Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TheLastSterling

Not liking Fletcher at all

18 comments in this topic

[WAIFU]
Members
68 posts
5,485 battles

I've had Up until the Fletcher a great time in the USN DD line. Benson especially was my most enjoyable ship with a 65% WR. I bought the Fletcher thinking it would be better than the Benson. however I just can't seem to do anything with it, right now having a 33% WR. I just can't seem to do the damage I normal do with the Benson, it feels like every other ships just outguns me in every fight regardless of what I'm doing. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,184 posts
12,189 battles

It's immensely better than Benson in every way. It also makes a great torpedo bote.

[SALVO]
Members
18,305 posts
18,887 battles

OMG!  The Fletcher is arguably the best DD in the entire USN DD line!!!  Many think that it's better tier for tier than the tier 10 Gearing.  When fully upgraded, it has excellent torpedoes.    Will you get outgunned by some DDs?  Yes.  The Kitakaze will outgun you.  I'm not sure about the Jutland.  Will the tier 9 Russian DDs out gun you?  it depends on the range.   At close range where you're gun trajectories flatten out, you should outgun them.  At longer ranges where USN DD guns are floaty, the flatter Russian shell arcs will probably eat you up.  But overall, the Fletcher is an outstanding DD at tier 9.

[WAIFU]
Members
68 posts
5,485 battles

That's what I hear from everybody, and yet it just doesn't seem to be. I'm not playing the Fletcher any different that from the Benson so I don't understand what is going on. 

Members
4,709 posts
7,090 battles
18 minutes ago, TheLastSterling said:

I've had Up until the Fletcher a great time in the USN DD line. Benson especially was my most enjoyable ship with a 65% WR. I bought the Fletcher thinking it would be better than the Benson. however I just can't seem to do anything with it, right now having a 33% WR. I just can't seem to do the damage I normal do with the Benson, it feels like every other ships just outguns me in every fight regardless of what I'm doing. 

Well this may sound crazy....but DON"T play it if it's ruining your life!  Ya. :Smile_teethhappy:

Members
5,127 posts
5,955 battles
22 minutes ago, TheLastSterling said:

I'm not playing the Fletcher any different that from the Benson so I don't understand what is going on. 

This is a small part of the problem of your approach. Fletcher is guaranteed to see radar cruisers, and extremely capable counter-DD destroyers. It requires a different finesse and a more cautious approach early to mid game. Fletcher is extremely strong in close quarters, but you have to force your opponents into a disadvantageous knife fight.

If you haven't done so already, use the free exp to at least get the upgraded torpedoes. They alone will allow you to contribute a bit better early game as they have longer range and better speed over the Benson torps Fletcher has stock.

[WAIFU]
Members
68 posts
5,485 battles
3 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

This is a small part of the problem of your approach. Fletcher is guaranteed to see radar cruisers, and extremely capable counter-DD destroyers. It requires a different finesse and a more cautious approach early to mid game. Fletcher is extremely strong in close quarters, but you have to force your opponents into a disadvantageous knife fight.

If you haven't done so already, use the free exp to at least get the upgraded torpedoes. They alone will allow you to contribute a bit better early game as they have longer range and better speed over the Benson torps Fletcher has stock.

Yeah, I've already have everything unlocked. I do try to be cautious about radar cruisers, keeping an eye of where they are on the map and predicting where they would be(I'm a Des Moines main so that helps).

The one thing I can say I'm doing better in the Fletcher over Benson is hitting with torpedos. 

Members
2,116 posts
10,681 battles
19 hours ago, TheLastSterling said:

Do you have it fully upgraded yet?

Beta Testers
1,883 posts
10,762 battles
21 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

What he said. You really, really, REALLY need the upgraded torpedoes for Fletcher to work.

[KRAK]
Members
936 posts
11,423 battles

Yes, he has everything unlocked. I also did better in my Benson than my Fletcher, so watching these set of posts for an idea(s).

I have a 38% win rate after 39 games.

Had a 47% win rate after 176 games in Benson, so the OP is a way better player than me already.

Edited by Ericson38

[WAIFU]
Members
68 posts
5,485 battles
5 hours ago, chewonit said:

What he said. You really, really, REALLY need the upgraded torpedoes for Fletcher to work.

On 1/12/2019 at 2:09 PM, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Yeah I have the ship fully researched; hull, torps, and range. I use propulsion mod, torp reload mod, and systems mod. I've had the occasional battle where I've done well in, sadly not enough. I honestly want to improve, yet I just can't seem to win battles. 
image.thumb.png.59c2af7dbd480f7111b61eb294f23996.png

[WOLF6]
Members
2,300 posts
5,128 battles

Small sample size? You’ll recover over time. Fletch sees 9 and 10 always, tough crowd. 

Spec it for torps, use them early game. Stay concealed, save guns and smoke for late to mid after the shite eating radar cruisers are fewer or dead. Then smoke up and shoot stuff. 

