You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Blitzkrieger

current version of cv's/AA

21 comments in this topic

[SYN]
Beta Testers
80 posts
4,789 battles

i have done a fair bit of testing on the test and this time around I have come to notice a few things.

this time around planes take far longer to resupply if you lose a squadron.

AA is even against a lone montana super deadly. the flak was so thick my planes just melted.

I assume bot's aren't captain specced and fully loaded on AA equips. so AA seems to be far more powerful.

people who use common sense and stick together are gonna melt planes easily. but we know how selfish and conceited people are as i can be a bit of a lone wolf to.

because they never let us use new ship lines on test prior to release I can't say how uk cv's are gonna play we will have to wait and see really although i'd love to give em a go before hand.

I played my midway full AA build and shot down over 50 planes using fighters and self defense AA. I do have to say some of the captain perks for cv's seem pointless.

losing that AA range boost to me doesn't seem to make much of a difference. people are gonna get use to setting AA zones and planes will drop fast especially if they group up.

loners will have to hope they have there AA intact to survive. and yes my writing can be a bit all over the place but speaking my mind has always made more sense when i talk than when i type.

• Cool 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
5,971 posts
7,952 battles

AA is too strong, please nerf, pitié!

• Bad 2

[RLGN]
Members
9,402 posts
18,804 battles
1 minute ago, LoveBote said:

...and yet I’ve already seen a a post about a DM that STILL only shot down a plane or two because the carrier used speed boost to get their squad past LR AA...

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
112 posts
4,356 battles

I've notced stronger AA in a CV against bots, but when I try to test my AA in a CA I keep getting stuck in matches with no CVs.

In CVs the AA is strong but I can deal with it. I still get decent damage.

Edited by ZER01025
  • Bad 1

[WOLF1]
Members
3,796 posts
1,512 battles

They did gave Langley back torpedo bombers...drops 1 torp per pass, <4K damage if/when it hits...

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,558 posts
13,442 battles

A lot of airplane survivability is now up to the CV player to not fly through flak.

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
112 posts
4,356 battles

Finally got a game against a Ruiho in my Leander. He did sink me but it took a few tries, I shot down 10 planes though.

[S-N-D]
Members
2,054 posts
6,111 battles
1 minute ago, Edgecase said:

A lot of airplane survivability is now up to the CV player to not fly through flak.

Yeah, because there is some magic technique that actually works outside of not approaching a ship. They might as well just remove CVs from the game. No one is going to bother. At least i'll be getting a refund for the premiums. I'm sure they'll have a 90% refund rate on Kaga and Saipan.

Edited by _Caliph_
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
5,971 posts
7,952 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

...and yet I’ve already seen a a post about a DM that STILL only shot down a plane or two because the carrier used speed boost to get their squad past LR AA...

On the other hand, I have just come out of a PTS battle, enemy CV shot down 85 planes, yet my reserves were still plentiful, full squadrons ready to take off at the battles end.

This is going to be very awkward to balance/

1. On one hand, we have cvs, (t8 and t6) that have to be balanced versus a 5 tier spread of enemy ships (+ / - 2), which is madness.
  2. On the other, AA effectiveness will be balanced versus CV squadron reconstitution times (reserves). As AA is made stronger (to the point of being unavoidable, and even more brainless than ever), so CV reserves will be improved (and so more brainless than ever). There will be no winners in this race, just more dumbing down of the game.
  3. My answer : nerf CV squadron readiness/assembly times; nerf AA too./ This approach makes it possible for t6 CVs to contribute appropriately to t8 dominated battles, and t8 cvs to tier 10, but at the same time, any losses become costly losses.
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[WOLF1]
Members
3,796 posts
1,512 battles
1 hour ago, LoveBote said:

It's a little overtuned at low levels now.  A Myogi shot down 10 planes...

• Funny 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
5,971 posts
7,952 battles
12 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

A lot of the flak, on PTS right now, is simply, unavoidable. You cannot fly around the flak, the air bursts form horizontal closely packed lines, literally XXXXXXXXXXXXX. As we have no altitude control we cannot dive/climb, while their proximity produces a wall of doom for squadrons. 

Still, the OP totally brainless AA, doesn't affect me too much, as my reserves/readiness (admittedly only after a half dozen t8 battles), are plentiful. Losing an entire squadron has negligible impact on  CVs, for now.

• Cool 2

[WSU]
Members
154 posts
7,792 battles

CV on PTS feels more balanced now, but it kinda boring for CV.

T4rockets seem to be the most effective as 1 torp does little dmg and getting a flood is rare. Orion shredded my planes every time.

T10 is hard to hit CAs with torps. At least human players. DM and Wor dodged with ease. I could hit BBs with torps, but again, flooding was rare. US torps are a joke. So you lose a squadron of torp planes making 3 passes at a BB and get 2-4 hits with no flood.

AA at T10 is not too bad 1v1, but when bots all rush to caps together, the flak/AA is brutal due to overlapping AA fields. CV AA is completely OP. Planes are reloading slower, so at 18 min in, I had 1/2 strength squadrons to work with.

A couple visual issues I found are the flak burst graphics are so large that I can't see the aiming reticle thru it. Also, when torping into the sun, the sun glare on the water completely obscured the torp reticle.

Overall, I found it kinda boring. Fly to boat, attack, lose planes, repeat 2x maybe, repeat. I got bored with it, especially when reds are all clustered together cause you just know your planes will prob only get 1, maybe 2, attacks.

