You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Farazelleth CV rework vid (most recent public test): Torpedo bombers back in Tier 4

68 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
7,182 posts
4,874 battles

...and he seems to be a very happy man. Or at the very least, much happier than he was.

Long and the short. THREE torpedo bombers are launched, and they attack one at a time.

He previews the Hosho, but from listening and reading between the lines, the Langley has them too. The trick seems to be to get in very, VERY close.

r at t

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Members
1,759 posts
3,775 battles

That is correct.  And it makes T4 a lot more fun.  They also have the shortest arming distance of any of the tech tree line torpedoes but since its just a single 5000ish damage torpedo its not too bad.  Especially since you're going to bleed planes even at T4 now.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[RLGN]
Members
8,688 posts
17,952 battles
19 minutes ago, Palladia said:

That is correct.  And it makes T4 a lot more fun.  They also have the shortest arming distance of any of the tech tree line torpedoes but since its just a single 5000ish damage torpedo its not too bad.  Especially since you're going to bleed planes even at T4 now.

They’ve managed to invent a low tier squad type that will evaporate even faster?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 1

Members
1,759 posts
3,775 battles
4 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

They’ve managed to invent a low tier squad type that will evaporate even faster?

Its not so bad.  Low tier planes regenerate really fast and they only have five to bring back to the hangar.  They add good supplemental damage and make T4 a lot more fun then it was.

[RLGN]
Members
8,688 posts
17,952 battles
5 minutes ago, Palladia said:

Its not so bad.  Low tier planes regenerate really fast and they only have five to bring back to the hangar.  They add good supplemental damage and make T4 a lot more fun then it was.

This is a matter of personal perspective, and perhaps length of exposure to the system as well.

So far I’m just not seeing it.

[TBOW]
Members
1,341 posts
10,981 battles

That at least looks a lot more fun, especially at Tier 4, compared to what I had played.

[YORHA]
Members
3,550 posts
35 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Why  not try it for yourself and find out?

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
4,145 posts
13,521 battles

Cartoonish Wylie Coyote Flying a Bullet! Bah Hum Bug!

[RLGN]
Members
8,688 posts
17,952 battles
11 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

Why  not try it for yourself and find out?

I have and am not impressed.

Completly unintuitive, difficult to use controls and dull, repetitive gameplay.

The only ‘fun’ I’ve had has been taking advantage of ‘dumb’ carriers and murdering them with a destroyer.

[KRAK]
[KRAK]
Members
855 posts
11,067 battles

Planes very hard to control in flight, not intuitive. Does that mean we will get some detailed explanations (with associated keyboard operations) on how to fly these planes ? Or, like the rest of the world's latest internet experiences, no instructions provided, budgeted, or needed, it is intuitive, so enjoy the experience.

• Cool 1

[YORHA]
Members
3,550 posts
9 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I have and am not impressed.

Completly unintuitive, difficult to use controls and dull, repetitive gameplay.

The only ‘fun’ I’ve had has been taking advantage of ‘dumb’ carriers and murdering them with a destroyer.

So you are saying that you have tried the latest iteration of the CV rework?   If so that was a very strange question to post.  You should have already known the answer.

And (and I never played CVs at all prior to the Beta test) I don't find it unintuitive or difficult to use at all.  In this latest test I managed to score over 100K damage in a Langley in my 3rd game.

To each his own I guess.

• Bad 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,838 posts
26,332 battles
1 hour ago, Palladia said:

That is correct.  And it makes T4 a lot more fun.  

Only for the CV driver. Not for the fodderbote.

There are too many gimmicks like that now, fun only for the ship using them. Very bad for the game.

• Cool 6
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 1

[RLGN]
Members
8,688 posts
17,952 battles
10 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

So you are saying that you have tried the latest iteration of the CV rework?   If so that was a very strange question to post.  You should have already known the answer.

And (and I never played CVs at all prior to the Beta test) I don't find it unintuitive or difficult to use at all.  In this latest test I managed to score over 100K damage in a Langley in my 3rd game.

To each his own I guess.

The question was facetious in the first place, and horray for you that you can walk all over targets like you’re farazelleth.

My experience has been nothing but planes that are all but impossible to control or aim, and AA and fighters that are so destructive getting more than 1-2 attacks with anything but rockets is a pipe dream.

’Simpler’ my eye; all this change has done is make attacking with a carrier harder.

• Boring 1

[YORHA]
Members
3,550 posts
56 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

The question was facetious in the first place, and horray for you that you can walk all over targets like you’re farazelleth.

My experience has been nothing but planes that are all but impossible to control or aim, and AA and fighters that are so destructive getting more than 1-2 attacks with anything but rockets is a pipe dream.

’Simpler’ my eye; all this change has done is make attacking with a carrier harder.

1) I notice you ignored the central question, which seems to be an answer in and of itself.

2) Well then there is a simple solution to your problem with the CV re-work...

Dasha.jpg.5dc241e4de04037e7e4a645b7cbc43

• Funny 1
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 3

Members
1,106 posts

T4 is T4, a painful rite of passage, nothing more.

