LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ship PREVIEW: HMS Exeter

101 comments in this topic

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
611 posts

I'm curious what your final rating will be when WG will actually lets you play her. Looking forward to that particular update.

Seems weird that they wouldn't let you actually test her right now, though.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,158 posts
4,372 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Armour02-1024x576.jpg

Great write-up as always, Mouse! But I'm gonna have to return to port because this pic killed me.

Edit: Is that a typo on the effective HP graph, or did you mean to put Nurnberg in with the tier 5s?

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
686 posts
5,944 battles

Nice review. Thank you LWM i look forward to seeing this in game

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,862 posts
6,889 battles
46 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

There aren't a lot of exciting cruisers at tier V anymore with only Furutaka and Kirov really standing out as hidden gems. 

I would also add Königsberg to that list, provided the captain knows to never get hit at all.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[SYN]
Members
14,871 posts
11,351 battles

Exeter is looking better than most of the T6 CAs too.

• Cool 2

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,413 posts
15,881 battles

It's a strong looking Tier V Cruiser.  Squishy, but she's got stealth and Repair Party, Smoke.  RN CL players should already be very familiar playing with the limits of their concealment and Smoke CD timers.

This ship also looks too strong compared to most of her Tier V Cruiser peers.  Furutaka stands as a challenger, but she doesn't have Smoke nor Repair Party.  But she is tankier and the guns are strong for Tier V.  But the other Tier V Cruisers are just hot garbage.

[MLPVA]
Members
209 posts
3,114 battles

Food for my Graf Spee? Time to re-write the outcome of the Battle of the River Plate.

• Boring 4

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,413 posts
15,881 battles
6 minutes ago, DarfTarts421 said:

Food for my Graf Spee? Time to re-write the outcome of the Battle of the River Plate.

Nothing to rewrite.  The dumba** Germans got suckered by superior British espionage efforts and scuttled their own ship thinking a vastly superior British force was out there, when there wan't.

That will always be fact.

• Boring 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
2,158 posts
4,372 battles
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Nothing to rewrite.  The dumba** Germans got suckered by superior British espionage efforts and scuttled their own ship thinking a vastly superior British force was out there, when there wan't.

Well even without that espionage getting away for Graf Spee would've been dicey. She's still outnumbered three to one and would need to head at least to the Mediterranean for repairs while having a rather sizeable hole in her bow courtesy of Exeter. Not the best of outlooks.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,413 posts
15,881 battles
1 minute ago, Landsraad said:

Well even without that espionage getting away for Graf Spee would've been dicey. She's still outnumbered three to one and would need to head at least to the Mediterranean for repairs while having a rather sizeable hole in her bow courtesy of Exeter. Not the best of outlooks.

It's what they get for running around waters with the Royal Navy looking to put its foot down on someone.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,584 posts
4,186 battles

Thanks for the review.  She's definitely going to be an interesting one to watch.

7197354648_815b70f657_b.jpg

• Cool 1

[_-_]
Members
1,593 posts

Can't wait for this one. HMS Exeter was a magnificent ship and deserves a place in the game.

• Cool 5

[SIM]
Members
3,046 posts
4,851 battles

I find myself quite interested in this ship, and will hopefully be in a situation where I can pick her up when she releases. Fingers crossed that they don't nerfhammer her too hard, as the game already has plenty of mediocre mid-tier premium cruisers (not asking for OVERPOWERED, but I'd love to see her as a Gudbote).

• Cool 1

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,686 posts
8,169 battles
7 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

I find myself quite interested in this ship, and will hopefully be in a situation where I can pick her up when she releases. Fingers crossed that they don't nerfhammer her too hard, as the game already has plenty of mediocre mid-tier premium cruisers (not asking for OVERPOWERED, but I'd love to see her as a Gudbote).

As she stands right now, she looks borderline OP.  If she gets the British engine power then she definitely will be so.  We'll see how gameplay turns out.  I admit I would love to see her bumped up to tier VI, if only to face off against Spee and buddy up with Leander and Perth.

• Cool 6

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
2,158 posts
4,372 battles
2 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

As she stands right now, she looks borderline OP.  If she gets the British engine power then she definitely will be so.  We'll see how gameplay turns out.  I admit I would love to see her bumped up to tier VI, if only to face off against Spee and buddy up with Leander and Perth.

Indeed, give her standard RN handling and put her at tier 6 and she looks wonderful.

[HYDRO]
Members
2,257 posts
4,211 battles
22 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Not only that, but she would get an armor bump to 16mm, making her able to bounce 203mm AP.

Who knows though, the tier VI fate may be reserved for County :Smile_hiding:. I would love to see a Norfolk or Suffolk sailing around.

Edited by warheart1992

[XG]
Members
150 posts
3,030 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Langsdorf wasn't going to get far. The vital De Laval certrifugal fuel oil purifiers for the finicky German diesel main engines were hors de combat. That was the main reason he put in to Montevideo.

Also, HMS Cumberland was in fact fast approaching from the Falklands.

Nothing is ever quite as cut and dried as popular legend makes out.

• Cool 7

[POP]
Members
1,283 posts
16,260 battles

The day of Reckoning is approaching, old scores will be settled, wrongs will be righted and honour restored :Smile_izmena: with The Admirals triumphant victories.

Image result for graf spee wows

Also great review LWM look forward to buying the ship when its released :Smile_Default:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[POP]
Members
1,283 posts
16,260 battles
2 minutes ago, Gerbertz said:

gspee06.jpg

Amusing :Smile-angry:

• Funny 1

[WOLF9]
Members
349 posts
4,174 battles

The news on the torpedo arcs was surprising to me, as based on the way they are mounted I assumed very narrow firing arcs.  Welcome news indeed.  Overall I kind of feel like Exeter is designed to abuse cruisers, while other cruisers are also potentially her biggest weakness.  I suspect her armor is thin enough that most BBs will overpen for days, but CA/CL AP is going to shred her.  I will follow her continued development with interest.  As always, thanks for all your hard work LWM!

[INTEL]
Members
6,909 posts
27,696 battles

Nice review. I saw Flamu's commentary and he said it needs a nerf as it is somewhat OP.

He also said after commenting on the overmatch of most of her armor, that the citadel is way down, lower than other T6 cruisers so it might be harder to cit.