Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Kuckoo

An Important Heads Up When Doing a Fresh Reinstall

40 comments in this topic

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles

EDIT:  This only applies if you choose to use the older game launcher instead of the Wargaming Control Center.

Recently did a complete reinstall.  The old install was some thirteen or fourteen updates old.

Thankfully there is an option to download and install the game using the "classic" launcher, which is what I chose, and not the Wargaming Control Center.

But...

The Control Center will download and install itself on your system anyway.

In addition, without any notification, the WGC will start itself and run in the background whenever you turn on your system.  Every time you turn on your system you'll have to go into the task manager and turn off WGC via the Processes tab.  I'm not certain if it turns itself back on again when playing the game as I've disabled the WGC through other means, so you might want to check.

Alternatively, and only if you're comfortable messing with files, you can go where the WGC is installed (C:\ProgramData\Wargaming.net\GameCenter) and simply disable or delete the WGC executable.  Also, disable or delete the wgc_api executable that is installed in your game's root directory.

Edited by Kuckoo
  • Boring 1

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles
5 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

Ahem...

yK985lu.jpg

Any other issues?

JCC45, what you are showing is when you are already using the Game Center and not the classic launcher.  The point is thus redundant since you've opted to use the WGC.

Edited by Kuckoo
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,303 posts
29 minutes ago, Kuckoo said:

Recently did a complete reinstall.  The old install was some thirteen or fourteen updates old.

Thankfully there is an option to download and install the game using the "classic" launcher, which is what I chose, and not the Wargaming Control Center.

But...

The Control Center will download and install itself on your system anyway.

In addition, without any notification, the WGC will start itself and run in the background whenever you turn on your system.  Every time you turn on your system you'll have to go into the task manager and turn off WGC via the Processes tab.  I'm not certain if it turns itself back on again when playing the game as I've disabled the WGC through other means, so you might want to check.

Alternatively, and only if you're comfortable messing with files, you can go where the WGC is installed (C:\ProgramData\Wargaming.net\GameCenter) and simply disable or delete the WGC executable.  Also, disable or delete the wgc_api executable that is installed in your game's root directory.

The very fact that WGC downloads and installs even if you choose to use the classic launcher is precisely the kind of thing that makes me refuse to ever use WGC, and just another example of why it's so hard to trust anything Wargaming does or says.

• Cool 4
  • Meh 1

[YORHA]
Members
5,133 posts
10,306 battles
9 minutes ago, Kuckoo said:

JCC45, what you are showing is when you are already using the Game Center and not the classic launcher.  The point is thus redundant since you've opted to use the WGC.

Instead of diving for your keyboard to react look a little closer at what I posted.

What I am showing is that your statement  " the WGC will start itself and run in the background whenever you turn on your system.  Every time you turn on your system you'll have to go into the task manager and turn off WGC via the Processes tab.  I'm not certain if it turns itself back on again when playing the game as I've disabled the WGC through other means, so you might want to check."  is uninformed and incorrect.  

And when you turn off the launcher (by using the middle option which I choose not to do) it stays off.  Completely.  No processes running at all.

[WOLFG]
Members
30,595 posts
9,232 battles

Or you can do what I do: go into msconfig and disable it on the startup menu.

I've already done that for War Thunder and Steam, because they like to download updates whenever they feel like it.

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles
2 hours ago, JCC45 said:

Instead of diving for your keyboard to react look a little closer at what I posted.

What I am showing is that your statement  " the WGC will start itself and run in the background whenever you turn on your system.  Every time you turn on your system you'll have to go into the task manager and turn off WGC via the Processes tab.  I'm not certain if it turns itself back on again when playing the game as I've disabled the WGC through other means, so you might want to check."  is uninformed and incorrect.  

And when you turn off the launcher (by using the middle option which I choose not to do) it stays off.  Completely.  No processes running at all.

I've read very carefully what you've posted.

Please understand this carefully.  There are two separate launchers currently available when downloading and installing the game, the older "Classic" launcher, and the newer WGC that the website defaults to and that you are using as a basis for your responses.  The Legacy launcher - to which the topic applies, and the Wargaming Control Center - which you are basing your responses - are not the same thing.  The issue I'm describing applies to those who use the older launcher and have chosen not to use the WCG (which, again, you are using).  If you are using the new launcher then the issues described in the OP simply do not apply.

I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, most those who frequent the forums would already know the difference.

Some like the new launcher and that's fine.  Others do not.  There are concerns about the new launcher, much of which has been detailed in other threads so I will not go over it here.  The fact that it installs itself into your system and starts itself on system bootup, despite the user specifically choosing not to install or use it in the first place, only highlights one of the concerns with this system.  Again, if you are already using the WGC by default or choice then the point is moot.

[-KAK-]
Members
607 posts
11,742 battles

His point is that there's a very easy way to prevent the game center from turning on when you start your computer up. 