I played a mess of US CV on Part 2, and once you get the Midway, trust me, you will be the torpedo cancer from hell. I'm unbelievably lousy at flight sims, and still have no prob landing beau coups hits.

Camping BB's will either have to go full AA-spec, give up their cowardly ways, or die early and often. A slow or stationary BB with less than uber AA can be torped with 6 hits per run by a 3-year-old (or a rather drunk 65-year-old potatotard). :Smile_teethhappy:

[-Y-]
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
5,289 posts
7,571 battles
1 minute ago, Happy668 said:

is there an introduction of how to play new CV?

WG is working on new tutorials ( @FemennenIy I think is heading that up)

But, basic controls are very intuitive. If you have the PTS client, I recommend heading into coop battles to explore/discover the control interface. As with other surface ships, your most important controls are WASD and the left mouse button!

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
7,182 posts
4,874 battles
21 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

But, basic controls are very intuitive. 

That they are. Timing your approach, specifically the time between clicking the mouse button to start the attack and actually releasing bombs and rockets in an effective manner on a moving target, has proved more of a challenge than I anticipated. Watching Farazelleth's vid made me think the releasing of torpedoes MAY be easier; guessing the appropriate lead will at first be significantly harder.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Supertester, Alpha Tester
2,464 posts
4,759 battles
15 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

That they are. Timing your approach, specifically the time between clicking the mouse button to start the attack and actually releasing bombs and rockets in an effective manner on a moving target, has proved more of a challenge than I anticipated. Watching Farazelleth's vid made me think the releasing of torpedoes MAY be easier; guessing the appropriate lead will at first be significantly harder.

launching ordnance has not changed between PTS1 and 2.    The factors are still the same...  speed of your aircraft (are you on boost)   speed of target, do you have torp acceleration,  arming distance, whether you have captain skills of things like steady sights and longer attack on that particular ordnance and angles and with no lead indicator like surface ships,  oh yeah.. and can you actually see the launch indicator based on sun on the water and flack bursts.

Fundamentally, some will be good, some will be not so good.  Currently, it's pretty easy because most are bots..  when real people get in, it will be a different ballgame, except for those hiding behind islands..  they will be sources of damage and exp :).

Ships stopping and going into reverse in the open ocean will be wonderful targets..  the easiest of all..  if it's a BB it should be possible to launch before even getting into serious AA range  :)

[WOLF1]
Members
3,376 posts
1,465 battles
3 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

This is a matter of personal perspective, and perhaps length of exposure to the system as well.

So far I’m just not seeing it.

From seeing your posts lately, your personal perspective is that you have already made up your mind that you don't want CVs, so anything positive about the rework is bad.  That's how I'm reading it.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[-Y-]
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
5,289 posts
7,571 battles
24 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

From seeing your posts lately, your personal perspective is that you have already made up your mind that you don't want CVs, so anything positive about the rework is bad.  That's how I'm reading it.

whether or not this is an accurate representation, is there anything bad about the rework, in your judgement?

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
3,376 posts
1,465 battles
4 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

whether or not this is an accurate representation, is there anything bad about the rework, in your judgement?

There are issues, of course, but, they're not going to roll it back, and they're not going to remove CVs, so I tend to think about what can be changed, not how to go back.

I think the whole tier X is impervious to tier Y's planes, and tier Y can laugh at Tier X's AA is an issue that will need worked on, for example. 

There will be other things, I'm sure, but, we won't solve them on PTS.  It'll take randoms full of 12 vs 12 humans on the live server to figure things out.  Also, just time for people to play with CVs.  What's possible?  We don't know yet.  We've barely begun to actually try.

So, I'm not 'for' or 'against' the rework.  The rework just is.  It's the only game in town, unless you're going to stop playing WoWS.

Edited by mavfin87
  • Cool 1

[YORHA]
Members
3,550 posts
1 hour ago, mavfin87 said:

There are issues, of course, but, they're not going to roll it back, and they're not going to remove CVs, so I tend to think about what can be changed, not how to go back.

I think the whole tier X is impervious to tier Y's planes, and tier Y can laugh at Tier X's AA is an issue that will need worked on, for example. 

There will be other things, I'm sure, but, we won't solve them on PTS.  It'll take randoms full of 12 vs 12 humans on the live server to figure things out.  Also, just time for people to play with CVs.  What's possible?  We don't know yet.  We've barely begun to actually try.

So, I'm not 'for' or 'against' the rework.  The rework just is.  It's the only game in town, unless you're going to stop playing WoWS.

Also the high tier artillery ship AA has been over corrected as has the ability of fighter planes that the various attack planes can launch (they all seems to have permanent Strafe mode on), but that will be sorted out over time.

Infinite planes will probably be an issue on the Live server, but it is impossible to tell because too many people can't be arsed to play the PTS so you are always playing against Bots so games come down to whose bots are dumber than whose and almost always end up as CV vs CV matches.

• Bad 1

[RLGN]
Members
8,688 posts
17,952 battles
2 hours ago, mavfin87 said:

Don’t want CVs? You jest sir.

Don’t want this rework?

That would be closer to being correct.