Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
StoptheViolins

AA, Attack Rectcals, and Other CV Feedback

5 comments in this topic

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,703 posts

AA is way OP now.  A few flak burst decimate most of the attack squad now and damage the rest of the squad to the point of not surviving an attack approach.

Last test flak was somewhat avoidable but now flak appears too close for planes to react. First round WG's intent for players to choose between optimal attack vectors or taking massive damage or taking a higher skill but less optimal approach was clearly presented.  This round all approaches suck so why try?

Last patch the plane target circle seemed to focus just right - big changes made the circle jump in size smaller ones slowed the aiming noticeably but didn't keep the target rectical from decreasing.  Currently any adjustments cause the target rectical to stay big.  Even the smallest of adjustments.

If there is zero plans to reduce AA damage then limit CVs to a +-1 MM.  A T8 CV will have no game impact at T10. In a T8 vs T10 match any other ship can still have an impact because the lower tiered ships can still deliver ordinance on a target.  Lower tiered CVs will be lucky to get one plane from an entire attack group through.

Round one felt right in regards to the attack rectical.  Round two's AA damage swing was just too much -or- round one's AA was a few steps from being just right if you want to encourage players to work together.

[DENY]
[DENY]
Beta Testers
228 posts
10,100 battles

Just played a game in my GK secondary spec not AA spec and got 19 kills and I didn't even shift my firing sectors. So good job with going over kill on the AA War Gaming as a BB player loving the OP AA.

[HOL]
Members
47 posts
2,643 battles

welp this sux, my god AA is just WAY OP now, not a snowballs chance in hell for any plane to make the attack, or retrun to the carrier, phase  one was perfect, every one had an equile chance, now the whole thing is all screwd up, now I myself will be passing on doing CV full time, the AA defence is worth staying with my battle ships, now that I shoot down over half the attacking squad before the drop ??, then take out the other half after, yeah way over OP AA defence, 

[-TXT-]
Members
130 posts
7,971 battles

I agree, didn't play the last test but saw squads doing 3 and 4 runs and still having planes left when I watched the CC's on youtube, now it must have swung the other way because now I get 1 run with full squad and lucky to even drop ordinance on the 2nd run. Even on an isolated bb with no other AA help...not cool.  Doing very little damage...very very little damage with any squad. Other feedback:

1. are attack planes supposed to be good at killing dd's?  because the dispersion is terrible, shouldn't it be great HE damage against dds with a very good dispersion and probably not do much to the other ships? because what you have now with the rockets doesn't do much at all to anything, and horrible dispersion.

2. torpedo squads only drop 2 torpedoes at tier 6, is this as designed? and they literally go to opposite ends of the "V" aimer...which is nuts.  Maybe there is some way to Manual drop and get better control but I tried alt and it didn't work. Anyone know?  Dropping it as I am now they completely ineffective and don't seem to flood much either, maybe got 1 flood in 10 hits.  just horrible, and with the buffed AA the squad rarely gets a second drop.

3. dive bomber aiming is wonky as heck....you need some kind of lead indicator on when to click the first time so that you can actually get a drop before you reach the bottom of your dive.  It is just trial and error and miserable right now. That being said, dive bombers seem to the best damage dealers because they reliably start fires, and the torpedoe bombers are so horrible they are basically worthless, a lot of work to maybe get 1 torpedo hit that doesn't cause flooding.

[ODIN]
Members
669 posts
2,895 battles

Something I don't understand:

I distinctly remember reading that AA zones no longer overlapped, and thus short, medium, and long range AA stats were all relevant. Despite that, I consistently seem to be getting bombarded with flak even when I'm trying to finish my strike and my planes are extremely close to the enemy ship. Is flak supposed to continue to be a problem once you get into range of the shorter range AA weapons? A lot of ships are basically untouchable with TBs (at least from USN CVs) because the flak is so intense even at shorter range that it's all but impossible to get close enough to land a hit, and stay still enough for the aiming pattern to get remotely tightened. Not only that, but the extreme amount of flak even at closer range completely obscures the aiming reticle, making it impossible for me to see where I'm aiming at all.

Flak should be scary stuff that you really need to dodge, but when it's still so pervasive at close range, I don't know how you're supposed to actually aim and attack your target with any accuracy.

Sign in to follow this