[WOLF9]
Members
1,299 posts
On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 8:07 PM, TheLastSterling said:

Ten our Father's, Ten Hail Mary's and oh yeah, an Apostle's Creed.

serious heresy.jpg

[SIM]
Members
3,017 posts
4,807 battles
On 1/13/2019 at 8:27 PM, TheLastSterling said:

Yeah I have the ship fully researched; hull, torps, and range. I use propulsion mod, torp reload mod, and systems mod. I've had the occasional battle where I've done well in, sadly not enough. I honestly want to improve, yet I just can't seem to win battles. 
image.thumb.png.59c2af7dbd480f7111b61eb294f23996.png

If I may be so bold; if you're putting up those kind of numbers and still losing then you may not be the problem. Tier IX and X is the last stop for the potato crop, and there are some horrendously bad players congregated there. Keep playing the Fletcher, get a better sense of your match-ups against other DDs, and your own numbers should improve even if your win rate doesn't.

Members
277 posts
4,315 battles
17 hours ago, SkaerKrow said:

If I may be so bold; if you're putting up those kind of numbers and still losing then you may not be the problem. Tier IX and X is the last stop for the potato crop, and there are some horrendously bad players congregated there. Keep playing the Fletcher, get a better sense of your match-ups against other DDs, and your own numbers should improve even if your win rate doesn't.

So I would say exactly the opposite.  It is actually kinda easy to put up relatively large damage numbers in IX and X matches starting fires and floods and the occasional dev strike on a potato BB, but that isn't the role of a USN DD.  A USN DD is about killing other DDs, it is the best DD at this task bar none.  USN DD's should have relatively low damage output because it should be primarily against DDs.

Always stay between your team and the enemy DDs, it is your job to screen your team and prevent enemy DD's from landing torp hits and to take vision control.  Vision control is probably the most important aspect to winning this game.  Dominating vision control means winning the match, and it has a greater effect than the damage output of any one ship .  

I'll admit with more CV's around and so much radar it is rather thankless work, which is why I have quit playing them.  But that's basically how you do it.

Edited by Danyir_Amore

[SIM]
Members
3,017 posts
4,807 battles
On 1/17/2019 at 9:43 PM, Danyir_Amore said:

So I would say exactly the opposite.  It is actually kinda easy to put up relatively large damage numbers in IX and X matches starting fires and floods and the occasional dev strike on a potato BB, but that isn't the role of a USN DD.  A USN DD is about killing other DDs, it is the best DD at this task bar none.  USN DD's should have relatively low damage output because it should be primarily against DDs.

Always stay between your team and the enemy DDs, it is your job to screen your team and prevent enemy DD's from landing torp hits and to take vision control.  Vision control is probably the most important aspect to winning this game.  Dominating vision control means winning the match, and it has a greater effect than the damage output of any one ship .  

I'll admit with more CV's around and so much radar it is rather thankless work, which is why I have quit playing them.  But that's basically how you do it.

While I get what you're going for, with those kind of numbers, it doesn't matter what role that he's playing. He's dealing a tremendous amount of damage (with torpedo alpha, not just DoTs) and accounting for kills, which is always valuable. Agree to disagree or whatever, but I'll take a DD that can drop almost 200k on the enemy team every time over someone who tries to dictate vision control at a tier where radar often mitigates that kind of play outright.

Members
277 posts
4,315 battles
18 hours ago, SkaerKrow said:

While I get what you're going for, with those kind of numbers, it doesn't matter what role that he's playing. He's dealing a tremendous amount of damage (with torpedo alpha, not just DoTs) and accounting for kills, which is always valuable. Agree to disagree or whatever, but I'll take a DD that can drop almost 200k on the enemy team every time over someone who tries to dictate vision control at a tier where radar often mitigates that kind of play outright.

It very much does matter if he sacrificed vision control in order to get those hits, and given that the team lost despite his high damage this likely occurred.  Vision control does in fact result in more damage being done to the enemy than a single ship is actually capable of and far greater survivability of friendlies.  It is far more than the simple spotting damage counter measures as well.  when a team has better intel it lets them set up in advantageous positions before the fight starts and avoid disadvantageous positions.  That survivability of friendlies is probably more important than anything else a DD does because it makes them responsible for all of the damage done by friendlies after they otherwise would have died.  Unfortunately there really isn't a good way to measure this which is why it is such a thankless job, and why DD's that don't have such good numbers 

Think of it like this, would you rather have one player on your team perform 100% better than average, or all 12 players perform at 10% better than average.  This is a lesson I learned on the Mahan.  If you look up my stats you will see that I did almost twice the average damage per match but my win-rate was still only 50%.  If you look at the Benson, Fletcher, and Gearing you will see that while I don't do as much over the average damage (I still do a lot, I mean I gotta brag some) my win-rates are much higher at 62.5%, 57.14%, and 72.41% respectively (like I said, bragging)

[WAIFU]
Members
68 posts
5,485 battles

Well, I've been giving fletcher some time so far and I'm having a much better time in her now. I've been playing her a bit more passive then I would normal do in a DD and that seems to work out better. I've only started to realize how much Radar is causing most of my problems; playing too aggressive and getting attacked by radar.

Sign in to follow this