Whether you use the classic launcher, or the gaming center, you are A) complaining that the WGC is installed without your express permission, and B) that it starts itself automatically when you turn on your computer, correct? If so, you simply need to open the WGC for a moment (It won't kill you), and click the buttons he's indicated. That will prevent the WGC from starting when you boot your computer.

As for A), yes. It's a pain. Not much you can do other than uninstalling it though, which also fixes B).

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,303 posts
1 minute ago, TheOmegaDuck said:

His point is that there's a very easy way to prevent the game center from turning on when you start your computer up. 

Whether you use the classic launcher, or the gaming center, you are A) complaining that the WGC is installed without your express permission, and B) that it starts itself automatically when you turn on your computer, correct? If so, you simply need to open the WGC for a moment (It won't kill you), and click the buttons he's indicated. That will prevent the WGC from starting when you boot your computer.

As for A), yes. It's a pain. Not much you can do other than uninstalling it though, which also fixes B).

First, WGC shouldn't even be installing in the first place if the customer chooses the classic launcher install. 

Second, WGC should not be defaulting to load on startup or run in the background -- those should be opt-in or choices made at install.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Meh 1

[-KAK-]
Members
607 posts
11,742 battles
13 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

First, WGC shouldn't even be installing in the first place if the customer chooses the classic launcher install. 

Second, WGC should not be defaulting to load on startup or run in the background -- those should be opt-in or choices made at install.

Agreed 100%. Unfortunately, as tech develops, this seems to be the trend. Companies make more and more decisions for you when you install their software, and users have less and less knowledge on how to actually use their devices. I blame it on the rise of mobile devices and the general approach of giving the user as few controls as possible. Whether that's true or not, this is where we're at.

15 minutes ago, Harathan said:

They'll be taking that Classic Launcher option away at some point, I'm sure. Some people will find any excuse to freak out.

TBH, I'm surprised it's still here. I expected that once they made the WGC their preferred method, they'd disable the classic launcher within a month or two. 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,303 posts
29 minutes ago, TheOmegaDuck said:

TBH, I'm surprised it's still here. I expected that once they made the WGC their preferred method, they'd disable the classic launcher within a month or two. 

Perhaps they've gotten enough negative feedback regarding WGC's behavior that they're reluctant to put customers in a spot to refuse to continue with the game.  

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,303 posts
Just now, Harathan said:

You mean the behaviour that can be turned off with a check box that takes 5 seconds of effort?

First, a lot more than that.  Start with digging around on the computer and reporting back to WG, and acting as a distributed file server for WG in the background (of course, even the damn Launcher the latter that if you don't know where to change the hidden setting).   

Second, there are plenty of reports of those checkboxes having no effect or partial effect on what they're supposed to change.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Meh 1

[YORHA]
Members
5,133 posts
10,306 battles
2 hours ago, Kuckoo said:

I've read very carefully what you've posted.

Please understand this carefully.  There are two separate launchers currently available when downloading and installing the game, the older "Classic" launcher, and the newer WGC that the website defaults to and that you are using as a basis for your responses.  The Legacy launcher - to which the topic applies, and the Wargaming Control Center - which you are basing your responses - are not the same thing.  The issue I'm describing applies to those who use the older launcher and have chosen not to use the WCG (which, again, you are using).  If you are using the new launcher then the issues described in the OP simply do not apply.

I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, most those who frequent the forums would already know the difference.

Some like the new launcher and that's fine.  Others do not.  There are concerns about the new launcher, much of which has been detailed in other threads so I will not go over it here.  The fact that it installs itself into your system and starts itself on system bootup, despite the user specifically choosing not to install or use it in the first place, only highlights one of the concerns with this system.  Again, if you are already using the WGC by default or choice then the point is moot.

You are adorable.

• Meh 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,303 posts
1 hour ago, Harathan said:

Checking for DLL files in your install directory is not "digging around on your computer" and if it was, every game that has a separate launcher could be accused of this. That's crackpot conspiracy level paranoia. 

Not only does it dig farther than that (so does Steam, so does Origin, so does etc, and I refuse to use those as well), it also then reports that information back to Wargaming (and again, so do those others). 

Valve, EA, Wargaming, whoever, have no business snooping around the customer's computer looking for what hardware it's running, what other files are installed, etc.

You mean like practically every single MMO launcher does, including some of the most popular MMOs in the world? And by the way, this is a massively hypocritical complaint from the guy who in another thread was bleating about how everyone should put in a minimum amount of effort so others can enjoy the game. That doesn't extend to you helping others patch their game when there's an update? Yeah, like I said, nobody owes anyone anything, but apparently you feel everyone owes you.

False equivalency of the first order, there.   File hosting has nothing to do with relationships between users. 