[NATO]
Beta Testers
1,932 posts
6,047 battles

I have to say the state of AA is almost laughable. The Richy and Biz were almost completely unapproachable, at 5km out planes started to drop.

shot-19.01.11_21.56.10-0540.jpg

shot-19.01.11_21.56.03-0801.jpg

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
9,402 posts
18,804 battles
7 minutes ago, permanentnoob said:

Overall, I found it kinda boring. Fly to boat, attack, lose planes, repeat 2x maybe, repeat. I got bored with it, especially when reds are all clustered together cause you just know your planes will prob only get 1, maybe 2, attacks.

My same reaction in the TST beta.

For all intents and purposes nothing but raw damage farming overplayed by the graphics of flying a squadron, and perhaps cut short now and again by summoned fighters and AA.

As soon as clustered ships are realized to be the anti-carrier, you’ll wind up with two balls of ships on opposite sides of the map, with the occasional outlier, and it will become pointless to drive a carrier because doing anything will be impossible for anyone but the skill experts; you know, the ones this rework is supposed to make less influential.

Members
795 posts
5,333 battles
41 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

A lot of the flak, on PTS right now, is simply, unavoidable. You cannot fly around the flak, the air bursts form horizontal closely packed lines, literally XXXXXXXXXXXXX. As we have no altitude control we cannot dive/climb, while their proximity produces a wall of doom for squadrons. 

Still, the OP totally brainless AA, doesn't affect me too much, as my reserves/readiness (admittedly only after a half dozen t8 battles), are plentiful. Losing an entire squadron has negligible impact on  CVs, for now.

I’ve found that Changing speed makes a big difference. Speed up and the flank burst start popping behind you then slow down and they will be to far ahead of you by then it should be time to drop your ordnance. At tier 10 losing planes hurts a lot more. Saw a Midway today that only had 1 plane torpedo squadrons toward the end of the match. 

Edited by Forgottensoldier117

[TF_34]
Beta Testers
42 posts
11,992 battles

In my testing today:

Full AA spec Kurfust - can't hold against air attacks.

Full AA spec Conq - can't hold against air attacks.

No AA anything Yamato shows practically the same performance in a battle as the 2 above.

Planes killed or not killed make zero difference in the amount of damage I took or the speed of new waves coming.

[SBS]
Members
3,257 posts
2,408 battles
41 minutes ago, ZER01025 said:

Finally got a game against a Ruiho in my Leander. He did sink me but it took a few tries, I shot down 10 planes though.

Serious question, was that worth it?  Was shooting down 10 planes and getting killed a fair trade?  Was that compelling game play?  Maybe it was, maybe you enjoyed the cat and mouse game.

6 minutes ago, hipcanuck said:

I have to say the state of AA is almost laughable.

How many rework CV games have you played altogether?  I ask because it does get easier to dodge with some practice.  I only had time to play a few T4 games today, but my experience in all the rounds of testing so far is the same tier AA isn't too bad when you dodge.  Bottom tier and you've got an uphill battle on your hands.

Just now, Forgottensoldier117 said:

At tier 10 losing planes hurts a lot more. Saw a Midway today that only had 1 plane torpedo squadrons toward the end of the match.

I can't help but feel a hard hanger limit might be a better solution for both sides.  You could make the limit balanced to be fair, and reduce the regen times considerably.  The CV players will have planes as long as you don't play dumb, and the surface ship players will feel like that can actually do some good shooting down planes.   

• Bad 1

Members
795 posts
5,333 battles
43 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

I can't help but feel a hard hanger limit might be a better solution for both sides.  You could make the limit balanced to be fair, and reduce the regen times considerably.  The CV players will have planes as long as you don't play dumb, and the surface ship players will feel like that can actually do some good shooting down planes.   

I disagree. The unlimited planes really boils down to a huge life improvement for the cv player especially at lower tier. Getting deplaned is an extremely frustrating experience and at lower tier it was a problem because The CVs at that lower tier have such small hangers. I have been playing my ryujo on live over the past few weeks and I can tell you the small hanger makes it a stressful experience at least for me personally. That said you absolutely can not let CVs throw planes away with out penalty. CVs need to be punished for poor target selection and careless flying of planes like flying into fighters or over ships you don’t need to. The reload timer for lost planes gives WG a simple verible that they can dail up or down for each ship in order to strike a balance between the comfort of not being deplaned and the penalties for being careless with ones planes. 

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,558 posts
13,442 battles
4 hours ago, LoveBote said:

Unless you're charging a very large ball of ships or one of the dedicated AA cruisers, I haven't seen any truly unavoidable flakwalls. Also, all aircraft types change altitude when engaging a strike, giving you one on-demand height change (i.e. flak dodge) per attack run. There also appears to be an invulnerability window for planes during the "flyover" period during which you have not yet regained camera position on the unused planes (although you can actually already control them).

[HINON]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
2,560 posts
4,805 battles
8 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Unless you're charging a very large ball of ships or one of the dedicated AA cruisers, I haven't seen any truly unavoidable flakwalls. Also, all aircraft types change altitude when engaging a strike, giving you one on-demand height change (i.e. flak dodge) per attack run. There also appears to be an invulnerability window for planes during the "flyover" period during which you have not yet regained camera position on the unused planes (although you can actually already control them).

Try attacking an Orion in T4 and remember that these are bots not real players.  It's become a bit of a challenge now to get a torp or Bomb strike on an orion before loosing the whole wave.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,558 posts
13,442 battles
26 minutes ago, MaliceA4Thought said:

Try attacking an Orion in T4 and remember that these are bots not real players.  It's become a bit of a challenge now to get a torp or Bomb strike on an orion before loosing the whole wave.

Here you go. Don't see what the problem was.

20190112_025000_PJSA104-Hosho_10_NE_big_race.wowsreplay

Edit: Don't forget you have to drag this file onto the PTS client .exe to view it.

Edited by Edgecase