Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sweetsie

Aiming System Mod 1...?

10 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,193
[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,411 posts
13,962 battles

How do you guys feel about this? a -7% dispersion. In theory it helps... but enough to compensate for a lack of AA or turret traverse? Specifically, I am slowly back filling my fleet and repurchased the Amagi & probably share captain with the Ashitaka. I guess in a few weeks in won't really matter as I assume there will captain and ship changes all over...

Anyway, in general so you think the -7% is worth it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,377
[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,862 posts
6,889 battles

I run it on almost every BB I have. The firepower of a Battleship is one of its main aspects, however they do have some wonky dispersion in-game. So when put into relation, the dispersion decrease does offer quite an advantage.

I am personally not using the turret traverse mod. For one I never really considered the traverse a problem, especially with EM on my captain. And secondly that 5% reload increase does put me off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,823
[ARGSY]
Members
8,151 posts
5,524 battles

Your alternatives are turret rotation (which gimps your reload) secondaries boost, or AA boost. It's what you don't want to do that decides your options as much as what you do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
306
Members
1,140 posts

I normally take it along with anything that will boost main gun range, just so the -7% is deducted from a larger initial number, effectively leading to a greater reduction at the original range than ASM1 would have provided on its own.

 

 

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,377
[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,862 posts
6,889 battles
1 hour ago, b101uk said:

I normally take it along with anything that will boost main gun range, just so the -7% is deducted from a larger initial number, effectively leading to a greater reduction at the original range than ASM1 would have provided on its own.

Ehm... I am sorry, but this is incorrect. The horizontal dispersion of your ship is fixed to the range itself. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1N3J2SIkED_rny9I8tYXrDwhZRkp3jX8eXWw8HnxiLqo/edit#gid=0

This spreadsheet has the exact values. So if you apply ASM1, your dispersion at every range will be decreased by 7%. So extending your range does not bring any real benefits to this. It only extends your range, but the accuracy remains untouched.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
201
[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
426 posts
3,482 battles
2 hours ago, SireneRacker said:

I run it on almost every BB I have. The firepower of a Battleship is one of its main aspects, however they do have some wonky dispersion in-game. So when put into relation, the dispersion decrease does offer quite an advantage.

I am personally not using the turret traverse mod. For one I never really considered the traverse a problem, especially with EM on my captain. And secondly that 5% reload increase does put me off.

Agreed.

 

DPM > Everything

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,300
Members
20,839 posts
5,617 battles
2 hours ago, Abides said:

How do you guys feel about this? a -7% dispersion. In theory it helps... but enough to compensate for a lack of AA or turret traverse? Specifically, I am slowly back filling my fleet and repurchased the Amagi & probably share captain with the Ashitaka. I guess in a few weeks in won't really matter as I assume there will captain and ship changes all over...

Anyway, in general so you think the -7% is worth it?

I dunno, since the removal of AP from secondaries, I've been running that upgrade on Amagi.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
306
Members
1,140 posts
Just now, SireneRacker said:

Ehm... I am sorry, but this is incorrect. The horizontal dispersion of your ship is fixed to the range itself. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1N3J2SIkED_rny9I8tYXrDwhZRkp3jX8eXWw8HnxiLqo/edit#gid=0

This spreadsheet has the exact values. So if you apply ASM1, your dispersion at every range will be decreased by 7%. So extending your range does not bring any real benefits to this. It only extends your range, but the accuracy remains untouched.

err no, not when you look at the effective dispersion back at the original range.

 

e.g. you have a 10km base range and 100m dispersion at that range (no upgrades).

if you just add ASM1 upgrade for the -7% reduction you end up with ~93m dispersion at 10km.

if you take the commander skill AFT and your guns are <139mm, you get a new range of 12km because of the +20% range, and without upgrades your dispersion at 12km will end up being 120m and is still also effectively 100m at 10km range too.

now if you add ASM1 to the ship based on the 120m dispersion at 12km, then the new 12km dispersion value will be ~111.6m, if you transpose that back to 10km the dispersion there is now ~89.28m as opposed to the ~93m it would have been if you only took ASM1 and nothing to boost range.

with larger guns to which AFT doesn't apply and assuming the ship is in the right tiers then Gun Fire Control System Modification 2 or Artillery Plotting Room Modification 2 can add +11% to +16% to range which ASM1 can work on.

  • Bad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,377
[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,862 posts
6,889 battles

There are a few errors in there:

14 minutes ago, b101uk said:

if you take the commander skill AFT and your guns are <139mm, you get a new range of 12km because of the +20% range, and without upgrades your dispersion at 12km will end up being 120m and is still also effectively 100m at 10km range too.

While dispersion (logically) starts at 0km range;0km dispersion, it does not go in a linear manner from that point on. The linked spreadsheet makes this very noticable. Up to a range of 4km dispersion does some weird things, and only after that it turns into a linear increase.

This has also been stated by WG that dispersion at close ranges is not linear, from the wiki:

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration#Shell_Dispersion

"For patch 0.4.1, WG has decreased the close-range (i.e. below 4km) dispersion values for all ships."

17 minutes ago, b101uk said:

now if you add ASM1 to the ship based on the 120m dispersion at 12km, then the new 12km dispersion value will be ~111.6m, if you transpose that back to 10km the dispersion there is now ~89.28m as opposed to the ~93m it would have been if you only took ASM1 and nothing to boost range.

You made a calculation error in there I'm afraid. I shall assume the somewhat incorrect assumption from above is true, it doesn't change the result.

If you take the base range of 10km, you have to multiply it by x1.2 to get your 12km range, on that we agree.

Now your dispersion at 12km is 120m, reducing it by 7% means multiplying it with x0.93, also no disagreement on that part with 111.6m new dispersion.

However, now you probably multiplied those 111.6m with x0.8, assuming it would return you to the dispersion at 100m. Problem is, reducing 20% from 120m (which is what that step effectively did) reduces the range to 9.6km. So those 89.28m dispersion are at a range of 9.6km. The correct step would be to divide the 111.6m by /1.2, which results in exactly 93m, aka the modified dispersion we would have at 10km without any range upgrades.

I hope this makes somewhat sense, on a piece of paper it'd be easier to explain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
361
[NGA]
Members
1,515 posts
8,693 battles

With some rare exceptions (usually the secondary-focused ships) I take Aiming systems simply because there's no better option. The turret traverse hurts your DPM and while the AA mod was nice, it's replacement coming with 0.8.0 simply gives a minor buff to your mid- and long-range AA guns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×