8 or 9 years ago, I think, and so did about everyone else that has a downloader/launcher...standard torrent practice, and you can turn it off.

Edited by mavfin87

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,076 posts
7 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

There's a reason (OK, many reasons, others including treating the owner as a bystander on update selection and install, treating the OS like a phone UI, etc) I have not, and will not, install Windows 10 on anything I own. 

Or Steam.

Or Origin.

Or a lot of other things.

Ever,

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[WOLF1]
Members
3,812 posts
1,529 battles
Just now, KilljoyCutter said:

There's a reason I have not, and will not, install Windows 10 on anything I own.

Well, then you've got about a year left with internet gaming.  

[TDG]
Members
1,526 posts
7,000 battles
4 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Trust is important, and WG needs to stay aware of that.

At this point, WGC works as advertised.  It will properly respond to settings with respect to the downloads and uploads.

I feel it still needs work before it becomes mandatory.

Not a primary consideration, but important to many, I have not been able to get WGC working under Crossover or Wine.  I have been able to get this to work with the Legacy Launcher.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,076 posts
3 minutes ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

Trust is important, and WG needs to stay aware of that.

At this point, WGC works as advertised.  It will properly respond to settings with respect to the downloads and uploads.

I feel it still needs work before it becomes mandatory.

Not a primary consideration, but important to many, I have not been able to get WGC working under Crossover or Wine.  I have been able to get this to work with the Legacy Launcher.

And underlying it is the fact that WGC (like Steam, Origin, etc), just doesn't do anything for me. 

All I need are the updates, and those could be manually downloaded just as easily -- and really that's what I'd prefer. 

Everything else is superfluous as far as I'm concerned.

• Cool 1