It's not the customer's job to host files for Wargaming or any other company, or help them serve those files to other customers.   I don't expect any other customer to act as the file server for my updates, either, and furthermore I don't WANT files that have been on some rando's computer.  

I always disable torrents, etc, on everything that uses them optionally, and I refuse to install games or any other software that won't work without distributed updates.   AND so should everyone else.   It's not your job to host files for Wargaming or any other company. 

Please demonstrate how you can get a partial effect on "Launch Game Center when you start Windows".

There are multiple reports of customers turning off the "run on startup" and "run in background" options in WGC, only to have WGC do exactly that anyway. 

And there's the issue that started this thread -- a customer who choose the non-WGC option to install WOWS, only to find that WGC had still be installed and set up to run on startup and in the background, behind his back and without his permission. 

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles
2 hours ago, Harathan said:

You mean the behaviour that can be turned off with a check box that takes 5 seconds of effort?

Dude...

I'm not using the game center.  The gaming center and the classic launcher are not the same thing.  The classic launcher doesn't have the option to turn off auto start at startup, because it doesn't do that in the place.

What about that is so monumentally difficult to understand?

• Meh 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,303 posts
Just now, Kuckoo said:

Dude...

I'm not using the game center.  The gaming center and the classic launcher are not the same thing.  The classic launcher doesn't have the option to turn off auto start at startup, because it doesn't do that in the place.

What about that is so monumentally difficult to understand?

It's not about understanding, it's about certain posters who are just eager to take shots at other posters, regardless of the facts.

To clarify something -- when WGC was running in the background, could you get into WGC to change the settings at all?  Or was it just the background process running without any way to get WGC's to open so you could uncheck those settings? 

I know you didn't intend to install it or run it, and you were using the Launcher for updates etc.  Some users have mentioned not being able to get to the settings that others have "helpfully" pointed you to.

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
1,226 posts
4,464 battles
16 minutes ago, Harathan said:

Directly equivalent; if a user can't patch, they can't play, thus spoiling their enjoyment of the game. But of course, only your fun matters, right?

Quite possibly the dumbest troll I've seen on these forums so far.

:cap_popcorn:

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,303 posts
26 minutes ago, Harathan said:

Directly equivalent; if a user can't patch, they can't play, thus spoiling their enjoyment of the game. But of course, only your fun matters, right?

No, it's not the customers job to help any game company distribute it's patches, that's why it's possible to opt out. The folks who do leave it switched on do so because they realise they're improving the experience of other users. Not that you actually care about the experience of other users as long as you personally are enjoying the game.

Something something, not owing anything to anyone else who plays the game, something something...

Oh, wait, I remember where I've seen your name before.   You're still worked up because we called you out for being a snot about Co-Op and saying it was OK to treat it like a joke, ruin Co-op battles for other players, etc, aren't you?   And you think that trying to twist that around to use it as a personal attack "gotcha" is a great idea and will make your position look so much better? 

:Smile_popcorn:

Nothing about leaving torrents on or using torrents "improves the experience" for users.  It's just game publishers trying to foist the costs of running update servers off on to the customers as much as possible. 

5 minutes ago, Harathan said:

Some of us use actual facts, rather than the alternative facts you try to push.

:Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Meh 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,799 posts
4,733 battles

Use this instead of a link.  I did a re-install a few weeks ago and saw nary a sniff of the WGC. 

Also, don't forget that a re-install resets the Replays To Save parameter and a subsequent start deletes all your replays (>30).

WoWS_internet_install_na.exe

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,303 posts
1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

Use this instead of a link.  I did a re-install a few weeks ago and saw nary a sniff of the WGC. 

Also, don't forget that a re-install resets the Replays To Save parameter and a subsequent start deletes all your replays (>30).

WoWS_internet_install_na.exe

Awesome.  Hopefully that link remains alive.

• Meh 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,303 posts
6 minutes ago, Harathan said:

:cap_wander:

tl;dr
"I don't care about anyone else's experience, but don't spoil mine!"

Like I said, massive hypocrisy.

We all understand that you're trying really hard to make this personal, and paint me as some sort of "selfish hypocrite", and that's cute and all...  but really, it has nothing to do with "making things better" for other users.   Those torrents are just there to make it cheaper for the publisher to put updates out, nothing more, and turning them off only prevents them from hijacking your computer as a free update server.

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Meh 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,799 posts
4,733 battles
3 hours ago, TheOmegaDuck said:

Some of us have tried the WGC and got rid of it in disgust.  WE DON'T WANT IT ON OUR MACHINES AT ALL.  Therefore , the above means nothing.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 2

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,303 posts
2 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Some of us have tried the WGC and got rid of it in disgust.  WE DON'T WANT IN ON OUR MACHINES AT ALL.  Therefore , the above means nothing.

There's also the question of whether the OP can even get WGC's settings to come up at all, given the situation of it being stealth-installed as a background process.

Sign in to follow this